SDNW5 Preliminary Discussion Thread

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDNW5 Preliminary Discussion Thread

Post by The Romulan Republic »

A micronation of Romulans. I haven't posted anything here for a while, so I'm not surprised I was overlooked.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah, sure you can have a trade route. There's no real reason not to give someone a trade route instead of an NCP for something like a GDP boost.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:On the same subject as the edit in my last post...this is a question to Akhlut, Panzer, and Timothy...Arcadia is at H12, which happens to be in a direct line between Bastian and the Grays (when the map is edited anyway). Now I have already set up the Furlings as a powerful race thousands of years before game start, but they were wiped out at some point (except for the survivors on Reach and a couple other planets). Would it be possible to work them in as either a protecter of Earth (right next to Sol after all) that was destroyed trying to stop the probing/uplifting, or else just unlucky enough to get caught in the crossfire? I would have asked sooner, but I didn't know where I was going to end up on the map.
Works for me. We can figure this out in PMs over a while, but I certainly have no problems.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

You can also figure it out right here... ;)
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Yeah, it's probably best to do it in the open. Saves inbox space, too. I haven't been able to write a prologue or an order of battle yet. Been busy working on my Fallout 3 mod again and I have a paper due on Thursday. Those take up a lot of time. Anyway, I would welcome a trade route with the Romulans. We're a fairly friendly empire, decision to build a planet-wrecking hyperbazooka notwithstanding.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I'm fine doing it over PM or in the thread myself. Doesn't really matter to me considering I didn't even know if I could do it. :)

EDIT: Incidentally I can work up a fairly detailed background for the Furling Empire if needed, I just wouldn't have the Bastian/Gray/Krypton Cold War part (however that may have messed up the Empire)
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Disregard the last edit...I just decided to go through with making the Furling Empire description anyway. I'm not sure if it warrants its own post in the Nation thread or not, so I just put it with the Arcadia Republic post. If it does warrant its own post (if nothing else to make it easier to find), I'll go ahead and do it. I just put this post up to let people know about it (namely my fellow ancient race players).

EDIT: Also, Simon, would it be okay to make a one-sector micronation for the Arcadia First territory? That way people won't have to invade me in order to get at them. Because we all know they are going to tick someone off enough at some point. :wink: (it would be at J10, to stick with the 'next to London Sector' theme) It would probably fill a role similar to the Covenant or the Belkans honestly, though more hostile to other nations than me (other than the pirate aspect).
Last edited by Skywalker_T-65 on 2012-04-17 04:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hey, Rabid, could you translate "Rimward Expeditionary Fleet" into French for me? No big deal, but I'd appreciate it.

(By "rimward" I mean "in the direction of the galactic rim." "Edgeward" or something like that would mean basically the same thing; I'm looking for something that sounds like an actual French person would say it, instead of it being an obvious, blatant Google-translation)
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

We've got Space France too?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

"Rimward Expeditionary Fleet" ?

Hmmm... "Expeditionnary Fleet" [EN] => "Flotte Expéditionnaire" [FR]

"Rimward"/"Edgeward", now, that's going to be a tough one. Lemme see...

"Bordures Extérieures" [FR] => "Outer Rims" [EN]

Now there's a question of singular/plural. If I use the singular, it would refer to one particular bit of territory ("The Outer Rim"), While the plural would denote a more general idea ("The Outer Rims").

"Flotte Expéditionnaire de la Bordure Extérieure" [FR] (singular)
"Flotte Expéditionnaire des Bordures Extérieures" [FR] (plural) [note : this one sound better than the other]

"Expeditionary Fleets" [EN] => "Flottes Expéditionnaires"
Last edited by Rabid on 2012-04-17 06:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Esquire wrote:We've got Space France too?
As far as I can tell, not really. Apart from Space Greece, Space Sweden, and Space Japan, we don't have that many nations based largely on national motifs/stereotypes in this 'verse. Compare with SDNW4, where there were two Space Frances, a Space Britain, two Space Germanies, a Space Japan, a variation on Space America, a Space USSR, and even a Space Philippines.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Two Space Frances? How did that happen?

EDIT: Apostrophes don't go there...
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Don't forget the two Space Germanies. :P
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thank you, Rabid.

And no, we only had one Space Germany, and at most one-and-a-half Space Frances (the second was a seceded region of the first, and was 25% giant space ants by weight).

We did, however, have two Space Britains.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Okay so I was wrong...sue me. :P Also, can I do that micronation idea? Just want to make sure before I think up anything else.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

What micronation idea, and why do you need my permission again?

The whole point of micronations is to do random little fun stuff without having to mess around with big countries. People should feel free to create wacky single-planet-states and such without bothering to consult me. It's only the larger micronations that own a sector or two that I might want some buy-in on.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Simon_Jester wrote:Thank you, Rabid.

And no, we only had one Space Germany, and at most one-and-a-half Space Frances (the second was a seceded region of the first, and was 25% giant space ants by weight).

We did, however, have two Space Britains.
Volksland doesn't count as a Space Germany, even if it's based on the absolute nadir of German history?

ImageImageImage
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Volksland was a micronation invented by LoC9, the same guy playing the Space Prussians. So no, I don't think it counts.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Having Arcadia Firsts territory be a micronation. I just wanted to make sure I could do it, considering I'm not thinking up a new race or anything. Its just easier to differentiate between the terrorist territory and Arcadia proper this way...kind of how Terminus is a pirate nest.

EDIT: Heck, if nothing else I could just go all out and have it be a rebellious sector that just has Arcadia First leading it. That way it is large enough to be on the map, without the WTF factor of a bunch of terrorists and pirates somehow populating a whole sector on their own.
Last edited by Skywalker_T-65 on 2012-04-17 07:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Speaking of micronations, I recently obtained a copy of the Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive, and my mind immediately went back to the aborted Gallian War storyline in SDNW4. After reading through the book a few times to get a better understanding of how stuff worked in Valkyria Chronicles, I was thinking I'd reintroduce Gallia in SDNW5, this time as a single-planet state that the Belkans are planning to subvert and add to their dinky little Empire. (Particularly ironic, given that in SDNW4, the Belkans were actually the greatest benefactors of our plucky protagonists, the West Gallians.) Between Gallia and their attempts at landgrabs in the Volscian Confederacy, the Belkans are really gonna be busy at the start of the game...

ImageImageImage

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Having Arcadia Firsts territory be a micronation. I just wanted to make sure I could do it, considering I'm not thinking up a new race or anything. Its just easier to differentiate between the terrorist territory and Arcadia proper this way...kind of how Terminus is a pirate nest.
If we started the game in 3291, the three spinward provinces of Umeria would be the "Independent Spinward Republic," ruled by heroic browncoats who aim to misbehave. I fail to see the problem here.
EDIT: Heck, if nothing else I could just go all out and have it be a rebellious sector that just has Arcadia First leading it. That way it is large enough to be on the map, without the WTF factor of a bunch of terrorists and pirates somehow populating a whole sector on their own.
The only catch is that if you somehow pacify this sector, it can't artificially strengthen your own country.

No inventing micronations just to give yourself free extra muscle. Aside from that, everything goes.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

@Panzersharkcat, Skywalker: I was thinking that perhaps the Furling Empire could have seen at least the start of its downfall at the hands of the Grays through the following. Perhaps the Bastians were staging an uplifting fleet in Furling territory because their scouts found a sizable Gray presence around earth, and the Grays, having found the Bastian fleet in Furling territory, threw their own navy at the problem in a blitzkrieg/Pearl Harbor situation, and ended up destroying a large portion of the Furling fleet, causing them to withdraw in order to conserve resources, resulting in a slow decay of their power. Additionally, seeing the resulting violence led the Bastians to devise the Hyperbazooka at the expense of trying to uplift the humans.

Does that sound amenable to everyone?
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Sure. That shunts the timeline of the Hyperbazooka back but trying to get something that old decommissioned may make for more interesting story, anyway. Are you fine with the 1561 UFO sighting over Nuremberg being a skirmish between two fleets, the Tunguska event being a Bastian vessel shot down by the Grays, and the Roswell crash a Gray vessel shot down by the Bastians?
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Sounds good to me. :)
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Idea: The similarities between humans and Kryptonians provides at least a perceived drive by the Kryptonians to integrate Earth into the empire. The desire to keep Kryptonians off of Earth is one factor in the long cold war.

Thoughts?

Edit: The other powers are obviously successful in keeping the Kryptonians out until the GRB about 8-900 years before the start of the game.
Last edited by TimothyC on 2012-04-17 10:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev