SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread?

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hay, the Rail Republic is part of the FUNGAL AXIS, right? :)
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Post by Redleader34 »

Damn Straight. I have no military, besides my Super Coast Guard, and defense forces. I just want to be chill, and welcome guys to tour my tropical land. That's all good!
Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Redleader34 wrote:Damn Straight. I have no military, besides my Super Coast Guard, and defense forces. I just want to be chill, and welcome guys to tour my tropical land. That's all good!
Where do you want to be on the world map? Think carefully and quickly or Stas will pick for you. And you'll either end up right next to Liberaltopia or up north where OMSK rules.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Side by side with Shroomania!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Redleader34
Jedi Knight

Post by Redleader34 »

Hmm. Because I do not want to joint the communists... I'm a bit too... free man, and because Anarcyland will be destroyed by shep if this keeps going on, I think East of Bear''s land, or if that can't be done, south of Japa... er um Tianxia is fine.

EDIT NOTE:
I did not think there was room by shroomtopia, because all the other small nations are clustered there, so I heard talk was to send them elsewhere.
Dan's Art

"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I'd suggest south of Tianxia. The Monarchy of the Mermaid is east of the Bear Republic and Lonestar has been abusing Mermaid fishermen rather violently :?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:While Boeing is in Washington, I have all the Agriculture & Industry of California as an Island. So I guess I have the Lockheed equivalents.
Lockheed hasn't made airliners in a decades. :? Well if it really comes to it, I don't mind a joint investment by our governments to build airliners. I think my budget needs more tweaking as it is.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I make 777s. No 787s at the moment, though.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Beowulf wrote:I make 777s. No 787s at the moment, though.
How large is the company at the moment? Willing to plow investment to expand to the product range (and get 787s).
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Redleader34
Jedi Knight

Post by Redleader34 »

Then south of Tianxia it is. Another thing, Beowulf, how much would it cost to purchase a customized Royal 777, I would be interested in getting a fast means to travel across the world for diplomatic conferences.
Dan's Art

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:So does anyone here make airliners? Trying to set up an airline here.
I make Electra turbo-props, and variants there of.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Beowulf wrote:I make 777s. No 787s at the moment, though.
How large is the company at the moment? Willing to plow investment to expand to the product range (and get 787s).
Douglas Aircraft supplies aircraft (both civilian and military) to most of the MESS. It has factories in both Shinra and Tian Xia.

Transport aircraft (based off real world designations):
ATR 42
ATR 72
B737
B767
B777
C-130J
C-17
An-124

787s aren't currently on the table because they haven't actually been produced in real life. Also, they don't really have a dual use, unlike the 767 and 777 (Tanker, AEW, and patrol variants)

A customized 777 will cost up to approximately 250 million ROBs. (ROB being worth about $1). It can vary by several tens of millions depending on which variant of the 777 you want to buy.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Quick question. For FY2010, I want to buy myself a few fighters, along with some trainers that can be converted to light attack if need be. I've narrowed down my choices to the following:
  • Image Boeing F-15 Eagle
  • Image Boeing F-15E Strike Eagle
  • Image Boeing F/A-18 Hornet
  • Image Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet
  • Image Dassault Mirage 2000
  • Image Grumman F-14 Tomcat
  • Image Lockheed F-16 Fighting Falcon
  • Image Mikoyan MiG-29 "Fulcrum"
  • Image Sukhoi Su-27 "Flanker"
  • Image Sukhoi Su-30 "Flanker-C"
In terms of both cost and capability, which fighter or combination of fighters would be most appropriate for the needs of a duchy?

As for the trainers/light attack craft, I've narrowed my choices down to these two: Is one superior to the other, or is it all just a matter of personal preference?
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

What are you requirements? Your budget? You might need to go for something as small as a Gripen.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

MariusRoi wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:The other Wilkonian vessel (aside from minor shipping vessels on the order of 3-5000 DWT) which folks might be interested in if the LNG carrier which is currently the sole anounced LNG vessel. If you want to trade in gas then you probably want one (or else you can go build and maintain a pipeline).
New Patria is interested in the LNG ship, as we have a large gas field waiting to me taped.
Cost basis is around $65Million (USD) per vessel though larger contracts would drop the per unit price. Gross tonnage is around 115,000 and carrying capacity of 170,000m^3.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Shinn Langley Soryu
which fighter or combination of fighters would be most appropriate for the needs of a duchy?
Yak-130 trainer :lol: I don't see a reason for a Duchy to blow away it's entire military budget on supporting an air force. MiG-29s are cheaper than newest Sukhoi planes, but Su are also okay.

I will sell them with discount since youre in the OMSK :)

Redleader34
I'd place you somewhere off Tian Xia. ;) Just as I get home though.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stas Bush wrote:
Being is OMSK is like living down the street from Crazy Achmeds used Soviet Equipment lot, you can always find something useful at crazy good prices.

Also for your nation size, you can afford about a 700-million dollar(6 GDP%) tops. I would recommend spending no more than 500 million on it for now in order to finance the kind of growth programs to get where you need to be in order to afford an acutal military that would not be a speed-bump to most countries.

Keep in mind a flight of 4 F-22's from any Tstardom or above could take up to forty of the very best planes you could afford. So there is a very clear return on investment here. Airforce heavy is not the way to go, look to defense systems and Corvette's, Frigates or even Destroyers being a whole lot more effective if much more man-power intensive.

In other news stay tunned for a special report sometime tomorrow.
Last edited by Mr Bean on 2008-04-20 11:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

phongn wrote:What are you requirements? Your budget? You might need to go for something as small as a Gripen.
I'm going by Stas' suggestions for duchy military spending:
Stas Bush wrote:Your GDP is 6 billion, undaunting military expenses would be in the range of 0,1-0,5 billion, 60% spend on maintenance/pay, while the other 30-40% is spent on production/aquisition of new weapons and R&D, the R&D being between 10 and 20% of overall military spending
My overall defense budget is US$500 million; going by the 60/40 division between maintenance and acquisition, I effectively have only US$200 million to spend on new equipment. According to Wikipedia, the unit price of the Gripen is US$76.1 million in 2006 dollars, counting 25% value added tax; even with the tax taken out, that still translates to a unit price of around US$61 million, give or take several hundred thousand.

My own requirements are quite vague: A Mach 2+ multi-role fighter with long range capable of mounting a heavy payload relative to its size.

EDIT:
Stas Bush wrote:Shinn Langley Soryu
which fighter or combination of fighters would be most appropriate for the needs of a duchy?
Yak-130 trainer :lol: I don't see a reason for a Duchy to blow away it's entire military budget on supporting an air force. MiG-29s are cheaper than newest Sukhoi planes, but Su are also okay.

Yakovlev Yak-130, eh? Well, my future aces do need to start somewhere; they can't just jump right into the cockpits of their Flankers or Fighting Falcons. Name your price, and if the nearest Hawk or T-50 supplier can't meet or beat it, you've got yourself a deal. Actual fighters can wait until FY2011 or later.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

MiG-29: $25 million, support costs probably a million or less per the craft.
Su-27: $30 million
Su-30: $40 million

Yak-130: $10 million full complect
Last edited by K. A. Pital on 2008-04-20 11:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stas Bush wrote:MiG-29: $25 million, support costs probably a million or less per the craft.
Su-27: $30 million
Su-30: $40 million
Assuming you buy at full ticket price of course, someone might be willing to down-size part of their military and sell you the excess.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Assuming you buy at full ticket price of course
Langley is in the OMSK, so prices are negotiable (hehehe). For example, a 30% cut on all fighters ;)

I'm not selling stuff out of my inventory, I prefer to keep my arms industry vitalized. Else, it would fall into malaise after several years of no orders.

Assalti Frontali
Redleader34
Jedi Knight

Post by Redleader34 »

Could one go older, and buy MiG 21s, as I see all sorts of small nations fielding them. Not for me, as my biggest expense will be the purchase of 1 Long Range (think South African Airlines) 777s for the Diplomacy, as well as ordering a diplomatic Yacht from Shroom's nation. We may also purchase trains from the Red Techomancy, if they are willing to export any Hi-Speed TGV models.
Dan's Art

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

A 777? Come on! I could outfit a custom An-225 for you. That's way more badass; also, it fits a super-huge penthouse. And only $200 million pricetag - for the biggest plane in the world ;) 15 400 km range ;)

As for trains, we're interested in testing out Jet Train testbeds on your territory. We will run them gratis ;)

Assalti Frontali
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Shinn Langley Soryu - Aircraft is where I come in at. I've got a very nice AD-3E [Armed Drone - 3 Export] package ( 4 drones, and a ground station) for just 20 million for OMSK members. It doesn't do Air to air well, but it's a good way to get eyes in the sky on the cheep. The AD-3E is also capable of carrying a solid 600 lbs.

I also am currently working on the early stages of a New Earth Version of the HAL Tejas fighter (lightweight 4.5 generation fighter with a two seat trainer). It's current first flight isn't scheduled until 2011, and the cost would be about the same as a MiG-29, but those figures could come down if I had a partner in the project.
Last edited by TimothyC on 2008-04-21 12:04am, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

As we are going to be Probing them soon enough, some information on the moons.

1-Chang-Ngo, Orbits at 85,000 Kilometers, 393 kilometers in Diameter, completly geologically inactivce sphere of stone and metal ore
2-Selene, Orbits at 350,000 Kilometers, 4,013 kilometers in diameter. Similar to Luna in most respects
3-Rhea, Orbits at 500,00 Kilometers, 2,210 Kilometers in diameter, Geologically active with numerous volcanic eruptions from a comparatively recent largescale meteor impact with a rather large crater on the far side.

Zor
Last edited by Zor on 2008-04-21 12:23am, edited 1 time in total.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor