SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread II

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
And then the blip representing the Shooting Pains winked out of existence.
:(
This was the Umerian ship with an Anglian liaison on board, right?
Man, RogueIce, you are terrible.
Nope. I already killed Shooting Pains. There are three Umerian cutter viewpoints:

Corsair-J class ELINT cutter CG-85484 “Heavenly Body."
Heavenly Body has hot bikini babe noseart that looks suspiciously like the cutter's EWO, and with an Anglian liaison on board. They're the ones that spotted the frigate. The ELINT cutters have a ton of sensors and stuff; they're sneaking around in hyperspace in the shoals and the biggest risk they face is having their drives crap out on them. None of them are fighting the Pendletonian frigate.

Contrary to what Rogue implies, Heavenly Body did not go to Pendleton. It's just part of the wall of sensor ships parked in the Bannerman Gap to spot ships coming toward the blockade force.

Corsair-C class pursuit cutter CG-81634 “Greyhound.”
Greyhound, AKA Piranha Five or Piranha Leader, is commanded by Lt. Commander Audrey Cardwell. The pursuit cutters' job is to grab enemy ships in hyperspace using tractor beams and gator-wrestle them into normal space. They've been kind of hanging back during the actual battle with the frigate so far on account of not having any nuclear missiles.

Corsair-F class customs cutter CG-88312 “Shooting Pains.”
Shooting Pains, AKA Viking One or Bravo Leader*, is was commanded by Commander Bob Copeland. The customs cutters were the ones that launched the mass nuclear missile attack, but they've been closer in than the pursuit cutters and took a lot of hits in the part of the fight I've written so far.

*There are were four eight-cutter squadrons, each numbered "[Something] One" through "[Something] Eight," and the overall force is "Bravo" as in "Bravo Line," because that's what they're assigned to.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I know it was you who blew up the Shooting Pains, mang. BREAK BREAK!

But RogueIce's depiction of the events was totally sads. Yet funnies.

Those plucky little bastards just might pull this one off... *blip disappears* :(

:lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ah do declare this is a MOST unfortunate turn of events. *sips Ice Tea*.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I know it was you who blew up the Shooting Pains, mang. BREAK BREAK!

But RogueIce's depiction of the events was totally sads. Yet funnies.

Those plucky little bastards just might pull this one off... *blip disappears* :(

:lol:
They aren't dead yet!

Well, most of them aren't.
Lonestar wrote:Ah do declare this is a MOST unfortunate turn of events. *sips Ice Tea*.
Now, let's see if you keep your feathers numbered for just such an emergency as is about to arise...
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The Grand Dominion has ZERO interests in foreign adventures, although it will run around expanding its influence in unclaimed sectors adjacent to it's territory fighting piracy.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

How do you people get such up-to-date information on crap? People can observe faraway happenings in the galaxy in real-time? Or is this just GODDAMN UNREAL TIME?
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:How do you people get such up-to-date information on crap? People can observe faraway happenings in the galaxy in real-time? Or is this just GODDAMN UNREAL TIME?
We got it from the Sheppos, who are our homeboys.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

So the other guys in the fleet are also sending real-time information to their guys back home? Like, Stephen Garrett XIX or Rufus Space Shinra are also able to monitor the battle as it happens?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:So the other guys in the fleet are also sending real-time information to their guys back home? Like, Stephen Garrett XIX or Rufus Space Shinra are also able to monitor the battle as it happens?
I doubt it's "real time".
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

It isn't.
Shroom wrote: Stephen Garrett XIX
Hey! My original self was a good Cascadian Republican, that one of his many many descendants deigns to be a loyal Anglian subject and PM of HM Government does not dilute that fact! :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Basically, all we can get in real time out of the fleet is text messages, of roughly normal text message length. And it takes a ridiculous amount of power to send them.

So a detailed analysis of what the hell happened is going to have to wait for later. For now most of what we're getting from them is probably stuff like "OH GOD WHY" and "The metal lives, the metal lives the metal lives..." and "Aaaah! NO! Not the face!"
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Hmm... I'm almost tempted to insert an Inquisitor who was on Pendleton a month before the blockade started... Maybe in a shuttle or something. Optimized for stealth of course...
Last edited by Fingolfin_Noldor on 2010-08-06 03:13am, edited 1 time in total.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Tell me when the hostilities are over and all that - regardless of who wins. The Commune ship will pass through the battlefield and disassemble a few dead (if we find any in ship wrecks) for information, if none of the players object to that (Anglia can try to lock the battlefield to foreign starships post-conflict if they win... in that case, the Commune operatives will try to visit the planet Pendleton and get the necessary information from those who died on the ground).
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:How do you people get such up-to-date information on crap?
Sheppo battlestars have fairly powerful FTL transmitters. They can transmit 200-300 byte groups across the interstellar gulf; which then are picked up by Sheppo FTL Comms buoys and relayed back to home-plate.

From there on, it's passing on information to allies.

But at such distances and interference conditions; you're limited to quick text summaries liek I'm doing; rather than a full detailed breakdown of casualties with goddamn 1960s graphs.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:How do you people get such up-to-date information on crap?
Hey, don't look at me, the Umerians have no freaking clue what's going on.
People can observe faraway happenings in the galaxy in real-time? Or is this just GODDAMN UNREAL TIME?
That's probably a factor. Between the time it takes hyperwave signals to travel and the time it takes government councils to react to news, it's totally reasonable for foreign powers to be reacting to news that a battle is beginning after the battle in question is already over.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Well, we might have a delay to the complete conclusion to stuff on Pendleton, something's come up and 'Zook will be mostly offline for a few days. I'm going to see about wrapping up enough of a scene he started to make another post-able section of story.

Edit: Done. Until PeZook comes back we won't get the conclusion up, though.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hmm. A lot of people never put anything up in the military expansion thread.

Does that mean they haven't made up their minds, haven't gotten around to posting, aren't planning any new construction, or what?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Simon_Jester wrote:they haven't made up their minds, haven't gotten around to posting
This.

For me, at least.

In other news, COMMANDER HUSHY CONQUERS!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shroom, I have to say, for better and for worse, you've really surpassed yourself with this one.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

To be honest I ran out of words to describe a decent space battle so I decided to write something like my War on Whores using terrible descriptions and serial killer stuff and talking about slaughtered animals and other such nonsense in a deliberately nonsensical manner. I think it turned out to be a very funny way of writing a space battle.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So... having run out of ways to describe a decent space battle, you shifted to describing an indecent space battle. Makes sense.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Hmm, may have to tweak the Chamarran news report...either that or our ability to get news from the clear other side of known space is just shoddy.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Hurrah! We're not all going to die at the hands of the Goddamn Collectors! :D
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Darkevilme wrote:Hmm, may have to tweak the Chamarran news report...either that or our ability to get news from the clear other side of known space is just shoddy.
LIBRUL MEDIA! Goddamn defeatist... anti-Chamarran space hippies! Defeatists! What a bunch of pussies!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Dammit, Shep, couldn't you have waited until we were actually posting the planetary landings being underway? And precisely what excuse is your captain going to use for opening fire without orders and away from any landing spots?