SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread VIII

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread VIII

Post by Lonestar »

Hey PeZook, would a major PeZookian university and/or agency like to build something like the Huygens probe?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

And does the Latin Patriarch shit in the woods?

Of course they would :D

It would probably be a co-operative project between the King Paul Academy of the Sciences in Orena, the Mielec Aerospace Research Institute and Orena Technical University, though.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Well, feel free to write a post saying y'all are building it. You can give it your own name.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Raj, are you interested in reviving that particle collider?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Raj, are you interested in reviving that particle collider?
Well I haven't thought of it to tell you the truth. The semi constructed site is still sitting around though, and if your diplomats bring it up it could very well be restarted as a joint scientific project.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Raj Ahten wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Raj, are you interested in reviving that particle collider?
Well I haven't thought of it to tell you the truth. The semi constructed site is still sitting around though, and if your diplomats bring it up it could very well be restarted as a joint scientific project.
I'm willing to restart it with funding from my High Energy Institute, and probably some from the UCSR. You could rope in your other Frequesue nations into it if you want.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

And another world leader attempts to bring a ground convoy into San Dorado. I'm telling ya, none of you read those fancy brochures our diplomatic branch sends out! If you're a dignitary you travel by helicopter, if you're middle management you ride the overzoom or the monorails, and only if you're totally desperate or feeling particularly suicidal you drive a car in San Dorado City highway traffic.

Honestly, you don't want to drive a motorcade into San Dorado. And even if you did we wouldn't let you, because it's bad press to have foreign leaders get stuck in Sprawl traffic in the middle of a blockwar or some other kind of upheaval. Instead we'll arrange for a helicade that'll happily carry you and your entourage to any of the numerous downtown heliports.

Welcome to San Dorado!
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Stas Bush wrote:1) Coastal ships still need speed to be able to patrol their zones
2) River monitors are not supposed to engage the enemy with 1000m diameter missiles; they'd most likely have sufficient armament with a few large-caliber artillery guns...
I'll try it out. Would racks of smaller missiles work?
3) Consider the weight. I'm just approximating, but each Granit missile weighs 7 tons, yours would be even heavier. They'd weigh almost 500 tons, which is a large fraction of the ship's total tonnage. That can lead to unexpected performance changes during the firing...
500 tonnes each, or total? :shock: <-- Note to self; Do not post before breakfast.

The 1000mm includes fixed wings (which I use for the most part), so quite a bit of it is empty space, under normal circumstances.

Those tubes were meant to be able to accomodate something the size of an S-300 with up to a 1m fixed wingspan. You could theoretically launch a 1m diameter missile from those, but its just not done at this point.
I just presumed building heavily armored river cutters for rivers and fast attack craft for coastal patrols is a more efficient solution to the problem. A large number of coastal attack craft is better than a few obscenely expensive half-monitors..
Would it really be obscenely expensive? I haven't gone nuts and incorporated all the bells and whistles that the LCS has. In all seriousness, it just has a similar hull design because I liked the look of it.
But then, it's the Miratian approach to arms design :lol:
Indeed, as handled by a 20-year old with zero military experience and questionable engineering skills.

Nevertheless, I enjoy it at this level, which is why I do it. You could say my country suffers from my creativity. :P
Last edited by Ryan Thunder on 2009-05-12 10:51am, edited 1 time in total.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

SiegeTank wrote:And another world leader attempts to bring a ground convoy into San Dorado. I'm telling ya, none of you read those fancy brochures our diplomatic branch sends out! If you're a dignitary you travel by helicopter, if you're middle management you ride the overzoom or the monorails, and only if you're totally desperate or feeling particularly suicidal you drive a car in San Dorado City highway traffic.

Honestly, you don't want to drive a motorcade into San Dorado. And even if you did we wouldn't let you, because it's bad press to have foreign leaders get stuck in Sprawl traffic in the middle of a blockwar or some other kind of upheaval. Instead we'll arrange for a helicade that'll happily carry you and your entourage to any of the numerous downtown heliports.

Welcome to San Dorado!
Noted :lol: . I had forgotten about some of the , ah, intricacies of travel in San Dorado. My security people probably have a heart attack every time I fly in there.

I imagine they'd want to inspect the helicopters and put one of their own pilots at the controls of the presidents bird. Such things could probably have been taken care of by the advance team?
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Yes, I imagine such things as how many and which kind of helicopters are provided, who pilots them, and what kind of defensive package they carry would have been dealt with in advance. It just wouldn't do to leave you waiting on the tarmac as our people quibbled over petty details after all :D.

I'll write a post receiving you and getting us on our way to the Presidential abode ASAP.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Shall we call a recess during the summit and discuss the final accord and then propose it?
The summit has become a non-event that is sucking my patience and creativity. Let's just post the egreed results in OOC and be done with it; I'm quite frankly tired of it and have no desire to pursue it any more.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Coyote wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Shall we call a recess during the summit and discuss the final accord and then propose it?
The summit has become a non-event that is sucking my patience and creativity. Let's just post the egreed results in OOC and be done with it; I'm quite frankly tired of it and have no desire to pursue it any more.
*Sigh* While some points are easy to handwave, Frequesue's is something a bit more subtle...
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

The NFT is not signing anything until at least the matter of Tian Xian troops on the North-Frequesuan shores has been addressed. We didn't raise that point for shits and giggles, you know. Either this is settled in some concrete fashion or we'll consider the summit a total bust and strongly consider just leaving altogether.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

SiegeTank wrote:The NFT is not signing anything until at least the matter of Tian Xian troops on the North-Frequesuan shores has been addressed. We didn't raise that point for shits and giggles, you know. Either this is settled in some concrete fashion or we'll consider the summit a total bust and strongly consider just leaving altogether.
That, and the ones in Mortimer's Claim make me edgy. If we're going to do peace-keeping missions there, they need to be multilateral, and they need to be announced before hand with details of who's sending exactly what and exactly where its being sent.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Coyote wrote:
By now the world leaders and other dignitaries have gone, and now it's up to the beauracrats to actually write shit.

So IOW, OOC.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
SiegeTank wrote:The NFT is not signing anything until at least the matter of Tian Xian troops on the North-Frequesuan shores has been addressed. We didn't raise that point for shits and giggles, you know. Either this is settled in some concrete fashion or we'll consider the summit a total bust and strongly consider just leaving altogether.
That, and the ones in Mortimer's Claim make me edgy. If we're going to do peace-keeping missions there, they need to be multilateral, and they need to be announced before hand with details of who's sending exactly what and exactly where its being sent.
Because god forbid I create a base on the other side of a fairly large river, and use that to invade you, instead of rolling up the land border I already have with you.

And as for the construction of the naval base in the jungles of North Frequesque, which everyone acknowledges as Terra Nullis, that is, uninhabited and ungoverned, that base will remain. Considering there aren't any fighter or bomb wings stationed there, it's no where near as threatening as you try to make it seem. My avatar doesn't take demands from a pissant country very well. And it's not as if the UCSR base in Livorno isn't threatening to me and Karmic.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Beowulf wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote:
Because god forbid I create a base on the other side of a fairly large river, and use that to invade you, instead of rolling up the land border I already have with you.
Which is already defended, mind you. My coastal defenses on that coast are geared to deal with pirates and at worst, organized pirates. They're not meant to deal with advanced MESS kit, and rebuilding them to do so is expensive. That's an expense that, as you can imagine, I'm not too keen on paying right now.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Beowulf wrote:And as for the construction of the naval base in the jungles of North Frequesque, which everyone acknowledges as Terra Nullis, that is, uninhabited and ungoverned, that base will remain. Considering there aren't any fighter or bomb wings stationed there, it's no where near as threatening as you try to make it seem. My avatar doesn't take demands from a pissant country very well. And it's not as if the UCSR base in Livorno isn't threatening to me and Karmic.
:roll: I see it's the same old Tian Xian routine. Yada yada, pissant country, and so forth. That base of yours is a clear and present threat to my nation, and if you're unwilling to negotiate its removal we'll draw our conclusions from that. I.e. screw the summit, and we'll reinforce the missile launchers.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Which is already defended, mind you. My coastal defenses on that coast are geared to deal with pirates and at worst, organized pirates. They're not meant to deal with advanced MESS kit, and rebuilding them to do so is expensive. That's an expense that, as you can imagine, I'm not too keen on paying right now.
And yet, it'd make no difference, because if I really wanted to invade you, I'd just stage from Tian Jiao, and go right up the river. Of course, the more likely scenario is that I'd just destroy you, and damn the idea of invading. Much cheaper in blood and treasure.
SiegeTank wrote::roll: I see it's the same old Tian Xian routine. Yada yada, pissant country, and so forth. That base of yours is a clear and present threat to my nation, and if you're unwilling to negotiate its removal we'll draw our conclusions from that. I.e. screw the summit, and we'll reinforce the missile launchers.
Yup, a base with no ships and only helicopters as the aircraft permanently stationed there is a clear and present threat. You're going to need more than a stick to convince me to remove it. Unfortunately, I can't think of any carrots that the NFT has.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Beowulf wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote:Which is already defended, mind you. My coastal defenses on that coast are geared to deal with pirates and at worst, organized pirates. They're not meant to deal with advanced MESS kit, and rebuilding them to do so is expensive. That's an expense that, as you can imagine, I'm not too keen on paying right now.
And yet, it'd make no difference, because if I really wanted to invade you, I'd just stage from Tian Jiao, and go right up the river.
And again, I have defenses against a MESS invasion staged from Tian Jiao that'd whittle away at whatever task force you'd send up that way. For all the good it'd do, since you'd probably just overwhelm them, anyway.
Of course, the more likely scenario is that I'd just destroy you, and damn the idea of invading. Much cheaper in blood and treasure.
Well, of course. Hence the agreement with CATO. The point was that "Assuming you were to invade..."

In any event, you're landing troops with zero warning or prior agreement, whilst complaining about "sudden shifts in the balance of power." That doesn't look too good.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

I guess it is safe to say the summit has collapsed.
Kreia
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Hey, there's at least one carrot that could result in me removing troops from the N. F-ing base...
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

And that solves the problem... how? When you have troops too on the opposite border?
Kreia
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Coyote I'm going to try and get a post up in the next day or so discussing Indhopal's future relationship with Japanistan. It's something I've been meaning to do for awhile now but haven't quite gotten around to yet.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Beowulf wrote:Yup, a base with no ships and only helicopters as the aircraft permanently stationed there is a clear and present threat. You're going to need more than a stick to convince me to remove it. Unfortunately, I can't think of any carrots that the NFT has.
It's 'no ships and only helicopters' now, but the fact is that once there's a base up and running there it'll be easy to expand it to include ships and fighters and who knows what else. The point remains: if you're unwilling to negotiate this point than as far as we're concerned the summit is a total farce and we might just as well not have convened it in the first place.

But if you want to play this in terms of carrots and sticks, I'll tell you what: you remove that base and I'll reduce the number of nuclear cruise missiles pointed at Tian Jiao.