2014 STGOD OOC Commentary Thread 1

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: 2014 STGOD OOC Commentary Thread 1

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Thanas wrote:So a lot of what I am writing will probably have to be retcons, including the state visit of Rheinland to Britonia.

As for the freighter, you can all be free to intervene, but I don't see much sense for Orion to have forces there, nor for Umeria to have forces there as well (given how large their influence zone is). Actually, the Likedeeler and Großbremen will have a rather innovative solution for the pirates, but I don't require the freighter for that. Best leave it in the hands of pirates (unless any of you are willing to conduct a risky assault to free the ship, which makes little sense to me given the powers and risks involved).
Corona would only assault the ship as a last resort. Especially if their are hostages on board. First step will be to negotiate.

Edit: Probably while consulting with your government since its one of your freighters apparently.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well it is owned by a Großbremen shipping company and Großbremen is sorta semi-sovereign, so Rheinland proper would play a small role there, if any.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thanas wrote:As for the freighter, you can all be free to intervene, but I don't see much sense for Orion to have forces there, nor for Umeria to have forces there as well (given how large their influence zone is). Actually, the Likedeeler and Großbremen will have a rather innovative solution for the pirates, but I don't require the freighter for that. Best leave it in the hands of pirates (unless any of you are willing to conduct a risky assault to free the ship, which makes little sense to me given the powers and risks involved).
This is true; the Umerian navy may sail those waters but they're too large for a fleet of roughly 100 surface vessels plus... I haven't counted up the submarines... to really patrol in any dense, secure sense of the word.

Although "somewhere off the Vedic coast" is likely to be the location of one of the loci that cruising Umerian fleets would tend to focus around. Of all the places even peripherally within Umeria's sphere of influence, it's the one most likely to experience a blowup.

So patrols might be thickening.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Not that I've been posting much to begin with (just lurking and trying and failing to find inspiration), but I'll be gone until 31 August. Try not to blow up Tellus when I'm not looking.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:Not that I've been posting much to begin with (just lurking and trying and failing to find inspiration), but I'll be gone until 31 August. Try not to blow up Tellus when I'm not looking.
"whistles tunelessly"

Anyhoo, I should have another post on the continuing Cali situation up soon.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Corona picks up the distress call. Also introducing HMS Monarch and her captain, which ties this into my diplomacy with Shinra story line.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Yay! Are you going to announce you're coming? I can get my boat to stand down again then :)
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I didn't mention it, but feel free to say that Monarch broadcast a message to nearby militaries informing them of their intention to go to the freighter's aid.

Edited.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Uhm, outside of some very long range detections, any military or coast guard ship is going to have some form or radio direction finding.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

How precise would it be?
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

It's not going to give a range, but it will give a bearing, likely no wider than 5-10°. Once you start moving, if they are still transmitting as you close, you can narrow it down.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Okay. I can work that or an explanation for its absence into my next post.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Incidentally, Siege, that is an awesome looking ship.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Ok, "later today" didn't happen, but it's up now. A free cookie to anyone who guesses where I got the idea for this final assassination.

Thanas and I should have something about our treaty up soon as well.

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Ok, "later today" didn't happen, but it's up now. A free cookie to anyone who guesses where I got the idea for this final assassination.

It was used (and missed it's target - hit a pimp instead of the head of the FSB) in the Clancy book Bear and the Dragon.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

In real world time, how long before the terrorism conference?
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

We could start any time, I think.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

gah, I was hoping to do a briefing post to my minister, but there's pretty much no chance of that happening this week. ok, Nm. I'll improvise based on what is happening when I've got time to write properly on this.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

TimothyC wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Ok, "later today" didn't happen, but it's up now. A free cookie to anyone who guesses where I got the idea for this final assassination.

It was used (and missed it's target - hit a pimp instead of the head of the FSB) in the Clancy book Bear and the Dragon.
You get a cookie.

As for real-world time until the conference, next weekend would be a good time, I start my new job on Monay so i'm not sure how much time I'll have during the week.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Steve wrote:We could start any time, I think.
Would it involve a substantial move forward in time that would conflict with the two stories I'm currently involved in (spying in Cali and anti-piracy stuff)? I can work around it if it does (write something up after the fact explaining the outcome of those events), but I'd like to know.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

You don't have to move your stories forward just because the general time progression went along. The only instances where that's really an issue if it is a Major Event that could have potential international ramifications; even if it's "just" something that happened in your country, but would affect how people interact with you (like a coup occurring, for example).

Otherwise you can just backdate it if you want and it won't significantly alter things. Unless your Cali stuff, for instance, will intersect with other people but in that case you can just coordinate with the other PCs involved to keep some coherence between yourselves.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It also helps to observe some time spacing. Usually, major events can comfortably take place weeks apart unless it's a really fast-paced thing like different parts of the same major air/naval action.

Assassinations, for instance, are usually either 'lone nut' things done on the spur of the moment that tend to fail, or they are meticulously planned for days or weeks in advance by people who spent months before that gathering intelligence on their targets.

Things take time. Especially when whole governments are involved. I mean, think about the 9/11 attacks. The direct retaliation for that began with airstrikes in Afghanistan four weeks after the attack. Special forces only began coordinating effectively and launching offensives with anti-Taliban forces in November, two months later. Large US formations only appeared on the ground about 10-12 weeks after the initial attack in New York, and troops were still clearing the Tora Bora caves into January.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

RogueIce wrote:You don't have to move your stories forward just because the general time progression went along. The only instances where that's really an issue if it is a Major Event that could have potential international ramifications; even if it's "just" something that happened in your country, but would affect how people interact with you (like a coup occurring, for example).

Otherwise you can just backdate it if you want and it won't significantly alter things. Unless your Cali stuff, for instance, will intersect with other people but in that case you can just coordinate with the other PCs involved to keep some coherence between yourselves.
The events in Cali have potential to affect Corona's relationship with Orion and its participation in the terrorism conference if Corona catches on to Orion assassinating people and stirring things up.

I doubt the piracy stuff will have major ramifications other than perhaps getting Corona to step up international anti-piracy efforts.

Edit: Does anyone know who launched those airstrikes in Cali?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Wait.

Fischer... had a leopard. In his lap. While landing on an aircraft carrier.

He had a leopard. In his lap. While landing on an aircraft carrier.

That man has balls of steel. If he didn't before, he'd have to have them implanted now as prosthetics.

O_o
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:Wait.

Fischer... had a leopard. In his lap. While landing on an aircraft carrier.

He had a leopard. In his lap. While landing on an aircraft carrier.

That man has balls of steel. If he didn't before, he'd have to have them implanted now as prosthetics.

O_o
A heavily sedated leopard, mind you. He's not that quite insane. :lol:
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs