Modern World STGOD Concept

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Re: Modern World STGOD Concept

Post by Force Lord »

I've got no problems with the whole Francia concept (being the one who came up with it in the first place). As for the other namings, I have no issues at the moment. If I do end up considering changing the names of my (ex-)colonies (I have no ideas for that right now), I'll be sure to tell you.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Curently I`m thinking of spreading my micro nations out into three groups,with one group per continent. Proposal one would sit near Reinland,seeing as they might've seen the destruction of the 80 year war as a strong reason to conserve and expand culture in the face of such destruction. Think a Greco-Persian culture would work there?

Proposal two I see fitting most in the area of Umeria as a Bejing like or Tiwan like state soewhat issolated from greater Umerian culture.

Proposals 3-5 would work well enough in the semi American continent as a failed nation living in the shadow of the greater Republics there. Think the great lakes ish in terms of geography and I'd be content.

An errors intyping are thanks to mobile keyboard that Im still not used to using with a browser. But these locations would be nearly ideal, allowing me to interact with nearly any other playr easily.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Sorchus, if you want to go for proposal two, would you rather be inland (control of key mountain pass) or coastal? Coastal might be interesting; El Presidente's place would kind of have to be a major container port or something cool. Maybe a Hong-Kong equivalent that became independent rather than getting handed back to Umeria after the lease expired?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Steve wrote:Note: I'm up for opposition to any naming in this or the concept of Francia being in a big war at the turn of the century, a clear counterpart to the Napoleonic wars.
Francia being a counterpart would be ok with me, with Rheinland playing Prussia in such a war.

I am currently occupied with the draft but if Pezook and Fin got a general topography of their nations I'll try and add them to the east of Rheinland if they want to. Right now I am thinking of Pezook either being to the immediate east of Rheinland (sharing the general division of steppe/arctic north), maybe with mountain ranges to seperate to explain why they never got much headway into Rheinland (alternatively the steppe regions of Rheinland could be former horde territory that was civilized in the 1600s or so) and Fin to the south or southeast of him. If you got any idea about the general shape of your countries I would like to hear them, alternatively I could just start drawing and you could refine it as you wish.

Katr_Kana could be to the southeast of Rheinland as sort of a buffer state between Fin and Rheinland which would both hinder possible invasions.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

It's sort of important to my nascent history ideas that Aurum be on a moderate-use trade route.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Thanas wrote: I am currently occupied with the draft but if Pezook and Fin got a general topography of their nations I'll try and add them to the east of Rheinland if they want to. Right now I am thinking of Pezook either being to the immediate east of Rheinland (sharing the general division of steppe/arctic north), maybe with mountain ranges to seperate to explain why they never got much headway into Rheinland (alternatively the steppe regions of Rheinland could be former horde territory that was civilized in the 1600s or so) and Fin to the south or southeast of him. If you got any idea about the general shape of your countries I would like to hear them, alternatively I could just start drawing and you could refine it as you wish.
My history accounts for Rhineland possibly getting some Kagarian territorry and civilizing it with some success - check my post at the "golden horde" entry.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Ahriman238 wrote:It's sort of important to my nascent history ideas that Aurum be on a moderate-use trade route.
Let's get continents set up, then we'll find a good trade route for you. Do you have any idea on who you'd rather be close to?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Simon_Jester wrote:Sorchus, if you want to go for proposal two, would you rather be inland (control of key mountain pass) or coastal? Coastal might be interesting; El Presidente's place would kind of have to be a major container port or something cool. Maybe a Hong-Kong equivalent that became independent rather than getting handed back to Umeria after the lease expired?
Yeah when I wrote Beijing I really meant Hong Kong. My bad. However I don't won't to step on Sieges toes on having a very small super city state, so I was thinking a larger area (something like Rhode Island or Delaware in size.) So 2000-5000 km2 total land area with an independent government in a decent trade location.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Made a few more additions to Fuso's history. As to where I got the inspiration for "Fernanda Marcos" and "Benita Aquino-Cojuangco," well... I'll just leave this and this here. (Always be vigilant for NSFW ads if you're not running an adblocker.)

Also, I'm particularly interested in hearing from Force Lord, as it concerns the nature of National Populism. While it goes without saying that there would certainly be sympathizers in other countries, have the various despots of Granadia ever been the sort to try actively exporting their ideology?
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Steve wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:It's sort of important to my nascent history ideas that Aurum be on a moderate-use trade route.
Let's get continents set up, then we'll find a good trade route for you. Do you have any idea on who you'd rather be close to?
Probably Dreisgrond for the colonial history.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Thanas wrote: I am currently occupied with the draft but if Pezook and Fin got a general topography of their nations I'll try and add them to the east of Rheinland if they want to. Right now I am thinking of Pezook either being to the immediate east of Rheinland (sharing the general division of steppe/arctic north), maybe with mountain ranges to seperate to explain why they never got much headway into Rheinland (alternatively the steppe regions of Rheinland could be former horde territory that was civilized in the 1600s or so) and Fin to the south or southeast of him. If you got any idea about the general shape of your countries I would like to hear them, alternatively I could just start drawing and you could refine it as you wish.

Katr_Kana could be to the southeast of Rheinland as sort of a buffer state between Fin and Rheinland which would both hinder possible invasions.
I haven't quite decided what shape my country will take, or whether I should just set the land area as it is. I might decide to go for some appropriately Russian shaped country but I dunno.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

So it'll be a little longer before I have my concept typed up since I forgot about mothers day and apparently we're going on a road trip to go see my mother-in-law. Will have it up as soon as possible.

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I haven't quite decided what shape my country will take, or whether I should just set the land area as it is. I might decide to go for some appropriately Russian shaped country but I dunno.
You are still planning on having a strong Navy, right?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I want the Kingdom of Corona to be on a coast, have mountainous terrain, and be somewhere with a temperate to cold climate. If that's not possible, please let me know so I can rewrite stuff.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Was this directed at me? Didn't know you were next to Rheinland.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

It's to Steve (he's designing the map, right?). I'm sorry I was unclear.

Anyway, I'm not sure about being next to your country. It might be interesting, but I'm not sure I want Corona's history to include being involved in your wars. That said, if I have mountains to isolate Corona it might not be an issue.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Thanas wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I haven't quite decided what shape my country will take, or whether I should just set the land area as it is. I might decide to go for some appropriately Russian shaped country but I dunno.
You are still planning on having a strong Navy, right?
I think I have to have a balance all 3 but maybe an emphasis on a navy because of the large coastline..

Most of the army guns will be aimed at the Khangarians though :D
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Corona could also potentially be on the Omnia-Umeria supercontinent I'm intending to put, or in an approximate position to South America.

And I'm hoping Zook does the map, I just did a rough one to show logical locations. I'm waiting on more people to give approximate shapes for their continents/countries to plug everything together.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Interesting idea.

Are we using real life landscapes, or can we alter the terrain and vegetation in our countries?
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Interesting idea.

Are we using real life landscapes, or can we alter the terrain and vegetation in our countries?
Pretty much fictional. I doubt anyone is going to get worked up about it unless you do something silly like "Himalaya-sized mountain ranges across ALL borders HAHAHAHA" to prevent invasions or be OP or whatever.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Landscapes are fictional. I may use some RL stuff for Cascadia, but it'll be mixed with fictional stuff.

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

SANDEX could be operating petrogas and cargo terminals in your nation, if that'd be of interest to you. It'd use them as a transshipment hub as an extension of its freight empire.
Agent Sorchus wrote:I don't won't to step on Sieges toes on having a very small super city state, so I was thinking a larger area (something like Rhode Island or Delaware in size.) So 2000-5000 km2 total land area with an independent government in a decent trade location.
Much appreciated, although I'm confident there's space for more than one city-state in the world. Incidentally, San Dorado is 20.648 square kilometers, so about the size of Slovenia or Israel. I suppose that technically doesn't make it a traditional 'city state', even though it is pretty much all city.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Quite a few ancient city-states had a hinterland hundreds of times the area of the core metropolis that was under their political domination. San Dorado just scales up the concept. :D

Speaking for myself, the main obstacle I have in drawing a map of Umeria is that I don't actually care very much about the geography of Umeria. My interest is in the people, not the places. I don't particularly care whether the coastline faces north, south, east or west. Or if the remote and hostile 'Outer Umeria' parts of the country are forests, tundra, or desert. Or if there are substantial coastal island possessions. I can adjust my concept of what the country is to incorporate any of those things, based on my much more important concept of who the country is.

Now, I may be able to doodle up a map of some kind- Big Generic Blob-country with some rivers and mountains and so on, which Steve can bodge onto other countries as he pleases.

But I'd be happier if he'd just draw a dotted blob on the map, roughly 3-4 million square kilometers (about the size of India, not nearly so densely populated) and say "OK, Umeria goes here, coastline points THAT way, go to town" and then let me figure out the basic layout after I know what general latitudes and surrounding landforms look like.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Thanas wrote:
Steve wrote:Note: I'm up for opposition to any naming in this or the concept of Francia being in a big war at the turn of the century, a clear counterpart to the Napoleonic wars.
Francia being a counterpart would be ok with me, with Rheinland playing Prussia in such a war.

I am currently occupied with the draft but if Pezook and Fin got a general topography of their nations I'll try and add them to the east of Rheinland if they want to. Right now I am thinking of Pezook either being to the immediate east of Rheinland (sharing the general division of steppe/arctic north), maybe with mountain ranges to seperate to explain why they never got much headway into Rheinland (alternatively the steppe regions of Rheinland could be former horde territory that was civilized in the 1600s or so) and Fin to the south or southeast of him. If you got any idea about the general shape of your countries I would like to hear them, alternatively I could just start drawing and you could refine it as you wish.

I wouldn't mind that, in fact I was actually picturing my nation being on the same continent as Rheinland and Rheinland's power being one of the major forces driving the union of the Republics into a single larger state. Once they lost their colonies and no longer had that wealth and power to draw on.

Also on that note anyone who wants to play a former colony can use one of the Republics as their former rulers. I'll try and get the names of the Republics up later, I can do that much from the tablet on a wifi connection at least.

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I'm going to hold off on more history until we fill in the map, since Cascadia will have had colonies and I want to see how the map looks before I fill them in. I approve entirely of Shinn's history involving me. I also add that in my view, the reason it took Cascadia so long to go after the Nipponese is that they were facing a war on the home continent that was tying up all of their power; I was thinking it might be the state that replaced New Granadia and/or another state north of Beo's state as New Granadia is south of it; that brown state on my eastern border is the result of the war, a Plains Republic of American tribes that were given independence after the defeat of that enemy. Fighting the continental war, and needing resources devoted to airpower to thwart bombing of the Cascadian homeland and to do the same to the enemy, is why it took as long as it did for the Cascadian Navy to be ready for the counter-attack on Nippon.