SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread VII

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread VII

Post by Simon_Jester »

I too want to see more of this stuff coming into the OOC thread too. The only real limit on its use is the way it slows down conversation: I can settle in ten minutes of online chat what would take two or three days to deal with in the OOC thread. I don't know what to do about that.
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I have a question. If we are going to be so uppity over what is essentially a technological device and what it can do and what it can't do, never mind what an Esper can do, does that imply we are totally against any notion of technological development in this version of SDNW?
The timescale of the setting suggests that technology evolves relatively slowly- unless hyperdrive was a lot slower back in the early days, for example, hyperdrive speeds have been more or less constant for centuries. A lot of people have warships hundreds of years old which are still combat-effective, which wouldn't be very practical either if technology had evolved as fast from 3000 to 3400 as it did from 1600 to 2000. And so on.

In general, I'm not opposed to technological development, but I'm strongly opposed to any one nation proclaiming that they have across-the-board qualitative technological superiority, unless they're dealing with a nation that makes "crude but effective technology" their schtick (like the Bragulans).

Honestly, I really am going to try to adopt the mod policies that Siege would prefer- I don't much care exactly what someone does, but if I see someone trying to "declare victory and go home," I will pounce on that. If a special device, technique, or ability is used as a tool for declaring victory and going home*, then that device, technique, or ability will be a major target for the modhammering.

If you want to present your guys developing progressively better devices, that's fine, but everyone else will be doing the same, so this doesn't turn into a "we are now superior to everyone" thing.
_________

*As in "haha, puny mortal, you cannot stand before our psychics, we steal all your admirals' secrets and braincrush them from a thousand light years away, destroying your fleet effortlessly!"
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Fin, think of it as some people wanting to temper the... "Zorian model" of "technological development".

Cause if you go "yes, technological development!" and then the next second there are these newy devloped technolgies from lardly Altantis ruining yuor craps adn nanoes in yor bloodstram, I'm sure you'd take that statement back and scream. :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The Great Escape wrote:“The feline xenos have already pursued us to the hyperlimit, and they may continue their chase. We cannot take any chances, and even passing by near their nation is a risk that we cannot abide, much less the other spineless vermin who call themselves ‘human’,” Aurelian explained as the various commanders and astropaths gathered in person or virtually around his throne room.

“And from my projections, the Chamarrans may not be alone.” Field Marshall Homura Akemi added. “Other elements of their coalition may be vectoring towards us as we speak. The Bragulans would love to take this opportunity to end us and shift the balance to their side, and those pompous Nova-Atlanteans may want to finally get even for the Great Crusade. And even our nominal allies may not be so willing as to give us free passage after what we've done. So the channels to the space core-spinward should be considered unsafe as well.”

“Pray tell, Field Marshall, what ever made you think that your own allies in the coalition would sell us out?” Rus Komnenos asked, and then gulped down a jeweled skull-chalice of noxious tsvagna.

“We've burned all our bridges here. Things are different since the Great Crusade. War has changed.” Akemi replied tersely, reflecting on all the sacrifices that had to be done. How they had to go back on the coalition, and how even then, they had failed to stop the formation of the Eye. “And it’s not much of a stretch to imagine that they'll be cross after your little party at the Planetoid, Warmaster. We ourselves didn’t earn ourselves any favors after Earth... not after using liquid-R... but it was a strategic necessity. Too bad not all of them can stomach what needs to be done.”
The Great Escape has been edited because of a.) the planned incident involving Miratians doesn't happen and hence there is no incident for the psykery information-obtainment can happen and b.) to rectify it and make it sound better and less objectionable.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The one question weighing on my mind: does it make sense for the Dual-Empire fleet to split up like that if they aren't anticipating, specifically, an attack by a combined coalition fleet?

Splitting up means that the whole fleet can't be intercepted as easily, but it also means the risk of an individual subfleet being spotted are higher (there are now six things to spot). And each subfleet is easier to kill (at around... I dunno, five to seven thousand points instead of a single combined fleet of 30 to 40 thousand points).

There's some risk associated with that, especially since they're going to be flying so close to outside parties like the XylyXians and the Pfhor, who aren't involved in the coalition squabbles but still might take a potshot at naval task forces flying near their space without an invitation.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Simon_Jester wrote:The one question weighing on my mind: does it make sense for the Dual-Empire fleet to split up like that if they aren't anticipating, specifically, an attack by a combined coalition fleet?
Well, since we did not want to take any chances, and there is a probability of stealth ships and possible pursuit, then yes, splitting up is only prudent.

The entire structure of the breakup is as such: 6 task forces, and light ships are ahead of the fleet scouting for possible enemies in front. The way I see it is that there is a great chance that if a scout ship found any one of hte taskforces, then the enemy might set up a blocking force to stop the fleet. The likelihood of a fleet catching up is there, but every ship was burning their engines as far as they could go. Any ship that shows possible signs of failure might well be .... scuttled.
Splitting up means that the whole fleet can't be intercepted as easily, but it also means the risk of an individual subfleet being spotted are higher (there are now six things to spot). And each subfleet is easier to kill (at around... I dunno, five to seven thousand points instead of a single combined fleet of 30 to 40 thousand points).
Well, there is the chance that one or two of the other subfleets might turn around to help, but everything is a question of balance of risk after all.
There's some risk associated with that, especially since they're going to be flying so close to outside parties like the XylyXians and the Pfhor, who aren't involved in the coalition squabbles but still might take a potshot at naval task forces flying near their space without an invitation.
Well, I was thinking about that, and the only thing I can come up with is staying a sector at least away.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

You're counterbalancing with the risk imposed by a highly circuitous course- the bigger the radius of the 'loop' you take through the unexplored space beyond the XylyXians, the more time the people you know are chasing you have to take the shorter route.

[I'm not telling you what to do, just trying to put all the tactical cards on the table]

Deciding whether to split up or stick together would have been a hard decision, if it were me. If the pursuit forces were unlikely to be more than, say, 30000 points, I'd probably stick together, just to have a better chance of deterring opportunists and being fairly sure of being able to crash through any fleet-sized interception forces thrown into my path.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:You're counterbalancing with the risk imposed by a highly circuitous course- the bigger the radius of the 'loop' you take through the unexplored space beyond the XylyXians, the more time the people you know are chasing you have to take the shorter route.

[I'm not telling you what to do, just trying to put all the tactical cards on the table]

Deciding whether to split up or stick together would have been a hard decision, if it were me. If the pursuit forces were unlikely to be more than, say, 30000 points, I'd probably stick together, just to have a better chance of deterring opportunists and being fairly sure of being able to crash through any fleet-sized interception forces thrown into my path.
Sure. I mean honestly, there aren't really many tactical options. Having one or more fleet groups going back to aid the fleet group in trouble or something is definitely possible. So the question is whether I manage to preserve most of my fleet, or the possibility that any enemy fleet might set up a massive ambush to block and stop me from escaping. The real risk to me is the unknowns: How many potential pursuers and what happens if they amass a 2:1 or more superiority?

On the flip side, scattering the fleet forces the enemy to commit a hedious amount of resources, and a stretch his logistics train incredibly far. Whereas I am racing to go back, they have to scatter their fleet assets across a considerable large area burning lots of fuel jetting around just to look for me. It also makes it harder to set up ambushes because they had to scatter their forces just as we did.

And sure the Emissaries etc. The risk also for pursuing forces is whether we dared to risk going close to their space. If we did, will they also play the game of chicken and follow?

EDIT: I am perfectly OK with saying there's a chance that 10% of the fleet won't make it back just because of system failures etc.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

A lot would depend on the details. You've announced your plans, the potential opposition hasn't announced theirs; any logical assessment would come out of comparing the two sets of plans.

For that matter, the opposition hasn't even issued a list of demands- the best strategy might be "just stop and answer a bunch of questions," rather than "run like you stole something," or in this case "run like you just opened a hole in reality."

For is it not said that the guilty mang flees where no one pursueth? ;)

Anyway, we'll hash this out when it's actually clear who's doing what.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:A lot would depend on the details. You've announced your plans, the potential opposition hasn't announced theirs; any logical assessment would come out of comparing the two sets of plans.

For that matter, the opposition hasn't even issued a list of demands- the best strategy might be "just stop and answer a bunch of questions," rather than "run like you stole something," or in this case "run like you just opened a hole in reality."

For is it not said that the guilty mang flees where no one pursueth? ;)

Anyway, we'll hash this out when it's actually clear who's doing what.
Well, on the other hand, there is also need to head as fast as possible return the data recovered, especially in light of this incident.

Information, as always, is worth its weight (or bytes) in gold.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The smart move, in that respect, would be to send a handful of Very Fast Ships ahead, trying to break ahead of any pursuit, while also having some Very Stealthy Ships move slowly by circuitous routes that are most likely to escape detection and thus avoid being tracked down at all.

That's what I'd do, if I had the types available.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

...I should so spend some more 3401 budget on more Very Fast Ships for Deep Purple, corner the market on Hilariously Fast Couriers.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Force Lord wrote:Speaking of problems, we have confronted the threat of an unknwon disease that has struck not only the MEH population, but also our own troops. This patogen we have tentatively named "Sotyrk", and it is spreading.
The Grand Admiral may want to have security check his communications staff- we may have sniffed out an Atlantean spy.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Shady, I swear to Jesus I will get back to you on Alyxia in Bragspace meeting the Pfhor.

Things just got a little complicated on the other side of the galaxy though, and I had to balance a lot of things while writing all sorts of terrible things. :)
Its cool. Take your time. Things have been hectic and fun. :) And anyway, I have other stuff to finish up too.

Oh and I loved your terrible things.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Force Lord wrote:Speaking of problems, we have confronted the threat of an unknwon disease that has struck not only the MEH population, but also our own troops. This patogen we have tentatively named "Sotyrk", and it is spreading.
The Grand Admiral may want to have security check his communications staff- we may have sniffed out an Atlantean spy.
The spy has been caught. Interrogation will proceed shortly.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Simon_Jester wrote: For is it not said that the guilty mang flees where no one pursueth? ;)
It is said that the man who got fired on by missiles by a member of a giant coalition flees. They already saw hostilities from the xenos. Are they going to wait for them to show even more hostilities?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I know, I know.

I don't want to dispute justice of anyone's case. I just want some freedom to wax light-hearted about stuff, OK?
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

The Axis is coming! Man the barricades!
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Right, I've had to take a quick break, especially since I've started working. I certainly want to continue to play this out, and while I still feel downfall as presented is a little to sudden and counter to the way some of us were trying to get things out I can abide (though if it all was thrown out as bad for the game as a whole because it causes too much hostility I'd be pretty happy with that). However my job has given me very little free time to properly catch up, so what is the shortest version of events anyone can supply me with. (I am basically caught up with the commentary thread, but no where near the story thread.)

Also SIMON AND SIEGE> Simon I remember calling you out when you modded Pollux, and the entirety of that for me was the suddenness and what I felt was hostility to people entering or reentering the game. A large part of my other disagreements with you is that I don't think you provide enough of a reasoning with most of your 'rulings.' * I agree a lot with what Siege is saying about how he wants the Mod-Dom to behave, though one of the things that I would love from the mods right now is actual info on the UN. It is sad that the Mod hammer hasn't even seen enough polish to know the names of the various sectors, let alone any of the other potential areas that politics and other stories can find a setting.

* I most definitely disagree with the proposed modification to defensive forces even still and that is that the Defeat in detail appears to eliminate the points system by creating a "Tactic" that invalidates a section of value no matter what.

I'm working on at least one story post for the next couple of days, though it kinda depends on how the short version of events gets me informed. (And to a small degree any additional info about the UN, make of that what you will.)

EDIT: DHellion I have still not read what you've wanted me to. I know I should but it is rather hard to when I'm so much busier than I usually am.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

If you want, you can make up your own info about the UN.

I have lots of crazy ideas on how the UN could be.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Agent Sorchus wrote:Right, I've had to take a quick break, especially since I've started working. I certainly want to continue to play this out, and while I still feel downfall as presented is a little to sudden and counter to the way some of us were trying to get things out I can abide (though if it all was thrown out as bad for the game as a whole because it causes too much hostility I'd be pretty happy with that). However my job has given me very little free time to properly catch up, so what is the shortest version of events anyone can supply me with. (I am basically caught up with the commentary thread, but no where near the story thread.)
Umeria hasn't done anything you'd be interested in. The MEH war has gone into a weird phase- were you still around when Downfall and the Eye of Sasha happen?
Also SIMON AND SIEGE> Simon I remember calling you out when you modded Pollux, and the entirety of that for me was the suddenness and what I felt was hostility to people entering or reentering the game. A large part of my other disagreements with you is that I don't think you provide enough of a reasoning with most of your 'rulings.' *
My hostility was not to Pollux reentering the game; it was to Pollux arbitrarily granting himself extra firepower beyond the peacetime construction limit. In case you didn't notice, Pollux himself was perfectly content with how I did it, and indeed expected something exactly along those lines. I like Pollux; he's got a thick enough skin that I can work with him rather than having to work against him.

The reason I don't normally provide a detailed rationale is that in pretty much every case I can remember, the reasons why I make the ruling are obvious.

I ruled on CN's upgrade program because it was a blatant attempt to game the rule system by building uberpowerful ships, because it was utterly unjustified in-game (this shit we bought in the last eight weeks lets us upgrade our ships, already supposed to be technologically superior to anything in the known universe, to even higher heights of superiority!), suspension-of-disbelief stretching (for God's sake, 25% increase in combat potential during an eight week refit? For battleships?).

I ruled on Pollux's construction because he violated a rule which everyone in the damn game including himself knows about. That rule comes with a "mod sanctions" threat explicitly attached: "During the game a player can build whatever they want, though mods reserve the right to inflict negative events on someone clearly overspending. Peacetime overspending is defined as spending in excess of 10% of GDP; wartime overspending in excess of 20% GDP."

I didn't write that, Steve did. You had a year to object to it before anyone got in trouble for breaking it, and even then the trouble did not so much as undo the extra advantage they gained from the excess construction.

I ruled on your gunship issue in haste, and you will notice that I was talked out of that.

I ruled on the long range esper thing, tentatively, because I was trying to work out some semblance of a common frame of reference while I had some rather annoying players nagging in my ears about it. I've basically dropped that ruling, consider it repealed, because it's more trouble than it's worth.

In general, I do try not to be unreasonable. But I want people to grasp that when I have a real problem with their conduct, I am not just huffing and puffing and mumbling about how the UN won't like it. To make that happen, I have to impose actual rulings on people, rather than just growling about things.

Which, incidentally, ties in with what Siege is saying. There are two ways I (or anyone else) can moderate this game. One is rule by legislation- writing new rules to cover novel situations and applying them impartially. This is not popular, and has a lot of obvious problems with it. The other is rule by decree- the mod looks for situations where some power or ability is being abused, or where a player is doing something ridiculous, and steps in to declare that it didn't happen, or that some disaster occurs which prevents it from happening, or something.

The problem with rule by decree is that it requires a mod to step in and decree things like retcons, disasters which interfere with national policy, and "punishments" for particularly out of line actions. The mod may be convinced to withdraw from certain positions, but at some basic level they have to choose when to interfere in the game and when not to interfere. Without that discretionary power, the mod can't do the job at all.

You and Siege don't want me to moderate the game by legislation- in my opinion, rightly, it's a bad way to run a game like this and I'm trying to suppress my own instinct to do it that way. So far, so good.

But when I try to moderate by decree, you, Sorchus, object that my decisions are too arbitrary. So what, exactly, would you have me do? I'm getting a bit tired of having to deal with this kind of carping from you, when I can't see any coherent explanation for how you do want the game to be moderated.
I agree a lot with what Siege is saying about how he wants the Mod-Dom to behave, though one of the things that I would love from the mods right now is actual info on the UN. It is sad that the Mod hammer hasn't even seen enough polish to know the names of the various sectors, let alone any of the other potential areas that politics and other stories can find a setting.
I could rattle off a list of sectors if need be- do you really want one?
* I most definitely disagree with the proposed modification to defensive forces even still and that is that the Defeat in detail appears to eliminate the points system by creating a "Tactic" that invalidates a section of value no matter what.
...I simply do not understand what you are getting at.

The purpose of defensive point values is mostly to impose some kind of quasi-logical naval strategy: you can't simply send out thirty raiding cruiser squadrons to lay waste to every star system in a nation that isn't covered by a powerful fleet. To large fleets (or even large single ships, for some nations and moderately defended systems), local defenses are irrelevant. To raiding cruisers, they present an obstacle too large to be easily overcome, which prevents lone Shepistani battlestars and the like from jumping into the system and spending three hours freely nuking the planet before the nearest fleet can get there.

But... what on Earth do you mean by "and that is that the Defeat in detail appears to eliminate the points system by creating a "Tactic" that invalidates a section of value no matter what?"
I'm working on at least one story post for the next couple of days, though it kinda depends on how the short version of events gets me informed. (And to a small degree any additional info about the UN, make of that what you will.)
The UN has a mind-crogglingly powerful fleet, a large number of long-terraformed Earthlike worlds with burgeoning populations and extensive settlement of the surrounding space in their systems, and a loose, somewhat confederated political structure that makes them unlikely to pick fights unless something epically egregious happens and/or poses a credible threat to the security of Earth and Nova Terra.

That's about all even the mods know.

The only material set in the UN is Shroom and Fin's posts featuring Heraclius IV and Shroom-the-Dolphin going off to Nova Terra. Read them if you like.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

*sigh* Its late, Sorchus is asleep and has work in the morning, so to help speed along this conversation I am (as usual) going to answer questions on Sorchus' behalf.
Umeria hasn't done anything you'd be interested in. The MEH war has gone into a weird phase- were you still around when Downfall and the Eye of Sasha happen?
Nope. That was pretty much the Week From The Stygian Abyss so anything starting around the time of Downfall itself could use a good Cliffnotes Summary.

Hell, I would like one too. Maybe it could be put it into the Plotline Index?
More important would be some understanding of the structure of the UN's political system, how they meet, what kinds of resolutions they pass, what kind of councils comprise its organization, whether they meet in one place or holographically, you know the kind of stuff you would need to interact with them diplomatically.

This is a bit of a tangent on his part, so if he doesn't expand on what I'm about to say please understand. If I don't expand on it, please understand that I too am uninterested in starting a tangental argument about a rule that (if I understand the direction of the thread) has not yet received the sanction from the other moderators you were looking for anyway.

Its Moderating by Needless Legislation, for one. But moreover, Defeat In Detail is a tactic he believes is complete horseshit that hasn't been relevant in fifty years, cannot overcome the facts of Attrition Warfare even where it is appropriate, and was never relevant in battles between technologically/militarily equal foes anyway.

But this isn't the Sci-Fi or History forum so he's not grinding your face in for advocating bullshit: in fact, it is precisely because he wants to avoid having that flamewar here (if anywhere) that he wants the spirit of Steve's ruling about point values (that is, All Tactics Are Story Fluff and Stop Your Bitching) to be followed. For the record, I don't want to have that argument here either, so don't try and goad me into it. This is his conversation, after all, I'm just here to facilitate.

Also, because if we do grant Defeat In Detail applies to these defensive militia points, the points granted by your proposed rule can't really be called points: more like Imaginary Points that stop being relevant in every situation where points would normally be relevant. Kinda like The Man Right Behind You who is only there as long as you aren't looking at him, but with numbers and bookkeeping and warships. In short, something he thinks should remain in the realms of fluff, not Legislation.

Understand? Yes? Good. Goodnight.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

There wasn't much in the way of descriptions in Fin and my posts. About the UN.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

That was really cool, Dark. And no doubt the incident will be review by a whole lot of interested parties. But also...

A hostile organism enters the starship. The crew have to survive the alien thing in a battle for survival.

Except this time, the crew isn't expendable.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I like it too, D.
Shroom Man 777 wrote:There wasn't much in the way of descriptions in Fin and my posts. About the UN.
Exactly. I'd be willing to put a little more detail out there, but not something that would require a big investment of my time.

Here's a tentative proposal:

For tradition's sake, let's say that the UN of SDNW4 has a "General Assembly." The member states of the General Assembly are planetary or sub-planetary in size. Many of them are former Earth and Nova Terra nations such as China, Shroomania, the European Union, the Byzantine Empire (of Nova Terra), and so on. Others, probably the majority of them by now, are off-planet authorities, which may be either planetary or sub-planetary governments, depending on the size and fractiousness of a given planet's population.

The population and influence of UN member states varies wildly, but in practice I doubt there is any member state with a population of more than, oh, a few billion- or less than a hundred million. Those are eyeball numbers, by the way, and are nonbinding.

The actual system of making laws and binding long-term treaties is no doubt very complicated, and probably involves a messy legal process that we would call "Byzantine" were it not for the fact that in 3400 "Byzantine" has become a term for all-out aggressive confrontation rather than for intricate subtlety, given the kind of Byzantines we've got around these days. You might have laws which have to be ratified by simple majorities in the General Assembly, or by supermajorities, or by a vote taken on the basis of population, or some bureaucratic process that completely bypasses the General Assembly. There's a good reason for this- it prevents any really important regulations from being laid down throughout the UN without the consent of virtually all of the member states and all classes of society.

Short-term governance is handled mostly through bureaucratic mechanisms and the actions of individual member states which take care of relatively small problems and then huff and puff about the rights of member states to stop anyone from doing anything about it afterwards. It is difficult to get the UN involved in a substantial way with anything outside its borders. It's easier to interact with one of the member states, but the individual member states have limits on what they can do about any really important matter without UN approval, which is normally hard to get.

Most of the 'farther-out' stellar nations have a single UN embassy plus a network of consulates. In some specific cases there may be member states which, by long tradition, have their own separate embassy in a given nation, but since the member states can't pursue really independent foreign policy that doesn't happen especially often.

The net effect is something like the Solarian League of David Weber's Honorverse, but without the expansionist frontier policy, the rampant corruption, or the social and technological ossification that turn them into punching bags for Our Heroes.

There. How does that sound?
Formless wrote:
More important would be some understanding of the structure of the UN's political system, how they meet, what kinds of resolutions they pass, what kind of councils comprise its organization, whether they meet in one place or holographically, you know the kind of stuff you would need to interact with them diplomatically.
This was never pinned down. Since many of our own PC nations don't have the structure of their government so extensively defined, I'm disinclined to try and fill in that many blanks.

Remember that the UN isn't supposed to be used by the moderators except as an in-game tool by which mod decisions can be enforced against a hopelessly recalcitrant player. Mods don't get to 'play' the UN by virtue of being a mod, because I'm not supposed to be using it for my own entertainment. So sitting down and spending hours drawing up the structure of its government is not a prospect which enthuses me.

Much of this information is either noncritical (you don't need to know the parliamentary rules of the United States Senate to interact with the US), or stuff that can reasonably be made up on the spot without being binding on others. If you call the chief UN government official responsible for collective foreign policy the "Foreign Secretary," the "Administrator of External Affairs," or the "Talkymaster..." that's your concern. If you want to portray the UN's legislature meeting holographically, or in person, or both depending on circumstances, that's your concern. You're welcome to come up with answers to things like this, always with the caveat that other people aren't bound to adhere to them if they don't think it's sensible or appropriate.
This is a bit of a tangent on his part, so if he doesn't expand on what I'm about to say please understand. If I don't expand on it, please understand that I too am uninterested in starting a tangental argument about a rule that (if I understand the direction of the thread) has not yet received the sanction from the other moderators you were looking for anyway.
What I was looking for was player opinions. My proposal received some support, some disapproval, and a lot of "ignores," so I've put it on the back burner because I have other things to worry about too.
Its Moderating by Needless Legislation, for one. But moreover, Defeat In Detail is a tactic he believes is complete horseshit that hasn't been relevant in fifty years, cannot overcome the facts of Attrition Warfare even where it is appropriate, and was never relevant in battles between technologically/militarily equal foes anyway.
Ah. Well, my assessment of military history and strategy is that he's flat wrong about that, but it's beside the point.

The idea that "Attrition Warfare" rules in SDNW4 is not official; it is something Sorchus appears to have developed on his own initiative, which should not be expected to bind everyone else. In practice, wars between equal opponents tend to become attritional unless one side does something very clever and/or the other side screws up royally, but that's beside the point.

Points are a guideline for what kinds of things can happen when armed forces encounter one another, and above all to enforce rough qualitative equality on the nations. We need that, because this is SDN with its grand tradition of "if X fought Y, what would happen?" Point exist so that we don't get into endless disputes about whose weapons throw more gigajoules or whether missile-heavy ships should beat laser-heavy ships.

Beyond that, there is no implied requirement to stick to "attritional warfare" or 1:1 exchange ratios in points lost by each side. In PC vs. PC actions, such a ratio is probably a good idea, if both players agree it's realistic. But that's recommended, not required.
But this isn't the Sci-Fi or History forum so he's not grinding your face in for advocating bullshit: in fact, it is precisely because he wants to avoid having that flamewar here (if anywhere) that he wants the spirit of Steve's ruling about point values (that is, All Tactics Are Story Fluff and Stop Your Bitching) to be followed. For the record, I don't want to have that argument here either, so don't try and goad me into it. This is his conversation, after all, I'm just here to facilitate.
You are free to "facilitate" by speaking on someone else's behalf. Correspondingly, I have freedom of speech.
Also, because if we do grant Defeat In Detail applies to these defensive militia points, the points granted by your proposed rule can't really be called points: more like Imaginary Points that stop being relevant in every situation where points would normally be relevant. Kinda like The Man Right Behind You who is only there as long as you aren't looking at him, but with numbers and bookkeeping and warships. In short, something he thinks should remain in the realms of fluff, not Legislation.
No, this still makes no sense to me. The idea that there are points "nailed to" a given inhabited star system which cannot move is very relevant when you attack an inhabited star system (which has happened, what... about ten times since the game began, give or take a few?)

The existence of those dispersed defense forces is relevant on the tactical level, and on the strategic level. They can put up a nasty fight against small forces tactically. Strategically, they place a lower bound on how much you can subdivide your forces and still take down a large number of targets without getting hammered- which, to me, is useful because it promotes a more 'stable' form of warfare in which you can't end the war in three days by launching a zillion little squadrons to do chevauchées all over their territory.

That's bad for anyone who wants their space warfare to follow the patterns laid out by Douhet, where all wars are over in a week because the strategic forces have bombed the enemy's homeland so heavily that the government breaks down and the war ends by default. But that's good for anyone who doesn't specifically want Douhet's analysis to dominate the game. Since many of our key players remember the hijinks Shep got up to in SDNW1, I suspect we'd rather avoid the gospel of Douhet.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Simon_Jester wrote:You are free to "facilitate" by speaking on someone else's behalf. Correspondingly, I have freedom of speech.
Wait, how exactly am I infringing upon your freedom of speech by telling you I would rather have a specific argument someplace more appropriate? What purpose does this comment serve? Invoking rights needlessly only serves to make you look like you've got a persecution complex, and its genuinely confusing.

I'm going to summarize what you wrote instead of quoting exactly: it makes my posts look smaller and should help you more quickly identify any miscommunication between us.
Formless' Summary Of Simon's post wrote:I was looking for player support for my rule, not moderator support
I guess you forgot about when you wrote this then:
Simon Jester wrote:I invite people to comment on it; if it is not well received and supported by other interested mods, it becomes a moot point of course.
I really am willing to chalk it up to forgetfulness since its been a couple weeks (so don't take this as hostility or flaming), but to me that does not sound like you were only looking for player opinions.
Formless' Summary wrote:But attrition isn't an official rule!
If we're going to play "rule by decree" then a rule does not have to be official Legislation before it becomes a part of the game. If there is a conflict between non-cooperative players who have not agreed to an uneven battle outcome based on its literary (rather than point based) merits, then the guideline has always been that you should expect some casualties. While it is true that no specific ratio has been declared, it is easy enough to see what breaking this rule looks like: Zor arrives, declares victory, no casualties, we're so awesome!!! Obviously that's powergaming dickery which would only fly if the player on the receiving end of the curbstomp agreed to a curbstomp, as previously outlined by RougeIce.

Attrition doesn't need to be enforced as a rule: its the kind of thing that happens on its own given the right conditions. As long as there are limited resources you can draw upon, and there are in this game (GDP, construction times for starships, and other rules of economics), and there are casualties in war, which there are or should be, it will be something people will have to keep in mind if ever they go on a long campaign or non-stop small campaigns. Think of it as the thermodynamics of warfare.

And by thermodynamics of warfare, I hope it is obviously I am not referencing the melting point of a spherical mass of iron. :lol:
Formless' Summary wrote:Starting with "No, this still makes no sense to me" Simon goes on about tactics of fixed defenses, history of war, how previous games under different circumstances ended crash and burn style, etc.
You aren't getting it. These are points. Points are points are points are points. Let Them Do Their Job. They do not and should not magically stop being able to inflict casualties on an invader because they are Goblins with a Challenge Rating of 3 and a Fifteenth level D&D party just walked into the room. In other words (for those who don't understand the comparison) they should not be able to fight off a "small raiding party" but be instantly slaughtered wholesale as soon as the "Big Ships" arrive to capture the system. That's not how this game works, a force of X is a force of X. It does not stop being X just because variable Y appears.

Plus, this is just asking to start an argument about what constitutes a "small raiding force" and what constitutes "Big Ships that can Totally Take The System Wholesale unless REAL Points Arrive to Reinforce". Especially since different militaries have widely differing starship design philosophies-- a frigate from one military may be way outgunned by a frigate from another. What is the cutoff point? How is it supposed to be non-arbitrary? Pointless bickering. The rule shouldn't be written that way in the first place when a simple decree could be made on a case by case basis.

And this isn't to say the concern motivating the proposition is bad, but there are tons of fluff ways of explaining it, if it needs explaining at all. For example, with the exception of the MEH, sectors can safely be assumed to have multiple solar systems within them, and a ridiculously small force simply lacks the numbers to be everywhere it needs to be. Kind of like how one million clones cannot fight on a galactic scale no matter how strong their Mando blood and fifty Klingons waving the most terrifying weapon in existence, the batleth, cannot hope to take over a planet of millions of people. Simple solution, and that was just off the top of my head. There are many conceivable solutions that require no tweaking to the rules and nature of points.

The strategic difference between an immobile defense platform and a starship are likewise understandable and conceded. After all, there are those of us who bought such platforms explicitly out of our military budget.

I hope this helps you understand where I (at least) am coming from where it comes to rulings like these.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.