SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread IV

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread IV

Post by Agent Sorchus »

I honestly figured that the karlacks only devoured a biosphere when they couldn't convert it into one of their own. What would be the difference between converting a biosphere for human inhabitants and for Karlacks? Both require a change that destroys much of what was there in the first place, but ends up replacing it with something else. Devouring the entire biosphere is something else entirely and should be treated accordingly (ie agitates the UN or something like.) Nova Genoa isn't the Karlacks fault that the imperium of man decided to salt the earth, just that they initiated hostilities.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I think they view the Karlacks as a contained threat: they're literally right next door to one of the most militaristic nations in the galaxy, which has been keeping them from spreading for a very long time.

People outside the Koprulu Zone aren't going to worry about the Karlacks all that much until it becomes obvious that the Byzantines no longer have the problem under control; something similar goes for the Bragulans and the Sovereignty. Skirmishing in Wild Space isn't proof of loss of control, it's business as usual.

I imagine the UN policy on the Byzantine-Karlack conflict is something like "wake me when Arabiapolis Sector falls." Or possibly "wake me the first time the Karlacks overcome a joint Byzantine-Haruhiist battlefleet." Anything less than that, they don't really need to take an interest in, because it doesn't directly impact their own citizens or threaten to do so in the near future.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Similar to what Simon said, my personal policy is essentially: What Happens in the K-Zone Stays in the K-Zone. So long as it remains contained, we won't be overly worried* about it. So if they knock off a planet or something within their little area, we won't react much.

On the other hand, if the Karlacks/Imperium/Sovereignty/Bragulans/Collectors destroy a planet outside the K-Zone, that I think would be something for the greater interstellar community to take real notice of.

*As mentioned above, we really only care about the results of battles and such in the K-Zone as it relates to the relative balance of power between the four primary warring factions (IoM, USS, Bragulans and Karlacks). So long as they stay relative equal or, at worst, the IoM/USS seems to be on the stronger side, we'll keep an eye out but not much beyond that.

The Collectors are of course another thing entirely. And TBH, their recent and surprising activity is likely more worrisome than Nova Genoa going boom (for a given value of boom). Though it seems they've gone relatively quiet (or at least, Monoliths aren't showing up in hostile or potentially hostile contexts) so we're wary, but not alarmed yet.

Anyway, I can see the UN taking the general attitudes above with regards to how much they care about what goes on in the Koprulu Zone.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

This is rather overblown.

Which dimwit would simply allow his base to be taken after you evacuate it? Of course you blow the damn thing up.

And of course in this day and age, you would expect a "blow up" to be even more than your current age nuclear explosion.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

But to the point where the planet becomes uninhabitable or something (as it was "denied" to the Karlacks)? Did your lot use one of those Shepponukes from the Amplitur war?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

fgalkin wrote:But to the point where the planet becomes uninhabitable or something (as it was "denied" to the Karlacks)? Did your lot use one of those Shepponukes from the Amplitur war?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
It's a modern reactor in the game context that runs on high energy fusion. What happens really is that local area goes toast because the crust cracks a little at best!

No, the planet doesn't get toast! And in any case, the planet's biosphere has already been mostly consumed by Karlacks.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
fgalkin wrote:But to the point where the planet becomes uninhabitable or something (as it was "denied" to the Karlacks)? Did your lot use one of those Shepponukes from the Amplitur war?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
It's a modern reactor in the game context that runs on high energy fusion. What happens really is that local area goes toast because the crust cracks a little at best!

No, the planet doesn't get toast! And in any case, the planet's biosphere has already been mostly consumed by Karlacks.
I think I found the source of the confusion:
The fleeing Imperials had deliberately set their massive plasma core to self-destruct within 5 minutes of their departure as part of standing orders when evacuating a base. A base might have been abandoned, but it must be denied to the enemy. When the plasma core detonated, the explosion was so large and powerful that it was visible from space, cracking a portion of the crust in the area.
a Karlack Swarm that had been denied Genoa’s precious biomatter, no thanks to the explosive presents left behind by the humans.
Somehow the small explosion denied the Tyranids Karlacks the entire planet's food supply.
Last edited by Chaotic Neutral on 2011-01-05 08:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Oh for heaven's sake. The Karlacks missed an opportunity to eat something like 2/3 of the garrison because they managed to escape.
Kreia
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

A few million people is nothing compared to entire planets life. It's probably just an exaggeration by the Bragulan.
Last edited by Chaotic Neutral on 2011-01-05 08:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:A few million people is nothing compared to entire planets life. It' probably just an exaggeration by the Bragulan.
Okay just to be clear here, Steve and Simon are the mods, so they get to decide stuff like that. You don't.

Furthermore I don't think its all that important anyway. The planet was apparently sterilized by author's intent.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:
I think I found the source of the confusion:
The fleeing Imperials had deliberately set their massive plasma core to self-destruct within 5 minutes of their departure as part of standing orders when evacuating a base. A base might have been abandoned, but it must be denied to the enemy. When the plasma core detonated, the explosion was so large and powerful that it was visible from space, cracking a portion of the crust in the area.
Quantify the size of a portion. A portion can mean anything. For all we know, Genoa's crust was made out of cheese.

Besides, setting their nuclear reactor to overload and self-destruct into a giant explosion seen from orbit? A Weyland-Yutani atmospheric reprocessing plant could do that, easy. :p
a Karlack Swarm that had been denied Genoa’s precious biomatter, no thanks to the explosive presents left behind by the humans.
Somehow the small explosion denied the Tyranids Karlacks the entire planet's food supply.
If Genoa was an Earth-like world, then there would be an entire planet's worth of food supply. But it's not. Genoa was a world that probably had to be terraformed, and seeing as it is not a core world but a colony world or fringe world just in Wild Space, then Genoa's biomatter would be small and limited to the terraformed area around the planet.

Either way, it's literary whatevers and hyperboles.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:This is rather overblown.

Which dimwit would simply allow his base to be taken after you evacuate it? Of course you blow the damn thing up.

And of course in this day and age, you would expect a "blow up" to be even more than your current age nuclear explosion.
I don't disagree.
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Quantify the size of a portion. A portion can mean anything. For all we know, Genoa's crust was made out of cheese.
In that case, wouldn't the Karlacks have eaten it?

:D

The Swarm must dream of the day they discover the moon made of green cheese.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Due to the recent spate of crippling problems with AIM I suggest we move our group discussions into IRC.

We can set up at DarkMyst on the channel #sdnw4.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

We have had one on nightstar, but none of the AIM buddies like to visit it.
[url]irc://irc.nightstar.net/SDNWorldChat[/url]
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

FATS! :lol:

I wonder what you are schemings, Hellionses. :P
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Good stuff, Dark Hellion. Keep working that ironic-humor angle; it serves as fine counterbalance to the Shroomsanity of Bragule.

And finally, the first shots of the real Battle of Zebes are fired...
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:FATS! :lol:

I wonder what you are schemings, Hellionses. :P
Plans within plans my good bear.

Unfortunately, my current story arc with Fats is over. But if anyone would want to use the galaxies largest (by mass) arms dealer feel free. I imagine him as one part Baron Harkonnen (he has the expertise but his venial greed gets in the way), one part Fat Basterd (he doesn't realize how foully corpulent he actually is), and one part any fat kid from an '80s movie (he is perhaps unfairly maligned but also brings a good deal of it on himself). He is going to be at the BEEEF for most of its running and his self-absorption, love of money and complete lack observation and people skills means he could probably stumble and wheeze his way through trouble several more times before the event is over. Possibly without even noticing.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Simon_Jester wrote:And finally, the first shots of the real Battle of Zebes are fired...

Hah! You thought that was a fleet? LET ME SHOW YOU MY TRUE FORM.... *Casts Countrecoup* *Music changes*

Edit: And if bringing intelligent, speaking Fenrisian Bears to the BEEEF wasn't scandal enough, wait 'til they start seducing the local lady Brags... :twisted:
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

My apologies for my long absence. Life has been keeping me real busy. I see that The Swarm has caused quite a ruckus, with the Nova Genoa battle(For which I intend to write up an epilogue of sorts.) , sorry I haven't responded. I'll try and catch up to the game in the next couple of days and then get back into it. Then I'll see about posting some updates, and a BEEEF Karlack Special. :D
Simon_Jester wrote:The Swarm must dream of the day they discover the moon made of green cheese.
:lol:

Also: Happy New Year guys! :D
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

DarthShady wrote:My apologies for my long absence. Life has been keeping me real busy. I see that The Swarm has caused quite a ruckus, with the Nova Genoa battle(For which I intend to write up an epilogue of sorts.) , sorry I haven't responded. I'll try and catch up to the game in the next couple of days and then get back into it. Then I'll see about posting some updates, and a BEEEF Karlack Special. :D
Simon_Jester wrote:The Swarm must dream of the day they discover the moon made of green cheese.
:lol:

Also: Happy New Year guys! :D
About time you showed up you damn insect! I had to proof read the damn thing repeatedly, editing chunks here and there and finishing up the entire thing just so that the whole post, pages long, was coherent! :lol:
Kreia
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: About time you showed up you damn insect! I had to proof read the damn thing repeatedly, editing chunks here and there and finishing up the entire thing just so that the whole post, pages long, was coherent! :lol:
Sorry about that Fin. Had some things I needed to deal with. I'll make it up to you, how does one "free" exterminatus on a Karlack world sound? :P

Great work on the post.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

That poor bird... doesn't he know that people with epaulettes are scientifically proven to be susceptible to tobacco? I mean, look at all the 19th-20th Century generals who smoked.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Does this mean all Space Marines are walking, talking, bio-engineered super-chimneys of the Emperah? :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

No FY 3401 military budget thread yet, so I'm preemptively posting my invesment.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Wow. Major cutbacks, FL.

For the record, I'll have the next Zebes update tonight, at a minimum. A major part of that will be Centralist POV.