Moderators: Thanas, Steve

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread II

Post by MKSheppard »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Yes. Space beasts!
Previously on Battlestar Calvert Cliffs

"Our port hangar is full of alien space beast jizz after it tried to mate with us, sir."

"What do we do?"

"Eh, send the Feeleeepino Stewards to lick it up."

:)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

You've actually managed to disgust me.

And I sometimes amuse myself with pictures of nasty and strange medical conditions.

You're a bastard.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Oh man. So that is what the Feelipeeni stewards use to dress and sauce the food they serve at the mess hall! :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

PeZook wrote:You've actually managed to disgust me.

And I sometimes amuse myself with pictures of nasty and strange medical conditions.

You're a bastard.
*writes it down into a list of things that disgust PeZook*
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Rapidly approaching the end of my current Glowworm arc; should be able to get the last bit done today.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Then we can have a TRAIN JOB with BRAGYLYD NYZKA. And Krow. He likes to stand and go boo! Reputation is solid!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Magister Militum
Redshirt

Post by Magister Militum »

Contrary to popular belief, I am not dead. The start of the school year at my university has kept me busy. I should have something out by this week, though.
"America is impossible to conquer. There are too many gas stations and too many empty coca-cola bottles there." -Gregory Zhukov

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." -Douglas MacArthur
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Then we can have a TRAIN JOB with BRAGYLYD NYZKA. And Krow. He likes to stand and go boo! Reputation is solid!
Maybe some time, but I'm a bit exhausted with Glowworm material, and would like to try to get a few other things under my belt before I tackle any more of that.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

To be fair, that last Glowworm was pretty nice. Yeah let's go have some inter-nation international dickery. :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

The Centrality is fucked. The Black Berets fired off the first shots, and there's nothing Forg and his superiors can do.

EDIT: Well Steve, here's your pretext for war. :P
Last edited by Force Lord on 2010-09-13 04:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, Shroom, you asked for dickery and you got it.

Force Lord, I have serious issues with the proposition that "there's nothing Forg and his superiors can do." For one, because there's really nothing stopping Challenger's marines from shooting their way in and finding out that a special operations group went rogue, especially if Forg orders his crew to stand down.

Unless you go far, far out of your way to make the Centralists really idiotic insane idiots, much farther than you have to date, this situation is perfectly salvageable. All the Centralists not involved in the rogue Black Beret actions have to do is, you know, not decide that the commandos' actions compel them to make some kind of suicidal last stand.

Also:
Lonestar wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Good. We always prefer rational neighbors, but when dealing with someone bound and determined to behave as if they are our enemy, suicidal overconfidence is such a charming form of psychosis. It makes for short, victorious wars, you see.
Ooooo Scary.
:D
Good. If your ambitions are strongly expansionist, it would hardly serve my purposes for you to be alarmed enough to grow a sense of caution at this stage.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

I was thinking more about diplomatic consequences, Simon. And the EMP had Forg stuck in his room, while all the comm units he has are long-range models, incapable of short-range contact. His comlinks are busted, so he's incommunicado. Sorge may tell the crew to stand down, but he doesn't know who fired first, since he, unlike Forg, can't tell the differences in sound between Black Beret assault rifles and Marine ones. Same for the rest of the crew, so if they resist, it'll be because of an misunderstanding.

EDIT: And I doubt they'll resist to the bitter end: Centralist ship crews are not as fanatical as the Black Berets. So they'll be more likely to surrender. They might even ask their captors not to deport them back home, since it means instant execution for them.

EDIT 2: Actually, now that I think about it, Vilyn Corbas could tell Sorge that the BB shot first. However, she's nearly as fanatical as them, so she's not reliable.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Sorry for the double post, but I have to shut down for today. I may be able to respond tomorrow.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

While I see that FL can't respond, it does seem to me that it's perfectly reasonable for a large fraction of the crew to surrender, either on their own or on orders from their officers via surviving communication systems. The Black Berets are hopelessly outnumbered by Challenger's Marine detachment, and will probably go down fairly quickly, unless their plan is some kind of bizarre defense in depth.

But really, all this does from an operational point of view is

Now, the Centrality may be "screwed" in the sense that it's revealed that their internal security forces are frothing lunatics, but a skirmish on this scale isn't an automatic act of war. From the point of view of someone in Parliament who knows all the available facts, the reaction is just as liable to be "OK, that was... special."
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Feh. Worse things have happened in history and didn't lead to war, and the Anglians are pretty laid back, lily-livered liberals they are ;)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:To be fair, that last Glowworm was pretty nice...
But wait! There's more!

Aaand that's the last of it; I am now finished with the Glowworm arc, at just over 29000 words!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

In communist Umeria Book reads YOU! :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Attaboy Fin! :lol:

Oh man. Oh man. :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Sorry I was incommunicado yesterday, the internet went kerplunk. Turned out to be a wire too old to maintain a good signal and faulty connections.

A tech visit and an hour of work later, everything's up and running. :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Poor, poor SchromKorp. JINGO Act!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Ah, 'Zook, that's excellent. AIs hiding out on a moon. I already know what the name for the next chapter'll be :D.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Awaiting Steve's response.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Force Lord wrote:Awaiting Steve's response.
Sorry, gimme a bit.

How many of these Black Berets are there on the ship anyway?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Steve wrote:How many of these Black Berets are there on the ship anyway?
Hmm, between 50 and 100. Tell me if it's too high.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Force Lord wrote:
Steve wrote:How many of these Black Berets are there on the ship anyway?
Hmm, between 50 and 100. Tell me if it's too high.
Well, on a stealth ship of Light hull size, 50-100 would be 25-50% of a logical crew (DDs typically equal about 200 crew. Though i suppose different paradigms of ship design might change this).

It's not too much, since even at 100 they're outnumbered by about 20 to 1 or more by the Marines still on Challenger. But I honestly think 50 should be the max. Since the ship has to be able to operate with them on top of the normal crew and necessary passengers.

Anyway, got a bit up, your turn.