SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread II

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Steve wrote:Hence why I never bothered with drawing a map (I suck at it anyway).

And the designations primarily refer to the primacy of the continents. Earth is a bit of an interesting thing since, technically, up until Suez and Panama were canalized you had two large continents: the Americas, as one (in terms of connected landmasses at least) and Eurasia-Africa as the other.

Even cutting Earth up in the modern continents, I figured it'd be this:

Asia: Primary Continent
Africa, North America, South America: Secondary Continents
Europe, Australia, Antarctica: Tertiary Continents

it's meant to be the continents in relation to each other more than land mass raw, though. You could have a planet where the primary continents are Africa sized, then a Secondary Continent 75% the size of Africa, then a couple Tertiary Continents the size of Australia. Or a planet where the Primary Continent is only the size of South America, a couple Secondary Continents are in the Antarctica-Europe size range, and there is no Tertiary Continent per se but a metric crapload of archipelagos.

Anyway, I don't really see the need to do maps for worlds in this setting.
Now that you put it that way, here's how I see Halkeginia divided up:

General land masses: One primary continent ("Continent A"), one secondary continent ("Continent B") and one tertiary continent ("Continent C") attached to Continent A, two secondary continents ("Continent D" and "Continent E") attached to each other, one stand-alone tertiary continent ("Continent F"), a bunch of islands
East Gallia: 40% of Continent A, 50% of Continent C, some islands surrounding Continents A and C
West Gallia: 33.3% of Continent B, 35% of Continent C, half of one island and at least three whole islands surrounding Continent C
Tristain: 15% of Continent C, half of one island and at least two islands surrounding Continent C
Liberion: 20% of Continent A, 33.3% of Continent B, 80% of Continent D, all of Continents E and F, the majority of all islands on Halkeginia
Qumar: 20% of Continent A, 33.3% of Continent B
Azadistan: 20% of Continent A

And therein lies the difference between our creative processes. You seem to be just fine with pure text, while I need visuals for help with some things. In any case, as I said previously, just treat the mutilated map of Earth as an abstraction. This'll probably be the only time I'll need to draw a map for this game anyway, so...
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:You seem to be just fine with pure text, while I need visuals for help with some things. I
Hear hear, others are fine with pure text, but some of us need to fill their posts with gratuitous pictographic depictions to accompany the ponderous texts and cram the thread full of it. I am so guilty! :lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Holy shit! HOLY SHIT SIDNEY HANK I LOVE YOU! :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hahahahahahahahaha. *Deep breath* Man! Oh man!

HELICIS, is that you? ;)

CACKLE! KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!

EDIT:

By the way, man. I figured out the origins of Unit 7! Finally! The Collectors managed to acquire compilations of RUTHLESS 80s action movies, and to their cold calculating machine intellects thus it was most logical to design a machine in the shape, form and likeness of something so dread-inspiring that simply its visage would send a collective quake of womanly fear in the subconscious of all post-Diaspora human civilizations. They thus fashioned Unit 7 in the likeness of the deadliest creature in all human culture. AHNULD!
Last edited by Shroom Man 777 on 2010-08-22 03:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Sidney...you magnificent bastard! :D
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

All your mentions of Q have got me thinking of something pertaining to Haruhi Suzumiya as she exists in this story. If Steve or anyone else with authority over this game finds it too outlandish, I'm willing to drop the whole thing, but at least hear me out first.

Now, I never really cared much for Star Trek apart from The Original Series, so I actually had to look up a few things on Memory Alpha regarding Q and his species. From what I understand, a Q can have his/her powers reduced or outright revoked as punishment for crimes or other misbehaviour. Within her own universe, Haruhi Suzumiya is an outright living god, the catch being that she has no conscious control over her abilities and that other people (her SOS Brigade) have to keep her content and well-adjusted so that she doesn't wind up unwittingly rewriting the entire universe because she's pissed.

Putting two and two together, I came up with this: Haruhi Suzumiya was a rogue Q who was sentenced to spend eternity as a teenaged human girl as punishment for some truly unspeakable crime. While the rest of the Continuum let her keep her immortality, they placed blocks on all her other abilities and had her mind wiped clean of any references to the Q, the Continuum, and anything else pertaining to their species. This all happened sometime in the late 20th or early 21st centuries. She's caught on to her state of immortality since then and has used it to her advantage, but she only knows of the Q as fictional characters on some old TV show she never really liked.

ImageImageImage
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Sigh.

Plans to achieve godhood, always about power. No control, no finesse, no subtlety, no memory of Evil Overlord List entries 22, 24, or 151... I mean come on, you really think something like a Q can be foiled by throwing a double-plus-extra-huge helping of mere electricity at him? Or, for that matter, that an omniscient being isn't just setting you up to fail comically?

[hides file folder of own Secret Plans]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Feh! Blitzschlag already is closing in on Q-tech(he can already Quantum leap people through...SCIENCE!). He desires to kill Q himself.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Hrm, no outright objection, Shinn.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Lonestar wrote:Feh! Blitzschlag already is closing in on Q-tech(he can already Quantum leap people through...SCIENCE!). He desires to kill Q himself.
Same objection applies; my money is on Q setting up Dr. Blitzschlag to fail comically, in the process doing all sorts of insane things like putting Shep into the universe. Twice.

Any universe Shep is in is insane*; SDNW4 is now doubly insane.

*Yes, this includes the real one. Real life is fundamentally insane.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Simon_Jester wrote:I mean come on, you really think something like a Q can be foiled by throwing a double-plus-extra-huge helping of mere electricity at him? Or, for that matter, that an omniscient being isn't just setting you up to fail comically?
But... but... seventh-order force manipulation!

:D

Also, I don't think the Q have ever been shown to be omniscient.
Lonestar wrote:Feh! Blitzschlag already is closing in on Q-tech(he can already Quantum leap people through...SCIENCE!). He desires to kill Q himself.
We cannot allow a reality hacking gap!
Last edited by Siege on 2010-08-22 05:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

As I've said in the AIM chat, there's only one way to kill or harm Q.

Persuade me into letting you do it. :twisted:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Steve wrote:As I've said in the AIM chat, there's only one way to kill or harm Q.

Persuade me into letting you do it. :twisted:
Would bribing you work? :D :twisted:
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Dunno. Depends on the bribe. :mrgreen: 8)

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

We should begin a fund raising campaign. We could call it "Whores for Steve!" or "Think of the mods! They are people,too!"
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Oh hell no. Because knowing you lot, you'd let Shep and Shroom handle the arrangements and I'd end up with... something unspeakably horrible and embarrassing. :wtf: :shock: :P

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Heh. Siege thought that Sir James Bronson was a reference to actor Charles Bronson. :mrgreen:

Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Steve wrote:Oh hell no. Because knowing you lot, you'd let Shep and Shroom handle the arrangements and I'd end up with... something unspeakably horrible and embarrassing. :wtf: :shock: :P
Like Shep and Shroom clad only in whipped cream? You may get to work with the rusty spoons now.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Magister Militum
Redshirt

Post by Magister Militum »

...?...!

All I'm going to say is that if Q is around the power level of the same N-Dimensionals that Siege borrowed the term from, then Bad ThingsTM are going to happen to poor Sidney.
"America is impossible to conquer. There are too many gas stations and too many empty coca-cola bottles there." -Gregory Zhukov

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." -Douglas MacArthur
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Hay! Sidney ain't no Sigmund Freud, mister! :D

Alright, that would be enough for the preposterously obscure references, wouldn't you think?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Siege wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:I mean come on, you really think something like a Q can be foiled by throwing a double-plus-extra-huge helping of mere electricity at him? Or, for that matter, that an omniscient being isn't just setting you up to fail comically?
But... but... seventh-order force manipulation!

:D

Also, I don't think the Q have ever been shown to be omniscient.
A point, but his knowledge of what's going on in a universe he built explicitly for his own amusement is going to be pretty good, I'd imagine...

Seventh order force manipulation is all very well, but there are times when one needs a third-order mind to handle them properly, and I doubt Hank's got one.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Of course, what Eleanor, Welkin, and the other Westies don't know is that the Easties assaulting Camp Inglebard don't have a genuine, honest-to-Heraclius Baneblade in their possession, but rather a knock-off with an underpowered engine, thinner armor, inferior active defenses, inferior missiles, and no void shields. The battle cannon, autocannon, heavy bolters, and pintle-mounted storm bolter were all replaced with reverse-engineered Bragulan K-bolters of varying sizes and the lascannons were replaced with black-market Sovereignty phased plasma guns, however, so it'll still be a tough customer for Welkin's Edelweiss tanks and the Westie anti-armor troops. I'll go into further detail with the next Gallia post.

ImageImageImage

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

What game is that screenie from?

Oh, and, do you use any IM programs? :)

Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Steve wrote:What game is that screenie from?

Oh, and, do you use any IM programs? :)
The game is Valkyria Chronicles. I had actually used stuff from that game in SDN World 3 for the Soviet-Manchurian conflict, but since that whole thing bogged down, I was never able to get very far with my plans for that.

As for IM programs, I don't currently use any. I should probably get an AIM or MSN account, though...

ImageImageImage

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Simon_Jester wrote:Seventh order force manipulation is all very well, but there are times when one needs a third-order mind to handle them properly, and I doubt Hank's got one.
Well... He sure didn't become the longest living human in the galaxy by being a slouch in the mental department.