Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Siege
Sith Marauder

Re: SDN World 3 Story Thread I

Post by Siege »

Venice
German Italy

Siegfried Schenk looked out across Venice. The Egyptian cruise vessel which had taken him, his wife and several dozen other passengers across the Mediterranean, the SS Harmattan, was still docked at its pier in the ancient harbour of the city of canals. A trickle of smoke seeped from its three mighty funnels. Not to far away across the Giudecca Canal the Santa Croce crawled into the Venetian lagoon, a tumble of ancient patrician's houses and palazzios each of which was worth a small fortune.

It was the Count's first view of Europe since his exile after the 1915 Vienna Massacre, and at first glance very little seemed to have changed in his absence. But then this was Venice, a city that hadn't changed much over the centuries. Certainly the city didn't appear very German. Most everyone spoke Italian, and the only obviously German presence so far had been the customs officers who had checked their papers after they had come ashore. Well, that and the massive cannon battery that was being constructed on the edge of the harbour.

Von Schenk sighed and turned away from the harbour. He felt weird. He was finally going home, something he had dreamed about for the better part of a decade -- and yet, being back in the Reich didn't feel very homely so far. It felt European, sure, but after so many years in Egypt he wondered how European he himself still was. The fact that he wasn't only in Europe for his own business didn't make answering that question any easier, either.

He was still brooding over this when he got back to the hired car that waited for him, a heavy modern Adler Standard 6. Its driver looked at him and raised an eyebrow. "I thought you'd look happier, being back in Europe and everything."

"Just get me back to the hotel, MacBride," Schenk told the burly Scottish bodyguard who for the time being masqueraded as his aide. "I'll feel better once we get to Berlin."

RESULT: The Count is in Europe.
Last edited by Siege on 2010-03-14 11:01am, edited 1 time in total.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

The Niislel Khüree Swift Horseman

Gobi Desert

Paleontologists from the Niislel Khüree State University, Biology Department, have announced a new find from Ömnögovi Aimag, announcing a new genus of dinosaur, one of the largest predators seen in the world. The beast is being tentatively called Jenghizkhan baatar and based on the remains, the animal is judged to have been nearly 11 meters long with a skull being approximately 1.3 meters long. Combined with news of many other dinosaurs being discovered, the Great Khural has announced that it shall call 1927 "the Year of the Dinosaur" and will fund many paleontology projects for Mongolia in the hopes of becoming the world leader in knowledge on these ancient beasts and the pride of the scientific community.

However, some paleontologists have called this a crass move, saying the funding increases are going to be rather minimal at best, while several in the military are saying that with the conflict in Afghanistan, funding should not be used on superfluous projects with no discernible benefit.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Colonel Sir Joshua James Juarez was many, many things in the world that would seem a contradiction. He was a world traveller who had lived half his adult life in most of the Capitals of Europe and was possibly amongst the most cosmopolitan of the men who ran in the circles of the international elite yet he remained an ardent Mexican Nationalist. He was a member of the peerage in the Chamber of Deputies yet was also a sponsor-member of the Federation of International Textile Workers and an advocate of labor reform and had been born the son of simple government ministers. He was almost completely American in a government and country dominated by Criollo and European descended families. He was Colonel of His Imperial Majesty's 1st Guard Dragoons Regiment, Chair of the Board of Regents of the University of Veracruz, member of the Mexican mission to Cascadia, Ambassador of Nicaragua to the same...but most importantly he was, and had been since childhood, the closest personal friend of His Imperial Majesty Phillip II of Mexico.

Colonel Juarez had lived a life enough for five men and yet few if any beyond the immediate circle of the Mexican Court knew who he was or what he did. In that capacity he was so overwhelmed with titles that it was easy to give false impressions to many. In this case his role as a Deputy Chief of Mission for Military Concerns meant that the Ambassador (and the Foreign Secretary) firmly believed that he was their man, in his role as Ambassador for Nicaragua (in one of those odes to legality Nicaraguan remained a technically separate nation whose policies were "review" by Mexico) he was free to ignore the two. In this case it was most important as the government and court in Mexico were at some odds and his friend did not wish to provoke a mass resignation and the election of a new and even more stridently reactionary government than already was at hand.

Thus as a mere matter of a courtesy call upon behalf of some fishing concerns in Nicaragua who wanted to look in to setting up an advanced market for the expected boost to Cascadian imports after the new canal opened Juarez was able to wrangle a meeting with the Cascadian Vice-President. With the turmoil engulfing their government, particularly with the departure of Secretary MacKenzie, he needed an ear that was free and one unlikely to be caught should the shit truly start to hit the fan.

"While certainly we could continue on I must say that we have four or more years to hammer any such details...and I do have a more pressing matter to convey"

The shift in tone was obvious enough that Cadbury thought briefly of calling for Stephen to join him. He had known Joshua socially for a half decade, and more importantly knew of his attachment to Mexico's Emperor, it was only the eyes that told him there wasn't enough time. Colonel JJ Juarez had eyes that were as urgent as they were serious...

"Before I returned north I was able to spend a brief week aboard the Imperial Yacht in the Gulf of California...his Majesty does not wish for armed confrontation nor for confrontation of any sort. The current government is pushing because they are men who believe force is the only appropriate tool and who fail to see the pariah we would become. We cannot stop the current pressure but there way be a way. The issue is one which His Majesty take seriously and that is the plight of the Bajanos, they are under-represented and over-taxed..."

Cadbury was about to interrupt when the slightly outfaced palm of Juarez stopped him.

"We could debate it endlessly whether this is fact, conjecture, right or wrong, but suffice to say it is a view held by an overwhelming majority of Mexicans and it informs everything the government will do to rile up passions against California. His Majesty does not need Baja back, he does not need an independent Baja, and he certainly doesn't need a California recklessly attempting to fight a war half a decade after a revolution within its own ranks. These would all bring disorder and disorder is the enemy of empires...what we need is not a thing but a SIGN. The money solves the temporary issue but not the larger one because it was improperly framed to ameliorate the distrust upon which the current government acts. A show of support for the Bajanos would erode the belief that armed intervention is required."

"What I mean to say is this, you need not do anything thing differently save that if you make your target audience the will of the Mexican people then the government will not dare move to exacerbate the matter...and that is all I can or must be able to say."
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Portland, Federal District

Cadbury's report had left Stephen in a deep strain of thought. He was already occupied by other things - debates over the military budget for the following year, domestic issues, the need to work with the Whigs after the slight Liberal defeat in the midterms and the necessity of a Liberal-Whig coalition to keep the Tories from blocking needed Liberal legislation - and the California situation was a major strain on him. Weyland had proven incapable of dealing with California's President Lawson, a man of Cascadian-Yank background and of clearly questionable political judgement who regarded Cascadia's oil interest as sufficient to ensure he could ignore the demands of the Bajanos and their Mexican patrons.

The Mexican Emperor was looking for an out in the situation, something that fit what Stephen knew of the man and the reports from Ambassador Balfour in Mexico City. It fell upon him to give him one.

The door to his office opened and Rachel entered, wearing a pleasant green blouse with white striping and a matching blue dress. She saw him looking out the window and walked up, putting her arms around him from behind. "You're up late," she said softly.
"Got a lot of thinking to do over this California situation, love," he answered. "Emperor Phillip isn't as aggressive as his government. He knows the disaster further tension could bring. The Mexicans need some indication that we're not oblivious to the issues in California, something the Emperor and his supporters can use in dealing with the current government..."
"What are you going to do?"
Drawing in a sigh, one idea already present in his mind, he sought to ask Rachel about it, given her clear interest for it. "How's your mother?"
"Better, since Father took her back to Vallejo," Rachel answered. "But he misses the children. I was hoping we could go to Father's for Christmas..."
"Not sure I can go that far from the capital with this situation," he sighed. "But I'll try... anyway, she does better in the California weather? Well, that makes this easier..."
"What?"
He turned and faced his wife, putting a loving hand on her cheek. "I'd hoped to never ask your father to do this, but... I need him, Rachel. I think he's the perfect candidate for what I have in mind."
"You're going to call him out of retirement?", she asked, with some trepidation. "Surely not to Europe?"
"Oh, no, I wouldn't do that, couldn't do that, to any of you," Stephen remarked quickly, shaking his head. "No, dear, something a lot... closer. I want to send him to Los Angeles to replace Ambassador Weyland."

Rachel stood silently for a moment. "Well, he would only be a couple days' train ride away at most, the children will love that. And Mother did love their visit to LA years ago... I think it would do her well. This is your way to resolve the situation with Mexico?"
"It could be, yes. A Mexican landowner of Cascadia serving as our Ambassador in Los Angeles would send the right signals, I believe. It might also convince Lawson to stop being so pigheaded. I think the Bajanos will approve his tax scheme if they get better representation in the Californian Senate, and even if not... better that than the alternative."
"Yes, of course." Rachel gave him a kiss on the lips. "But you must promise me he can visit home when the time comes."
"The time for what, my dear?"
She smiled widely.... and set her stomach on her belly. "I saw the doctors today, love. We're going to have another baby."
At first there was shock, a bit of surprise... and then a joyous laugh as the Cascadian President embraced his beloved wife and kissed her warmly, jubilant to hear the news. "Yes, Rachel, of course he can visit," Stephen laughed happily.

Actions:
Ambassador Alistair Weyland recalled. President Garrett to appoint Rafael Galverdas, his father-in-law and a landowner of Catholic Mexican culture - just like the aggrieved Bajanos - to the post of Ambassador to the Republic of California.
Rachel Garrett nee Galverdas pregnant with fourth child. Is it a boy or a girl? We'll find out in Q3 1927. :wink:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

New Year's Day in Kabul
Ordinarily Minister Al-Ludd would be at home today. He would not be pinned behind a car by rioters. Normally - if such things could ever be normal - they would not be women. The war effort was scaling back thanks to the lack of any real Shepistani offensive and the proof that an assault on their enemy would be horrifically bloody, but there was one unforeseen hitch in the return to a peacetime economy.

The women.

They had been allowed to work in factories freely, and a few had even taken advantage of the temporary suspension of the laws restricting them to try and become doctors and professors. It had been scandalous - but legal. But it had given them a taste for that freedom, as had the lack of a controlling male presence in their homes. Al-Ludd's miserable reflections were shattered as a gunshot rang out and smashed through the window of the car door next to him. Women, with guns, in Afghanistan, demanding freedom.

It was going to be a long day.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Blohm&Voss, Hamburg
December 16th, 1926

The battlecruiser hit the water to the cheers of the shipyard workers. They had been promised a large christmas bonus if Blohm&Voss would once more be the shipyard in Germany that delivered the highest quality at the quickest pace. Not that there was much leeway in such matters anyway, with the people of the Reichsmarineamt (RMA) breathing down the necks of the shipyards and making sure corners were not cut. Although the ship launched was not destined for the German Navy, the RMA had promised the buyers the highest quality controls. The deadline for the launch had been December 30th, 1926 - and they had managed to beat that by fourteen days. This gave particular satisfaction to the managers, who had heard that their main rival, Germaniawerft Kiel, had trouble with their launch gear.

Before the manager however could announce the success to the workers, the lead inspector of the RMA, who had been talking on the phone to his colleagues, turned towards him and announced with fake sympathy: "I am sorry, Herr Direktor, but the Naval shipyard at Bremerhaven launched the battleship destined for Spain three hours ago." Furious, the manager threw down his cap. Then his eyes turned towards the second, much larger slipway, on which the far more giant Scharnhorst-class battlecruiser was nearing completion. We better double our efforts.

And in the distance, the even more giant slipway was nearing completion. It had been a good two years for Blohm&Voss. And with the new contract for the newest battlecruiser already signed, there was no reason for the workers not to receive a generous Christmas bonus.

Berlin

The News were focused even more on the Navy than usual the following day.
Berliner Zeitung
December 17th, 1926

Germany launches battleships for export
The Naval shipyard at Bremerhaven, Germaniawerft Kiel and Vulcan Stettin announced yesterday that they had succesfully launched the 2 Battleships and 1 Battlecruiser destined for the Navy of Spain. The ships are part of an export deal made with Spain two years ago. Spanish shipyards announced today that they too had launched the corresponding 2 Battleships and 1 Battlecruisers, all who will now enter the fitting out and trial stage. Sea trials are slated to begin in August 1927. This move will more than double the capabilities of the Spanish Navy and continues the long and friendly tradition of brotherhood between the two nations. Critics have even gone so far as to call the Spanish Navy Germany's little brother, as with the exception of the España class, all Spanish ships are German-designed.

Blohm&Voss, Hamburg and Schichau, Danzig, today announced the launch of two battlecruisers destined for China. The two ships are destined to become flagships of the Chinese Navy. They are of the same design as the Spanish battlecruisers.
Berliner Zeitung
December 20th, 1926

Carriers launched
The Kaiserliche Werft, Wilhelmshaven, Blohm&Voss, Hamburg, Germaniawerft, Kiel, and the Naval shipyard, Bremerhaven, announced today that the four Lexington class carriers conversions have been launched succesfully. Two of those are destined for the French Navy.

Vulcan Stettin drops out of battleship building
Following the launch of the Spanish battlecruiser, Vulcan Stettin today announced that it would not compete in the upcoming battleship tender, citing that its sole slipway was not large enough to built ship larger than 40000 tons. Instead, Vulcan Stettin will focus on smaller ships and carriers, continuing a shift towards that capability that has started since 1912. Apparently, the management considers carriers, cruisers, destroyers and submarines to be more profitable in the long run.

Dutch shipyards launch cruisers
The state owned dutch shipyards, namely the Rijskwerft, Rotterdam and the State Naval shipyard, Antwerpen, have launched the four heavy cruisers that have been building since August 1925 in their yards. Fitting out and sea trials are supposed to be completed by August 1927.
Berliner Zeitung
December 22nd, 1926

Österreich class Battleships finish refit
The two Österreich class Battleships, SMS Österreich and SMS Ungarn, have completed their refits. Two of the three Ziethen class, SMS Ziethen and SMS Roon, have also completed their refits. The refit of the third Ziethen class, SMS Schlieffen, is currently ongoing and scheduled to be completed in March 1927. The same applies to the battleship SMS Prinz Heinrich.

Research projects completed
The German Navy today finally announced the reason for the announced refits of the battleships. It announced that superheavy shells have been tested and accepted, with mass production having already started. The German Navy has constructed a superheavy shell for the 16", 16"/50, 16.5" and 18" calibers. Complete shell weights are withheld, but insiders have revealed that the 16" shell will amass 2700 lbs, the 16.5" will amass 1300 kg and the 18" will amass 3900 lbs.

The refits are "necessary to give our existing modern battleships the capability to fire those weapons." Each refit takes approximately 6 months. Asked why the 16" carrying Baden class was not considered for refitting, the Naval Staff said that recoil problems and the slow cruising speed of 12 knots would either necessitate the fitting of bulges and a new machinery, which would cost too much money at this junction and was therefore not considered. In the event of such an extensive refit, the ships would most likely be out of action for more than a year. Asked why the Bismarck class was not entering refit, the RMA said that they had been designed with the capability to fire those shells right from the start.

Das Reichsmarineamt also said that it had completed plans for a slipway of 50m width and 350m length. However, currently there are no plans for constructing any such slipway and most people regard this as little more than a design study.

The Navy also announced that a prototype for a 20" cannon has been completed by Krupp and that the Naval proving ground will start testing. Tests are expected to last until August 1927, at which time the Navy will announce whether to use this weapon or not.
Results:
- ships for export are launched.
- carriers are launched
- heavy cruisers are launched
- research projects completed
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Co-written with Thanas

Volkonsky Townhouse
Berlin

The open-topped KTW Silbervogel eased to a halt in front of the townhouse, its Stirling engine purring softly. Count Siegfried Schenk stepped out and held open the door to allow his wife to exit gracefully. She smiled at him. "Nervous, dear?"

He gave her a look. "Why do you ask?"

Her smile widened fractionally. "Because you never hold the car door open."

"I don't?" the Count frowned a little. "No, I suppose I don't." He sighed. "It's just that it's been a while since I had to deal with European politics. And to be frank I'm not entirely sure what it is the Sultan wants to hear about this meeting when we get back."

"So we will get back?" Daphne asked inquisitively.

Siegfried opened his mouth to answer, then frowned and reconsidered. "You know, I hadn't really considered that possibility before."

She inclined her head fractionally, her lips twitching. "I did indeed know that."

The Count closed the door of the sleek-looking car. "What do you think?"

"I think that right now, you need to focus your attention on Herr Sänger and all the things you might want to discuss with him. Like your standing at the court, and if he intends to make war on the Dominion. That is what the Sultan wants to know, isn't it?"

"You know about that?"

She rolled her eyes. "Dear. I am the president of the Universal Suez Ship Canal Company. A war would have quite the impact on our bottom line. So of course I know about that." She gestured at the townhouse. "Well, shall we?"

Siegfried smiled a little and offered her his arm, which she took. "We shall." They walked up to the front door, and rang the doorbell. The Graf and his wife were welcomed by a servant clad in the colours of House Volkonsky, who bowed and asked them to follow. After leading them into the main hall, the two were welcomed by the Count Volkonsky himself. Usually, being of princely blood, it would be up to the Graf Schenk to bow first. However, Volkonsky offered his hand before anybody could even start to bow.

After the customary small talk was made, the Count asked them to follow. Reaching the library, he pushed open the door to reveal the Chancellor and his wife sitting at a coffee table. Coffee for two had already been served, with two more cups and plates, together with small cakes, having been prepared.

"Doktor Sänger," Siegfried stepped forward and shook the Chancellor's. "Thanks again for taking the time to set up this meeting. It is good to finally see you again. You hardly seem to have changed at all..." He smiled a little and looked over at Natasha. "Except for one thing, of course." He took the countess' proffered hand and kissed it lightly. "Milady, it is a pleasure to meet you. The pictures in the newspaper don't do you justice at all."

Natasha smiled, but being of higher rank, did not curtsy in return. "Thank you. It is a pleasure meeting you. And you, of course." She addressed the Graf's wife in return. "You must tell me about the latest news about the arabian breeds.."

Sänger meanwhile was inwardly pleased, given that the count had remembered that as a hanseat, he did not prefer - or even liked - being called his excellency. "Herr Graf."

The introductions being made, the Count Volkonsky excused himself. Hans, Sänger's valet and bodyguard, did the same after a small nod. With Natasha and Daphne engaged in conversation, it was easy to remove their own conversation into a more discreet corner under the guise of pretending to show the Graf the library. The two men exchanged pleasantries until they were sure they had put enough distance between themselves and anyone else to ensure their conversation would not be overheard. Once this was so, Siegfried went on to raise the first issue he wanted to address.

"There are a few matters I would like to discuss with you, Doktor Sänger. First of all... There is the matter of my fortuitous return to good standing." Siegfried frowned a little. "His Majesty the Kaiser was kind enough to grant me a reprieve from most official court functions, but I can't help wonder what my peers and indeed society at large think of my rehabilitation. Unfortunately I have long since lost track of most of my contacts in Berlin..." Because my yellow-bellied so-called friends abandoned ship the moment I was implicated, the Count thought bitterly, but he had enough tact not to voice that sentiment. "And as much as it embarasses me to say it, as a result I have no real inclination of my standing. Yet I wouldn't want to cause a scene, or any undue embarassment for that matter. How would you advise me to proceed? Am I free to go where I please or should I, ah, 'lay low', as the Americans say?"

The Reichskanzler nodded. "Your Hochwohlgeboren are of course free to go wherever you please, as any German citizen is." Sänger paused a moment, phrasing his reply as carefully as possible. "As for the opinion at court - Unfortunately, Euer Hochwohlgeboren, I am afraid that his Imperial Majesty is not one who is steady in his opinion. His feelings about people are subject to change on a moment's notice and he did not have the best of days lately, I am afraid." There was no need to go on. After all, someone as connected as Schenk would know about the latest scandal Wilhelm's words had caused and the persistent rumours about His Majesty's health. "However, I know from personal experience that the court of the Crown Prince, His Royal Majesty Friedrich I., King of the Netherlands and of the Belgians, is far less fickle. Then again, it would of course not do to meet him and not the Kaiser, for that would be taken as a sign of disrespect."

"I see." Schenk answered while his mind was already thinking about the possibilities. The Count had been considering the nigh-boundless opportunities the conquered (scratch that he thought ironically, I meant liberated) territories no doubt offered to a savvy businessman. Perhaps it was time to do some liberating of his own -- of Dutch shipbuilding expertise for example, one of the few areas in which the ever-growing industrial conglomerate he owned was yet lacking. Doing so might kill two birds with one stone: obtain technical expertise at the cheap, and bring himself into the good graces of the German court.

"However," Sänger continued, "His Majesty still has the same likes and dislikes. I have taken care to mention your name with regards to the recent arms deal we concluded. So maybe all it will take is a little show of good faith - attend some events and hope to get noticed. For example, the New Year's celebrations at court, to which I can get you access, would be a good place to start."

Schenk tried his hardest not to make a face, but he was fairly sure some of his reservations showed nonetheless. He hadn't anticipated the possibility of having to endure an official court function during his visit, and truth be told he wasn't looking forward very much to the possibility of meeting (and more importantly, having to make polite small-talk with) the Kaiser, who was after all responsible for his decade-long exile from Germany and Europe. Even so, he recognized the veracity of Sänger's words -- snubbing Wilhelm now would be inadvisable at the very best. The Kaiser did indeed have a reputation as a fickle man. At long last the Count nodded. "I'd be much obliged," he responded. "We had planned on celebrating Old Year's Night at the estate, but as I recall Berlin is quite magnificent at New Year's." At least it'll be ever so slightly less cold than OstpreuBen, he added in his mind. If there was one thing he'd realized in the past few days it was that his years in Egypt had robbed him of much of his tolerance of the Central European winter.

The two had almost made their way to the entire library. Eventually, Sänger stopped in front of a rather large tome laid out on a reading desk. Opening it, he revealed a medieval copy of Hecataeus of Milet's famous world map. Putting his finger on the right edge of the map, he wistfully remarked "It was all so uncomplicated back then, wasn't it?"

"You mean back when there were yet Persians clamouring at the gates of Europe?" The Count smiled a little to take the sting out of his remark. "In my experience the world has grown larger, but the issues in it remain the same. Which brings me to another reason for this visit, one I suspect you must have inferred. I have been... asked," Schenk crossed his arms, and his tone made it abundantly clear it hadn't been a request at all, "to inquire if and how Egypt and Germany might cooperate more closely to counteract the aggressive posturing of the Grand Dominion. I am not privy to all the details, but I can tell you there is considerable anxiety in Cairo over the threat to the freedom of the seas posed by the fleets of Shepistan and the Dominion as well as the latter's control of the Bab el-Mandeb. The Sultan asked me to convey his hope that the information sharing agreement is the beginning, not the end, of the cooperation on this matter between Egypt and Germany."

The Count briefly considered his next words, but ultimately felt he owed it to his host not to omit his private reservations. "Of course, I suspect this isn't solely to do about a lofty principle like freedom of the seas. It is no secret crusader control of southern Arabia has long been a thorn in the eye of the Sultans, and the only reason Egypt hasn't yet taken it back is the crusaders' naval supremacy, something the Sultanate has not coincidentally been rapidly remedying in recent years." He shrugged. "Still. I am no strategist, but I imagine an informal agreement of some kind could be of use to..." The Count frowned, realizing he'd almost said 'both our nations'. Huh. "Both Germany and Egypt" he finally finished.

Sänger nodded. "I have to confess, Herr Graf, that this does come as a surprise to me. Considering that you are a member of the Aegean axis and that this does include the Byzantine Empire, which has an excellent Navy, why would the Sultanate need Germany?"

"Trouble, thy name is Shepistan," the Count smiled wryly. "At present, the Byzantines are worried more about them than the Dominion. Despite the ceaseless shooting between the Dominion and Shepistan it is... difficult to predict Von Sheppard's reaction. And with the Balkan Confederacy occupied with internal matters at least at the short term, we would be facing the possibility of an even fight. The Sultan would prefer to avoid that, and considering that our interests align..." He shrugged. "If one is to fight, it is better to do so with a decisive advantage."

The Reichskanzler nodded, then proceeded to voice his objections. "In any case, at least until August, the German Navy is in no condition to fight a war. Our battleships and battlecruisers will not have finished refitting until then, nevermind the demands placed on our manpower in incorporating the new Bismarck class battleships. As for the conduct of such a war, I am not sure if the conditions favor us. We would be fighting actions several thousand miles removed from our shipyards. I doubt your infrastructure allows the simultaneous repair of over 12 battleships."

The Count scratched his chin. "Indeed it doesn't, although the Byzantines would be able to effect repairs on such a scale. Rest assured that if Egypt goes to war, it won't be doing so without the support of its allies."

"I see. Still, there is the strategic situation to consider. The fleets of Germany's allies, with the exception of Tuscany, are not strong enough to protect their coasts from British aggression. They rely upon our heavy units to protect them. If we remove our fleet from our shores, we would dangerously expose ourselves, and nevermind the problems that would arise if we have to fight a war that will be several years long in the Indian Ocean."

"That is of course perfectly understandable. Of course, the British would perhaps think twice about waging a war against you if the Sultan were to threaten to close Suez to them -- that would leave their colonies in New Zealand and the Pacific dangerously vulnerable to..." the Count looked at Sänger from the corner of his eye, and his lips twiched a little. "Challengers."

"Even so, although I of course agree that Egyptian control over the lands of the fanatics would be far more preferable than the current situation, I am afraid the only naval support I could promise you would be the second-rank battleships already stationed in the IO and submarines. We could transfer over 100 submarines to that theater. However, I think you will agree with me that submarines and old battleships are an extremely bad way to win a war."

"But they would make quite a useful tool for denying the Dominion garrison in al-Yaman reinforcements. Without those reinforcements a war would be over all the quicker... The terrain might be difficult, but there is no way the Dominion troops can hold out against the Army of Arabia. With the support of our other allies I believe even a modest commitment could decisively tip the scales. I understand your predicament with regards to the British problem though -- perhaps we can work out an informal pledge of assistance? We promise not to interfere with Germany's policy towards Britain, Poland or the Nordic Union, and in return, Germany pledges some modest assets in case Egypt and its allies go to war against the Dominion?"

Sänger proceeded to think about it. It was a tempting offer, for it did provide Germany with security to settle the problem of Poland. On the other hand, it would practically guarantee war, something he was not prepared to do yet. Especially not because he was not sure how the old battleships were supposed to defeat the more modern dominion battleline and how his submarines would fare against the Dominion convoy tactics, which had been in constant training due to the Shepistani submarine threat. "No, Herr Graf. I am afraid that until the provocations of our Neighbours and the Dominion threat increases, I shall be unable to offer such an assurance. Especially considering that you are, as I currently understand, not empowered to make such a secret treaty for all the members of your alliance." The Reichskanzler paused for a moment. "However, should any particular of that situation change, I would be glad to receive your offer once more."

Schenk inclined his head fractionally. "I understand your position, and I'll relay it back to Cairo. They can see about coordinating with the rest of the alliance, I'm sure they'll get back to you. And that is enough geopolitics as far as I'm concerned..." The two men began the walk back through the library. "Oh, by the way... I have been talking with my broker about the possibility of diversifying my investment portfolio here in Germany. He told me I might be interested in buying into a Pomeranian shipbuilder I'd never heard of... An AG Vulcan Stettin. Do you happen to know if they are any good?"

Sänger's lip twitched in bemusement. "Indeed. They are a rather odd shipbuilder. Their management declined to expand their slipway to build the new Battleships. Instead, they believe the larger profit lies in building carriers, submarines and other light units. They already are the major partner in building our Hamburg class light units, with a third of those ships being built in their yard. I think you could reasonably expect to purchase up to 5% of their shares on the market, given the recent drop after they announced they would not make an offer for the new battleship contracts."

"Interesting, very interesting... So this would be a good time to buy. I'll be looking into doing so then, Mr. Hermes was quite enthusiastic and he has rarely been wrong in the past..."

The two statesmen joined their wives for coffee, the rest of the meeting spent with small talk of no consequence.

Results:
- informal meeting concluded
- Egyptian offer for a secret pact against the Dominion rejected
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Vienna
Zentralfriedhof
31st December 1926

"Hello, Julia. It has been quite the year..." As her husband started telling the headstone of the Vienna grave of his former beloved about the year, Natasha held his hand. Usually, she would be extremely jealous of the woman lying in it, but to her surprise she was not. From all Johannes had told her, she would have greatly liked Julia - and while that woman might have been the first, she would be the last. Unless something happened to her, in which case she very much would like her husband to visit her grave. So she waited silently while her husband finished telling the headstone about the year and then laid the beautiful flowers on the well-kept grave.
Linking Arms, the two then walked to the car.

Vienna, outskirts
2:00 AM

Natasha wondered how Graf Schenk had fared at the official Imperial New Years function. She and her husband had had a rather wonderful time at the New Year's ball and had retired early to get at least some hours of sleep before the New Year's concert tomorrow. As a servant opened the door to let them in the country house right outside Vienna, Natasha felt herself tensing up. So did her husband, considering the history of the house. She released his hand and then watched as Sänger wandered through the house, clearly reliving the memories. Eventually he stopped in front of the bookshelves. Putting her arms around him and laying her head against his right shoulder, Natasha offered: "We could always go to a hotel." After a while, she felt him relax. "No, let us not be silly."

The next day, after having attended the new Year's concert, they went back to the house to gather her things. Having changed into attire more suited for traveling, Natasha went down to find her husband once more standing in front of the bookshelves, his fingers tracing the backs of the books. Seeing that she had done more harm than good by bringing him here, Natasha went into the room and once more put her arms around him.

Steering him into the middle of the room, she wormed herself around him until she faced her husband. The two hugged each other. After several minutes, she broke the hug and smiled at her husband. Taking a step back, she took his right hand and put it on her wrist, while clasping the left hand with her own right. The invitation was unspoken and clear. After looking into her husband's eyes for some time, Natasha gathered her courage, performed the first dance step and remained in that position. After remaining so for two minutes, she was about to give up when her husband followed.
Illuminated by light shining through the windows, the two put old nightmares and young fears to rest.

Berlin, Reichskanzlei
January 4th

Feeling much rested from his short vacation, Sänger went to work. First, the business of the British had to be dealt with.
From the German Empire to the British Empire

Your Royal Majesty,
Your Excellency,

with regards to the planned summit between our respective empires and the speech of the Reichskanzler before the House of Parliament, the German Empire would like to enquire whether April 20th would be an acceptable date.

Signed,
Sänger, Reichskanzler

The larger part however was a pet project of him that finally had bore fruit, as the engineers had come up with a plan they believed to be working.
From the German Empire to the French Republic, the Kingdom of Tuscany, the Byzantine Empire and the Balkan confederacy

Your Imperial Majesty,
Your Royal Majesty,
Your Excellencies.

The German Empire would like to invite your nations as partners in a new construction project.

There are three secondary elements to this project:
a) strengthening of the Danube and Rhine river flows/preparations for a faster stream
b) strengthening of Rotterdam and Antwerp as harbors
c) strengthening of canals leading to the Rhine/Danube, both in Germany and countries bordering /having access via other rivers to the two rivers.

The primary element of the the Project would be the construction of a mass-transit capable canal between the Rhine River and the Danube.

A planned Rhine-Danube channel will link Europe's two largest rivers and allow goods to travel directly from Constantinople to the Atlantic harbors of the Netherlands, or allow goods from the Balkans easy access to other nations. Therefore, it is guaranteed to have a positive impact on the economy of all nations to whom this is addressed.

Germany, however, would not prefer to shoulder the immense costs of such a work alone. Germany is quite capable of doing so, but would rather not have to resort to more import taxes to cover the costs.

Scale of the project:
Attached map.
Rivers marked in red and green will be modified with dykes to increase flow. Note that in 1921, already part of that was completed. The blue part is the real canal.

Note that an older canal, the 19th century Ludwigskanal, already exists. However, it cannot handle the loads alone. Therefore, a new canal is necessary.

Canal dimensions:
length: 35km
depth: 4m max
width: 31 m (bottom).

Max allowed ship size:
length: 190m
width: 11m
depth: 2,5m

Cost
The costs still have to be determined, however estimates speak of several millions. It is expected that work will take at least six years.

The German empire welcomes any additional questions and looks forward to hear from you on this matter.

Signed,
Sänger, Reichskanzler

The Netherlands

The shot rang out true and clear. Almost immediately, the head of the target exploded in a sort of pinkish-gray mix. Satisfied with his skills, Thomas de Vries shouldered his weapon and walked over to his target. Extracting his combat knife, he started to cut into the stomach of his victim. Today, the resistance would feed on deer. And the next time an opportunity presented itself, they would not fail.

Results:
- offer to the European nations regarding canal building (for more details, see commentary thread)
- Message to the British Empire regarding Sänger's visit
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Ostia, November 1926

„Your ticket and passport, please.“
The customs official checked the passport and the ticket number against his list of passengers about to travel aboard the MS Santa Anna, put a stamp into the passport and handed everything back to the seatraveller to be.

“Everything in order, Mr. Hawker. Have a pleasant trip.”

Ernesto Hawker already had an unhealthy greenish tinge in his face, anticipating seasickness, but managed to thank the customs official and step into the boat that would ferry him to his home for the next weeks. Hew didn’t look forward to sea travel, especially such a long trip to the Bolivarian Union, but the Aviazione Navale-officer had been very clear: travel and ensure that the aircraft worked – or face charges of negligence at best, treason at worst. So he chose to travel and hoped that the Bolivarian workers were up to the task of mass producing his latest design - his own countrymen weren't.

An unhappy airdraft designer about to embark on a long-distance journey.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

From the German Empire to the British Empire

Your Royal Majesty,
Your Excellency,

with regards to the planned summit between our respective empires and the speech of the Reichskanzler before the House of Parliament, the German Empire would like to enquire whether April 20th would be an acceptable date.

Signed,
Sänger, Reichskanzler
[/quote]

Your excellency

The date would be acceptable.

David Lloyd George, Prime Minister
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Schloss Altwitz
Ostpreußen, Germany

Schloss Altwitz hadn't changed much since the Count's last visit. That was one of the good things about dealing with nobility and their staff: they tended to adjust badly to change and avoided it wherever possible. The Schloss was a big place, south of Ortelsburg, where the countryside rolled over a surprising variety of terrain—flat stretches of rich land that used to be farms, but was mostly big, expensive forest now. Dozens of little rivers and big creeks have carved hills and valleys more steep than most people expect from eastern Germany. The trees out in the area, one of the older settlements in eastern Prussia, could be absolutely huge, and it would cost most people five or six years' worth of income to buy even a tiny house. Schloss Altwitz was surrounded by a forest of those enormous, ancient trees, as if someone had managed to transplant a section of Sherwood Forest or the Schwarzwald itself.

It was impossible to see a thing of the estate from any of the roads around it, owing mostly to the one new feature to the grounds. The eight-foot-high stone wall had recently been constructed around the property, and was topped with a double helix of razor wire. That measure alone would be sufficient to keep most riffraff out -- after all, House Schenk had plenty of mortal enemies right now. There were less intrusive measures in place to make sure anyone who managed to avoid the wire would never reach the expansive mansion itself.

Beyond the wrought-iron fences, the razor-wire walls and the thick forest the grounds opened up onto an impeccably manicured lawn. And beyond the millimetred grass, the ancestral Schenk estate basked in the late winter's day sun. For an ephemeral moment it seemed as if it were summer, and the cold of winter had evaporated altogether. The Silbervogel had come to a halt halfway up the driveway up to the estate, allowing the visitors a grandiose view of the sweeping grounds.

For a few silent moments, the Count simply sat staring at the ancient building, daring not to believe his own eyes. He was only shaken from his reverie when he noticed his wife smiling at him. "Dear... I don't suppose you are crying, are you?"

Count Siegfried Schenk rapidly blinked several times. "Indeed I do not," he said, but his voice was unsteady. He was silent for a few brief moments, until he silently spoke again. "This is where I spent my childhood, dear... I did not think I would see it again." The Count reflected that there was a very real possibility he might have done Germany and the world something of a disservice by returning here. He had a feeling that if he had not come home Germany and Egypt would have far less reason to seek rapproachment. But at that moment, as he laid his eyes upon the mansion that had once been his home and could be again, he didn't care about anything like that. He was simply happy to finally show his wife whence he had come. "My dear..." he motioned at the estate in the near distance. "Welcome home."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Altdorf Times

Wave of prospective female citizens swamp Service recruitment offices
With the start of a new year, and the extension of the franchise to women last fall, the Dominion Service Bureau is positively overwhelmed with women who desire to be citizens. “It’s a bit disconcerting,” said one DSB official who wished to remain anonymous. “It seems that the female creature has a sense of duty higher than we originally anticipated.”

The large numbers are already bringing an ominous cloud over the Whig Party, which voted in a bloc against granting the franchise. In two years time, as the first women citizens come off their service and start voting, it’s likely that the Whigs will be facing major loses to the Christian Democrats. Already some members are calling to remove Lord Wythe from party leadership as a sacrificial goat.

Tiger, Lion to be rebuilt in Manchu yards
The two battlecruisers Tiger and Lion are to be rebuilt in Manchu yards, rathe than a Dominion Yard, the Altdorf-Dusseldorf wire service has learned. The two BCs were built in the Manchu Kingdom, which makes it a logical place for the work as the GDN continues to face severe facilities shortages…

Study for “Very Fast” BC continues, possible parts being ordered?
It seems as if the design study for a large ultra-light BC is more than that, as Drydocks Caesar and Bishop at Wolfram Hart have been reserved for unspecified work. There is speculation that the massive, 1000 ft long vessel will be constructed in two pieces, with the aft quarter added onto the main hull after launch…

American Firm wins contract for shore defense guns
The American firm Bethlehem Steel has been contracted out by the Joint Coastal Defense Board for the fabrication of 12 16”/45 guns for the new shore defense program. The 4+4 1925 Naval program is preventing the availability of Dominion firms from fulfilling all the orders, and so Bethlehem Steel has been contracted to produce Altdorf Arsenal Mark 3 guns.

Already there are some complaints about “licensing our security secrets away”, but a War Ministry official pointed out that the international situation was such that time was of the essence, and that the United States was the most sound overseas political option. As for the guns themselves, said Foreign Minister Berman: “It is no secret that the guns are of a very similar design to the main batteries of the new capital vessels. The Grand Dominion believes in honest leadership and that it has an obligation to allow it’s people to see how major weapons programs are managed. We are not the Germans, who drink, eat, and breathe smoke and mirrors.”
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Gobi Desert, Mongolia-China Border

Orchir waited near the border. He was glad that the Great Khural offered a lot of grants to paleontology research. So many, in fact, that more then a few were set up with a few professors working with Army Intelligence at the NKAI. And now, Orchir, an Army Intelligence Officer, was waiting for the Inner Mongolian men to come meet him. Those members of the Mongolian Unity Front would really appreciate the equivilent of nearly half a tonne of silver in Chinese Yuan and a few dozen machine guns, tonnes of explosives, and some Soviet and Byzantine sniper rifles. Orchir smiled, thinking about how several other MUF units would be getting similar packages.

Yes, things were going to get interesting in China soon.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Gazzetta di Firenze, Mid-January 1927

Commerce Minister to travel to Berlin to sign Canal Contract!

The Secretary of State for Commcerce is set to travel to Berlin to sign the treaty for the construction of the Rhine-Danube canal.

[...]

(apologies for the very brief post, I'll likely put more meat here soon).

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Previously, in Dongjing

"So, you say that you have proof that the Soviets were aided in their war by the Mongols?"

"Yes, my lord. The serial numbers of some of weapons we captured post date the start of hostilities. Additionally, we recieved testimony from some of the PoWs that the Mongols had given away weaponry both before, and during the war. There is additional supporting evidence in our report."

"Very well. I suppose it won't do to reopen trade with the Mongols. We've got plenty of trading partners. They've got to go through us, Zhongguo, or the Soviets to get any trade. The illustrious Emperor still hasn't reopened trade, with this information I'm doubting he ever will. I wonder how much the Soviets are getting in tariffs off the Mongols."
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Portland, Federal District
14 January 1927

"So we're sure of this?"
"Preliminary preparations are made," General Samuels informed the Secretary of War, Mr. Dale. The ruralite ex-Naval officer looked over the paper again as Samuels continued. "IV Corps out of Australia is ready to be sent by train to Darwin and Perth, regiment by regiment, to begin the redeployment to Sumatra. The Navy's already agreed to arrange increased patrols should there be trouble, but we can hope there's no cause for it."
"This will give us 5 divisions in Sumatra. Over eighty thousand troops, including two Guard divisions," Dale mumbled, deep in thought. "There are certain parties who might ponder why we're sending them."
"Sumatra is too important to our nation to be protected by only 2 divisions, sir, and given the interior's terrain along the volcano range we need the troops concentrated in the coastal regions and the Nias Islands. Honestly I'd prefer relocating the 4th Guards to Sumatra as well and finding some reservist unit to garrison New Guinea, but the Army's expansion plans haven't allowed for such yet."

"I must admit some reluctance..."
"They're defensive garrisons, Mister Secretary, and I'm not sure how anyone could construe them otherwise unless we assigned them heavy shipping to permit sea transport and landing boats." Left unsaid was that relevant equipment had, over the past 14 months, been slowly relocated to Darwin so that shipping it to any location in the Indies - Tindore, Palembang, Koror - would be easier.
After several moments pause, SecWar gave another nod. "Very well. Let's hope this doesn't get anyone antsy."

Actions:
IV Corps out of Australia, consisting of the 10th, 11th, and 13th Divisions, and the 3rd Artillery Brigade, are being transferred from current postings in Australia to the island of Sumatra (one division will also be distributed in the Nias islands off Sumatra's southern Indian Ocean coast) due to concerns about the valuable island's defenses considering the possibility of tensions and conflict in the Indian Ocean.

Once the deployment is complete, there will be 5 divisions on Sumatra and its key outlying islands: IV Corps and III Guard Corps (minus one of its divisions, the 4th Guards, who are assigned to New Guinea), with two artillery brigades amongst them.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Ciudad de Mexico
Chapultepec Castle

Notes were not being kept and while there were men present beyond the two all were members of the household guard of His Imperial Majesty Phillip II, Emperor of Mexico and many other such titles beyond. None would speak on the words exchanged and few would ever be so bold as to ask. The other man had spoken much, Felipe Diego y Garcia de Guadalajara had been born to one of the most privileged lives in the country rising to be the third Count of Guadalajara in his name, a peer in the Chamber and currently His Majesty's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs. The subject was Baja and California, an issue that rankled the conservative classes almost as much as the failure to crush Gran Colombia and their upstart communist republic.

"We will speak plainly. The Cascadians have given us every means to have found a solution to the crises, should the government continue to act there will be no support from any quarters and we will be alone against both the Americans and the Cascadians. We will not support any move to continue on a path towards intervention."

"If I may speak plainly as well your Majesty...we must do this and we must do this now. We are weak in the eyes of a world that respects only strength, we are cowards in a world that values only the brave. If we cannot stand forthright and claim that which is rightfully ours then we are but waiting for the final dissolution."

"Very well then..."

Government dismissed, new elections to be held in April

In a decree issued this morning His Majesty declared that the government had lost his confidence and had not shown that it was the unmistakable will of the people. Accordingly he dismissed the government and new elections will be held in some three months time...
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Code: Select all

Diplomatic wire sent to the Following governments:
East Roman Empire, Egyptian Sultanate, Balkan Confederacy, Tuscan Kingdom, German Empire, United States of America, Cascadia, United Kingdom.

ALCON:

As you know the Grand Dominion of the Indies is undergoing a coastal defense improvement program.  Starting in the Second Quarter of 1927 work will commence at Fortress William at the Crusaders Gate.  Two 16/45 guns will be installed in casemates.  In addition a single 16/45 will be installed in a casemate at Aden Harbor.  To allay concerns by your governments, the Lord Protector of the Grand Dominion is inviting your countries to send observers to the site during the improvement process.  Each nation will be permitted to send a legation of up to 4 personnel, consisting either of military personnel, civilians, or a mix.  Please contact the Dominion embassy in your respective nations if you desire to send observers.

Yours in Christ,

Baron Vladimir Berman, Foreign Minister
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Kabul Enquirer, 17th of January, 1927

CHAOS IN KABUL!
Today marked the third week of rioting and protests in the capital as the Emergency Labour Act was overturned by a resounding one-hundred percent majority. The act, which allowed women the right to work and partially lifted the restrictions on modesty, was hailed by the vocal extremist fringe of Afghani women as a major step forward. The announcement of plans to revoke the act was met with widespread anger and rioting throughout the nation.

Minister Al-Ludd, having been personally attacked on the first day of the riots and rescued by the Ministerial Tank Guard, stated the following in a press release:

'The Party denounces these radical feministas and their communistic tendencies, and we will be deploying the military to forcibly disperse them. The police have been overwhelmed by them ONLY because they are unwilling to fire on their wives and children. There is no revolution. There will be no overthrow of the government and no general uprising. This is only the action of a few extremist groups."

When questioned as to the fact that a full third of Afghani women have vocally or even violently announced their support for the Liberation Front, Al-Ludd had no comment and Sub-Minister for Defence Fahad stated that 'Giving them these rights to begin with was a mistake. Every day they commit to this chaos they prove even more conclusively that they do not deserve the liberties we already afforded them before now."

In a related series of events, a division of soldiers freshly returned from the Front were equipped with the new Type 2 General Purpose Machineguns with orders to disperse the protestors and end the riots forcibly. Sub-Minister Fahad had the following to say when questioned on the several hundred deaths.

"This was a triumph. I'm making a note here. Huge success. It's hard to understate my satisfaction. The Afghani military does what it must because it can, for the good of all of us. Except the ones who are dead."
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Belgrade, Balkan Confederacy

"So we will work with the Germans on their project?" Ivo Kosor, the new foreign minister of the Confederacy, asked and leaned back in his chair. "The Canal isn't going to be cheap, and it will take a long time before it is completed." The rest of the men present at the meeting remained silent.

"It is our project now as well. " Shady Sirah smiled. "It is a worthwhile investment, that will be beneficial to us. And besides, the project might even help better our relationship with the German Empire. Recent events haven't exactly made us look good in their eyes..." Sirah paused for a moment and widened his smile, remembering the Kaiser's reaction. "And we must get along with our neighbors, don't we?"

"That we do." Kosor agreed.

"Good. Now let's move on. How much will the reconstruction cost us?" Shady asked, referring to the damage from the brief civil war.

"We are still calculating the exact amount, but our people assure me that we should be able to get the city, and the rest of the country, back the way it was within a year." Kosor said. "The only matter that remains is that of the palace. Do we try to repair it, or just build a new one?"

"We shall crush what remains of it to dust and build a new one, a new Palace, for a new time - and the new future I promised to our people." Shady said.

Oslobodjenje, Dnevne Novine

Naval News
Eight newly build destroyers to be stationed in Tangyanika, to increase the naval security in the colony...[More]

Result:

-The Balkan Confederacy will work with Germany on the Canal Project
-The Reconstruction of Belgrade and other damage from the brief war has begun, the cost of which will be paid starting in Q1, 1927
-newly built destroyers(1926 production) to be stationed in the colony
Last edited by DarthShady on 2010-03-19 03:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Le Monde

Vicious Funding Fight Threatens Simonist Party Unity: In an unprecedented show of factionalism, yesterday's meeting of the National Assembly descended almost into violence over questions of next year's budget. The arguments, largely between the Army, Navy, and Air Army advocates on the War Committee, were markedly more heateed than past such arguments have been; Representative Loupe of the Simonist Party is reported to have called Representative Du Chatelet, also Simonist Party, a "snivelling coward too terrified of losing votes to support the brave men and women of France's armed forces." The point in contention was whether or not to continue the funding of reservist cavalry divisions, which studies show may well be useless in a full-scale war.

After hours of recriminations and insults, the general shape of the budget was revealed to this reporter: Army funding will experience a sharp cutback, with mechanization still proceeding, albeit at a slower pace, while Navy yards will focus on the production of more battleships and cruisers. Air Army operations are expected to continue largely as before, though more money will be given to research and developement. At the same time, a large but indefinite sum will be set aside to participate in the German Canal Project. (See page 6 for details)
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Berliner Zeitung
February 1 1927

Canal project treaty signed
Representatives from the Byzantine Empire, the Balkan Confederacy, the Kingdom of Tuscany and the French Republic met together with Reichskanzler Dr. Sänger to sign the proposed Kanal treaty. The treaty regulates the financing as well as the multi-national efforts to produce a single shipping route from the Black Sea to the Atlantic, as well as a route between Germany and the Mediterranean via the French Channel network.

Admiral Souchon, Oberst Bauer to attend construction of Dominion Naval guns
Admiral Wilhelm Souchon, Commander of the Indian Ocean fleet and Oberst Max Hermann Bauer, Commander of the 3rd Heavy Artillery Brigade, will take up the Dominion offer and visit the construction of the new Dominion Naval guns in the Gulf of Aden. Two officers of the Gardepioniere will be tasked with further observing the construction.

Reichsverfassungsgerricht tries first lawsuit
The first case under the new constitution has been tried. Finding for the plaintiffs, the Court ruled that the Army compensation for horses confiscated during wartime was inadequate and would have to be increased in order to meet market prices.

Germany purchases aircraft
A deal has been struck between the German Luftstreitkräfte and the Balkan Confederacy. Under the terms of the treaty, the German Luftstreitkräfte will purchase 200 Fokker D. XIV and 200 Gloster Grebe fighters. The former are expected to join the frontline squadrons, while the Gloster Grebe will most likely serve in a home defence or training role. Delivery is to take place at the end of February.

Naval air arm to increase
Contracts have been signed for an additional 180 torpedo bombers and 72 Dornier Do-H fighters.

German Navy "not worried" about new rumors about Dominion battlecruiser
The German Navy released a statement today saying that the Dominion new battlecruiser is no threat to German commerce due to its thin armor. While the general scope of the Dominion shipbuilding was "worrying", the German Navy said that so far, there was no reason to start a military buildup in the region.

Battleships to be sold?
The German Navy today ordered the two Rheinland class battleships Westfalen and Posen to Pola, withdrawing them from Indian Ocean convoy duty. Rumours are that they will be sold to a yet unidentified nation.

Berbera
SMS Markgraf
Flagship of the German Indian Ocean fleet

Eureka, Admiral Sauchon thought triumphantly. The solution for most of his troubles (including the withdrawal of yet two more BBs) was so very easy. "Inform the Captains."
To: Dominion and Shepistani Naval attache, Spanish, German, Tuscan merchant captain, ships of the combined Indian Ocean fleet.

Messieurs.
From now on, in order to maximize the efficiency of the convoy protection system, shipping to both the Dominion and Shepistan will be consolidated into one combined convoy per month. This convoy will first head towards Dominion waters and then disperse ships headed for those ports, then enter Shepistani waters and disperse ships headed to those ports. Escort ships will then take charge of ships gathered at the return point and, returning to Berbera via Dominion territorial waters, escort returning ships from the Dominion and Shepistan. This process will take 2 months, which means another monthly convoy will be started at the second month from Berbera.

Signed,
Souchon
Commanding Admiral
Thus, escorts will only be needed to be provided for two convoys each month instead of four. Which meant that with the 12 multinational capital ships left under his command, he now felt pretty secure in his position.

Results:
- Canal treaty project moves forward. Every partner nation, please add 9 points per quarter to your build queue starting in Q2 1927.
- Germany purchases more aircraft
- Reply to the Dominion offer to send advisors
- new convoy scheme
------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Paris

The sixth lap of the trip to Europe the Count and his wife had undertaken took them to France, the birthplace of Daphne de Sainte-Claire. This far south the winter was much milder than it had been in Schenk's native Ostpreußen, and although it wasn't the stifling heat they had grown accustomed to the absence of cold was noticeable enough to be comfortable.

They had arrived by way of Holland, where the Count had sought additional investment opportunities, much like he had been doing the previous day, to the factories of La Défense on the westernmost edge of the French capital. Right now however they were simply enjoying themselves in one of the city's many small cafe's -- something Schenk thought he deserved after meeting Kaiser Wilhelm II on the New Year's reception in Berlin, and his son Eitel Friedrich a few short days later in Amsterdam.

To be fair meeting the crown prince had been far less awkward than meeting the Kaiser had been: Siegfried and Wilhelm had exchanged only a few polite words and there had been obvious tension between the Count and the more conservative elements of the German aristocracy. Even so, the Emperor had at least acknowledged Schenk's existence, which was more than the Count had initially hoped for. And the meeting with Eitel Friedrich had been productive, the crown prince had given the Count a few pointers to what could possibly be modestly profitable business ventures in the Dutch and Belgian territories.

But that was all behind them. Right now, Siegfried was more than content to watch his wife regale some of her old friends with dramatic tales of Egypt. Laughter ricocheted through the main salon of the Café Atlantique after one of Daphne's friends made a joke about Egyptian fashion and how the concept was an oxymoron -- they spoke too fast for the Count to follow entirely, he was conversant in French but only barely. Even so he was more than content to simply watch his wife eat, drink, talk and be happy. He hadn't seen her this lively in a long while, and he was amazed how cheerful it made him feel to simply see her happy.

The Count knew that in only a few short days they would depart for Marseille and Egypt, and he was vaguely aware of some sort of tension building at the Sultan's court, but right now he didn't care about any of that. He simply wanted to sip his iced water, enjoy the City of Light, and enjoy his wife's merriment.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Williamsburg Whig

Work commences on "large vessel" at Wolfram & Hart shipyards
The Williamsburg Whig has confirmed that work has commenced on a large vessel at Wolfram Hart Shipyard. Analysts from Cobb's Fighting Ships believe that the work is on a giant vessel, split with the aft quarter being built in a smaller slip....

New 8" cruiser design unveiled
The Grand Dominion Navy has unveiled a new 8" cruiser design of 10 guns, 2 quad turrets and one 2 turret. The Vessel will displace 12,500 tons and there are plans to order 3 of them...

Admiralty sketches "Future Navy"
The new Mercury Battlecruisers will most likely find themselves acting as heavy escorts for fast carriers rather than as screens for the battleline, Grand Admiral Saldana said at a Seapower Committee meeting in the House yesterday. The older Tyrol "Fast Battleships" would operate as the fast wing/screen for the battleline.

Lord Protector re-affirms friendship with Manchuria as "bedrock against the Reds"
The first foreign customer for the M1926 105mm SPG will be the Manchu Kingdom, and in fact the Manchu army will be recieving the weapons system before much of the GDA will. "We cannot emphasize enough how important the security of the Manchu Kingdom is to the Grand Dominion." said Lord Fairfax. The Manchu-Soviet war was a boon for the Dominion amrs industry, as well as kick starting several programs and technologies that had been atrophied.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Constantinople Times

Ministry of Defence outlines new Naval Plan

The Ministry of Defence has outlined the 10 year Naval Plan. Within this plan, the Navy has determined that
  • All ships built before 1918 will be scrapped or relegated to traininng ships, or transferred to interested parties over the next 10 years. Allies of Byzantium will get priority. This will be done over the next 10 years.
  • A strong and firm modern battleline of 16 battleships will be maintained. 4-8 Fast battleships will be constructed within the next few years as well to serve as fast escort for convoys.
  • Further investment in carriers and exploitation of aircraft technology. The new Sparta carrier-conversions will form the basis for further experimentation, with the intent to build a new 25,000tonne carrier by the early 1930s.
  • Further expansion of escort fleets. More cruisers and destroyers will be constructed over the next few years.
The MoD believes the plan is fairly attainable, and a new class of four Heraclius class Battleships with a rumoured battery of 12 18"/45 guns will laid down over the next 4 years and will further cement the Imperial Navy's status as a first class navy with modern equipment and modern weaponry.

Ministry of Defence outlines need for a standing army of 20 Legions

The MoD has outlined the need for a standing army of 20 Legions. "The current strength of 12 Legions is insufficient. This year, 3 reserve Legions will be converted to full time standing Legions as a step towards ensuring the safety and security of the Empire," says Exarch John Doukas. Army Aviation is expected to be expanded as well, with hundreds of aircraft being purchased from the Sultanate while local aviation industry is being upgraded.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia