SDN World 3 Story Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Re: SDN World 3 Story Thread I

Post by Lascaris »

Thanas wrote: It is our desire to strengthen the friendship between the British and the German peoples, especially considering our Navy owes much to yours in institutional experience. Grand Admiral Tirpitz just yesterday told me about the time he spent as a young cadet in England and it is my hope that the spirit of that time is still existing.

I myself would also be willing to address both His Majesty the King and the chambers of Parliament, if your government so wishes.

Signed,
Sänger, Reichskanzler
Herr Reichskanzler,

In response to your message, as received through the British embassy and in the spirit of improving bilateral relations His Majesty's government extends an invitation to His Imperial majesty Kaizer Wilchelm II as well as you to conduct a state visit to Britain at a time to be mutually agreed.

Signed

David Lloyd George, Prime Minister
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
loomer wrote:There had been no time to gather a proper entourage - but that didn't matter, as Ambassador Al-Hawari strode down the hall in Constantinople. He'd been putting off this visit for months, and now he didn't even have a chance to admire the architecture of the ancient city. There simply wasn't time. Trailing him was an aide with a case of documents, stopping next to the door as he stepped into the meeting room and took his seat.

"Good morning, most-esteemed Ambassador. Let us begin our discussions, while there is still time for it to make a difference." He said, hands folded together on the table. Oh, such matters there were...
Exarch Ignatius Korolev smiled. "Mr Ambassador, a pleasure to meet you. Please, have some tea." Some tea and coffee was served as appropriate.

"Now Mr Ambassador, we have been monitoring the situation quite closely. While we understand that you want our military aid, we are however weary of expanding the war from where it stands. We are however prepared to offer covert aid in terms of war materiel, and other weapons of war. Should however, Shepistani forces do invade Afghanistan proper, then perhaps we would commit some form of military force. But for now, that is all I can offer."
"Oh, the unwillingness to partake in an offensive war, it is entirely understandable. It would open a whole new realm of troubles - but the war materiels, those alone could make a vast difference to our plans to end this struggle decisively and quickly."

The Ambassador took a moment's pause, sipping at his tea.

"And, of course, we do not wish to pressure you, but do not forget that much wealth flows from regions of Afghanistan under threat, directly into Byzantine coffers. The Shepistanis would not willingly let that flow continue - perhaps just some mild political pressure from your great empire might convince them that leaving the Northern provinces untouched might be sufficient?"
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lascaris wrote: Herr Reichskanzler,

In response to your message, as received through the British embassy and in the spirit of improving bilateral relations His Majesty's government extends an invitation to His Imperial majesty Kaizer Wilchelm II as well as you to conduct a state visit to Britain at a time to be mutually agreed.

Signed

David Lloyd George, Prime Minister
From the German Empire to the British Empire

Your Excellency,

His Imperial Majesty and Reichskanzler Sänger would be available for such a visit in October 1926, if such a time is agreeable to your Government as well.

Signed,
WIR
Sänger, Reichskanzler
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Neue Zürcher Zeitung
The Bundespräsident and Bundesrat responsible for Defense and Industry, Hansueli Raguth, announced a massive modernisation program for the Schweizer Bundeswehr which did not surprise industry insiders and policy analysts. The magnitude of of program caused some concern among analysts and politicans of the Opposition and the Bundespräsident's own party, that the domestic defense industry did not have enough production capacity to keep with demand. A spokesman for the industry's association said that the companies involved in the contracts have known for sometime that this large scale modernisation would take place and had prepared accordingly. In addition to the modernisation, the size of the Schweizer Bundeswehr would be increased to three hundred thousand volunteer professional soldiers and over one million conscripted reservists. The 384 fighter planes of the air arm will be at full effectiveness within 9 months, and at least 144 bomber aircraft will be acquired. The ground forces, on the other hand, will require more time until they reach full effectiveness, namely between twelve and twenty-four months after delivery of the weapons.
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

From the German Empire to the British Empire

Your Excellency,

His Imperial Majesty and Reichskanzler Sänger would be available for such a visit in October 1926, if such a time is agreeable to your Government as well.

Signed,
WIR
Sänger, Reichskanzler
"Send back an appropriately worded acceptance" Lloyd George directed his private secretary.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Unreal time:
Berliner Zeitung
April 25th, 1926

Bismarck class ships commissioned
The six Bismarck class ships have entered service with the Navy after completing all trials to the full satisfaction of the Navy. They are armed with 10 18" guns, achieve a top speed of 22 knots and have a heavily armored deck and belt (8" and 16" respectively). The German Navy called these ships a shining example of German engineering, stating that each ship can withstand multiple 18" hits.

The ships commissioned were the SMS Bismarck, SMS Stein, SMS Hardenberg, SMS Metternich, SMS Kaunitz and SMS Mazarin. The first five were dedicated to the honour of prominent Prussian and Austrian chancellors, while the last one was dedicated to the great French Statesman Mazarin. Rumour has it that the Navy originally planned to name it Richelieu, but eventually settled on Mazarin as the French Navy already has a Richelieu in service. It was feared that it would otherwise cause too much confusion on joint maneuvers.

His Imperial Majesty, Kaiser Wilhelm II., spoke at the commissioning ceremony and said that "my mighty chancellors shall strike terror and fear into the hearts of all enemies of Germany." (more)

Österreich class dreadnoughts begin refit
SMS Österreich and SMS Ungarn have started their refit. The two ships, built by Germaniawerft, Kiel and Blohm&Voss, Hamburg, will start their first major refit after four years of service. They will have their engine checked, their bottoms scrubbed and receive some upgrades. There are no plans to change the armor layout or any other major system in the ships besides the turrets.

Editorial: Is the German Navy a papertiger?
Today, the German Navy announced that it has to replace the turrets on two of its youngest battleships. When questioned about this reason, the Navy department only said that according to recent tests, the 420mm cannons used by the class will need replacing with newer guns of the same caliber. This is a major blow to the Navy, for the same cannons are also in use in the Einheit and L20alpha classes, though currently there are no plans to refit those.

In any case, having to replace the relatively new guns so soon is a major financial desaster for the Navy. If the guns of the Einheit and L20alpha classes shared the same weakness, this would mean they too would have to be refitted, thereby leaving the German Navy without 10 of its battleships. It is therefore fortunate that the Navy waited with this announcement until the new Bismarck class battleships are finished. Unless of course, the Navy would care to announce that they too need a refit?
Note: The following cowritten with Master_Baerne
Berliner Zeitung
April 27th, 1926

Franco-German coastal shipping initiative announced
In what is seen as a major boost to coastal and river shipping, the French Republic and the German Empire announced today that it would sponsor the construction of several rivergoing ships. Substantial sums are to be set aside for that, the project is supposed to be completed in 1927 or 1928. The state would pay for the construction of ships and then sell them to companies after the construction program has run its course.

This move is supposed to both give French and German companies an edge as well as increase river shipping. There are also talks about new canals being planned to be dug out. In Germany, this move is supposed to bolster many small shipyards situated on major rivers, which have complained in the past of the subsidies given to major shipyards for the construction of new slipways. Now, many of those will have guaranteed business for the next year.
Berliner Zeitung
May 2nd, 1926

Germany and France reach airforce agreement
In addition to joint maneuvers by the Navy and army, the airforces of both states will from now on embark on joint training and exchange programs. (more)

Discarded guns find new use
The turrets and guns taken from the Österreich class battleships will find a new life in coastal fortifications at the French coast. The recent British bellicosity has forced the French-German-Spanish alliance to reconsider the vulnerability of their coast. Therefore, four new forts would be constructed - one near Cherbourg, one near Calais, one near Boulogne and one in northwest brittany. As this will also protect German interests, Germany has agreed to donate the 20 16.5" guns removed from the Österreich class ships and supply both ammunition and crews trained on them. France will supply the rest of the materials needed for construction.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Thanas started it, I added to it, he responded, I responded... and the result is a big freaking post. 8)

Hamburg, 7th July 926

The third-largest passenger ship in the world, dwarfed only by her bigger companions SS Vaterland and SS Bismarck, the 52,117 tons SS Imperator was a splendid sight as she slowly approached the pier, the golden eagle adorning her bow looking as majestic and predatory as ever. She had completed one of her usual New York - Hamburg runs which made the HAPAG trio the Queens of the Atlantic.

Looking at the ship, Sänger could not help but feel a bit of patriotic envy. His own hometown of Bremen, home of the ships of the second German passenger company, the Norddeutscher Lloyd, had not manage to built a ship that was able to match the HAPAG trio yet - a fact his good friend Burchardt, hailing from Hamburg, did not fail to remind him of whenever possible. The two passenger companies were just the long line of the century-long competition between the two hanseatic cities of Bremen and Hamburg.

But as the massive ship was finally moored at the pier, Sänger's thoughts were not dominated by the rivalry anymore. For as the Gardekorps band played the Cascadian anthem, his old friend Stephen was debarking. When the Cascadian president, his family in tow, had stepped on German soil for the first time since 1914, Sänger extended his hand as the two companies of the 1st. Garderegiment came to attention. "On behalf of his Imperial Majesty, Wilhelm II., and the German Empire, welcome." He then added "It is good to see you, my friend."

"It's good to see you're doing well, Johannes. We're all very happy for you." Stephen gestured back to his family and small delegation to make his introductions. Johannes knew Rachel and her father of course, and he had met Rafael and Thomas when they were younger and he had been in Cascadia for the Accords renewal, but Sophie was a different story. Stephen brought her up and settled his left hand on his daughter's head as she hid between him and Rachel, quite sheepish given the size of the German delegation.

Sänger smiled, kissed Rachels hand and shook the hands of Rafael and Thomas. "My, how tall you have grown." Seeing Sophie's hesitation, he knelt and when he was roughly at her eye level, he extended his hand to her. "And you must be the brave Sophie."

The girl looked at her father and after Stephen had given her an encouraging smile, she extended her hand and said in somewhat accentuated German "Ja, ich bin Sophie."
"Very good, Sophie," Rachel said to her daughter in a proud tone.
"The children will astound language instructors when they go into classes, I'm sure," Stephen remarked to Sänger. "Rachel has them asking for the salt in Spanish and asking to be dismissed from the table in German."
"What about French?", Johannes asked.
"Homework and play," Rachel replied.

The other introductions were light. Rafael Galverdas was already known to assembled German dignitaries, having served as Ambassador to Germany from 1908 to 1915. Stephen's chief of staff Reginald Etps had traveled with him with a small staff to help the President with the finer points of the state visit, deputy chief of staff Lionel Sampson left to oversee the operations of the President's staff back in Cascadia. Every individual was formally introduced for the benefit of formalities. "My thanks to His Imperial Majesty for this great welcome given to myself and my family," Stephen said at the end, switching to the formality of State. "The generous greetings of the German Empire will be remembered."

After the official business had been concluded, the Cascadian and the German delegation boarded the Imperial train, which would take them to Berlin.
Sitting in the luxurious salon car, the Garretts and Sänger had, for the first time since the renegotiation of the Cascadian-german accord, the opportunity to talk to each other in private and relative calm, for the train ride would take over seven hours.

As the train left the station, Sänger's thoughts were focused on the days ahead. Tomorrow there would be official state business, including a state dinner with the Kaiser. The next day there would be the public reception part of the wedding, followed by a train ride and the wedding the next day. "I am afraid we shall not have much time to spent together, Stephen."

"I know. Duty demands its fair share of time," Stephen answered. The schedule for his state visit was cramped, primarily involving travel and state banquets and welcoming. Berlin, Florence, Madrid, Paris, and London in the space of less than two weeks, after which another two weeks before he returned home via liner and railroad. There would be little time for relaxation, a far cry from the return to Europe he'd envisaged for coming after he was out of office.

"I trust your trip was enjoyable?"

Switching to German, Stephen answered, "Yes, it was. Imperator is a beautiful ship and the trip was pleasant. You should consider a trip on her some time. If you can reconcile it with your home city's pride, that is." That brought some short laughter, after which Stephen said, "We want to thank you, Johannes. The doctors you brought in to help with Sophie made the difference. I don't think I could have taken it had I lost her."

Sänger nodded, his mood turning somewhat somber. "It was the least I could do. I would not have forgiven myself either if something had happened due to my war." Forestalling any protests that would have doubtlessly included that the Kaiser was the one to blame, Sänger added: "I am the Chancellor. I am responsible for everything that happens in this Empire."

Switching back to English, he continued. "But how is the brave little girl?" He nodded at Sophie, who was currently admiring a golden eagle adorning the end of the salon, its head crowned with ruby's and sapphires. "And how is the rest of your family?"

"The doctors have given Sophie a clean bill of health, they said getting the bullet out ensured everything healed. Everyone else is fine," Stephen answered. "Dolores, Rachel's mother, is well enough all things considered, and the doctors are confident she's going to stay that way, but they didn't want to risk her constitution on this trip given how fast it'll be going. Otherwise she'd be here too." He went on to confirm the status of the rest of the family. His brother Warren had taken charge of the fledgling automative repair business that grew out of the old repair shop their grandfather had set up decades ago in Astoria, Warren's son Richard - his nephew - had entered Astoria Naval Academy this year to follow his uncle's career. Father was as fine as could be expected, though not to where he could make the trip to Europe. A handful of other family members Sänger had met while in Cascadia six years before were remarked upon, a couple births on Rachel's side reported, but nothing else of major interest.

"And what of your family?" Stephen asked and this time it was Sänger's turn to answer, which he did. The chancellor went on to describe in some detail that his parents were well and that his brother had barely made it to port in time to attend the wedding. "Over the last few hours, the stokers of his ship worked overtime. It cost him a couple cases of Beck's, but eventually he made it into Antwerp in time." Some laughter was caused by this. "As for my sister Anne, she is doing well. Her horse breeding has produced another derby winner. I fear her wealth will always eclipse that of her brothers."

The conversation then turned to other topics and eventually drifted off together, everyone being exhausted or lost in thoughts. After a while the the Cascadian president noticed Sänger twirling his fingers inside his suit pocket, a faraway look on his face. He could guess what was on the mind of his friend. "Nervous?" Looking a bit sheepishly, the Kanzler withdrew his hands and forced them to rest on his knees. "Of course. To be honest, I do not know how Natasha manages it - not only does she have to contend with her relatives, no, mine have arrived as well and are also pestering her while I go around gallivanting on state business."

Smiling, Rachel Garrett interjected. "And when are we going to meet your jewel, Johannes?" "This evening, if you will do me the honour of having dinner with her and our families. I'd also like to pawn you off on her on the 8th while Stephen and I go about our state business - the wedding planning is all done and over with and I'd rather have you accompany her on the last day before the wedding than her brothers." From the looks on the faces of his friends, Sänger gathered that this particular tale had not made the rounds yet. "After all, her oldest brother already stuck a gun in my face when I first met Natasha."

Noticing that his hands had once more wandered inside his suit pocket, he gave up and took out the medaillon Natasha had given him. "Here. That is her."

Before either Stephen or Rachel could react, a response came from another quarter. Sophie had wandered over, leaving the attention of her doting grandfather for the moment, and noticed the image on the medallion. "She's pretty," the little girl remarked, bringing grins to her parents.
"She's wonderful, Johannes," Stephen said, sitting Sophie into his lap.
Rachel gave a nod in agreement. "I look forward to meeting her."

Berlin, Hotel Adlon

And meet her they did, for said person was waiting for them in Berlin with her father and brothers outside the train station. The men, being their custom, first shook hands before Natasha approached them and did a short curtsy before extending her hand to Stephen.

Natasha's youth was obvious from her picture, but it was another thing to see it in person. She was young and pretty in a striking fashion, also showing the politeness one expected of European high society. Stephen gave her a reassuring grin as they shook hands. "So this is the jewel that has taken Johannes' heart," he stated in German, switching to English for, "You look splendid."

Rachel, not to be outdone, introduced herself to Natasha in Russian, a language she had studied while living with her father but which was somewhat rusty now (though not so much that she couldn't manage a proper greeting). She was struck by how young the girl was; she had also married an older man, true, but Stephen had at least been in his thirties at their marriage, and she in her early twenties. The age gap between Natasha and Johannes was more pronounced. "I am happy for both of you," she said, sticking to Russian for the moment but pressing the usage closer to the end of her capabilities with it, diminished by time.

three hours later
Dinner had been a very nice affair. Natasha had handled the arrangements graciously and with her usual style, while the world-famous Kalbssteak Adlon and Seezungenfilet Adlon had provided delicious nourishment. After dinner, the children had gone to bed, while the adults had gathered in the salon of the Imperial suite of Hotel Adlon, where the Garretts had been lodged.

Sänger's father and the count had earlier discovered their mutual love for chess and had quietly retreated to a corner, the sound of pieces moving only interrupted by their conversation, which from what the others could hear mostly consisted of old sea stories on Sänger's fathers parts and of hunting stories from the count. Sänger's mother and the dowager duchess were quietly talking in another corner. That the two got along so easily had been a surprise to Sänger, but maybe the two had been more alike than Sänger cared to admit or even to contemplate.

Natasha and Rachel were quietly talking with each other and from the looks and glances both Stephen and Sänger received they were mostly talking about them. "The fun thing about being the wife of a statesman is the people you meet and the places you get invited to," Rachel was saying. "Especially with hobbies like mine. There are doctors and professors out there that wouldn't give me the time of day, much less talk to me about their fields, if I weren't the wife of the President.

Natasha smiled, remembering the last few weeks when she had been beset by the press. And the time before the engagement was known, when most people had regarded her as being of little importance or something to be traded in exchange for a political alliance. "And what are your 'hobbies'?", Natasha asked.

"I am a linguist by trade," Rachel explained. "And I've read up enough on metallurgy to blend into university course graduates. I enjoy both immensely. And following my passion for linguistics, at Stephen's encouragement I must add, is what brought us together in the first place. Trekking through New Guinea would have been horrible without him coming along." Smiling from memory, she continued, "And what about you, Natasha? What interests you?"

The bluntness of the Cascadian woman - the daughter and eldest child of a landowning Californian who encouraged her to have that assertive streak - was refreshing and a bit intimidating for someone who was brought up in a strictly traditional household, but Natasha felt she could trust Rachel. "I have to confess that everything catches my fancy. But I particularly enjoy music, riding, reading...and dancing."

Rachel sighed. "Good luck getting Johannes to dance." Natasha smiled sadly, remembering Vienna. Not because she was envious of the girl lying buried in the Zentralfriedhof or because she doubted her betrothed's devotion to her, but because she knew the sad story behind the refusal of Sänger to dance. Rachel was not privy to all the details, but she was an observant woman and through friends made in Europe knew that Sänger had lost a prior love in the Vienna Massacre; those two facts made it an easy calculus.

Seeking to turn away from painful memories, Natasha went on. "And I am probably the only woman in Germany who likes to hunt."

This statement, especially coming from someone who did not look like an amazon, caused the Cascadian woman to look at her in interest. Natasha quickly added "Oh, I do not like killing and take no part in that act. But I like the quick rides, the wind playing with my hair and the beautiful hunting grounds...do you have anything like that in Cascadia?"

"Oh, yes. In the Rockies and in Klamath, the Cascades as well. Stephen's gone hunting a few times, hunts with other Congressmen before he became President, but he and I prefer boating on the Columbia. But if you do ever visit Cascadia and wish to ride I know many places you might enjoy."

Eventually, Natsha asked: "How do you like being the wife of a president?" "You just have to deal with some of the attention as well. Opposition politicians see in you a potential opening to attack your husband. I can't tell you how many Tories I've had to deal with, trying to find some material to use against Stephen."

Natasha nodded. "Yes, some conservatives tried to use me against Johannes as well. But I like to think that with me being just the wife of a chancellor instead of a president, people will lose interest." Rachel didn't want to seem too blunt to that naive remark, so she smiled and said, "If all else fails, just point out you hunt. I imagine they will be so shocked by the admission that you can slip away."

Stephen, Sänger and the two brothers meanwhile were sitting around a large table, playing cards. Soon, the topic turned to the war in Manchuria. "The Soviet attack on Manchuria was a rash act. Without China staying out or Mongolia's support it never had a chance to accomplish anything of note for the Russians," Stephen commented. "I have to admit to some schadenfreude at the contradictory impulses the conflict brought up in my Tory colleagues. Their fierce anti-Communism clashing with that desire to reclaim Celebes and humiliate Manchuria. I think I saw smoke coming out of Senator Littleton's ears at one point."
That brought laughter from the assembled. "And what do you think of Russia as it is now? This whole issue with those who supported war with Manchuria accusing the rest of the government of treachery?"
"Sympathy mostly, though given the bloodshed they've seen trying to stamp out dissent I can't say it's much."

Sensing the opportunity, Natasha's brothers jumped in. "We fought in Manchuria and helped drive the Communists back." After telling war stories for over ten minutes, a toast was raised to the Tsar by the Russians in which Sänger and Stephen joint in, albeit somewhat less enthusiastically.

Not to be outdone, Stephen remarked on his own experiences. Briefly covering the most dangerous moments he had at sea, he spoke for several minutes about the year he and Rachel spent in New Guinea, including two close calls with Italian colonial patrols in which he, Rachel, and their native guides had been shot at. "Given that the Piedmontese were convinced we were preparing to invade their Pacific holdings in support of Germany I can see why they found the prospect of a Cascadian Navy Commander prowling around the bush unappealing," he remarked. "I'm just grateful they were such lousy shots."
"Why were you in the Italian half of New Guinea?", one of Natasha's brothers asked. "I thought there were only savage headhunters in the area."
"Oh, we had a very good reason," Stephen answered. "We got lost."

Other issues came up; interests in China, the unsettling quiet from Japan and the Southeast Asian Union, and the Indian Ocean of course. A couple of the issues showed some of the differences of interest and opinion between Cascadia and Germany, but the President and the Reichskanzler were more than capable of keeping things low-key on these issues.

Eventually, all parties decided that the evening had gone on too long, so they split up and went their respective ways.

Berlin, Stadtschloss

Stephen and Sänger had attended to matters of state. Some minor accounts had to be settled between the German Empire and Cascadia, some accords had to be renewed - all in all, it had not been a very stressing day, although it had been somewhat dreary due to all the paperwork. Rachel, the kids and Natasha had had a more relaxed day, visiting the sights of Berlin. Stephen and Sänger had joined them after lunch, having just enough time left to visit the great museums of Berlin, with Sänger having a lot of fun leading the group through the history departments, showing them the great artifacts German archeologists had gathered from around the world, though he feared that at least some of the children had found it quite taxing. Rafael was at least interested, but Thomas' displeasure was obvious and Sophie was, as one expected for a child her age, mostly riveted by colorful items.

When this was over, they returned to their hotel and were met by the Doctors Rehn, Bier, and Sauerbruch, the men who had helped save Sophie's life via inter-continental telephone. Stephen and Rachel gave them their profound thanks; for her part, Sophie's bright mood and appearance as a healthy, happy child delighted and dazzled the doctors, who expressed their joy at her recovery. To culminate the meeting, Stephen presented each with the Congressional Gold Medal, awarded to them by Cascadia's Congress, which went with the Presidential Legion of Merit (Civilian) that had already been granted to them by his order the prior year.

And eventually, without the children, the adults had gathered together (sans Natasha, who had not been invited as she was not married to the Kanzler yet) with all important German officials for an Imperial state dinner at the Stadtschloss.

Imperial state dinners were lavish and luxurious affairs. With over a thousand people in attendance, the long dining tables stretched through the vast halls. As usual, the Emperor was a host determined to make an impression. The Gardekorps had donned their old Gala uniforms and provided a splendid sight, reminiscent of the days of Frederick the Great.
No fewer than 18 courses were served, which made the dinner an ordeal for some. The Emperor, who ate with his special set of dinnerware that allowed him to eat independently without using his deformed left hand, did not seem to care, though Sänger noticed that he seemed somewhat more tired than usual. President Garrett and his wife had received the place of honour to the right of the Emperor, sitting next to the retired Großadmiral von Tirpitz and his successors, Großadmiral Scheer and Großadmiral von Hipper. Sänger meanwhile sat to the left of the emperor, which prevented any private conversation between him and Stephen, but signalled unity between Wilhelm and him.

Dinner was its own challenge for Stephen, and not simply from the quantity involved. Though his left hand was perfectly fine, his left shoulder was nearly immobile due to the assassin's bullet. Rachel had to help him prop his arm against the table sufficiently to be of use.

The great German admirals beside them proved the best conversation makers. Looking at them reminded him of his own ambitions before he met Rachel, though there was nothing bitter about the end of those ambitions; he had once desired to be an Admiral, but now he not only had the family that his old ambitions had been abandoned for, he had also attained an office of far greater scope than an admiral's desk. So it was that he could speak on equal footing with three high admirals, including the founder of the modern German Navy. "The situation in the Indian Ocean cannot remain in this way forever," he remarked as the conversation turned toward naval commitments. "The Grand Dominion and Shepistan protest other powers' presence but do nothing to make our presence unnecessary."

"The costs of the position are getting too high," Scheer complained bitterly. However it was Tirpitz, the grey eminence of the German Navy, who voiced the consensus. "But we must stay the course. The German Empire's prestige requires it to stand up to the brutish behavior of the Subcontinent." "We are in full agreement, Admiral," Stephen answered. "Which brings us to the further blessing of our restoration to Darwin. We now have a forward fleet base for operations in the East Indies." That was when the Kaiser spoke. "The best way to deal with these brutes is a show of force. Your Excellency, you should send your fleet to Darwin. Every vessel of it. And we shall send the High Seas Fleet to Berbera. With the union of our great fleets in the Indian Ocean we can drive the wretches back to their ports!"

There was a slight hint of discomfort from the admirals and Sänger that Stephen thought he saw. Diplomatically, he gave a nod to the Kaiser. "Your Majesty's proposal is a straightforward one and appealing, though I would need to confer with my own admirals on the issue." "And what of your naval programmes, Your Excellency?", Scheer asked. "Is it true that the Cascadian Navy will build another set of ships armed only with 16" guns?"

"You mean Imperator? It's being considered to ensure uniformity of gun size in our battle squadrons and to avoid exhausting the naval budget for the coming three years," Stephen confirmed. "But the decision is not yet final. I admit I consider it rather silly and believe the Imperator and Tribune should be mounted with 18" guns, even if it means fewer guns. But that is a matter I must take up with the Admiralty, and we navy men can be quite a stubborn lot." There was laughter at that remark from those who heard it, and the story would eventually make its way down the table.

In the middle of the tenth course, the Kaiser stood, thereby signalling that he wanted to speak. Obligingly, everyone fell silent. Using his nearly accent-free English, the Kaiser turned and addressed President Garrett. "Your excellency. In commemoration of your visit and the recent common victory our forces achieved in the war against the dutch, I hereby award you the honorary rank of Admiral in the German Navy and further award you the Order of the Black Eagle."

Upon a hand signal by the Kaiser, a servant stepped forward, carrying the relevant insigna. As customary, the President was also awarded the Grand Cross of the order of the Red Eagle.
Brest star of the Order of the Black Eagle.
Grand Cross of the Order of the Red Eagle.

After the President was asked to stand, Wilhelm stepped forward and decorated the President. "You have shown yourself to be a loyal friend to Germany and deserve to be rewarded, with the hopes that the future relationship between our countries will be as cordial as the past was." Wilhelm then backed away, allowing the guest to reply as was customary.

Sänger smiled to himself. The President of the Cascadian Empire therefore was the only non-German who had been decorated with each of the three major orders of the German Empire - for he had already received the Order of the Crown, 2nd class, when he had been the Cascadian negotiator to the treaty settling the territorial disputes between the two nations.

Stephen accepted the reward with a dignified expression. He hid the smile that came as the thought I made Admiral after all came to him. When Wilhelm was finished Stephen turned to speak, directly at the Kaiser and also at the table. "Your Majesty's honors are gracious and humble me," he stated to the assembled, trying to keep his German as accent-free as possible. "I say I am humbled because I am aware of the vast responsibilities they demand, the responsibilities of maintaining the ties that unite our great nations despite the distance of oceans and continents. The future of our world and the fragile peace it retains relies very much on the continued bond between Germany and Cascadia. Our nations, united, ensure peace and security in the Pacific. That unity of purpose is a charge that none may take lightly."
Stephen reached down with his right arm and picked up a glass. The attending noted quickly his intent and took their own; thanks to the excellent attention paid by the servants, none had an empty glass. "I propose a toast tonight, a toast to the bond between Cascadia and Germany." He brought the glass up. "Der Deutsch-Cascadische Bund, er lebe hoch."
The assembled at the table echoed his toast and all took a quick drink. When it was over, Stephen put his glass down and reached into his jacket pocket to retrieve a black container of leather, marked with the Cascadian tricolor and crossed swords. "As a Republic and a nation descended from settlers Cascadia does not have the same system of honors that Germany enjoys, but there has as of late been an exception. Last year our nations worked together to put down the corrupt regime in Holland. It was in this conflict that Cascadia reclaimed the city of Darwin and achieved the reunification of Australia. In the spirit of that glorious achievement I ordered the creation of a special honor to celebrate the occasion. The Pacific Cross is to be awarded to those, military or civilian, who proved crucial to the restoration of our nation to Darwin; it will be retained to honor those who perform great services to the continued health and strength of the Cascadian nation on both ends of the Pacific. So it is with great pleasure that I award the first Pacific Cross 1st Class to His Imperial Majesty the Emperor Wilhelm."
Taking the medal out, Stephen requested permission to repeat the process Wilhelm had done with him. The Kaiser agreed immediately and Stephen pinned the Order on Wilhelm's uniform with all the other various medals and orders already present on it. "Your Majesty, I thank you for the friendship you have shown Cascadia and for your efforts to maintain the Bund."

That medal was not the only one present in the container, however. Stephen looked to the table. "For service in the Dutch War, I would like Field Marshal von Mackensen, Großadmiral von Hipper, Kanzler Sänger and Großadmiral Scheer to approach."

Scheer and Hipper were first there, Mackensen and Sänger coming from the left of the table.

Each stood before him while Stephen retrieved the other four medals he'd been carrying in the container; formalized containers for their awards would be given by a servant after the dinner since he could hardly carry five in a jacket pocket. One by one he referred to them by name again and awarded the same commendation to each. The three military men accepted their awards quietly and had him pin them on.

Sänger had different ideas. Smiling and shaking hands with Stephen, he accepted the medal without having it pinned on due to the Hanseatic tradition which he followed. Taking it, he placed the medal on the table before him as he sat back down.

Wilhelm nodded to the Reichskanzler, who produced a small box. Sänger took out the medal and approached the President. "My dear friend, for your invaluable help in the last war, I present to you the medal of unification that was printed to commemorate the inclusion of the Kingdoms of Belgium and the Netherlands into the German empire."

The medal, of solid silver hanging from an orange ribbon and adorned with a black, red and gold band, showed Germania holding hands with two figures that were supposed to represent Belgium and the Netherlands. After handing the medal over the President while the audience applauded, Sänger once again took his place.

Eventually, the banquet concluded with a great display of fireworks and the Gardekorps escorted the Cascadians back to the Hotel Adlon. Sänger himself turned to leave when he noticed the Emperor motioning for him to approach. Sänger did so. "Your Majesty." "Herr Kanzler." The two regarded each other for a long time while nobody said anything. Then Wilhelm extended his hand. "My congratulations to your marriage, Herr Kanzler." Sänger took the hand, feeling the usual bone-crushing grip of the Kaiser and the pain the rings of the Kaiser caused. But it was a peace offering and he took it gladly.

"Thank you, your majesty." "You do understand why I cannot come to the reception or to the wedding?" Sänger nodded. "Yes, your majesty." The Kaiser's health had not improved much since the naval review. Wilhelm continued: "How is your betrothed?" "She is well, your majesty, though a bit excited."

Wilhelm smiled, the first true smile Sänger had seen since the election. "Ah, of course. Who wouldn't be?" The Kaiser mused a bit, no doubt remembering his late wife. He abruptly turned to Sänger and said: "You have made a good choice, Kanzler." Then, without waiting for a reply, the Kaiser turned away.

The dinner was over.

Berlin, Hotel Adlon

It was late when Stephen and Rachel returned. The nanny left behind confirmed all the children were sound asleep in their suite, leaving the First Couple of Cascadia to settle into their own.

Mostly undressed, another long day soon to come, they settled into the comfortable bed. As they did so, Stephen put his right hand on his wife's shoulder and asked Rachel, "Out of curiosity, love, in your professional opinion as a language expert...?"
"Yes?", she inquired, somewhat groggy, clearly wanting to settle down and sleep.
"Which did you consider better? My German or the Kaiser's English?"
Grinning slyly, she turned in the bed to face him. "Do you have to ask?" After some silence, but before he could inquire further, she continued, "The Kaiser, of course. Your German gets slow and some of the pronunciations are off. I mean, it's not bad, but it's got that accent; the Kaiser's doesn't."
With a grin of his own, he settled his head on the pillow. "Et tu, Rachel? Good night now."
"Good night."

Results:
- Cascadian visit to Germany, first two days complete
- huge amount of fluff being written
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Redshirt

Post by Alfred Thayer Mahan »

Stockholm, Riksdag Nordisk Förening

"The motion of No Confidence in the current government of the Nordic Union...carries!"

The Speaker's mallet came down with a resounding crash that echoed through the chamber, and immediately cheers and groans broke out, as the assembled delegates from the Union began to register their thoughts and feelings on the political clash that had just taken place. Even though their nations had coalesced around a solid core of shared pride in a common heritage, even though they all had put aside their mistrust to forge what the kings of old could only have dreamed of, still there had always been those who had raced too quickly towards the shimmering dream of conquest...and that had to be ended. The now-former government, whose ministers were shaking their heads and muttering to themselves as they walked from their front benches, had begun an unprecedented military buildup that had angered traditional regional allies while threatening war the monolithic Communist state to the East. No Scandinavian citizen enjoyed knowing that their Finnish brethren suffered under Red rule (didn't the papers say so?), but to prepare to launch an unprovoked war against such a colossus, even while the socialist bear crumbled under Asian blows? Madness. Why poke the bear while it was already enraged?

And so it had come to this; an alliance working behind the scenes in the Union Parliament, even as the government continued to carry out plans against both of the major powers in the Baltic. To the government's shock, it had come from their supposed allies on the Right, whom they had thought placated with their military spending...but money must be spent wisely, in the eyes of the General Electoral League, and the government had failed in its duty. No, it was time for a change, before the Union was involved in a war it could not win, and thousands of young men killed for no purpose. Party managers quietly entered into negotiations with its traditional allies of the Venstre Party to form a coalition government of national unity, and even sought out some of the more "conservative" Members belonging to longtime Opposition parties...after all, if this was to be a truly national government, every effort must be made to show that the League wanted only to rescue the Union from the previous government's folly.

Even if that meant reaching out to Socialists with a (possibly-ungrasped) olive branch.

As it turned out, the choice of candidate put forward was enough to ensure that the Socialdemokratiförbund, while not wanting to be entirely left out, requested only two portfolios in the incoming government; the Ministries for Agriculture and Labor, with a promise that no strikes would be forthcoming if real wages would be increased as long as the government lasted, along with the possibility of a state-sponsored pension plan for senior citizens. That bargain was quickly struck on the advice of the candidate put forward for the Ministry for Finance, who argued that wages would increase regardless, and any further concessions could be brought to the table. With the deal in place, as the government continued on what appeared to be an aggressive course destined to begin a war no sane Member of the RNF wished for, a Member for Gotland brought the Motion to the floor, and the heated debate began.

With that crashing mallet, Mr. Ekman's government had fallen. The League had already made it known that they had a man in mind to replace him at the top...Arvid Lindman. The Riksdag awaited their new leader and his vision with a mixture of hope and trepidation, but anything would be better than this stumbling towards an avoidable war with their Baltic neighbors.

Result-I rejoin as leader of the Nordic Union
-A *major* change in union government/avatar
"More Lettow-Vorbeck! Less vampiric eroticism!"
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Le Monde

Ministere de la Guerre Announces Massive Air Projects: Minister for War Etienne de la Conde announced at a press conference today that "greater emphasis" will be placed on the Armee de l'Air in future budgets; upgrades were later described as including a larger number of air-bases, as well as greatly increased numbers of aircraft. Additionally, the 4th Republican Guard Squadron was revealed to be scheduled to participate in an exchange program of some sort with the German Luftwaffe. These sweeping changes are expected to begin next quarter.

Combined-Arms Gaining Ground at War Ministry: In light of the successes provided by interservice cooperation during the Dutch War, a MdlG spokesman stated that units of the Marine Corps and an uncertain number of naval ships will be conducting joint exercises, possibly with German involvement.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Portland, Federal District
25 June 1926

The capital was in a skewed mood as of late. President Garrett had just left, taking a trans-Continental train to New York City with his family to make his way to Europe. The government's day-to-day affairs was left to Vice President Cadbury who, still unenthused over the President not making this record trip to his home in Australia, was now left with dealing with heckling from Conservative pundits even with both houses of Congress having ended their 25-26 sessions.

Rachel MacKenzie had other worries, ones she had not shared with her colleagues. Today she was on the phone, again, with Alistair Weyland, the Ambassador to California, calling to his office in the Californian capital of Los Angeles. "What's the status on this land tax increase?"

"Well, they're attempting to placate the Baja landowners by making it nationwide and eliminating the exception for CasCalOCo," Weyland answered. "But they're pretty riled up. And I'd be a fool if I didn't see them getting emboldened by Mexico. The Mexicans are looking to make up for their failure to get Panama and this political issue in California is the perfect thing for that."

"Would you please try to get the Californians to hold off for now? With the President going to Europe I'm afraid of the situation worsening and forcing him to cancel. Shouldn't their Congress be adjourning for the year?"

"Normally, but President Lawson has threatened to recall them for special session immediately if they don't have the new budget authorized, and that includes the tax increases that the Bajanos are protesting."

"Dammit, get Lawson to back down. I'll go to Lopez and get him to approve temporary loans from us if he wants some guaranteed money, we can't afford California starting a crisis now!" Rachel gave a few more remarks to Weyland and hung up, aggravated beyond words due to the situation, and the consequences for her.

The prior year, she had negotiated on behalf of the President regarding a treaty with Mexico that would delineate spheres of influence and pledge no conflict. The Mexicans, however, had insisted on a secrecy term, and that combined with the vague assurances involving the historic Mexican claims to Cascadia's southern territories had ensured a difficult ratification fight, with the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs refusing to accept the secrecy term and insisting on Mexican clarification of intentions involving the old claims.

The ratification fight had ended prematurely when the Mexicans invaded Panama. It was soon clear their peace offer was not a sincere desire to ensure the peace of the continent but a clearing of the flanks. Embarrassed enough, Rachel had been further subjected to scorn by those Senators in the know, who upbraided her for not pushing for more clarification from Mexico before signing the treaty, and the President had been particularly displeased.

Then there were the Mexicans. With the conflict underway and no ratification, her opposite in Mexico City had proposed an arrangement; the Cascadian government would honor the treaty despite no ratification for the time being and Mexico would not publicize it, a move that would certainly be a massive blow to Cascadian links to South America and which could jeopardize their place on the Canal Board if Colombia proved victorious (as it eventually was). Given the situation in the Far East at the time and Cascadia already concerned with doings elsewhere, there was no interference.

Then, this past April, the Mexicans sent another note, informing Cascadia of their interest in the Baja situation and pledging again to honor the treaty despite no ratification if reciprocated along with the threat of revelation, such that MacKenzie darkly wondered if the Mexicans had been the ones to tell Kentworth and the Socialists of the treaty to provide pressure. This issue was not so easily ignored; California was a main source of oil and food for American Cascadia and had them as a major trading partner. If the Mexicans had designs on California in any way, whether it was stronger influence or detaching territory, it could not be easily ignored.

So she waited, hoping diplomacy in California could resolve the crisis, knowing failure meant the loss of her job and danger for her country.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

A New Dawn, Part I

Belgrade, Palace Gardens, January 1926

The snow seemed eager to cover everything in it's icy grip, it had been falling for days, annoying those who hated it and delighting those who enjoyed the cold touch of winter. Alexander's daughter Sofia was a big fan of the winter, she had spent hours making the perfect snowman - her father said that she was behaving childishly, for a women in her twenties, but she didn't care. There was something about the snow that she loved, something that comforted her, she couldn't explain it. And besides any excuse to get away from her father was most welcome.

She was however not alone in the gardens, a man was watching her from a distance with a smile on his face. He found her snowy adventures quite cute, and could not resist the urge to join in. He grabbed some snow, formed a snowball and aimed carefully - it flew the short distance between them quickly and struck Sofia in the back. First she was startled but then she turned around and faced the culprit, her face changed into a smile, and then into a wicked grin as she began making a snowball of her own.

"You want to play?" She said with a playful smile and threw the snowball at the man who approached her, hitting him in the face and blinding him. He fell into the snow. She ran over concerned and leaned over him. "I'm sorry...Are you all right?" She said and leaned closer. The man smiled and opened his eyes, he grabbed her hand and pulled her down into the snow. "Yes, I want to play." He said and kissed her. After a few passionate kisses Sofia pushed him away and got up to leave.

"Shady, you know you shouldn't do that." Sofija frowned. "If somebody sees us and tells my father..."

"Don't worry my dear, there is nobody here but us." Shady said with a smile. "And besides, I think it's time for us to tell your father."

"No! We can't. You know what he's like, he would never accept you, you are not of noble blood." Sofia spoke sadly. "And I'm afraid of what he might do to you..."

"What do you mean?" Shady asked, seeing that there is more involved then she was saying.

"My father has been behaving strangely as of late, something about him has changed - and not for the better." Sofia seemed frightened. "Maybe it's just me, but he is not himself anymore."

"I'm sure it's just stress. He'll be fine. Don't worry." Shady reassured her. But he wasn't sincere, he knew something was wrong with Alexander, the change was apparent, he just didn't want to worry her. He smiled. "Do you know how happy you make me?"

"Yes. You're a lucky man." Sofia smiled back, dismissing her previous thoughts, she didn't want them to ruin the moment.

Their relationship had been going on for almost a year, but they had to keep it a secret, as Shady was not of noble blood and as such was an unacceptable match for Sofia. Alexander would never approve of it, under any circumstances, so they were forced to live a lie - sneaking around like children. Sirah didn't like that, but for now he had no choice in the matter.

Sofia's Chambers, One month later

Shady had managed to sneak in undetected, but he didn't like having to do this, it made him uncomfortable - and if Alexander caught him there, it wouldn't end well. He was a man of honor though, and this was only a last resort - Sofia had sent him a message, asking him to come quickly. Apparently she had important information for him. This made Shady nervous, whatever she wanted to tell him, probably wasn't good news - especially since she had forced him to risk coming to her chambers. He entered the room quietly and found her combing her hair in front of a mirror, waiting for him.

"This better be good..." He whispered and smiled as he approached her.

"It's not good." She said, her face showed fear.

"What is it?" Shady asked with a concerned look and placed his hand on her shoulder. She gently grabbed his hand and began crying. He was now confused and even more nervous. "Tell me."

"My father has gone mad. I heard him call you a traitor today." She said. "He seemed very angry, he was talking about the Soviet Union and..."

"It's ok. Don't worry." Shady said and tightened his grip on her shoulder. "He's just angry at me because of a conversation we had today. He'll get over it." He was lying again, but it was for her own good.

Sirah's office, August 1926

Sirah was walking around nervously, waiting for news from Sofia, he hadn't seen her in almost two weeks. Her father had taken her to the Royal Retreat in Croatia, he said the sea air would do them both good. Shady found that decision quite suspicious, especially in light of other decisions Alexander had made recently. He couldn't wait for her to come back so he asked his friend, the Director of OZNA Ermin Valjevcic to make contact with her - the way he did best, secretly. Sirah had no choice, he did not want to risk upsetting Alexander even further, especially since they were coming to blows more often recently.

Now, all he could do was wait.

His nervous waiting was ended by a knock on the door. "Come in." He said. The door opened and Ermin Valjevcic entered the room, accompanied by Boris and a few other men who were members of Sirah's inner circle of allies.

"Gentlemen, please come in. Have a seat." He said. "What news do you bring?"

Ermin Valjevcic was the first to speak. "We have a serious problem." He said and sat down. "I was successful in making contact with Sofia, and it isn't good."

"Tell me." Shady said. It was obvious he was worried.

"It seems her father is keeping her as a prisoner in the Manor, and it gets worse..." Ermin paused knowing Shady would not take the following news lightly. "He seems to have been...beating her."

He didn't even finish the sentence when Sirah erupted in rage. "That son of a bitch! Majku mu jebem! I’ll fucking kill him!" Shady shouted and got up from his chair. "I'll kill him!"

It took Boris and the others almost ten minutes to calm him down enough for their conversation to continue. Shady had managed to get himself barely under control, and although he was burning up inside, he knew this wasn't the time to get angry. He had to make some smart decisions.

"Please continue." Shady said and poured himself a drink; he then offered the others one too.

"This isn't the only problem." Valjevcic continued. "It seems Alexander has finally lost his mind completely."

"I can see that." Shady grumbled.

"According to Sofia he now considers you a traitor and plans to remove you from power. It seems that somebody has presented evidence, which implicates you in a planed coup against him." Valjevcic said. "It seems one of your enemies has quite skillfully used Alexander’s instability against you."

"It would seem so." Shady said. "When is Alexander coming back to Belgrade?"

"In a few days." Valjevcic said. "And I'm assuming that he will make his move as soon as he arrives."

"Damn it. I can't believe it has come to this, I cannot believe that the day has come when I have become forced to go up against my own Emperor." Shady said sadly, his voice showing disappointment. It took him a few moments, to collect himself, but soon he continued. "We have no choice. If Alexander does what you said he will do - then it doesn't just cause problems for me, but for all of us. Gather the men; we have to make preparations for what is to come."

The Dungeon, Present Day

Out of all the thoughts in his head, Shady Sirah cared only about one thing – Sofia. As the men entered the room intent on ending his life, his mind was filled with fear, not fear for his life but for hers. He worried what Alexander might do to her in his present state of mind. The two men came closer, with killing intent in their eyes – and Sirah realized his help was late and he was on his own.

The two men reached out to grab him, but he exploded, the old soldier in him woke up and pure bloodthirsty instinct had taken over. He roared like a lion and punched the first man in the face, breaking his nose. Blood came gushing out and the man stumbled backwards. The second man pulled out a knife, but Shady was too fast for him, he kicked him in the groin and grabbed the hand he held the knife in. He then punched him in the throat and the man fell down, gasping for air.

Sirah was left with a prize in his hand, the knife, which he quickly put to good use. As the first man had managed to produce his own knife and proceeded to attack Shady with it. He avoided the first slash and moved in closer kicking the man in the stomach and bending his arm behind his back and pushing him into the wall.

He turned around to face his other attacker, who had regained his breath, and with a quick slash he slit his throat, blood sprayed from the wound as the man gurgled his last breath and collapsed to the ground.

Shady didn’t stand idle, he charged his remaining attacker and slammed him into the wall once again – he then used the knife and stabbed the man. His anger took the better of him and he continued to stab the man several times, until the door opened and someone called out his name.

He managed to calm down and recognize the men that appeared, they were his help, and they were late. The men looked at him in shock, he was covered in blood, his eyes were red with anger and his attackers were dead.

“Impressive.” One of them said. “Quickly now, we must leave before the guards come.”

Shady dropped the knife from his hand and wiped the blood from his face. “Alright, let’s go.” He said as one of the men handed him a loaded weapon.

“We might have to fight our way out.” The tallest among the men said, he was muscular and had the look of a killer about him. But then again they all did, such was the nature of OZNA special forces teams – only killers volunteered for such a bloody job.

“Fight our way past two brigades of the Emperors finest warriors?” Shady said and lifted his weapon.

“Ten thousand of them, and six of us, if we count you as well…” The tall man grinned. “I would say the odds are in our favor.”

“I don't think we have much of a choice.” Shady commented. “Let’s go.”

The OZNA team and Sirah moved out quietly, avoiding guards and patrols on the way out. The first part was easy, they got out of the dungeon in no time, but now the hard part of the job presented itself. They had to get out of the Palace, through the gardens and downhill through the city, to the river. Where a ship was waiting, the BCS "Freedom's Hammer", a "Junak" class cruiser. Between the ship and them stood ten thousand Imperial Guardsmen, getting to it and safety was going to be a very hard thing to do.

Palace Communications Office

“Your Majesty, we are ready to start the transmission.”

“Good let’s get to it then.”

Alexander was about to address the nation through the use of the radio, and not just the nation but the world, and what he was about to say would shock them all. An official announced the beginning of his speech and Alexander began to make his address to the people.

“People of the Confederacy, citizens of our glorious nation, and others who are listening. Today I must inform you of a most foul deed; an act of treason has been committed against our proud nation and against me, your Emperor.

Prime Minister Shady Sirah is a traitor, he has plotted against me, he has tried to remove me from power and take control of the Confederacy with the help of foreign devils and other traitors. He planned to kill me and become Emperor himself.

But this has not come to pass, his plans have failed and he was arrested for treason. The traitor showed just how weak he was, because I have been informed a few moments ago, that he has committed suicide. Shady Sirah is dead.

Let his death be a sign to all his allies, they are next.

My people we have been betrayed, those who we considered friends and allies have proven to be anything but. We cannot rely on others, we must stand alone, we must survive alone. This is why, as of this moment, the Balkan Confederacy is withdrawing its membership from the Aegian Axis.

The time has come for us to create a new future for ourselves.”

With that the transmission ended, leaving the people of the Confederacy in shock. Within moments riots erupted on the streets of Belgrade and other cities, the people didn’t like what Alexander had said. The Aegian Axis was a good thing, calling them traitors and falls friends for no reason at all was not a good thing. The announcement of Sirah’s death and the accusations against him were an ever bigger cause of concern, Sirah was by far the most popular politician in the Confederacy, the people loved him, and they refused to believe he would betray them.

Things were getting very hot in the streets of Belgrade…

Palace Gardens, Moments later

A small group of men exited the palace, they made their way across the gardens and to the back gate, a secondary entrance into the palace that lead directly into the streets of Belgrade. They were dressed as guardsmen so the other members of the Guard ignored them. Until they reached the gate that is. The gate was closed and about a dozen armed guards checked everyone who got in and out - this presented a problem for Sirah and his small group of saviors, their disguises would not hold up on a close inspection. The Guards would recognize Sirah instantly.

"What now?"

"There is too many of them to fight our way out."

"We need a distraction."

The OZNA agents argued amongst themselves while Sirah focused on something in the distance.

"What's wrong?" The team leader asked him, noticing his distant gaze.

"Look." Sirah said. "Fire."

In the distance a trail of smoke rose up into the air, at first they thought it was an isolated incident, a single building that caught fire - but they were wrong. They soon noticed more smoke coming from various locations, it seemed the whole city was on fire.

"What the hell is going on?" Sirah asked, but he received no answer as his comrades for now focused on a new event. The guards from the gate had rushed out into the street and soon loud noises came from that direction, yelling and the sound of things braking.

"Quickly now, this is the distraction we needed." The tall leader of the OZNA team said and began running. The rest followed suit. As they ran out into the street, most of the guardsmen ignored them, they were focused on their greatly welcomed distraction. A large group of civilians armed with torches and sticks was attempting to enter the Palace and most of the Guard was busy trying to force them back. The conflict soon got very violent when the mob began throwing stones at the Guard, who in turn began firing warning shots into the air. The gunshots scared some of the people off, but most of them were getting even more violent.

As Sirah's group moved out into the streets, the mob noticed them and they quickly recognized him.

"That's Sirah, He lives!" One of the protesters yelled and soon Sirah and his rescuers were surrounded by a giant mob of people. "Shady Lives!" Some of them began shouting. Sirah removed his hat and his jacket, removing what little disguise he had left.

"I live." He shouted. "For the Confederacy!"

The people responded greatly to his words and charged at the Guardsmen with courage and rage fueling them forward. They soon broke through the gate and into the Palace Gardens.

"SHADY LIVES IN DEATH!" They shouted as they began attacking the Imperial Guard. "Death to the traitors!"

Gunfire sounds were soon heard as the desperate Guardsmen tried to protect themselves. "SHADY LIVES IN DEATH!" The mob shouted as the gunfire sounds and screaming intensified. In the commotion Shady and his allies escaped into the city and towards the river, where salvation awaited them. More guardsmen came forth from the Palace with orders to quell the riots with any means necessary and soon the conflict escalated into a city wide riot. The protesters were however no match for the armed fanatics of the Emperor and they would soon lose this battle, unless help arrived.

After a few minutes of intense running through the now burning city, Shady and the OZNA team had reached their destination on the river, the BCS "Freedom's Hammer". They soon boarded the ship and the sailors welcomed them with cheers and cries of "SHADY LIVES!" There was no time to waste, Shady was quickly escorted to the bridge where he was greeted by the Ships Captain.

"The Confederate Navy stands ready to serve." The Captain said. "Glad to see you made it here alive."

"I'm glad to be here." Shady said. "Is everything ready?"

"Yes Sir." The Captain spoke and motioned for the crewmen to prepare the radio. "General Stojkovic and his men are entering the city now, and the rest of our allies await your command. All you must do is give the Signal."

"Then let's do it." Shady said. It seemed that the contingency plan he had prepared in case the worse happened, would be used after all. For Shady it was a sad day, and a dark hour - when he, a loyal servant of the Confederacy and it's people, would have to go up against his own Emperor. Forces loyal to Sirah were prepared all across the Confederacy, ready to start a rebellion in the name of Sirah, they were just waiting for a signal.

And soon, the signal was given - the thunderous roar of the large ships guns as they opened fire and began bombarding the Emperors Palace, followed by a radio transmission consisting of only four words.

"THE HAMMER HAS FALLEN!"

To be continued...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Berlin
Townhouse of the Volkonskys
July 9th, 1926

Reichskanzler Dr. mult Johannes Sänger was not someone who normally lost his cool. Yet the upcoming event almost made him puke with hatred, anticipation and dread. Natasha and he had agreed to actually hold two wedding receptions - a public one, held the day before the wedding, and the private one with family and friends, held after the wedding. He looked quite forward to the latter, but the former had caused him to once more look into the possibility of eloping, a perception that was only reinforced when he looked over the long lines of round tables. They had just started to be filled.

First, there was the cost and the sheer size of the thing. Natasha had wanted a grand wedding and her father had been very happy to oblige. Eventually, the connections of both him and Natasha's family had brought together a crowd of over 2000 people. Of those about 300 could be considered family and friends. Then there were the foreign ambassadors and consuls, followed by the German General Staff and the heads of the various services. Those Sänger actually did not mind as much, for they at least provided stimulating discussion.

Which definitely was not the case with the next group, the press. Then there were select delegates from the Reichstag, the heads of the noble houses, the Russian emigres and the heads of important businesses. Sänger was quite sure that half of all these would not mind if suddenly he would keel over and die. He suspected that at least a quarter of those assembled had been involved with plotting his demise during the last election.

Then there were the costs. A 9-course meal, served on gold and silver plates for that many people would have consumed more than his entire salary for the year. Thankfully, the count had agreed to shoulder the costs, but Sänger did not particularly like being indebted to anyone.

Yet, there were bright spots. His younger brother had arrived and was now waiting for him. A stouter version of Sänger himself, Jens's face was framed by a large beard and his face showed all the signs of someone who had spent his life in the German Merchant Marine. His sister Anna, who looked every inch the part-frisian she was - freckled skin, long blond hair and blue eyes - had quickly struck a rapport with Natasha based on their mutual love of horses. In the end, the knowledge that his family had accepted Natasha was no small comfort, especially considering that with the exception of her father, the same was not quite true for her family. Still, they too had turned out in force and had all pitched in to help coordinate the massive undertaking that this reception would be.

Due to the mass of people no fewer than 150 seperate tables had been set up. A traditional wedding procession - where everyone would walk past the bride and groom and then hand over gifts or congratulate them was abandoned due to two reasons: First, it was utterly impractical due to the scale of the event and second, it reminded Sänger too much of a coronation. So it had been decided that Sänger and Natasha would switch every five minutes or so while the guests had been paired as best as possible to stimulate conversation. However, Sänger only really looked forward to the first table, where they would sit for the duration of the meal. Stephen and his family had been seated there, along with Natasha's aunt, her father and brothers as well as Sänger's family. Complimenting the arrangement were Grand Admirals Scheer, von Hipper and Tirpitz, Field Marshal von Mackensen as well as the heads of Germany's political parties and their families, including Burchardt and his wife. A special place of honor had been reserved for Prof. Hans Delbrück, Sänger's former academic teacher. He especially looked forward to spending some time with him.

Yet the other tables were a different matter. He especially dreaded the toasts - it was to be expected that there would be at least one each table. Thankfully, there were special small cups reserved for him and Natasha, but he suspected that at least the Russian tables would at least have filled his with vodka, whereas wine was the drink of choice at the German tables. Natasha would not be expected to reciprocate, but he would. "Pounding headache, ahoy", he muttered to himself.

"What?" A bemused voice interrupted his musings. Sänger turned around and noticed that Jakob Burchardt had apparently sneaked up to him. Scowling at him, the Reichskanzler indicated the tables with a sweeping hand gesture. "I hate this." Burchardt frowned. "You hate what exactly?" "This. I hate that it is political. I hate that it is expensive. I hate that it requires me to drink myself into oblivion. And I hate at least half the people assembled here." Burchardt nodded, coming up and standing next to him. "You are a great hater, aren't you?" "You find this funny?" Burchardt nodded and took a drag of his cigarette (smoking being another thing Sänger hated). "No, my dear Johannes, I think you are behaving like a cross between a giant curmudgeon and a huge ass."

"Excuse me?" Non-perturbed, Burchardt took another long drag. "You heard me. Your wife - your beautiful wife who you surely must have drugged to get her to marry you workaholic - wants a grand wedding. Her family wants a grand wedding. You later get a private wedding reception as well. So what in heaven's name are you angry about? It makes Natasha happy. So man up and try to enjoy it for her sake."

Sänger continued to scowl at Burchardt for a minute before finally admitting the root cause of his problem. "I am nervous." "Yes, I know. But don't worry, I am sure it will be a disaster. After all, you Bremer never could get anything right." Sänger could not help himself at that comment and erupted in laughter.

He was about to retort when he noticed Burchardt looking over his shoulder. Turning, he noticed Natasha and his sister walking towards him, both looking splendid in their gowns. Anna had opted for a caramel dress, while Natasha had decided to go with a green one, her wedding dress being reserved for tomorrow. As the two approached, Sänger could not help but think Why does she not look nervous? Smiling, Natasha offered her arm. "Ready?" Sänger adjusted his clothing for the last time, nodded at his sister and took the offered arm. "Ready."

His valet Hans ensured silence as the two entered the room by thunderously announcing: "Countess Natasha Volkonskaya and Reichskanzler Dr. Sänger."

While the guests stood as they took their places, Sänger glanced over to Natasha. He expected her to look nervous or disturbed, but she kept smiling until they were seated, at which she then pressed his hand encouragingly. Leaning over, Sänger whispered: "Last chance to get away. I could declare a state of national emergency and leave abruptly, you know." Natasha's smile widened at the joke, and successfully fighting the urge to laugh, she looked him in the eye and simply said: "No."

Here goes nothing. Sänger stood and started the most important speech of his life. "Honoured guests. Thank you all for coming and honouring the Countess and me. I cannot tell you how pleased I am at such a great many people having arrived here for this occasion, which culminates a relationship that started over a year ago. The Countess and I first met on February 26th of last year when she undertook a visit to the Reichskanzlei...."

Over the course of the following five minutes he described the relationship and eventual courtship, though he left out those details that were more private or ill-suited to repeat in public, such as the fact that the first time when they had met it had almost resulted in her brother assassinating the Reichskanzler. Eventually, he closed with: "And now I ask you to raise your glasses and drink to the health of my beautiful bride."

Sitting back down and once more taking Natasha's hand, who leaned over and breaking protocol, kissed his cheek, he waited for the next person to make a toast. As this was a public event, it would not be her father - which was once more reserved for the private wedding, but the highest ranking Government official, foreign or domestic.

Results:
- public part of the wedding has started.
------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Egyptian Embassy
Belgrade

The ancient palazzo had been built by a Venetian merchant-prince, a long time ago in a less civilized time, and it had accordingly been designed like a small fortress in order to survive the tumultuous times of the Renaissance. Today, that aspect of its history came in very useful indeed. Groups of soldiers and revolutionary mobs surged through the streets of Belgrade, looting and fighting and burning as the supporters of Shady Sirah fought the Emperor's guardsmen for supremacy over the city and, by extension, the entire nation.

On top of the curtain wall that enclosed the small patch of extraterritorial ground, Ambassador Raheem al-Qadari watched the city burn. "Chaos," the ambassador muttered. "Utter chaos. Surely, this is the eventual fate of all jahili. Without the wisdom of Allah to guide them they turn on one another like rabid dogs."

Ahmed Ben Hassan smiled thinly. Officially he was the Sultanate's resident spook - but al-Qadari knew he was more than that: Ben Hassan was also there to keep an eye on the ambassador and to place a knife firmly in his back should he abandon the Sultan's directives. "Don't be so sure we are beyond such chaos, sidi. Our own history is filled with civil strife and the murder of Sultans." His smile widened almost imperceptibly. "Allah, it would appear, guides those who guide themselves."

"That is blasphemy," muttered al-Qadari. A revolutionary mob surged through the otherwise deserted street, carrying blood-red banners and chanting 'Shady lives in death!'. The ambassador shook his head in disgust. "They wish to murder their Emperor. Regicide, in this day and age! Can you believe it?"

The assassin shrugged, a gesture of supreme indifference. "Alexander is mad. Perhaps it is his time to exchange this life for the next. If he lives, the Axis loses a key member. If he dies, we do not. It would appear then we stand to gain from his death more than from his life."

"That may be so," frowned the ambassador. "But it is the principle that matters. Lesser men should not kill a King. It is..." al-Qadari struggled to find the right word. "Sacrilege."

Ben Hassan was clearly not impressed by that argument. "Look at it this way, sidi," he argued. "If the Emperor dies, we gain, yes? And we are ever Allah's faithful servants. Surely then Allah must have given His blessing to this revolution."

"Perhaps." Al-Qadari looked doubtful, but nevertheless followed the logic chain to its end. "If Allah struck the Emperor with insanity... Then this chaos might be His way of weeding the chaff from the wheat. And whoever comes out on top is deserving of our support."

"Indeed," Ben Hassan seemed satisfied with the ambassador's theological reasoning. "In the end, Emperors and Sultans are but men, ambassador. They can be lead astray just as any other man. And they can be killed just as any other man." As if to illustrate his words, the thunder of heavy guns rumbled across the rooftops. Moments later warship shells struck the palace that towered high above the roofs of the city. Even from this distance parts of the palace could be seen to collapse in a wave of fire and smoke. Ben Hassan smiled predatorily. "As I'm sure we're about to see."
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Nuln Naval Yard

The Centurion rose on the stocks, as everyday it got a little closer to leaving the slip. Once cleared another BB would be immediately laid down, in fact machinery and guns had aleady begun to arrive at local warehouses for the as-yet unamed third hull in the Centurion class battleships. The director of the yard, an improbably named Ernesto Wise, sighed. Another patrade of self-important buffoons. Out loud he merely inclined his head and shook the hands of his latest visitors, Grand Admiral Saldana and Admiral Hyatt, the man in charge of BuShips. "So good to see you both, what do you think of the progress we're making?"

"Director Wise, can we speak in your office?"

Inwardly Wise cursed. Forgoeing small talk could only mean bad news for him. "Of course." He lead the two Admirals, andtheir entourage to his office. He did a doubletake when he noticed that both men had brought only one aide instead of the usual gaggle of hangers-ons. They entered the small office building at the edges of slip #12, the interior being cooler as the HoneyBell HVAC worked mightily to make living in India a slightly less miserable existence. Director Wise sat down at his desk and the two admirals sat across from him. Before Wise could offer tea Saldana spoke.

"Our naval situation is grim, Director Wise."

"Oh?"

"Oh. We've always suffered an imbalance with the Schismatics, but recently the Germans have shown off their latest battleships, and confirmed what ONI had reported in regards to their main battery. The Cascadians are working on similiarly capable vessels. Even the Grecians are laying down some super-heavy fast BBs. And a week ago we recieved word that the 'Q' and 'R' slips at the Schismatic Naval Yard of Rockville are being merged into one super-dock that will be able to hold a vessel on the sunny side of 900 ft long. Such a vessel would outclass anything we have, either in service or under construction."

Oh dammit. Wise thought. They are going to scrap the 1925 program on the stocks! "Admiral, it is uh, my opinion that the battlefleet will be greatly augmented by the 1925 program, and now is not the time to mull over cancelling..."

"Relax Director Wise." Admiral Hyatt gave a chuckle. "Both the Centurions and Mercurys will be built as planned, we've invested too much as it is, and we cannot afford a battleline of mostly second-class BBs anyhow. No, we've came to tell you that your yard will be recieving 2 new 70,000 ton slips. As you know w've already guarenteed loans for drydocks of that scale in private yeards, now the Nuln Naval Yard will as well. The BB class after the Centurions will have 9 18.5/50 guns that Altdorf Arsenal has been contracted to build."

"Wait, I don't understand...you two came all the way out here to tell me that? Why couldn't that have been sent by wire?"

"Because I wanted a field trip away from the politics of Williamsburg." Grand Admiral Saldana stood up. "Now give me a tour."

Results: Two 70,000 ton drydocks ordered.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Berlin
July 9th, 1926

As the previous dignitary sat down, having offered his congratulations to Sänger and the Countess, France's Foreign Minister, a gentleman by the name of Honore LaShaille, rose. Lifting a glass of fine wine, he spoke in an amiable voice:

"Ladies and gentlemen, if anyone deserves well-wishes, it is His Excellency the Reichskanzler and Her Excellency the Countess. Both are among the best of humankind, intelligent, courageous, compassionate. May they live long and happily together."
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Berlin
July 9th, 1926

No German official stood first, of course. Not until someone who was both superior in rank and actually considered a friend of the groom or bride acted. Stephen, having enjoyed a kiss on the cheek from Rachel for encouragement, stood and picked up his glass. The size of the reception surpassed the public one Rafael Galverdas had thrown ten years before and was daunting, though Stephen was hardly shy. For the benefit of the attending he chose to speak in German. "Gentlemen and Ladies, I am honored to be here today, to celebrate the marriage of a good friend to a magnificent bride. Marriage is never easy; marriage for those with the responsibilities of state office is a test of willpower and patience that would try the greatest of saints." Some laughter at that. "But, in the end, it is worth it. It is a wonderful thing to have someone you love by your side as a companion through victory and tribulation or to have children together who shall carry your memory beyond your lifetime. A toast, then, to our bride and groom, and to their happiness and health! Johannes, Natasha, may you live happy and well!" And so the toast was made.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

(OOC: recommended listening while reading unless otherwise indicated in specific sections. I listened to it while writing the post).

Imperial train approaching Bremen
The guests having been seated, Sänger's thoughts turned back to the reception. Thankfully, he had not been as drunk as he had feared at the end of it, no small thanks to Hans replacing the Vodka bottle from which he filled the Chancellor's glass with water. Still, it had been taxing, especially when one had to get up at six a.m. in order to catch the Imperial train to Bremen. Once more, Natasha seemed to be impervious to the whole ordeal, engaging those seated around them in animated conversation. Hearing her voice soothed Sänger, and he soon felt himself dozing off.

Laughter woke him up. Blearily, he opened his eyes and looked around. Natasha looked a bit embarrassed, while the others were laughing - at him expense, from the looks of it. Leaning over, he asked Natasha what had happened. Leaning closer as well, she whispered that he had not reacted to one of her questions, which in turn had caused Burchardt to joke that he already understood the first principle of marriage. "My apologies, I did not know you were asleep." Sänger smiled and patted her hand. "It's alright. It is my fault anyway, falling asleep."
Raising his voice to a normal level, he turned towards Burchardt and asked: "Burchardt, what is the first principle of marriage?"

Smirking, his best man answered: "Why, Johannes, it is obviously. Be quiet when the wife talks. Though as always, you take the meaning of the word quiet to a whole new level." This caused another round of laughter while everyone was waiting for Sänger to retaliate. "Of course, Jakob. But leave it to you to not being able to distinguish a deep and valuable meditation from sleeping. You are a Hamburger after all, your kind never had any appreciation for thinking." Not to be outdone, Burchardt answered. "Is that the kind of deep thinking where you start to drool on yourself?"

The rest of the trip had passed in good spirits and light banter. The sooner they came to Bremen, the more Sänger felt sleep give away to nervousness.

Bremen Central Station
July 10, 1926

The Imperial train pulled in the beautiful building and the wedding party disembarked. The Bürgermeister had arrived to welcome them together with the dignitaries of the city. Sänger expected that some of them would criticize him in private for using the Imperial train, but for the moment he could not care less. The wedding procession being far too large for carriages, the parties simply walked the 800 meters to the Bremer Dom, which was directly next to the Town hall, the latter looking splendid with its 16th-century facade.
Uncharacteristically, it was not raining in Bremen, a fact for which everyone was grateful. Still, the occasional gust of wind had its effect as some of the hats started flying. One such gust took the flag of Bremen and wrapped it around its flagpole.
Having arrived as planned and with over 90 minutes until the wedding (which was scheduled to take place at 3 p.m.), Natasha and the ladies excused themselves. It was the first time Sänger could detect a hint of nervousness on her face. Taking her hands, he squeezed them encouragingly and was rewarded with a smile.
The men and the ladies seperated. The former walked into the great cathedral, while the latter went into the town hall to change for the wedding.

Bremer St. Petri Dom
3 P.M.

The arrived assembly was a stark contrast to the one that had been at the reception yesterday. While the audience at the public reception had been dazzling in the display of wealth and splendour and there had been almost nobody among them who had not worn a decoration or medal, the audience at Bremen kept to the hanseatic tradition. Men wore expensive, yet simple black dress-coats, with the women being the only ones who overtly displayed their wealth with jewelry, though even the jewelry was more modest compared to Berlin. The only decorations any of the men hailing from Bremen displayed - and Sänger being one of them - was the Hanseatic cross earned by some of them in wartime. The Bürgermeister and the senators wore their insignas of offices, but that was it.

The guests that had travelled with them from Berlin on the other hand stood out. Natasha's family and friends had once more donned expensive wardrobe, many of them loaded with decorations. Sänger could only guess what the Bremer audience would think of them, but so far the atmosphere remained friendly. He suspected each side would view the other with a certain fondness one might extend to a deranged family member, a sort of don't mind them, they don't know better. Still, the image of the cathedral filled with the puritan Hanseaten including his family on one side and the - in comparison - flamboyant Russians to the other side was a rather funny one and Sänger had to stop himself from giggling at it. Damn Nerves, acting up once again.

The orchestra, which was situated behind the altar, started playing, announcing the entrance of the bride. As Natasha, being given away by her father, walked to the altar, Sänger's nervousness gave away with each small step she made. Taking their places, the two turned to the priests and nodded.

As Natasha was of orthodox faith and Sänger a non-practicing Lutheran, it had been some challenge to find someone officiating. After all, conversion was not possible for obvious reasons. In the end, it had been decided that there would be two chaplains presiding over the ceremony, each faith sending one.

After the introduction by the Orthodox Priest some church songs were sung before the orchestra started their performance. Toasts and speeches had been reserved for the private wedding reception, so the orchestra had been charged with playing one of Natasha's and Sänger's favorite pieces instead. The Berlin Philharmonic had been approached and had accepted to do the honours. It was a good choice, Sänger reflected - Vivaldi's Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Summer. As usual, the musicians performed very well and when it came to the Presto, there was not a single soul left untouched by the music. Reaching out, he took Natasha's hand and squeezed it gently. Receiving a squeeze in return, the two continued to hold hands while the music washed over them.

After the music had concluded, it was time for the serious part of the vows. This part had been the hardest for the Russians to swallow. If this had been a wedding according to purely orthodox ritual, a priest would have first blessed the rings, then candles would have been given to the couple to hold throughout the ceremonies and their right hands would be joined. Eventually they would have been crowned as king and queen of their own house, wine would have been drunk from a common cup symbolizing their union, followed by a walk around a table which would have been adorned with the bible and the cross. Eventually they would have been blessed by a priest.

Of course, this ceremony had been heavily modified. The layout of the Cathedral prohibited any walking and holding a candle was vetoed by Sänger for he feared pouring hot wax all over himself. The Lutheran priest had in return prohibited any sharing of wine, as according to Lutheran rite this was reserved for communion. A crowning was also out of the question, as both Natasha and Sänger had agreed that the public of Bremen would not take towards a Hanseat like Sänger being crowned inside a city that prided itself of having rid itself of all nobles.

Eventually, this had lead to the the orthodox priest refusing to marry "a lady of this noble house to a dirty heathen", to which the lutheran priest had replied with "Who are you calling a heathen, you degenerate apostate?" Only the intercession of the count had prevented an escalation. At that point, Natasha had stated that she did not care much about the specifics of the rite, which had caused her aunt to nearly have a heart attack. In the end, the crisis had been averted when the Count had produced a 78-year old former Orthodox abbot and Sänger had called upon the priest who had baptized him. Both agreed to come out of retirement and had, over the course of a few bottles of wine, hammered out an agreement.

As the two of them were already holding hands, the Lutheran priest proceeded with asking the traditional question of whether anybody had any objections, while the audience stood. Nobody spoke up (Hans and Natasha's brothers would later all claim credit for appearing threatening enough to prevent any such occurrence) and the priest asked them if they would take each other as husband and wife. Neither of them wavered in replying "Yes, I do."

The rings were then brought forward by Burchardt, to be blessed by the Orthodox priest. As the two exchanged rings, the Orthodox priest said the traditional blessing in Russian while making the sign of the cross: "The servant of God ...is betrothed to the maid of God ... in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

After the two had finished exchanging rings, he continued in Russian, blessing the groom first: "Be thou magnified, O bridegroom, as Abraham, and blessed as Isaac, and increased as Jacob, walking in peace and working in righteousness the commandments of God." He then turned to Natasha: "And thou, O bride, be thou magnified as Sarah, and glad as Rebecca, and do thou increase like unto Rachael, rejoicing in thine own husband, fulfilling the conditions of the law; for so it is well pleasing unto God."

The Lutheran priest then took over as agreed and continuing in German, he lead the audience in a prayer for the future well-being of the couple. After it was concluded, he announced: "I now declare you man and wife."

The orchestra started playing again, this time the beautiful Hauptthema of the 4th movement of Brahms Symphony No. 1. As the music once more washed over them, Natasha and Sänger looked into each others eyes, knowing they would remember this until the end of their lives.

Under the sound of the bells of the Bremer Dom, the two made their way outside the cathedral. No shouts had been made inside the cathedral, for that would have been quite impious, but the public outside had no such inhibitions. The flash of the newspaper camera's and the "hurrah" shouts were almost enough to overwhelm the senses. An even splendider view was provided by the honour guard provided by the Kaiserliche Marine. Having a great supporter in the Chancellor, they had turned out in force. As he himself was a reservist of the Marine, it had been decided to honour the couple with a swords arch, composed of no fewer than 48 members, of which not a single one had a rank lower than captain. As they passed the arch, the two noticed that Scheer and Hipper were commanding the formation in person.

Eventually, Natasha and Sänger entered the town hall, where one last thing had to be done in order to make the marriage valid. Thanks to Bismarck's Kulturkampf, all marriages had to be formed before a state registrar. Thus, no matter the priest's proclamation earlier, the two had to once more state their intentions before a state official. The Bürgermeister officiated this small ceremony, which was over in less than five minutes. After accepting his congratulations, the two walked to the balcony, showing themselves to the crowd for five minutes before retreating inside, being now married both in the legal and in the theological sense of the word.

Bremen
Ratskeller

The Ratskeller was the oldest restaurant in Bremen, existing since the time the Town hall had been constructed in 1409. The official restaurant for the council, it also housed an extensive wine collection - over 650 different wines, including the five oldest wines in the world. The oldest of these was a red wine from the year 1653. It also had an excellent kitchen staff and was quite large as well. In short, it was the perfect place for a wedding reception.

The guests had already been seated when the two newly-weds entered the room. This time, Hans had the honour of introducing them. "Ladies and Gentlemen. I present to you the Countess Natasha Volkonskaya and her husband, Reichskanzler Dr. Sänger."

After the applause had been given, it was now time for the toasts. As best man, Jakob Burchardt was the first to do so. In true form, he delivered a fine oration, starting with asking the audience's forgiveness for presuming, that he, as a Hamburger, dared to speak first in Bremen and then neatly segued into the subject at hand with "while Bremen and my city have a friendly rivalry, the same is clearly not true about the couple I have come to praise today..."

After he had finished, Natasha's father rose to speak, who - as fathers are wont to do in such a situation - took the opportunity to describe in a highly emotional way the life of his daughter, how proud he was of her and of this marriage and ended with another toast. Sänger's father was next, his speech mirroring that of the Count, but being not as much as emotional, the famous Bremer stiffness shining through.

The final toast was made by no other than Sänger's former teacher, Hans Delbrück.
His appearance at the public reception yesterday had been almost a shock to Sänger. For his great teacher, this giant of history, looked old and frail. But his eyes were still shining with energy that belied his age. In true flair, he delivered a short lecture on the history of wedding toasts and ended with: "There is a latin proverb that first came to mind when I heard about the announcement: decori decus addit avito. I am very pleased to have discovered over the course of the last two days that this was no wrong assessment. I shall end with a final proverb which has been proven true today and which will be proved anew every day of your lives together: amantes ut apes vitam melitam exigunt. My heartfelt congratulations and I ask everyone to join me in a toast to the happy couple."

After the toast and the ensuing meal was over, wedding gifts were presented. Natasha came off far better than Sänger did in that exchange. Sänger's brother Jens presented Natasha with a brilliant necklace of pearls he had acquired in the German pacific territories. The gift of his sister Anna to Natasha was too huge to carry and was therefore not presented to her at the reception - a young mare, a crossbreed of Trakehner and Hannoverian stock from her prize-winning horse-breeding estate. Sänger thought that of all the presents, Natasha would appreciate this one the most. Natasha's aunt uncharacteristically gave both Natasha and him matching watches and then briefly hugged him. The Bürgermeister of Bremen gave them two bottles of each of the five-oldest wines in the world stored in the Ratskeller. Sänger knew what a valuable gift this was - each of the bottles were, should they ever be sold, worth several years of salaries. However, he also knew he would never sell them. His parents and the Count both pledged support for Natasha and him to buy a house.

As the reception progressed, more gifts were handed over. Some were thoughtful, others were precious, some were useful, others banal. But the greatest gift to Sänger was the one sitting to the left of him.

Results:
- wedding is over

(OOC:
- Translation for the latin phrases:
decori decus addit avito - "He adds honour to the ancestral honours", motto of clan erskine of scotland
amantes ut apes vitam melitam exigunt - Terentius, Andria I, 3. "Lovers, like Bees, have a honeysweet life." Delbrück did not add the final word of that saying: vellem (I wish).
- The church sayings are the real translated ones according to orthodox rite, so I can't take credit for them. If you think they are too pompous, blame the orthodox church.
- Also note that I left out some of the things usually happening in western ceremony (e.g.: You may kiss the bride and an actual wedding kiss), but these elements are not part of the official rite and became only popular in recent times, so they would definitely not be displayed in a semi-official wedding in the 1920s, and especially not if half the people attending are rabid conservative nobles.
- Everything described about Bremen is real, especially the part about the Ratskeller and the wines. My family owns a real bottle of the wine, which has been passed on for over 90 years in our family. The modern selection of the Ratskeller is fantastic as well and I encourage anyone whoever visits Bremen to go there.
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

co-written by Steve and Thanas
Bremen,
Central Train Station
11th July, 03:25

The wedding feast had been formally declared over and the guests had more or less steadily bid their welcome to the couple. The wedding procession was now staggering back towards the train station, where those not from Bremen would board the train back towards Berlin. The procession was now much less orderly than before, the hours of festivities having taken their toll. He suspected the city would receive some noise complaints the next day. Thankfully, while drunk, most of the Russians managed to keep their composure except for that one grandduke who had discharged his stomach contents into the weser while they were walking over the bridge towards the train station.

On the train station, there was a long procession of goodbyes and farewells directed towards Natasha, who probably had never been hugged so much in her life. He could tell she was holding up, but barely. No wonder. She's been awake and under high stress for over 23 hours. As for Sänger, the procession of saying goodbye was a shorter one. The government officials had been dealt with already at the public reception, so what friends from Berlin he had brought with numbered far less than Natasha's family and the Bremer and Hamburger stayed back as it had not been time to say goodbye yet. So he mainly had to shake hands, say "thank you" to more or less slurred well-wishes and nod in a friendly manner at whatever words were directed his way. Of course, there was the usual drunken mishap, but all in all, it was not that bad. One by one the number decreased until it was only Natasha's immediate family. This of course took some more investment. Her brothers hugged him, somewhat awkwardly, while her father hugged his daughter like he never wanted to let her go, tears running down her face as he mumbled words into her hair. Eventually, he composed himself and this time it was Sänger's turn to get pulled into a bear hug.

Eventually, all guests had borded the train, which was now gathering speed. Sänger hoped desperately that the drunken guests managed to not damage the furniture too much. Then it was time to say goodbye to Stephen and his family, who were going to board another special train that would carry them to Florence.

The kids had been put to bed, having spent most of the day with a governess from one of the Russian emigre households after observing the wedding (which had, as expected, been a severe strain on their child-sized patience, but which they endured under the careful watch of their parents and were given suitable reward afterward in the form of sweets). This left Stephen and Rachel to make their goodbyes, the members of their staff having already done so as was custom. They were at the boarding platform when Sänger and Natasha arrived. "Our best wishes to you both," Stephen said, shaking the hand of his friend as Rachel gave Natasha a far more gentle hug than her father had done.

"Indeed." Sänger answered. "Truth to be told, I am a bit aghast at the possibility of leaving Berlin behind unattended. But I think some things are worth it and Stresemann is in charge."

That drew a small laugh and an understanding nod. "I can trust Vice President Cadbury enough to have made this trip possible, but I do admit to some worry about things back home. Still, for the chance to be here for you, the cost was well worth it. I look forward to coming back, it's been my intention to give Germany and Europe as a whole a more thorough visit when my Presidency ends. The benefit, of course, is that I can actually travel as a private citizen and nobody will feel obligated to greet me with an honor guard, band music, and a state entourage." Shaking his friend's hand again, he added, "It was good to see you again, Johannes, and to know you and your nation are doing so well. I look forward to hearing from you again, and hopefully about more than issues of state."

"It was wonderful seeing you again," Rachel agreed, "and to meet you, Natasha. You two are meant for each other."

Natasha blushed. "Thank you", she said while reaching for the arm of her husband. "Have a safe journey." Sänger nodded. "Say goodbye to the children from me and I hope to see you again. Maybe next time we can be the one visiting?"

There were smiles and nods at that. "It'd be our pleasure," Rachel said happily.

The goodbyes being said, the two Cascadians boarded the train, which quickly pulled out of the station. There were still some hours of the night left and the travelers wanted to make the most of it, covering as much territory at the highest speed possible.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Bremen
Freihafen
11th July, 7:00 am

Having said goodbye to Burchardt, Stephen and his family - who they both wished to see soon again - and to the dignitaries of Bremen, it was now time to say goodbye to Johannes's Part of the family. This was accomplished with far less pomp and emotion than the earlier goodbyes. The women hugged each other, the men exchanged handshakes with a stiffness someone not accustomed to the customs of Northern Germany would view as distanced and uncaring, but which belied the real emotion underneath.

The scene for the goodbyes was an uncustomary one, the Bremer Freihafen being the principal harbor of Bremen before being eclipsed by the much deeper and larger Bremerhaven. Still, for the purpose of a secluded honeymoon it was the best, for there was no chance the press would look to closely at a departing German destroyer. Said destroyer, one of the new ZD-class destroyers, was moored in Bremen and scheduled to join the Hochseeflotte. However, this had also opened up an opportunity for a quick getaway. After the goodbyes had been said - and the promises to visit soon made - the newlyweds boarded the ship.

Soon after, the slick gray ship pulled out of the harbor and started its cruise towards the north sea. Onboard the ship, a bench had been pulled up on the forecastle for the two and visibly exhausted, the two were greatful for the opportunity to sit down. Natasha politely declined any refreshments, but Sänger gratefully took the opportunity to gobble down some Bismarck Herring to clear his head. After watching him do so with a bemused smile, Natasha asked: "So where are we going?" Sänger put the plate backwards and sat down close to her, which she promptly took advantage off to snuggle closer. While Hans spread a blanket over them to keep them warm and to shield them from the spray, Johannes started to tell Natasha about what he had planned. How his family owned a small house on Wangerooge, which as one of the frisian Islands was well guarded by a small garrison as well as completely devoid from the press or the demands of high office. He continued to tell her about the opportunity of long walks along the beach, the opportunity to ride and of course the opportunity to dine on the freshest fish and prawns in the country. If he had his way, there would be 18 days of uninterrupted peace.

Somewhere during this talk, Natasha had fallen asleep, exhaustion overwhelming her. Instead of waking her up, Sänger pulled the blanket closer and kissed her head. As the sun was coming up and they passed the Lighthouse of Roter Sand, the first building erected directly on the sea bottom, he felt a strange feeling parsing through him. For the first time in several months, he was truly content with himself and the world.

Berlin,
Stadtschloss

While Sänger was off enjoying his honeymoon, Wilhelm II. had been busy. After all, he was still the emperor, so he was quite right in continuing with the business of state even when Sänger was away, wasn't he? In fact, it was his duty as head of state. And who was Stresemann, the foreign secretary, to raise concerns about that? After all, he was Wilhelm II., by Gods Grace German Emperor.

So it was with a strong voice when he called out to his chamberlain: "Let the reporter in."
------------
------------
My LPs
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Florence, the day after the Sänger-Wedding, about a day before the arrival of the Cascadian delegation.

“Attention!…. Present… Arms!”

The Royal Guard regiment in its renaissance uniforms came to attention and the Cascadian hymn filled the air during the dress rehearsal for the arrival of the Cascadian President.

King Francesco turned his attention fom the outside to the majoromo and chief security officer standing in front of his office desk.

"Splendid, they play it well. We assume no trouble will occur during the visit of President Garri... Garrett ?"

Your Majesty, there might be demonstrators, but we can't hinder those, as by your orders regarding free speech. Regarding the possibility of violence, we consider it unlikely, but the new armour plating in the cars will stop all handgun projectiles and we will have undercover police in the masses to watch for known troublemakers. All the usual security precautions are still in force, inciting unrest will lead to arrests and due process of law."

"Enzo, the program is finished and finally also to the satisfaction of my daughter in law?"

The majordomo suppressed a shudder, remembering the discussions he and his staff had had with the Crownprincess.

"Yes, Majesty. She finally consented to have the children meet with the Presidents family without her. Her Highness'... protectiveness is, if I may be so bold, bordering on the bizzare."

"It is, truly. I do not know what kind of threat she considers a foreign president and his family to be. We considered contacting outside medical help, her husband was finally convinced by this latest event. Send a message to our ambassador in Vienna, he shall make inquiries to this doctor our court physician mentioned, what was his name?"

"Dr. Sigmund Freud, Majesty."

"Just so. But have it being done in secrecy."

EDIT: transformed the arrival post into a housekeeping post - Steve's post-to-be about the visit is much better :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Den Haag
German Empire
Kingdom of the Netherlands

In the past few months, Thomas de Vries had come to hate the majority of his fellow citizens. The spineless cowards had given in to German promises of economic wealth and personal freedom not seen under the previous communist dictatorship. And while some of them grumbled about their new status as citizens of the German Empire, few had the guts to act on their misgivings. No, the truth was that most of them were disgraceful cowards who did not deserve to live. And if they did not deserve to live, nor did the german pigs who controlled the country. Sure, their reign was bloodless and yes, the dutch now had more opportunities, more wealth and more freedom than before and their german-born king was sane compared to the outrageous Hammer, but for de Jong, nothing could mitigate the loss of independence.

A former marine diver, de Jong remembered well the days of glory in his youth, when he had joined the volunteer red banners to drive back the french cowards from the country. His most vivid memory was that of how he had gutted a frenchmen with his bayonet in the trenches of the war. Of course, the recent war of aggression - or "unification", as the press used to call it now - had gone rather differently. His unit, the 2nd marine brigade, had been ordered to advance as quickly as possible to Den Bosch, with no heavy gear and little artillery. It had been a nightmare. German planes had strafed his column and by the time they arrived, the battle had already come to a close. The dutch counterattack had run into the concentrated firepower of more than half a dozen artillery brigades and had overextended itself against the german lines. For one sweet moment, they had almost broken through and he remembered his comrades shouting "Hammer has come again". Then the cursed Gardekorps had counterattacked in force, its tanks and fresh stormtroopers breaking through the dutch lines with ease.

Thomas had found himself in a desperate counterattack trying to keep the Germans from crossing the bridges at the Meuse, but it was to no avail. Lacking heavy equipment, the marines were no match for the tanks, who had brushed past them as if they did not even exist. The next morning, the dutch had surrendered. The Germans and many of his former comrades called it an honorable surrender, but to Thomas there was no such thing - there was either victory and death. He had refused to serve in the reformed army, for he preferred unemployment to being a German soldier. Sure, he got a pension now from the German Army - a quite generous one, in fact - but he did not spent that money on his living expenses. No, he had spent it on something he regarded far more important.

His own family had deserted him - his sister Anneke had even joined the German government, now serving on the Reichskanzler's staff in Berlin. And when the rumours about the Reichskanzler and his habit of taking mistresses from the secretaries had started circulating, he knew what had to be done. Sure, some people regarded the rumours as false, especially concerning the recent marriage, but not he - He knew quite well of what the Hun was capable of. If someone was willing to partition a nation like a cheese, then marital vows were of little hindrance to baser desires. Unlike the rest of his comrades, he and his friends however had acted. Which was why he was now standing outside Antwerp and looking at the harbour, specifically at the Barbarossa-class ocean liner moored at the docks.
The Barbarossa class ocean liners had been destined for the scrapyard when the German Navy had purchased them. They had then been overhauled, guns had been installed and they had been converted into troop transports, with a heavy emphasis on beech assaults. Now, with each of them nearing 30 years of service, they were old, but still the backbone of the Imperial German Marine corps and headquarters of marine brigades.

Usually, the harbour was under heavy guard and there was no chance to getting to such an important ship, but due to the main dockyard being converted at the moment, the German Navy had been forced to station the ship inside the civilian harbor. Sure, there were guards on the docks, but there were no cutters in the water and security was not really looking at the harbor itself.

Losing each of the ships would be a heavy blow to the German Marine. Losing one at anchor and it being also named after the hometown of that pig Sänger - the words SS Bremen being visible through the glass - would be embarrassing. Having it sink at anchor drowning a large portion of men while doing so would be fitting revenge, especially on the dutch collaborators who made up the 21st Marine Brigade. Some of them would be his former comrades even, but everybody who did not resist the German occupation to the utmost deserved to die. And what better way to enact retribution than by letting the sea do the work?

Thomas quickly pulled on the diving equipment and watched as his friends Jon and Marten carefully entered the water. The dive was harder than they imagined, but after a 45 minute dive, they managed to arrive near the ship. Quickly, they dispersed, each of them setting the charges near the points they had agreed on.

They then swam as far away as possible and pulled out of the water just to watch as the charges exploded. Within minutes, the ship settled at the bottom, its belly ripped wide open and the keel broken. Of the 1200 people onboard the ship at the time, over 400 drowned.

Later, while making a toast to Comrade Hammer, Thomas and his friends agreed that this was only the beginning. Soon, plans of a devestating strike inside Germany itself were made, but Thomas dismissed it as mere wordplay. They lacked the resources for such a strike. But as far as he was concerned, 400 dead collaborators and one destroyed ship of over 11.000 tons - a blow that would especially hurt as Germany now only had 9 such liners available.

While the German Navy quickly released a statement that said the Bremen had sunk due to improperly handled munitions, Thomas and his friends made sure that word of the deed quickly spread among the hardcore communists of the German dutch territories. Soon, Thomas thought, more will join.

All in all, it had been a good day for the resistance.

Results:
- Dutch resistance has formed, strikes first blow against German rule.
- Plans of far more devestating strike called off due to lack of resources
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Florence, Kingdom of Tuscany
July 13th, 1926

The process that had been originally experienced at the pierside of Hamburg nearly a week before was now repeated, this time from the train. It pulled up to the boarding platform and a Tuscan military band immediately took up the chords of Press On Cascadia Fair with some flair.

Again Stephen led his family and entourage out. Rachel and her father took up translation duties, speaking fluent Italian, while the children fidgeted at yet another state reception. Benito Napolitano, Prime Minister and Secretary of the Treasury for the Tuscan Kingdom, led the greeting with Marco-Antonio de Gasperi, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, also in attendance.

As happened in Germany, he was welcomed to the country in the name of the monarch, King Francesco I, and he returned the greeting. A crowd waiting by the train station cheered and waved as they watched the visiting Cascadian President and his family assemble in a motorcade of discreetly-armored vehicles (there were some concerns of anti-German Italian nationalists shooting at the president of a nation that was not only close to Germany diplomatically, but who had just received high decorations from the Kaiser). From the windows the President would shake a few hands before the car gained speed, waving to the crowd as they were taken to the Palazzo Pitti.

There Stephen and his family were greeted warmly by a reception led by King Francesco himself. The sixty year old monarch showed strength that belied his age, returning partially the respectful bow and offering the Cascadian President a handshake as a gesture of friendship. Queen Maria Elena was introduced, after which Francesco's heir Prince Lorenzo introduced his wife Sofia and his children; the teenage Cosimo and the six year old fraternal twins Allesandro Augusto and Chiara Maria Victoria. The President's family was introduced in turn, their children looking with some interest at each other (in Berlin Stephen's children had not had any major contact with the Kaiser's grandchildren near their age, the Tuscan Royal children, in turn, were curious as to how their these American children would behave toward them), and the reception terminated for the moment while rooms were arranged for the Cascadian entourage.

Unlike the German visit, where the first day was taken up by the trip to Berlin from Hamburg, light business would be had. With Francisco and Lorenzo taking part from interest, Stephen and Napolitano would discuss some of the minor issues regarding their states. Napolitano was interested in a mutual reduction of tariffs so the Italian colonies in the Pacific - Italian New Guiea, New Caledonia, Tasmania, and the Solomons - could trade more freely with Cascadia's own holdings, including the newly-unified Australia. Stephen agreed and also spoke of confirming the further renewal of the Cascadian-Tuscan Naval Accord which, like the one with Germany, permitted mutual port visits and rights, including a Tuscan Navy assignment to Darwin to aid the Tuscan naval squadrons that would freely use the port on their long voyages from Italy to their naval bases in Tasmania and New Caledonia. The New Guinea Treaty was reconfirmed, with negotiations to begin upon a renewal that was due by 1930, and on the continued joint light garrisons on the island (Cascadia retained one Guard division, specializing in Mountain operations, and the Tuscans retained a similar complement with provision made for the maintenance of Biak Island as a separate garrison). The issue of the North Moluccas - claimed by the Piedmontese Italian Kingdom in the 1890s and never officially relinquished by the Tuscan successors, held by Cascadia from that time onward - was left to the negotiators to decide.

Even this light business occupied the rest of the day, the first of four (the longest visit aside from Germany due to the need to accommodate the arrival of the Greek Emperor Alexios IV in two days), so that after a private working dinner between President Garrett and Prime Minister Napolitano, the day ended.

Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

La Paz

She blinked twice.
"What a strange story," she thought. She continued to scribble notes onto her blotter as she watched the technicians adjust the image in front of her.

The face of President de la Torre gradually resolved itself on the projector - no, _Radiovision_ screen. The crackling became the voice of the president
-bring you this message for the first time over a Bolivarian Radio-Vision transmitter. It gives me great pride to speak to you in this manner,
it is a magnificent technical acheivement.
She continued to write his words, even though his transmission was being apparently recorded somehow, on a phonograph, it looked like.
I bring you happy news for our nation. We have been able to implement the equality in employment legislation. Starting now, measures are being taken to ensure the successful transition of unmarried women and even housewives into the labour force, often on a semi-employed basis, and with the help of government child care programs.

We expect the increased introduction of women into the labour force to meet our growing production demands, and compensate for our growing military and patriotic service.

On that subject, let me say how pleased I am to announce the successful transition of all our aircraft industries into the most modern metallic methods of production. The introduction of aluminium, stressed-skin, and corrugated-metal production, will finally allow our talented designers to fully realize their ambitions.
Marlena continued her hurried shorthand scribble, transcribing the words of the President's first broadcast. His words would make the morning paper, along with a number of other stories.

La Paz Review

October 2, 1926

News In Brief

No. 8 Ground Attack Squadron becomes operational

The Number Eight ground attack squadron, completed at the beginning of the year, has become fully operational. It is one of the first units using the new Llamushin AA-3 Ground Attack aircraft, replacing the older Salamander and CL. I aircraft. Said Air Minister Gutierrez,
"This versatile aircraft, soon to mount Browning machine guns of indigenous manufacture, demonstrates that the Bolivarian Unions is emerging as an air power."

President Announces 100-line "Radio-Vision" System

Following his successful "Radio-Vision" broadcast, President de la Torre announced the expected completion by January of the 100-line prototype system. The president spoke on a 32-line broadcast "doubled" to 64-line by Russian methods.

Cascadian Goodwill Tour - Bolivaria a Port-of-Call

See Page A4 for details

---

The TB-1 Production Prototype flies alongside two earlier monoplane prototypes
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Draft Treaty leaked

The draft treaty concluding peace between Mexico and Gran Colombia has been leaked ahead of an open conference scheduled for tomorrow (March 15th) whereby the instruments will be signed. The text, in part, is included below the fold:
Une paix et une restauration générales de mission sont convenues la base par lequel :

Le Mexique convient :
- Enlevez toutes les forces militaires (terre, mer, et air) des frontières de Gran Colombie.

- Fournissez le paiement pour des dommages à l'infrastructure existante dans le territoire a tenu par voie de terre des forces de l'empire mexicain, toutes les réclamations à arbitrer par la cour des Etats-Unis des réclamations.

- Abrogez n'importe quelle réclamation au Viceroyalty de nouveau Grenade.

- Entrez dedans à un accord avec l'Espagne et le Gran Colombie de garantir la neutralité du Costa Rica.

Gran Colombie convient :
- Dénoncez publiquement par l'intermédiaire d'une publication de l'organe officiel de nouvelles de gouvernement n'importe quelle agitation pour la révolution communiste dans des nations étrangères.

- Enlevez tous les capitaux militaires de la zone de canal (à l'exclusion de l'allocation pour le stationnement des troupes dans deux points et Ciudad De Panama et de l'entretien inactif de forts Panama et Sherman).

- Mettez en gage pour maintenir la zone susmentionnée comme territoire démilitarisé sujet aux conditions suivantes :
  • Un déplacement total de toutes les fortifications (sauf forts Sherman et Panama) et d'artillerie

Déplacement de tout le rail militaire dans la zone et le transfert à la commande civile dans la division de rail de gouvernement ou les mains privées.

Le déplacement de toutes les forces militaires de constante et de réservation excepté ceux stationnées à Panama City ou deux points (mais pas sauf l'artillerie ou les unités blindées)

Interdiction des navires postés dans (mais ne passant pas à travers) la zone

Exemption permanente de poster les avions militaires de la sorte dans la zone (sauf l'entretien de secours).

Inadvertance à fournir par le conseil de canal en rapports de conformité faits deux fois par an au Mexique et en Gran Colombie.
Una paz general y la restauración de la misión están de acuerdo sobre la base mediante la cual:

México se compromete a:
- Eliminar todas las fuerzas militares (tierra, mar y aire) dentro de los límites de la Gran Colombia.

- Facilitar el pago de daños a la infraestructura existente en el territorio controlado por las fuerzas de tierra del Imperio Mexicano, todas las reclamaciones que se someterán a arbitraje por el Tribunal de Reclamaciones de los Estados Unidos.

- Derogar cualquier reclamación al Virreinato de Nueva Granada.

- Entrar en un acuerdo con España y Gran Colombia para garantizar la neutralidad de Costa Rica.

Gran Colombia se compromete a:
- Denunciar públicamente a través de una publicación del órgano oficial de prensa del gobierno cualquier agitación de la revolución comunista en naciones extranjeras.

- Eliminar todos los activos militares de la Zona del Canal (con exclusión de indemnización para estacionamiento de tropas en Colón y Ciudad de Panamá y el mantenimiento de fuertes inactivos Panamá y Sherman).

- Nos comprometemos a mantener la zona mencionada como un territorio sujeto de distensión para las siguientes estipulaciones:
  • Una eliminación total de todas las fortificaciones (con excepción de los fuertes Sherman y Panamá) y de artillería

Eliminación de todos los ferrocarriles militares dentro de la zona y la transferencia al control civil dentro de la división ferroviaria del gobierno o de manos privadas.

La eliminación de todas las fuerzas permanentes y de reserva militar, excepto los destinados en la ciudad de Panamá o Colón (pero no con excepción de artillería o de las unidades de blindados)

Prohibición de los buques de la Marina estacionado en el (pero no de paso) la zona de

De exención permanente de estacionamiento de aeronaves militares de cualquier tipo dentro de la zona (a excepción de mantenimiento de emergencia).

Supervisión a cargo de la Junta del Canal de las declaraciones de cumplimiento realizadas dos veces al año para México y Colombia.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Williamsburg Workers Weekly

Dutch Comrades strike blow against German oppressors
IN what can only be called true socialist spirit, it seems that Dutch rebels have struck a blow against the German war machine. The Imperial German Navy is claiming that mishandling of munitions is what caused the spectacular destruction of a Naval Infantrie transport. However the Williamsburg Workers Weekly has learned that Dutch freedom-fighters were behind the attack.

"I've said it before, and I'll say it again." Richard Ved of the Social democrats said in a comment. "No matter what the Kaiser or his opposition calls him, Sänger is about as Socialist as the Lord Protector, and with more imperialist tendencies. I hope our comrades in the Netherlands succeed in gaining their freedom."

Altdorf Times

Loss of control, or mere incompetence?
The Altdorf-Dusseldorf Newswire has reported that the Imperial German Navy has lost a troop transport to mishandling of ammunition. If true this would be the most spectacular accidental destruction of a naval vessel since a Schismatic BC was destroyer in 1919. On the other hand, several left-wing rags are crowing that this is the work of "freedom fighters", that, naturally, are communist. The Germans could have chosen to say that they were incompetent, or that the the Netherlands isn't filled with grateful Dutchmen(as the German government would have you believe).

Granted, they could have just admit to some kind of strike by freedom fighters, then they can still show a certain level of incompetence, at least where force-protection is concerned.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."