STGOD 2k8 Moderators

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Well, I do feel it to be somewhat arbitary, as it doesn't change anything. Are people really less willing to go into combat because they don't want to lose five 'ships' or because they don't want to lose a large percentage of their total force?

I've always figured people were unwilling to lose their numerical heaps of units, regardless of what way they were organized. It might make things more epic to call them fleets, but nothings stopping them from doing that already.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Covenant wrote:Well, I do feel it to be somewhat arbitary, as it doesn't change anything. Are people really less willing to go into combat because they don't want to lose five 'ships' or because they don't want to lose a large percentage of their total force?

I've always figured people were unwilling to lose their numerical heaps of units, regardless of what way they were organized. It might make things more epic to call them fleets, but nothings stopping them from doing that already.
Agreed, 5pts, 5 "ships" whatever. I don't want to loose something I don't have very much of.. either way, using individual shps always seems to make more sense, and easier to Rp small things the "I send a swarm of 1,000 ships worth 30pts" >_<
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

If we DO want smaller groups of larger fleets, we could decrease ship size down to 25 or so. We'd have more of them and they'd be less complex vessels, and less bulky.

You could also do something really bizzare like, I dunno, square the costs of ships so that big ones are fucking ultraexpensive and little ones are dirt cheap. It might balance out the usefulness of small ships I suppose, but I dunno.

If we do turn 'units' into 'fleets' it makes sense that they would be able to be customized. We'd really be better off with buying ships individually as single points of "Basic" ships (2 attack, 2 Hitpoints) "Attack" ships (1 Attack, 1 Hitpoint, 1 Improved Offense), and so on and so forth. Then you'd buy your thousands of 1-10 point ships and bundle them up.
A-Wing_Slash
Padawan Learner

Post by A-Wing_Slash »

Individual ships is a far better system than using massive fleets. First and foremost, with individual ship I can feel an attachement to them that I could never have with an impersonal mass of ships. When my fleet goes into battle, I want to know the names of the ships, the admiral, the captains, etc. Each ship should mean something, have some individual signifigance, or else we're just pushing fleet tokens across a map.

I don't know about you, but a dozen planets, scores upon scores of truly massive warships, and 30 more empires that are just as big seems pretty epic to me.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

SirNitram wrote:A better idea there, Covenant, is to simply replace 'ships' with 'fleets'. A 1 point fleet would be pirate chasers. A 50 point one would be the biggest collection of heavy warships most nations can field. Replace 'Oversized shipyards' with something representing an ease of creating vastly larger flotillas.
Not only is that perfect but we don't actually need to change any rules to do it, just adopt the convention. If wanted, your 50 point 'fleet' could be one megaship. You'd run into issues with proper cover so you might want some smaller fleets as well. That my friends is diversity.
:D