Discussion: Possible Testing Changes

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I should probably also raise the occasionally reoccurring idea of letting Senators have mod powers in testing (like minimods really) so that problems can be more rapidly nipped in the bud by having a huge number of people able to deal with them there.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I should probably also raise the occasionally reoccurring idea of letting Senators have mod powers in testing (like minimods really) so that problems can be more rapidly nipped in the bud by having a huge number of people able to deal with them there.
The problem with that idea is and always has been that what you'd wind up with is 32 separate moderating policies for Testing.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

RedImperator wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I should probably also raise the occasionally reoccurring idea of letting Senators have mod powers in testing (like minimods really) so that problems can be more rapidly nipped in the bud by having a huge number of people able to deal with them there.
The problem with that idea is and always has been that what you'd wind up with is 32 separate moderating policies for Testing.
Exactly. Having 32 extra mods, even in testing is bad. And even with moderators there are times a few go hogwild on testing. The point is that we keep an eye, not smash them before us or smash topics because we find it amusing to press the delete button.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Given the bias some senators have demonstrated towards Testing I can't support this. Those individuals would could not be relied upon to moderator in a fair and unbiased manner.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

*shrug* The idea has been raised before, so I just wanted to repeat it. I personally wouldn't bother to pay much attention to testing even if I had mod powers there, I'd admit.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

How about a Good Standing inclusion for prior mods? Any prior moderator who left due to work/time constraints can, if they wish to, volunteer to moderate Testing if they now have more time again, and be automatically reinstated as a testing moderator?

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:can you guys imagine what Off Topic would look like without spamworld?
You mean it would be worse than it already is?

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Exactly Darth Poe, you and I know what Off Topic was like before the birthday, aniversary, and other bullshit was moved to testing, and although some folks would like me to save some BS from testing when it gets extreme or funny enough, I still can't do that any more. (I used to at one time, and only saved the catwar thread back when I did.)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Exactly Darth Poe, you and I know what Off Topic was like before the birthday, aniversary, and other bullshit was moved to testing, and although some folks would like me to save some BS from testing when it gets extreme or funny enough, I still can't do that any more. (I used to at one time, and only saved the catwar thread back when I did.)
Fully agree. While sad, I don't need to read when someone's dog or cat died, when they are on the brink of homelessness, bouts with depression, etc. Didn't we have a rule about OT not turning into a blog? And we do have venting.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Seems a thread has stealthed it's way into my baliwack from testingstan during this discussion.....

I would like to know who moved it, like say POST in the tread in question saying your moving it from Testing to the BOTM?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin