[Psyborg] Size of the Star Wars Galixy?

Only now, at the end, do you understand.

Moderator: Moderators

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Psydolt wrote:If "Modest" does not have a significant meaning then why use the word at all? Since the descriptive word "Modest" was used, then it follows that it must be significant and important. Therefore, it is not subject to debate Vs "Lesser canon" is it?
This is one of the stupidest lines of reasoning I've ever heard.
Not that you have any way to determine what the SW galaxy is modest in relation to. The novelization describes the galaxy in comparison to-what?
All galaxies in the universe? The ones in the local supercluster? Local cluster? It's neighboring galaxies? Which is it?
Until you have higher canon evidence for what it's modestly sized in comparison to the 120,000ly stands (assuming for the moment that we accept your completely arbitrary definition of 80% in the first place).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

I think he's trying to redefine 'modest' as 'minimal' in order to make SW hyperdrive speeds, command-and-control, and logistics capabilities much more in line with something quite a bit less powerful, such as, perhaps, the Federation, maybe?
Image Image
Perseid
Padawan Learner

Re: Faulty arguments from lessor canon?

Post by Perseid »

Psyborg wrote:All of the arguments are from the lessor canon and as such they are less realivant are they not?

The cruxt of the argument boils down to the average size of galixies and how much smaller than this figure the word Modest means. I would think that to be realivant the word "modest" must mean something say less than 80% of the average size. In fact if we were to assume that a meaningfull differance would require at least one standard deviation the the word "Modest" must be slightly smaller than 78% of the average size of the total population of galixies.

If "Modest" does not have a significant meaning then why use the word at all? Since the discriptive word "Modest" was used, then it follows that it must be significant and important. Therefore, it is not subject to debate Vs "Lessor canon" is it?
Again you claim that the figures are of a lesser canon, which Ire has dealt with.

And again you claim that modest means smaller than average, when you have been shown a definition from dictionary.com, and here is the definition of modest from The Oxford English Dictionary:
The Oxford English Dictionary wrote:modest adj. 1 having or expressing a humble or moderate estimate of one's own merits or achievements. 2 diffident, bashful, retiring. 3 decorous. 4 moderate or restrained in amount, extent, severity, etc. (a modest sum). 5 (of a thing) unpretentious in appearance etc. (from Latin modestus 'keeping due measure'
Where does it say in that definition that modest is below average?
Psyborg wrote: The ICS has been shown to have other errors of fact as shown by "G" canon and is sertainly not more significant than the other "G" canon refferances. Since the figure of 120,000LY from the ICS can not possably be correct, then it must be discounted! Using any refferance from the lessor canon would automaticaly impune your argument. Therefore, the Galixy must be smaller than average size, because that is the "G" canon requirment.
Again provide evidence of this fact, if you'd even bothered to read anything on this forum (a skill you have shown little of) then you would know that when you make a statement like this you have to back it up, it's called BURDEN OF PROOF dumbshit.

Now evidence of mistakes in the ICS, evidence that the SW galaxy CANNOT be 120,000LY, and evidence that the SW galaxy is smaller than average, and of course evidence that the SW galaxy is smaller than the Milky Way.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:I think he's trying to redefine 'modest' as 'minimal' in order to make SW hyperdrive speeds, command-and-control, and logistics capabilities much more in line with something quite a bit less powerful, such as, perhaps, the Federation, maybe?
Such a thought! I wonder whether it is so. Too bad for him that at the end of ESB the SW galaxy is seen to be a spiral galaxy, which means that it is not a dwarf galaxy, since they are all irregulars...
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:I think he's trying to redefine 'modest' as 'minimal' in order to make SW hyperdrive speeds, command-and-control, and logistics capabilities much more in line with something quite a bit less powerful, such as, perhaps, the Federation, maybe?
No really that's a mean thing to say. Surely Psydolt would never do something like that. :P
BAD Einhander! No dessert for you! Keep this up and we won't let you railgun this stupid fuckh... poor misunderstood fellow poster.
:wink:
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Psyborg
Redshirt

Post by Psyborg »

Mr CorSec wrote:
Psyborg wrote:All of the arguments are from the lessor canon and as such they are less realivant are they not?

The cruxt of the argument boils down to the average size of galixies and how much smaller than this figure the word Modest means. I would think that to be realivant the word "modest" must mean something say less than 80% of the average size. In fact if we were to assume that a meaningfull differance would require at least one standard deviation the the word "Modest" must be slightly smaller than 78% of the average size of the total population of galixies.

If "Modest" does not have a significant meaning then why use the word at all? Since the discriptive word "Modest" was used, then it follows that it must be significant and important. Therefore, it is not subject to debate Vs "Lessor canon" is it?
Again you claim that the figures are of a lesser canon, which Ire has dealt with.

And again you claim that modest means smaller than average, when you have been shown a definition from dictionary.com, and here is the definition of modest from The Oxford English Dictionary:
The Oxford English Dictionary wrote:modest adj. 1 having or expressing a humble or moderate estimate of one's own merits or achievements. 2 diffident, bashful, retiring. 3 decorous. 4 moderate or restrained in amount, extent, severity, etc. (a modest sum). 5 (of a thing) unpretentious in appearance etc. (from Latin modestus 'keeping due measure'
Where does it say in that definition that modest is below average?
Psyborg wrote: The ICS has been shown to have other errors of fact as shown by "G" canon and is sertainly not more significant than the other "G" canon refferances. Since the figure of 120,000LY from the ICS can not possably be correct, then it must be discounted! Using any refferance from the lessor canon would automaticaly impune your argument. Therefore, the Galixy must be smaller than average size, because that is the "G" canon requirment.
Again provide evidence of this fact, if you'd even bothered to read anything on this forum (a skill you have shown little of) then you would know that when you make a statement like this you have to back it up, it's called BURDEN OF PROOF dumbshit.

Now evidence of mistakes in the ICS, evidence that the SW galaxy CANNOT be 120,000LY, and evidence that the SW galaxy is smaller than average, and of course evidence that the SW galaxy is smaller than the Milky Way.
From you quote of the oxford dictionary; "having or expressing a humble or moderate estimate of one's own merits or achievements. 2 diffident, bashful, retiring. 3 decorous. 4 moderate or restrained in amount, extent, severity, etc. (a modest sum). 5 (of a thing) unpretentious in appearance etc. "

Many of these statements could be construed to mean smaller than average. What are the rest of the quotes from the Websters American and all of the other Dictonarys? Who cares? Modest means lessor than the average at least as far as coloquealism is concerned. If the average size of galaxies is less than 10,000 LY agross and if such a galixy has more than one million systems in it, that tells me that that would be a good place to start. and Modest no mater how you define it does not mean 12-25 times as large as average. Such a size would not by any of the deffinitions posted so far be "Modest" would it?
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Lord Zentei wrote:
Such a thought! I wonder whether it is so. Too bad for him that at the end of ESB the SW galaxy is seen to be a spiral galaxy, which means that it is not a dwarf galaxy, since they are all irregulars...
Just for the record, that stellar body isn't the Galaxy.
Saxton's article on it.

Nevertheless, numerous other sources make it fairly clear that the SW galaxy is a regular spiral, as you say.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Psyborg wrote:Many of these statements could be construed to mean smaller than average. What are the rest of the quotes from the Websters American and all of the other Dictonarys? Who cares? Modest means lessor than the average at least as far as coloquealism is concerned. If the average size of galaxies is less than 10,000 LY agross and if such a galixy has more than one million systems in it, that tells me that that would be a good place to start. and Modest no mater how you define it does not mean 12-25 times as large as average. Such a size would not by any of the deffinitions posted so far be "Modest" would it?
Prove the average galaxy is less than 120,000 LY in diameter, fucktard.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Psyborg, you incredible asshole, I have already pointed out that the SW galaxy is seen as being a spiral galaxy. IT CANNOT BE A DWARF GALAXY!

"Modest" must mean in relation to spiral galaxies in general.

I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

SirNitram wrote:Prove the average galaxy is less than 120,000 LY in diameter, fucktard.
This should not be our challenge: the average galaxy is not relevant, since the SW galaxy is a spiral galaxy.

Psyborg
Redshirt

Post by Psyborg »

Batman wrote:
No really that's a mean thing to say. Surely Psydolt would never do something like that. :P
BAD Einhander! No dessert for you! Keep this up and we won't let you railgun this stupid fuckh... poor misunderstood fellow poster.
I did not say minimalist ever. My possition is that modest could not be used by normal people to discribe a galixy that is in the top one percent of galixies by size. 120,000LY is certainly deep into the 99 %tile and as such no rational person could call it "Modest" could they?
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Noble Ire wrote:
Lord Zentei wrote:
Just for the record, that stellar body isn't the Galaxy.
Saxton's article on it.

Nevertheless, numerous other sources make it fairly clear that the SW galaxy is a regular spiral, as you say.
Thanks for the headsup: I only mentioned that particular scene since it was the one I remembered off the top of my head.

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Lord Zentei wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Prove the average galaxy is less than 120,000 LY in diameter, fucktard.
This should not be our challenge: the average galaxy is not relevant, since the SW galaxy is a spiral galaxy.
You've a point. The average of a spiral would be more relevent. Of course, he's not going to prove anything, so this small gaff is going to be irrelevent.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Psyborg wrote:I did not say minimalist ever. My possition is that modest could not be used by normal people to discribe a galixy that is in the top one percent of galixies by size. 120,000LY is certainly deep into the 99 %tile and as such no rational person could call it "Modest" could they?
I must've missed where you provided the evidence for this assertion. Could you please do so again?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Psyborg wrote:
Batman wrote:
I did not say minimalist ever. My possition is that modest could not be used by normal people to discribe a galixy that is in the top one percent of galixies by size. 120,000LY is certainly deep into the 99 %tile and as such no rational person could call it "Modest" could they?
Unless it is a given that it is a spiral galaxy.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Psyborg wrote:I did not say minimalist ever. My possition is that modest could not be used by normal people to discribe a galixy that is in the top one percent of galixies by size. 120,000LY is certainly deep into the 99 %tile and as such no rational person could call it "Modest" could they?
PROVE IT SHITSTAIN!
Prove that 120K ly is top knots. Prove that it is in the given frame of reference.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Psyborg wrote:Modest means lessor than the average at least as far as coloquealism is concerned.
Oh really? I hate to break it to you, but the word "modest" is very often used to mean "about average". Now quit your stupid semantics whoring.
Psyborg
Redshirt

Post by Psyborg »

SirNitram wrote:
Psyborg wrote:Many of these statements could be construed to mean smaller than average. What are the rest of the quotes from the Websters American and all of the other Dictonarys? Who cares? Modest means lessor than the average at least as far as coloquealism is concerned. If the average size of galaxies is less than 10,000 LY agross and if such a galixy has more than one million systems in it, that tells me that that would be a good place to start. and Modest no mater how you define it does not mean 12-25 times as large as average. Such a size would not by any of the deffinitions posted so far be "Modest" would it?
Prove the average galaxy is less than 120,000 LY in diameter, fucktard.
See NASA web site. There are Spiral Galixies as small as 1000LY accross. The average is something less than 10,000LY so modest must be less than this.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Psyborg wrote:See NASA web site. There are Spiral Galixies as small as 1000LY accross. The average is something less than 10,000LY so modest must be less than this.
Give the link and quote the text. Frankly, you're the illiterate retard who thinks hyperbole is hyperboil(Which would be the kind of sore you are on the ass of the human race), galaxy is gilixy(Possibly some kind of space glitter), and who thinks that the fact humans can see the illuminated core of the galaxy doesn't effect your idea that the core would be dark.

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Psyborg wrote:
Batman wrote:
Considering Andromeda has been measured at nearly twice that, and Andromeda is by no means abnormal, it makes perfect sense to say that the Star Wars galaxy is modest sized, for a spiral galaxy. As for "modest sized" in comparison to all galaxies, it is quite modest in size compared to the supergiant eliptical galaxies. I'm still waiting for your evidence of tiny spiral galaxies--Triangulum is 30,000 light years across, considerably smaller than the Milky Way or Andromeda, but to cross even that in a matter of days would be phenomonal, and it contains hundreds of billions of stars. The Small Magellanic Cloud, a truly "modest" galaxy only 7000 light years across contains a billion stars, and it's completely irregular, without a hint of a spiral structure. So is the Large Magellanic Cloud, and so are all the other small galaxies in the Local Group which aren't eliptical. So where are your million star spiral galaxies, besides up your ass with the rest of your evidence?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

SirNitram wrote:
Psyborg wrote:See NASA web site. There are Spiral Galixies as small as 1000LY accross. The average is something less than 10,000LY so modest must be less than this.
Give the link and quote the text. Frankly, you're the illiterate retard who thinks hyperbole is hyperboil(Which would be the kind of sore you are on the ass of the human race), galaxy is gilixy(Possibly some kind of space glitter), and who thinks that the fact humans can see the illuminated core of the galaxy doesn't effect your idea that the core would be dark.
I am still not accepting that "modest" means "below average". It could just as easily mean more than an order of magnitude less than the largest galaxy in the local galactic cluster the SW galaxy is in.

Asking for this shitstain's evidence is playing the game he wants: this whole issue of "modest" and "average" is one big hyperbole in any case.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I'd like to also see a link to your sources to confirm that you ain't talking out of your ass here it's not after up to us to find evidence to your argument (if they can called that).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Psyborg
Redshirt

Since it is very hard to prove the negitive,

Post by Psyborg »

Why don't you prove that the average galixy is larger than 10,000LY across.
For ever astronimy web site it lists at least some info on the size distribution of galixies. For every one of 100,000LY there are 100 less than 10,000LY across. For every one of 10,000 there are 100 of ~1,000LY. You do any kind of analysis you like but the numbers will show that the average is less than 10,000LY across.
SirNitram

Re: Since it is very hard to prove the negitive,

Post by SirNitram »

Psyborg wrote:Why don't you prove that the average galixy is larger than 10,000LY across.
Because you made the claim.

D. R. 6

If you are asked for evidence to support a claim you've made, you should either produce this evidence or concede the point until such time as you can produce this evidence. People who consistently ignore requests for evidence to support their claims (particularly contentious claims) are not looked upon kindly here.
For ever astronimy web site it lists at least some info on the size distribution of galixies. For every one of 100,000LY there are 100 less than 10,000LY across. For every one of 10,000 there are 100 of ~1,000LY. You do any kind of analysis you like but the numbers will show that the average is less than 10,000LY across.
I see you're not going to support your claim, so you were, in fact, lying again.

Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Re: Since it is very hard to prove the negitive,

Post by Lord Zentei »

Psyborg wrote:Why don't you prove that the average galixy is larger than 10,000LY across.
SPIRAL GALAXIES, ASSHOLE. NOT DWARF GALAXIES.