[ryan8723] Rat bastard frat boy hits and kills grad student

Only now, at the end, do you understand.

Moderator: Moderators

Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

The National College Women Sexual Victimization (NCWSV) study found that 20–25 percent of college women are victims of an attempted or completed rape during their college careers. In 9 out of 10 cases, the victims know the perpetrators. Other studies also suggest that high levels of rape take place at fraternity houses, particularly against sorority women.
WTF kind of sick society do you fucks have over there?
This just pisses me of.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Darth Wong wrote: Disallowing binge drinking is "draconian?" Why?
First offense automatic expulsion is, yes.
Your own link says otherwise:
I was using that site as a source for a collection of data, I don't support the subjective conclusions drawn for reasons I've already stated.
If you can't keep yourself from binge drinking even if you know the consequences, you have a problem.
Are you suggesting that anyone who binge drinks against the rules in school is an alcoholic?
If you honestly can't understand how someone who knowingly risks expelment in order to have that oh-so-important binge drinking session obviously has poor judgment, you are beyond help.
I didn't say they didn't have poor judgement asshole, I said that they don't deserve to be expelled on the first offense and they deserve a proper review. It is you who is painting this as some huge black or white dillema saying that everyone who binge drinks is beyond help.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

The Kernel wrote:Are you suggesting that anyone who binge drinks against the rules in school is an alcoholic?
One in five who binge drinks are. Compared to one in twenty among the general population. Let's see.. Four hundred percent increase.. Could that be important... :roll:
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:I remember college, I still like to tell people about my friend Ben who was expelled for having a home brewing kit in his dorm. The Fratboy who was caught with a plant only got a slap on hte wrist....

yes they expelled a 22 year old medical student for owning a perfectly legal (for a person his age) beer kask. the otherone a frat boy owned a federally illegal canibus sativa....
Ugh. That is absolute bullshit. How can they get away with that?
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I'd like to say, I listened to a story about this yesterday on NPR. They focused on one of the "Frats" head members who oversaw things.

Toward the end they played audio clips from his trial where he pled guilty. I have to say I found it extremely moving. This guy was obviously emotional broken from what happened and asked for the harshest punishment given to him.

quoting:

"We thought what we where doing was about making brotherhood and friendship, it wasn't anything, it was stupid. And anyone who thinks it creates 'brotherhood' is also stupid"

So, maybe the guy was a complete ass bastard... But he at least seems to recognize his faults, so maybe there’s some hope.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
So, maybe the guy was a complete ass bastard... But he at least seems to recognize his faults, so maybe there’s some hope.
He could be making a cynical ploy to garner sympathy from the court. The public loves nothing more then a reformed sinner, but that's just my bitter side speaking.

I for one hope he gets put away for quite a long time.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

well in ben's case the administration decalreed that alcohol was the evil

and banned the production and sale on campus. Ben had been brewing wine and beer but not doing any distilling in order to pay his expenses, and the frats who were off campus but he wasn't liked his product. (yes this is a case of a middle class student trying to make ends meet at a very expensive university) The university did not have a simular ban on the controlled substance, so they just confiscated it. Ben jokingly said, so I could have turned cold meds into meth and you would have been fine with that?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

The Kernel wrote:
The Dark wrote: Oh, and Kernel? If dry campuses can't draw students, why is it that a dry campus in the same city as a larger, less expensive university, plus a second cheaper dry campus, plus a large moderately rated community college, is so in demand that it turns away one quarter of applicants? (Which, by the way, is lower than the acceptance rate at the cheaper school). And, to make things tougher on your theory, this college is in a small town midway in between two large cities with highly rated, less expensive, wet universities. The theory that a dry campus can't draw students is nothing less than bullshit.
Stawman, I never said dry campuses can't attract students.
My apologies, I misread who had written the post I was addressing. That should've been directed towards Hemlock.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:well in ben's case the administration decalreed that alcohol was the evil

and banned the production and sale on campus. Ben had been brewing wine and beer but not doing any distilling in order to pay his expenses, and the frats who were off campus but he wasn't liked his product. (yes this is a case of a middle class student trying to make ends meet at a very expensive university) The university did not have a simular ban on the controlled substance, so they just confiscated it. Ben jokingly said, so I could have turned cold meds into meth and you would have been fine with that?
That was why we were glad we had one simple policy that generally took care of such idiotic oversight: Anything in violation of Federal or State law was also a violation of campus policy. Now, we were bright enough to explicitly ban illegal drugs on campus (although I'm not sure if that was before or after a freshman was caught growing pot in a dorm room), and we only used that clause once in 30-odd cases brought before us, but we were glad it was there as a sort of catch-all in case someone managed to do something so incredibly stupid we hadn't thought anyone would do it.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

exactly and there has to be a universal rule that someone in college will do something incredably stupid that you would never have thought of them doing....

ok with me it was shelling the administration building with water balloons

we proved we could make and demenstrate a rapidly collapsable catapult....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
ryan8723
I SUPPORT DRUNK DRIVERS

Post by ryan8723 »

Darth Wong wrote:
ryan8723 wrote:
Darth Wong wrote: So you've been a moron for a long time then.
I'm in college and I like to have fun and go out.
An act which requires binge drinking in your mind?
No, but I do enjoy drinking and getting drunk. Sometimes, I get completely wasted, sometimes I don't.
I don't really see what the problem is with getting wasted since I don't really do anything really stupid that would ever put anyone else in harms' reach.
Among other problems, you are risking becoming an alcoholic. Where do you think alcoholics come from? Do you think they come from people who have something terrible happen in their lives and then crawl into a bottle, the way they do in the movies? No, they come from people who start by drinking because they think it's the way to PAR-TAY!!!!!! It's like saying that you can do cocaine now and then and it's harmless.
Do you not think that I don't understand the risks of alcoholism? It runs in my family, and has ruined many lives in my family. The difference between them and myself is that I can easily quit if I want to since I have no urge at all to drink all the time. Not to mention the fact that I absolutely do not have an addictive personality. My desire to drink comes strictly from want and nothing more. I am not risking alcoholism by any means doing what I do. Now, if I were like some of my frat brothers who drink 5 days out of the week then you might have a point. However since I drink maybe 3 times a week if that, it's not really much of a problem.
Honestly, why the fuck do you care whether or not someone drinks strictly to get drunk, it's not like it's hurting you in any way.
Who said I care? It doesn't affect me that you're a moron, I'm simply pointing out a fact.
If you didn't care what other people did with their lives, then why the fuck have you continually posted on this thread about how we should ban fraternities and sororities from colleges and that binge drinking is a major problem? If you really didn't care, you wouldn't have posted on this thread.
ryan8723
I SUPPORT DRUNK DRIVERS

Post by ryan8723 »

Wyrm wrote:
ryan8723 wrote:Honestly, why the fuck do you care whether or not someone drinks strictly to get drunk, it's not like it's hurting you in any way.
Not hurting others in any way? :lol:

Other than the fact that we have enough problems with drunk drivers who don't know that they're drunk out on the road, let alone people who drive knowing that they've just spent the night drinking for the express purpose of getting drunk? Sure, YOU might not have done it, but an estimated 2 million college students each year drive drunk, and 3 million college students each year ride with another student who drives drunk. Further, 600,000 students are assalted each year by another student who was drinking. An estimated 400,000 students a year have unprotected sex while drinking. Seventy thousand are victims of date rape, and more than 100,000 say they were too drunk to know whether the sex they had was consensual.

See, it's not the drinking itself that matters, it's what you do under the influence.

Thank you for playing, ryan.
I will admit, that I do drive home from the bars all the time. The difference between myself and others is that I know my limits well and know when to stop so that I can drive home. I can get drunk at the bar and still be able to drive home perfectly normal. The problem is not with people like me, the problem is with people who don't know their limits and don't know when to give their keys up to someone who can drive. I will do both when I need to if I am too drunk.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

ryan8723 wrote: I will admit, that I do drive home from the bars all the time.
:shock:
The difference between myself and others is that I know my limits well and know when to stop so that I can drive home. I can get drunk at the bar and still be able to drive home perfectly normal.

No, you can't. Not only is drunk driving illegal, but it is also dangerous even at low levels of intoxication.
The problem is not with people like me,

Yes, it is. The problem does lie with asstards like you who justify their drinking habits and make pretenses of being able to drive while intoxicated.
the problem is with people who don't know their limits and don't know when to give their keys up to someone who can drive.

Oh, bullshit. The whole "know your limits" thing is a complete cop-out because the problem wouldn't exist in the first place without alcohol and I have no clue how you can be using such things in an effort to justify drinking on a college campus or in defense of Greek letter organizations that frequently promote no awareness or responsibility of any kind.
I will do both when I need to if I am too drunk.

What, precisely, do you mean by "too drunk?" You obviously don't mean "intoxicated," since you previously argued that you could drive home WHILE DRUNK. This is such an absurd argument as to demonstrate conclusively that you do, in fact, have a problem with alcohol for which I advise you to seek treatment. The fact that some other members of your frat are even worse than you are does not excuse your behavior nor does it preclude the possibility that you are an alcoholic.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

ryan8723 wrote: I will admit, that I do drive home from the bars all the time. The difference between myself and others is that I know my limits well and know when to stop so that I can drive home. I can get drunk at the bar and still be able to drive home perfectly normal. The problem is not with people like me, the problem is with people who don't know their limits and don't know when to give their keys up to someone who can drive. I will do both when I need to if I am too drunk.
If after drinking at the bars and driving home you get in an accident, or hit somebody walking on the side of the road, the fact remains that you had "been drinking" (consumed a few drinks) prior to that accident occurring, and it's a fact you'll have to live with the rest of your life.

The same principle works with "having a few drinks" before a tragic accident with a child happens nearby where you are. Even if the accident would have been just as unavoidable if you had been 100% sober and alert, the fact that you had impaired your judgement and/or reaction speed at all will go against you.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

ryan8723 wrote:I will admit, that I do drive home from the bars all the time. The difference between myself and others is that I know my limits well and know when to stop so that I can drive home. I can get drunk at the bar and still be able to drive home perfectly normal. The problem is not with people like me, the problem is with people who don't know their limits and don't know when to give their keys up to someone who can drive. I will do both when I need to if I am too drunk.
Fucktards like you (yes, i called you a fucktard, shithead!) are responsible for shit like this.

I have zero respect for any asshole who drinks and then thinks he can fucking drive around without crashing. IT WILL HAPPEN EVENTUALLY.

Here's hoping the po po arrests your skank ass. :finger:
Image Image
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

ryan8723 wrote:
I will admit, that I do drive home from the bars all the time. The difference between myself and others is that I know my limits well and know when to stop so that I can drive home. I can get drunk at the bar and still be able to drive home perfectly normal.
I wonder if you'll even care when you murder someone with your car. It sounds as though you seriously deserve to have your life completely fucked up, maybe learn a little compassion for your fellow human beings that have to inhabit the same roads that you do in the process.
:D
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

ryan8723 wrote:Do you not think that I don't understand the risks of alcoholism? It runs in my family, and has ruined many lives in my family.
:shock:
You know that, and still you drink?
The difference between them and myself is that I can easily quit if I want to since I have no urge at all to drink all the time.
:lol:
No, no you can't.
Want to prove me wrong? Stop drinking for a month.
Not to mention the fact that <excuses excuses excuses>
You want to be taken seriously, stop using plays directly from Being a Drunkard for Dummies, dumbass.
If you didn't care what other people did with their lives, then why the fuck have you continually posted on this thread about how we should ban fraternities and sororities from colleges and that binge drinking is a major problem? If you really didn't care, you wouldn't have posted on this thread.
Because he think it would be smart, just like he thinks you are dumb.
I will admit, that I do drive home from the bars all the time.
:finger:
The difference between myself and others is that I know my limits well and know when to stop so that I can drive home. I can get drunk at the bar and still be able to drive home perfectly normal.
No you don't, you worthless asstard. There is no such thing as "knowing your limits" with alcohol because that's the whole fucking point of the thing: it subverts self-control.
The problem is not with people like me, the problem is with people who don't know their limits and don't know when to give their keys up to someone who can drive. I will do both when I need to if I am too drunk.
The only people in the world who aren't too drunk to drive home after drinking are fucking Catholics leaving Mass, asshole.
"Guys, don't do that"
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

ryan8723 wrote:I will admit, that I do drive home from the bars all the time. The difference between myself and others is that I know my limits well and know when to stop so that I can drive home. I can get drunk at the bar and still be able to drive home perfectly normal. The problem is not with people like me, the problem is with people who don't know their limits and don't know when to give their keys up to someone who can drive. I will do both when I need to if I am too drunk.
I hate to pile on, but really, this is too much. A friend of mine -- not so much a friend as a family acqaintance -- thought very much as you do. I've known him since we were about five years old, though I haven't really had much contact with him for about 15 years. He knew his limits, and behaved within them. Until the night he ran down a 34-year-old father of four after a party, in a classic case of pick-up truck vs. bicycle. This happened around ten years ago, and I have no idea how he can sleep without thinking about that every night. (He ended up getting a seriously reduced sentence -- something like 6 months -- thanks to a plea bargain.)

The news is filled with stories like these. The very idea that someone can believe that they can be legally intoxicated and still "okay to drive" makes me want to beat my head against the wall.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Dear sir:

In 2004, 16,694 people died because each of those 16,694 times, someone thought like you. Would you like to know the total magnitude of your amazing stupidity? Regardless, I shall show you.

16,694 deaths in a year is one person dead every half hour, just because of retarded, apologistic imbecility on par with yours. Reflect on that: one less life lived, because of someone like you. Imagine losing your mother; your sister; your brother; your father; your best friend; your wife; your girlfriend; your son; your daughter: the utter finality of death. Somebody thought like you do, and caused that grand, gaping void, a scarless, fresh wound, a deep tear, in the psyche of every person who knew one of the dead.

All because they thought exactly as you do. They drove drunk. Did they think they would kill anyone? No. Did they think they had had too much alcohol? No. In the end, they were terribly wrong: and their ultimate mistake cost a life.

A life: torn untimely from this mortal coil.

All because they thought like you do.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Surlethe. Thank you.
JADAFETWA
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Indeed, what a wonderfully blunt way of putting it.

The only time I've ever "drink drived" is when I'd had a single beer, more than 2 hours before hand.

I can't understand why people would risk it.
Ma Deuce
Sith Marauder

Post by Ma Deuce »

If I may wade in here and ask a question that no one else seems to have brought up (at least not directly): Doesn't Ryan's statement that he drives home drunk constitute a violation of PR2?
The M2HB: The Greatest Machinegun Ever Made.
HAB: Crew-Served Weapons Specialist

"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope." --P.J. O'Rourke

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." --J.S. Mill
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Ma Deuce wrote:If I may wade in here and ask a question that no one else seems to have brought up (at least not directly): Doesn't Ryan's statement that he drives home drunk constitute a violation of PR2?
This forum is not an "underground" forum. This means that you will refrain from bragging about serious violations of the law that you have committed, you will not solicit or offer pirated software of any kind, you will not incite criminal activities, etc.
Why yes, yes it is!!! :twisted:
Image Image
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Family history of alcoholism, drinks three times per week, admits to driving home from the bar. Yeah, this guy's going down at some point in the next couple years. Let's just hope he hits a tree and not another person.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

/me watches the dogpile on ryan

:shock: Holy shit! Here I was, deliberately not trying to trap this guy or unnecessarily catagorize him as a drunk asstard by trying not to include him in those statistics I gave, and the idgit walked right into it anyway! With a (potential) PR rule violation, no less!

I really hooked a winner, didn't I. :roll:
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy