Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 06:48pm
Offline
Youngling

Joined: 2004-09-06 03:41pm
Posts: 144
Adama wrote:
ok, so when I see a tie fighter with a pilot inside who is fighting for his very life, pulling the same gs as a ww2 spitfire,

Would doing the same maneuver in atmosphere and in space near an artificial moon register the same?

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 06:57pm
Offline
Infantile Brat
User avatar

Joined: 2005-04-20 01:47pm
Posts: 34
Location: adama.galactica@gmail.com
Quote:
Appealing to the author's intent is not a valid form of argument on this site


So its a valid argument everywhere except on this site? :lol: Great way to cover up all of the Lucas fuckups.

Quote:
The Millenium Falcon reaching space from Tatooine in less than a minute.
The Rebel fighters rounding Yavin in just minutes.
The TIE fighters reaching from the equator to near the pole of the DS1 in about a minute.
Luke's Xwing reaching space from the surface of Hoth in less than a minute.


Not very impressive, especially since we can clear Earth's atmophere in a few minutes with our current technology

Quote:
Right, and on screen the DS was 160 KM according to your eyes?.


no, it was the same size as everything else on my tv, several inches.


Quote:
Would doing the same maneuver in atmosphere and in space near an artificial moon register the same?


Don't try and score cheap points off me Youngling



I like the way no one even admits to the fact that Lucas modeled your super maneuverable ties on ww2 fighters :lol:

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 06:57pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-09 04:51am
Posts: 13526
Location: Looking for another drawer
Duken wrote:
Adama wrote:
ok, so when I see a tie fighter with a pilot inside who is fighting for his very life, pulling the same gs as a ww2 spitfire,

Would doing the same maneuver in atmosphere and in space near an artificial moon register the same?

Actually yes it would as what's important in that situation is speed and diameter of the turn, both of which are independent of wether or not you're in an atmosphere.
Not that we have any evidence that speed and diameter of the turn are identical as Adama refuses to provide any calculations, of course.
Note that his vaunted 'rotate 180° and back up your path in seconds' feat has been done by Wars freighters (and is apparently wide-spread enough to actually gather a name, namely Smuggler's Reverse) and was done by X-Wings at least one and a half times (Luke does in in SOTP and I think Corran Horn does it somewhere in the Rogue Squadron novels) so that is garbage to boot.



'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kids with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:00pm
Offline
Rest in Peace, Black Mage
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 04:48pm
Posts: 28367
Location: Somewhere between nowhere and everywhere
Adama wrote:
Quote:
Appealing to the author's intent is not a valid form of argument on this site


So its a valid argument everywhere except on this site? :lol: Great way to cover up all of the Lucas fuckups.


It's never a valid means of argument for logical debates, dumbass. But we can see you're a little slow.

Quote:
Quote:
The Millenium Falcon reaching space from Tatooine in less than a minute.
The Rebel fighters rounding Yavin in just minutes.
The TIE fighters reaching from the equator to near the pole of the DS1 in about a minute.
Luke's Xwing reaching space from the surface of Hoth in less than a minute.


Not very impressive, especially since we can clear Earth's atmophere in a few minutes with our current technology


So full of shit, it burns.... Now the slow climb the Saturn V makes is equal to being in geosync in less than a minute?

Quote:
Quote:
Right, and on screen the DS was 160 KM according to your eyes?.


no, it was the same size as everything else on my tv, several inches.


Quote:
Would doing the same maneuver in atmosphere and in space near an artificial moon register the same?


Don't try and score cheap points off me Youngling



I like the way no one even admits to the fact that Lucas modeled your super maneuverable ties on ww2 fighters :lol:


And atomic physics comes from Greek philosophy. Wanna hold a nuke and profess it will hurt no less than a gladius? What a freakin' low-grade Troll you are.



Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:02pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-09 04:51am
Posts: 13526
Location: Looking for another drawer
Why did I just know that Nit's post would be in this thread when I saw he posted in the HOS? :D



'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kids with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:03pm
Offline
Rest in Peace, Black Mage
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 04:48pm
Posts: 28367
Location: Somewhere between nowhere and everywhere
Batman wrote:
Why did I just know that Nit's post would be in this thread when I saw he posted in the HOS? :D


Because I have my legacy to consider!



Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:05pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2005-03-12 06:56pm
Posts: 4406
Location: Houston
Adama wrote:
Not very impressive, especially since we can clear Earth's atmophere in a few minutes with our current technology


Yeah... cause taking 5 minutes or so to reach orbit is *just* like flying beyond a planets gravity well in 60 seconds or less.

Adama wrote:
Quote:
Right, and on screen the DS was 160 KM according to your eyes?.


no, it was the same size as everything else on my tv, several inches.

Your name wouldn't happen to be Terry, would it?

Adama wrote:
I like the way no one even admits to the fact that Lucas modeled your super maneuverable ties on ww2 fighters :lol:

What he modeled them off is fucking irrelevant. What we see on the fucking screen *is* relevant. Oh, wait I forgot. You're too fucking stupid to see any evidence that contradicts your bullshit.



The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
Image

PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:08pm
Offline
Rabid Monkey Scientist
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-06 12:07am
Posts: 5739
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread
Firepower wise the Viper will be shredded. Remeber from ANH we saw Biggs savagubng the surface of the Death Star with his wing lasers.TIEs are equipped with weapons of simular power so in that matter they frag the Viper.The fact that TIEs have shields designed to stop micrometeorites means that they are somewhat more stury than the Viper.

Lets say that a Viper and A TIE have the same aceeleration it doesn`t matter from the movies we have seen that Star Wars posseses inertial dampening systems so that any manuvers the TIE makes the pilot doesn`t have to worry about passing out do to lrge G-forces.Meanwhile your Viper at 6 Gs will have to worry about the pilot passing out .



Brotherhood of the Monkey Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Beureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,
Image

I don`t need your attitude. I have one of my own!

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:10pm
Offline
Infantile Brat
User avatar

Joined: 2005-04-20 01:47pm
Posts: 34
Location: adama.galactica@gmail.com
Quote:
Why did I just know that Nit's post would be in this thread when I saw he posted in the HOS?


I don't know.


Quote:
So full of shit, it burns.... Now the slow climb the Saturn V makes is equal to being in geosync in less than a minute?


Just how long do you think it takes a rocket to leave the Earth's atmos? Give me your poo estimate.


Quote:
Wanna hold a nuke and profess it will hurt no less than a gladius


I have never read anything so shite before! Was that supposed to be some sort of intellectual comment?

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:10pm
Offline
Padawan Learner

Joined: 2004-01-30 07:13pm
Posts: 410
Location: Florida
Adama wrote:
So its a valid argument everywhere except on this site? :lol: Great way to cover up all of the Lucas fuckups.

Hardly. In the sub-culture of sci-fi tech debating, objectivity must be ensured. Using the author's intenet won't get you in that direction. Did you even read the link?

Quote:
Not very impressive, especially since we can clear Earth's atmophere in a few minutes with our current technology

You're ignoring the others. Two of them imply thousand-g acclerations.


I want to make it clear that WWII dogfights rarely occured at full throttle. There is no reason to assume that TIE fighters in combat were at full throttle, themselves.



[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/rhardy/pwned1.jpg[/img]"I like Florida. Everything is in the eighties. The temperatures, the ages, and the IQs." -George Carlin

"Every person takes the limits of their own field of vision for the limits of the world." -Arthur Schopenhauer


Picture by Snap-hiss

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:11pm
Offline
Spirit of Vengeance
User avatar

Joined: 2002-09-24 01:48pm
Posts: 27779
Location: DC...looking up from the gutters to the stars
Adama wrote:
Quote:
Appealing to the author's intent is not a valid form of argument on this site


So its a valid argument everywhere except on this site? :lol: Great way to cover up all of the Lucas fuckups.


Ah, retard who think when the author goes "I have no fucking clue" this means observation should be thrown out the window.

Once again, just yabbering in not a rebuttal.

By that estimate, I'm sure you can provide Ron Moore's precise explaintion of all matters to BSG, correct?

Adama wrote:
Quote:
The Millenium Falcon reaching space from Tatooine in less than a minute.
The Rebel fighters rounding Yavin in just minutes.
The TIE fighters reaching from the equator to near the pole of the DS1 in about a minute.
Luke's Xwing reaching space from the surface of Hoth in less than a minute.


Not very impressive, especially since we can clear Earth's atmophere in a few minutes with our current technology


Glad to see you're ignorant as well.

He said less then a minute to one minute...you have proof of a space worthy craft that does this from standing position to orbital and to breaking the pull of the planet in 60 seconds?


Adama wrote:
Quote:
Right, and on screen the DS was 160 KM according to your eyes?.


no, it was the same size as everything else on my tv, several inches.


And the Vipers are less the anywhere from a centimeters to no more then .33 meters.

Now we see, you're an idiot who failed basic scaling.


Adama wrote:
Quote:
Would doing the same maneuver in atmosphere and in space near an artificial moon register the same?


Don't try and score cheap points off me Youngling



I like the way no one even admits to the fact that Lucas modeled your super maneuverable ties on ww2 fighters :lol:


Glad to see you still using author's intent in view of you apparent lack of ability to debate beyond "nu-UH!"



MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:14pm
Offline
Space Elf Psyker
User avatar

Joined: 2004-11-22 03:49am
Posts: 8742
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.
Adama wrote:
Quote:
Appealing to the author's intent is not a valid form of argument on this site


So its a valid argument everywhere except on this site? :lol: Great way to cover up all of the Lucas fuckups.


Hey, fuckwit. If you bothered to read the announcements when you signed up you wouldn't look so stupid.

Adama wrote:
Quote:
The Millenium Falcon reaching space from Tatooine in less than a minute.
The Rebel fighters rounding Yavin in just minutes.
The TIE fighters reaching from the equator to near the pole of the DS1 in about a minute.
Luke's Xwing reaching space from the surface of Hoth in less than a minute.


Not very impressive, especially since we can clear Earth's atmophere in a few minutes with our current technology


No, we do not have a vehicle that can blast of into space like the Falcon can. If you know better, why not contact NASA. You'll be world famous.

Adama wrote:
Quote:
Right, and on screen the DS was 160 KM according to your eyes?.


no, it was the same size as everything else on my tv, several inches.


What utterly disingenious bullshit. Incidentally this tripe applies to BSG also, in case you had not noticed, tool.

Adama wrote:
Quote:
Would doing the same maneuver in atmosphere and in space near an artificial moon register the same?


Don't try and score cheap points off me Youngling



I like the way no one even admits to the fact that Lucas modeled your super maneuverable ties on ww2 fighters :lol:


And BSG was inspired by Wars, you idiot. In any case it matters not whether Lucas was inspired by WWII fighters or not: what matters is what the visuals display.

And you failed to answer the damn question.

Here's a hint: get with the board rules or fuck off. This includes canning the shit and accepting that your favourite series may not be as powerful as the opposition.



CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:20pm
Offline
Darkest Knight
Darkest Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-11 01:35am
Posts: 18212
Location: California
Adama wrote:
Quote:
Appealing to the author's intent is not a valid form of argument on this site


So its a valid argument everywhere except on this site? :lol: Great way to cover up all of the Lucas fuckups.


It's not a reasonable argument in any debate with any pretense at being logical, fucktard.

Quote:
Quote:
The Millenium Falcon reaching space from Tatooine in less than a minute.
The Rebel fighters rounding Yavin in just minutes.
The TIE fighters reaching from the equator to near the pole of the DS1 in about a minute.
Luke's Xwing reaching space from the surface of Hoth in less than a minute.


Not very impressive, especially since we can clear Earth's atmophere in a few minutes with our current technology


And? When have we ever seen the Colonial Viper do anything remotely like this?

Quote:
no, it was the same size as everything else on my tv, several inches.


Are you trying to get your ass banned?

Quote:
Don't try and score cheap points off me Youngling


Why not? Everyone else is doing it.

Quote:
I like the way no one even admits to the fact that Lucas modeled your super maneuverable ties on ww2 fighters :lol:


EVERYONE admits it. It just doesn't matter, or show anything. Your inability to grasp the shockingly obvious has earned you a recommendation to join our esteemed list of banned members.



"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:31pm
Offline
Infantile Brat
User avatar

Joined: 2005-04-20 01:47pm
Posts: 34
Location: adama.galactica@gmail.com
Quote:
What he modeled them off is fucking irrelevant. What we see on the fucking screen *is* relevant. Oh, wait I forgot. You're too fucking stupid to see any evidence that contradicts your bullshit.


Goodness me you do have poo in your head. What we see on the screens IS reworked ww2 footage, and whats so damn impressive about that?


Quote:
Ah, retard who think when the author goes "I have no fucking clue" this means observation should be thrown out the window.


No, I'm saying just the opposite. I am only observing the fight scenes from the movies, and I must say those ww2 inspired dog fights were just not that impressive. You can't take this, so you dive into a book which adds some extra zeros to all the figures, just to calm your rattled nerves down.
Some geek writing a book is likely to get it even more wrong than Lucas since he/she isn't visualy constructing the scene for a movie.

Quote:
He said less then a minute to one minute...you have proof of a space worthy craft that does this from standing position to orbital and to breaking the pull of the planet in 60 seconds?


do you even have the slightest clue how long it can take for a rocket to clear the atmos? Seriously, its not as long as you think.
Quote:
Glad to see you still using author's intent in view of you apparent lack of ability to debate beyond "nu-UH!"


Ok lets just ignore the shite performance of the ties that everyone was able to see for themselves on the movies. Yes, just ignore the visuals and lets just dive into that book with all those zeroes again and get those goosebumps going... silly man.

Quote:
No, we do not have a vehicle that can blast of into space like the Falcon can. If you know better, why not contact NASA. You'll be world famous.


We do have vehicles that can clear the Earth's atmos is a few minutes, so this 1 minute Bull about the Falcon or whatever it was, is just feeble. Why didn't it clear in 4 seconds? Anyway, when the Falcon escaped Vader during the Hoth Fight scene Luke had plenty of time to watch it slowly ascend. Where was its shite acceleration there? Or was the Falcon just taking it easy and gaining altitude at its slowest possible speed during this hectic and close encounter?

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:38pm
Offline
Jedi Council Member
User avatar

Joined: 2005-03-01 01:29pm
Posts: 1546
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Adama wrote:
Goodness me you do have poo in your head. What we see on the screens IS reworked ww2 footage, and whats so damn impressive about that?


No, we see footage inspired by WWII films. Mustangs and 109s != X-Wings and TIEs.

Quote:
do you even have the slightest clue how long it can take for a rocket to clear the atmos? Seriously, its not as long as you think.
Quote:

The STS requires about six minutes to reach space, and even longer to achieve orbit. The X-Wing and the Royal Starship from TPM achieved a greater distance in under a minute, with the goal of breaking orbit.

Quote:
Ok lets just ignore the shite performance of the ties that everyone was able to see for themselves on the movies. Yes, just ignore the visuals and lets just dive into that book with all those zeroes again and get those goosebumps going... silly man.


I don't think anyone's ignoring visuals, which don't show what you've been claiming.

Quote:
We do have vehicles that can clear the Earth's atmos is a few minutes, so this 1 minute Bull about the Falcon or whatever it was, is just feeble.


Again, it takes several minutes for current craft to achieve orbit, and the Falcon was trying to BREAK orbit. Prove Colonial Vipers can do the same.

Quote:
Why didn't it clear in 4 seconds? Anyway, when the Falcon escaped Vader during the Hoth Fight scene Luke had plenty of time to watch it slowly ascend.


Do you leave your driveway at 30 MPH?

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:38pm
Offline
Rest in Peace, Black Mage
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 04:48pm
Posts: 28367
Location: Somewhere between nowhere and everywhere
Adama wrote:
Quote:
So full of shit, it burns.... Now the slow climb the Saturn V makes is equal to being in geosync in less than a minute?


Just how long do you think it takes a rocket to leave the Earth's atmos? Give me your poo estimate.


I don't give poo estimates; I leave that for simians like you. I use the official burn data.

First stage burn: 2.5 minutes. Height: 62Km

Second stage burn: 6 minutes. Height: 185Km

Third stage burn: 2.5 minutes, starting 12 minutes after the launch from the pad. Three minutes later, parking orbit. Height: Low Earth Orbit.

15 minutes to Low Earth Orbit, not even two hundred klicks up. An X-wing gets to Geosynchronous(I beleive thirty thousand klicks up) in less than a minute.

Now, your 'poo estimate', child? :lol:

Quote:
Quote:
Wanna hold a nuke and profess it will hurt no less than a gladius


I have never read anything so shite before! Was that supposed to be some sort of intellectual comment?


If you've never read anything so shit, didn't you read your own post? It's the exact same logic as your 'Inspired by WW2 fighters, ergo no better, lololololol!' bullshit.



Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:39pm
Offline
Darkest Knight
Darkest Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-11 01:35am
Posts: 18212
Location: California
Ugh.

Adama wrote:
Quote:
What he modeled them off is fucking irrelevant. What we see on the fucking screen *is* relevant. Oh, wait I forgot. You're too fucking stupid to see any evidence that contradicts your bullshit.


Goodness me you do have poo in your head. What we see on the screens IS reworked ww2 footage, and whats so damn impressive about that?


We see lots of other things, too, you stupid dumbass. I love the way you ignore all of those things, even after they've been pointed out to you. What's the term? Selective memory? Yeah, that would describe you.

Quote:
No, I'm saying just the opposite. I am only observing the fight scenes from the movies, and I must say those ww2 inspired dog fights were just not that impressive. You can't take this, so you dive into a book which adds some extra zeros to all the figures, just to calm your rattled nerves down.


In other words, you are DELIBERATELY IGNORING massive evidence which has been posted, and which utterly destroys your bullshit argument.

Quote:
Some geek writing a book is likely to get it even more wrong than Lucas since he/she isn't visualy constructing the scene for a movie.


He's talking to people who ARE constructing scenes for the movie, and the ICS books have been used as references for later movies. Try again.

Quote:
Quote:
He said less then a minute to one minute...you have proof of a space worthy craft that does this from standing position to orbital and to breaking the pull of the planet in 60 seconds?


do you even have the slightest clue how long it can take for a rocket to clear the atmos? Seriously, its not as long as you think.


So? SW fighters achieve orbit in seconds. SW fighters can also round gas giants in the space of minutes. When was the last time you saw one of our spaceships do that?

It takes the shuttle almost 15 minutes to achieve low-Earth orbit. It takes SW ships seconds to do that. How long does it take a Colonial Viper?

Quote:
Ok lets just ignore the shite performance of the ties that everyone was able to see for themselves on the movies. Yes, just ignore the visuals and lets just dive into that book with all those zeroes again and get those goosebumps going... silly man.


I love the way you ignore the fact that the Colonial Viper has never been seen achieving anywhere near the acceleration shown in the movies.

Quote:
We do have vehicles that can clear the Earth's atmos is a few minutes, so this 1 minute Bull about the Falcon or whatever it was, is just feeble.


If that were a minimum estimate, it wouldn't show much. But it isn't, and we also have lots of other examples of starships doing things much faster.

Quote:
Why didn't it clear in 4 seconds?


You mean like the Queen's starship did in TPM when it was fleeing Naboo?

Quote:
Anyway, when the Falcon escaped Vader during the Hoth Fight scene Luke had plenty of time to watch it slowly ascend. Where was its shite acceleration there? Or was the Falcon just taking it easy and gaining altitude at its slowest possible speed during this hectic and close encounter?


The Falcon was frickin' FALLING APART during that scene (for those of us who ignored the movie). Remember how the systems on the ship weren't even starting up properly? Remember how Leia sardonically offered to get out and push? Remember when Han had to land the ship in the asteroid belt to enact repairs since the ship wasn't running well?



"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."


Last edited by Master of Ossus on 2005-04-23 07:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:39pm
Offline
Space Elf Psyker
User avatar

Joined: 2004-11-22 03:49am
Posts: 8742
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.
Adama wrote:
Quote:
What he modeled them off is fucking irrelevant. What we see on the fucking screen *is* relevant. Oh, wait I forgot. You're too fucking stupid to see any evidence that contradicts your bullshit.


Goodness me you do have poo in your head. What we see on the screens IS reworked ww2 footage, and whats so damn impressive about that?


It doesn't matter what the inspiration was. What matters is the final result. What we see on the screen is NOT WW2 fighters you braindead fuck. WW2 fighters cannot perform stunts like we see in Star Wars. Reworked WW2 footage my ass. :roll:

Adama wrote:
Quote:
Ah, retard who think when the author goes "I have no fucking clue" this means observation should be thrown out the window.


No, I'm saying just the opposite. I am only observing the fight scenes from the movies, and I must say those ww2 inspired dog fights were just not that impressive. You can't take this, so you dive into a book which adds some extra zeros to all the figures, just to calm your rattled nerves down.
Some geek writing a book is likely to get it even more wrong than Lucas since he/she isn't visualy constructing the scene for a movie.


We are not diving into the books to add the extra zeroes you complete and utter fool. Hardy has already posted examples from the movies.

Adama wrote:
Quote:
He said less then a minute to one minute...you have proof of a space worthy craft that does this from standing position to orbital and to breaking the pull of the planet in 60 seconds?


do you even have the slightest clue how long it can take for a rocket to clear the atmos? Seriously, its not as long as you think.


Back it up, tool.

Quote:
Ok lets just ignore the shite performance of the ties that everyone was able to see for themselves on the movies. Yes, just ignore the visuals and lets just dive into that book with all those zeroes again and get those goosebumps going... silly man.


HARDY HAS ALREADY NAMED EXAMPLES FROM THE MOVIES.

Quote:
Quote:
No, we do not have a vehicle that can blast of into space like the Falcon can. If you know better, why not contact NASA. You'll be world famous.


We do have vehicles that can clear the Earth's atmos is a few minutes, so this 1 minute Bull about the Falcon or whatever it was, is just feeble. Why didn't it clear in 4 seconds? Anyway, when the Falcon escaped Vader during the Hoth Fight scene Luke had plenty of time to watch it slowly ascend. Where was its shite acceleration there? Or was the Falcon just taking it easy and gaining altitude at its slowest possible speed during this hectic and close encounter?


No we do not. OTHERWISE NAME AN EXAMPLE.



CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:42pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2005-03-12 06:56pm
Posts: 4406
Location: Houston
Adama wrote:
stunning asstardery


Are you just going to ignore every example we have thrown at you that refutes you and focus on the ones that don't? Either address the fucking points we're making, without ignoring the ones that prove you wrong or shut the fuck up.

Adama wrote:
do you even have the slightest clue how long it can take for a rocket to clear the atmos? Seriously, its not as long as you think.

And it's still far longer than it takes a SW ship, of any class, to clear the atmosphere.

Adama wrote:
We do have vehicles that can clear the Earth's atmos is a few minutes, so this 1 minute Bull about the Falcon or whatever it was, is just feeble.

As has been pointed out, repeatedly, reaching orbit in a few minutes is FAR less difficult than exiting a gravity well in less than a minute. Orders of magnitude difference here fucknut.



The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
Image

PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:45pm
Offline
Space Elf Psyker
User avatar

Joined: 2004-11-22 03:49am
Posts: 8742
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.
The Spartan wrote:
Adama wrote:
We do have vehicles that can clear the Earth's atmos is a few minutes, so this 1 minute Bull about the Falcon or whatever it was, is just feeble.

As has been pointed out, repeatedly, reaching orbit in a few minutes is FAR less difficult than exiting a gravity well in less than a minute. Orders of magnitude difference here fucknut.


Ah, but wait: Wars fighters are reworked WW2 footage according to our newest troll. I would like to see this fool claim that a Spitfire can acheive escape velocity.



CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:46pm
Offline
Sith Acolyte

Joined: 2004-09-18 10:46am
Posts: 5237
Adama wrote:
Goodness me you do have poo in your head. What we see on the screens IS reworked ww2 footage, and whats so damn impressive about that?


WWII basis...

Scaled up for interstellar velocities, you idiot! By the way... 'poo in your head'? That's weak, man, weak.

Quote:
No, I'm saying just the opposite. I am only observing the fight scenes from the movies, and I must say those ww2 inspired dog fights were just not that impressive. You can't take this, so you dive into a book which adds some extra zeros to all the figures, just to calm your rattled nerves down. Some geek writing a book is likely to get it even more wrong than Lucas since he/she isn't visualy constructing the scene for a movie.


No, it's based on mathematical calculations from scaling and observation. To accelerate in the fashion that these craft do takes a tremendous amount of power.

In case you haven't figured it out yet... and you're obviously a slow child... this site is chock full of people who crunch numbers for a living, and happen to also be geeks. They aren't pulling these figures from their collective asses.

Quote:
Ok lets just ignore the shite performance of the ties that everyone was able to see for themselves on the movies. Yes, just ignore the visuals and lets just dive into that book with all those zeroes again and get those goosebumps going... silly man.


Let's just ignore the fact that beyond being an idiot, you're also pathetically incapable of delivering verbal ripostes. For the record, what you are practicing here is known as the Wall of Ignorance.

Quote:
We do have vehicles that can clear the Earth's atmos is a few minutes, so this 1 minute Bull about the Falcon or whatever it was, is just feeble. Why didn't it clear in 4 seconds? Anyway, when the Falcon escaped Vader during the Hoth Fight scene Luke had plenty of time to watch it slowly ascend. Where was its shite acceleration there? Or was the Falcon just taking it easy and gaining altitude at its slowest possible speed during this hectic and close encounter?


That it did it slower previously does not invalidate that it was demonstrated to do it more rapidly earlier. You have no conception of lower limits and basic methodology, and probably no interest in learning.

Here's a hint, you dumb cocksucker- you started a debate. Others engaged in the debate, and because discussion of the evidence, the only means by which the debate can be conducted did not fit the conclusion you liked, you start whining and throwing out all manner of evasions, red herrings, and other nonsensical tripe.

And now, the wolves shall devour you, and it will be good. Saleh.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:49pm
Offline
Youngling

Joined: 2004-09-06 03:41pm
Posts: 144
I was asking a honest question asshat.

Adama wrote:
Goodness me you do have poo in your head. What we see on the screens IS reworked ww2 footage, and whats so damn impressive about that?

Would you say the same thing if I could prove that the Xelee or Culture ship's maneauvers were based off WWII footage?

Adama wrote:
Some geek writing a book is likely to get it even more wrong than Lucas since he/she isn't visualy constructing the scene for a movie.

Yes, and his name is KJA. But I digress.

Adama wrote:
do you even have the slightest clue how long it can take for a rocket to clear the atmos? Seriously, its not as long as you think.
The point, as I see it, was that this is done casually and repeatedly. No big wheel it out of the hanger on a huge moving platform, a countdown ect. Just get in, turn it on, get clearance, and go.

Adama wrote:
Ok lets just ignore the shite performance of the ties that everyone was able to see for themselves on the movies. Yes, just ignore the visuals and lets just dive into that book with all those zeroes again and get those goosebumps going... silly man.

You want to go rocketing down that dinky trench at 1000 g's? Your funeral.

Adama wrote:
We do have vehicles that can clear the Earth's atmos is a few minutes, so this 1 minute Bull about the Falcon or whatever it was, is just feeble. Why didn't it clear in 4 seconds? Anyway, when the Falcon escaped Vader during the Hoth Fight scene Luke had plenty of time to watch it slowly ascend. Where was its shite acceleration there? Or was the Falcon just taking it easy and gaining altitude at its slowest possible speed during this hectic and close encounter?
In atmosphere craft still have to worry about ripping itself to shreds ect. It's not a rocket that goes strait up.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:51pm
Offline
Space Elf Psyker
User avatar

Joined: 2004-11-22 03:49am
Posts: 8742
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.
Duken wrote:
Adama wrote:
We do have vehicles that can clear the Earth's atmos is a few minutes, so this 1 minute Bull about the Falcon or whatever it was, is just feeble. Why didn't it clear in 4 seconds? Anyway, when the Falcon escaped Vader during the Hoth Fight scene Luke had plenty of time to watch it slowly ascend. Where was its shite acceleration there? Or was the Falcon just taking it easy and gaining altitude at its slowest possible speed during this hectic and close encounter?
In atmosphere craft still have to worry about ripping itself to shreds ect. It's not a rocket that goes strait up.


Nonetheless, the Falcon shows far better performance than rockets we posess. Acheiving escape velocity in under a minuite is a lot harder than reaching orbit in several minutes as has been pointed out.



CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:52pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-09 04:51am
Posts: 13526
Location: Looking for another drawer
Valen, is this fucktard trying to get banned?
Has Adama countered one single point with anything beyond 'I don't believe it so nyah'?



'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kids with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2005-04-23 07:54pm
Offline
Space Elf Psyker
User avatar

Joined: 2004-11-22 03:49am
Posts: 8742
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.
Batman wrote:
Valen, is this fucktard trying to get banned?
Has Adama countered one single point with anything beyond 'I don't believe it so nyah'?


Looks that way. Some people prefer to go with a bang to conceding an argument about their steadfast beleifs.

When is the poll starting? :twisted:



CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group