[Colonel_Maybourne] Greece taking a beating

Only now, at the end, do you understand.

Moderator: Moderators

Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

As a country very similar to Greece in population size and economy, Portugal has had no major problems in organizing the Euro, and, more importantly, the Expo 98, which required infrastructures on the same level as the Olympics. I'm upset with this Greek confusion because it will eventually be an obstacle for a future Lisbon bid to host the Olympics, and of countries of similar csize.
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Robert Treder wrote:And last I checked, China's just slightly more rich and powerful than Greece.
Greeks GNI is 12 times bigger than China's, it's a rich enough country to host anything, in case you didn't know. Money wasn't the problem, and Greece and the EU in general are powerful enough, no? The problem was the Greek desorganization, and the fact that they spent three years without moving a finger after being given the games.
So pardon me if my logic rather than my sentimentality tells me that China was a good host choice, and that Greece was a poor one.
It wasn't a bad choice in the beginning, they should have been bitchlapped by the Ol. comittee in the beggining, after being clear they weren't delivering what they promised.
Last edited by Colonel Olrik on 2004-08-18 04:51am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

Colonel Olrik wrote:As a country very similar to Greece in population size and economy, Portugal has had no major problems in organizing the Euro, and, more importantly, the Expo 98, which required infrastructures on the same level as the Olympics. I'm upset with this Greek confusion because it will eventually be an obstacle for a future Lisbon bid to host the Olympics, and of countries of similar csize.
Although it's a major one, it's true that money isn't the only factor which determines success as a host. After all, Norway was able to put on a great winter Olympics recently, and they have a smaller GDP than Greece.
In addition to lack of cash and infrastructure, Greece seems to have a certain extra crappiness, due to whatever complicated reasons.
Greece is a good country with a wonderful history, and it's a nice thought to bring the Olympics back to them, but they unfortunately were not the ideal choice given the current state of the world, and it's a shame the IOC didn't realize that (although it goes without saying that a lot of what the IOC does is a shame).

Hopefully, when Lisboa and cities of similar circumstance make their bids, they'll be able to lobby successfully by using evidence such as you presented.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Colonel_Maybourne
BANNED

Post by Colonel_Maybourne »

Yes, definitely a racist hatfucker. The hammer is going down. Goodbye, "european brethren".
Magical post Colonel Olrik. Everyone take note! If you ever need to see a perfect example of how to post, then look no further. It has everything! An opinion. Detailed explanations behind his thinking. And so many sources from which he got his information. The post was magnificent!

"YAH!" (as T-Almeida would say)

Fucking stupid bitch
Good start. Do go on.
It's not sentimentality that's going to allow the Chinese to out-perform the Greeks as hosts, it's money. Like it or fucking not, the Olympics are no longer a small, amateur-ish event, and it takes major bank and infrastructure to host them. And last I checked, China's just slightly more rich and powerful than Greece.
China is more powerful than Greece. China does have the resources to make the games bigger and better than the ones in Greece right now. But wait a second...who said they didn't?
So pardon me if my logic rather than my sentimentality tells me that China was a good host choice
Yes Mr Treder, China is a fine choice for the Olympic games. Where did you ever get the idea that anyone said otherwise?
and that Greece was a poor one
...You know. I was watching the games earlier today, and I damn well enjoyed what I saw. The place seems really nice, and the games are running smoothly. A poor choice it was not.
Here is a little advise from the Colonel: try looking at the world with your own eyes. Not the "eyes" that Fox news or Sky news have given you.
Do you think that China is not one of the world's greatest civilizations?
My my, you really are S-stirring today arn't you Mr Treder. Where in my post did I ever put China down?
China is a great country, and highly respectable if you ask me.

And finally a question for D-Wong:

Since I have given you an explanation as to why there was no racism ever intended in my post, could you clarify which part you found offensive? And also why did you find it offensive?
That is all... for now

The inquisition continues....
I'm a stupid trolling racist asshole and my E-mail address is maybourne_nid@blueyonder.co.uk
AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Post by AdmiralKanos »

Wrong answer, asshole. Let me explain to Mr. Imbecile why it's racist:

1) He assumes that I'm Chinese. I'm not. My mother came from Taiwan, and Taiwan and China are not exactly the best of friends, motherfucker. I guess all Asians look the same in his world.

2) He assumes that if I were of Chinese ethnic descent, I would have some particular loyalty to China. Again, this is a racist assumption.

More to the point, he refuses to apologize for his racist remarks. Goodbye, motherfucker.
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Colonel_Maybourne wrote:
Yes, definitely a racist hatfucker. The hammer is going down. Goodbye, "european brethren".
Magical post Colonel Olrik. Everyone take note! If you ever need to see a perfect example of how to post, then look no further. It has everything! An opinion. Detailed explanations behind his thinking. And so many sources from which he got his information. The post was magnificent!
I don't need to explain my reasoning as long as your post is there for everyboday to see, fucker. Anyone who thinks that "blood" or "race" matters a shit when discussing loyality to a country or someone's ideas is being openly racist.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Vympel wrote:
Durandal wrote:Dammit, where's Crown when I need to mock him?
Well, I'm Greek, but I was always pessimistic about the games, so yeah.
Maybe Italy should invade Greece, since they obviously can't handle it on their own. :D
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Durandal wrote:Maybe Italy should invade Greece, since they obviously can't handle it on their own. :D
Turkey: "WE'LL HELP!" :D
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Just to finish crushing Colonel May-Burn, this is from SI.com.
SI.com wrote:For instance, when somebody asked why they didn't finish paving all the walking areas near the venues, leaving only dirt, the Athens bigwigs didn't just fess up and go, "Well, we never quite got around to it." No, instead, they declared, "We wanted to recreate the feel of the Ancient Olympic Games." Do you just love it? There were plenty of witnesses on Day One of the doobie-shaped torch going out for a reported 20 minutes. The Melbourne (Australia) Herald Sun even ran a picture of it, colder than a popsicle. Did the Greeks admit it? No, sir. "It was not out," a spokesman with the Athens Organizing Committee said. "We were simply testing the levels." And the level we were testing is zero. It's like the health club at our hotel. It's beautiful, except that there's no ventilation of air of any kind, nor water, nor towels to grab. But when I mentioned it to the man at the front desk, he smiled and says, "But, my friend, isn't the point to sweat?" I can't imagine what their excuse is going to be for still having scaffolding up on the Parthenon. Here we are at what is arguably the biggest undertaking in the history of mankind, and they still don't have it ready. Not to be nitpicky, but if the Olympics isn't a big enough deal to take off the old scaffolding, what is? The big podiatrists' convention coming in October? I can hear their excuse now. "You see," they'll say. "The guy who was supposed to take it down was in this motorcycle accident, and ..."
The Olympic torch went out because the Greeks fucked up. That's okay, though, since the games were on-time. :roll:
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."