[Star Wars 888] Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Only now, at the end, do you understand.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Bakustra
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2822
Joined: 2005-05-12 07:56pm
Location: Neptune Violon Tide!

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Bakustra » 2010-10-15 07:34pm

Phantasee wrote:Has he always been this upset about it? He's not going to go all Columbine on us, is he?


That is a sick statement, Mr. Phantasee, and I am ashamed at you for carrying my joke to the next level. Get your own material, man, get your own material! :)

User avatar
Formless
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3441
Joined: 2008-11-10 08:59pm
Location: the beginning and end of the Present

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Formless » 2010-10-15 07:38pm

Bakustra wrote:
Phantasee wrote:And Formless: what the fuck is your point?

His point, as I understand it, is that Testing is home to a clique, presumably because some people who post in Testing turned down his request to sit at their lunch table or something.

More like this. I'll use Marcus Aurelius' analogy. Despite being part of an open forum rather than a private usergroup or site, its treated by its members as an exclusive club with high standards. If they are not met, you can't apparantly participate without it turning into a flamefest (despite people claiming they take nothing seriously there). Pardon me for trying to have a little fun.

Phantasee wrote:Has he always been this upset about it? He's not going to go all Columbine on us, is he?

I live in Colorado. I know people who were affected by that little incident. Go fuck yourself with a tire iron, asshole.

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5774
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: I have returned

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Phantasee » 2010-10-15 07:38pm

Legitimate fear, man. He's accusing people of being in some 'clique' and he's being all aggressive when we try to tell him he's not being very chill and fun. We're not all out to get him, but we can't help him until he helps himself, y'know?

User avatar
Formless
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3441
Joined: 2008-11-10 08:59pm
Location: the beginning and end of the Present

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Formless » 2010-10-15 07:41pm

Phantasee wrote:He's accusing people of being in some 'clique' and he's being all aggressive when we try to tell him he's not being very chill and fun.

I'll believe it when you stop behaving like one. This thread is more than enough evidence of what I'm talking about.

Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner
Posts: 322
Joined: 2010-08-10 07:55pm

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Star Wars 888 » 2010-10-15 07:41pm

For those of you telling me that this is supposed to be a joke:

1. That still doesn't have anything to do with me allegedly being a "troll"

2. I do have a sense of humor. Some threads are meant to be joke threads. This thread I made with the intention of being a serious DEBATE thread. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have jokes in this thread, but when your entire "argument" is basically a list of jokes with no substance, it isn't appropriate for a DEBATE thread. For a joke thread? Sure, but not for a DEBATE thread.

User avatar
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight
Posts: 965
Joined: 2007-02-15 11:56am
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby SilverWingedSeraph » 2010-10-15 07:43pm

I'd just like to make the statement that every time Dalton has posted in this thread I've fallen in love with him just a little bit more. I'll go back to sitting in the audience and watching now, I don't want to miss any of the action.

User avatar
Bakustra
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2822
Joined: 2005-05-12 07:56pm
Location: Neptune Violon Tide!

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Bakustra » 2010-10-15 07:44pm

Formless wrote:
Bakustra wrote:
Phantasee wrote:And Formless: what the fuck is your point?

His point, as I understand it, is that Testing is home to a clique, presumably because some people who post in Testing turned down his request to sit at their lunch table or something.

More like this. I'll use Marcus Aurelius' analogy. Despite being part of an open forum rather than a private usergroup or site, its treated by its members as an exclusive club with high standards. If they are not met, you can't apparantly participate without it turning into a flamefest (despite people claiming they take nothing seriously there). Pardon me for trying to have a little fun.


Dude, in the regular forums, if you make stupid statements, you generally get told so. If you get mad about it, people will flame you. In Testing, if you're not all that funny, people will tell you so. If you get mad about it, people will flame and rib and, as you said, bukkake all over you while laughing hysterically. Your reaction was pretty poor, so people kept needling you on it. You just need to accept that sometimes, the joke falls a little flat, and that you need to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again later.

But on the other hand, at least you get it better than this dude:
Star Wars 888 wrote:For those of you telling me that this is supposed to be a joke:

1. That still doesn't have anything to do with me allegedly being a "troll"

2. I do have a sense of humor. Some threads are meant to be joke threads. This thread I made with the intention of being a serious DEBATE thread. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have jokes in this thread, but when your entire "argument" is basically a list of jokes with no substance, it isn't appropriate for a DEBATE thread. For a joke thread? Sure, but not for a DEBATE thread.


What are you talking about, this was Testing, and now it is the HoS. This isn't HIStory or something.

User avatar
muse
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1661
Joined: 2003-11-26 07:04pm
Location: 43° 34' 30" N, 79° 33' W

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby muse » 2010-10-15 07:47pm

Star Wars 888 wrote:2. I do have a sense of humor. Some threads are meant to be joke threads. This thread I made with the intention of being a serious DEBATE thread. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have jokes in this thread, but when your entire "argument" is basically a list of jokes with no substance, it isn't appropriate for a DEBATE thread. For a joke thread? Sure, but not for a DEBATE thread.


yeah yeah yeah whatever. You intended for this to be a debate thread, it was subverted into a joke thread, trying to force it back doesn't work so just go with the flow and roll with it. It's easier that way, and your butt won't hurt as much.

User avatar
General Zod
Never Shuts Up
Posts: 29055
Joined: 2003-11-18 03:08pm
Location: The Clearance Rack
Contact:

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby General Zod » 2010-10-15 07:48pm

Bakustra wrote:What are you talking about, this was Testing, and now it is the HoS. This isn't HIStory or something.


It started in OT but got quickly punted to testing where it degenerated into the lovely whine sampling you see now.

User avatar
Bakustra
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2822
Joined: 2005-05-12 07:56pm
Location: Neptune Violon Tide!

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Bakustra » 2010-10-15 07:49pm

General Zod wrote:
Bakustra wrote:What are you talking about, this was Testing, and now it is the HoS. This isn't HIStory or something.


It started in OT but got quickly punted to testing where it degenerated into the lovely whine sampling you see now.


See, Formless, you're not the only guy who makes the odd misstep.

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5774
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: I have returned

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Phantasee » 2010-10-15 07:49pm

Bakustra wrote:What are you talking about, this was Testing, and now it is the HoS. This isn't HIStory or something.


Oh, that was nice.

User avatar
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 24780
Joined: 2004-01-02 07:04pm
Location: Industrial armpit of the US Midwest
Contact:

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Broomstick » 2010-10-15 07:50pm

General Zod wrote:
Star Wars 888 wrote:The latter and former. Clearly what you don't understand is that this was supposed to be a serious thread, not a joke thread.

The problem with your whole thread is that it implies people here actually believe the rumors to begin with. Since nobody has so much as made a thread about him since he died frankly I'm baffled why you're even bothering and wondering why you think anyone at all on here would take your thread seriously to begin with. The fact that you intended it to be serious counts for precisely fuck all.

It's also pretty harsh in light of a thread like this which has a calm and largely non-judgmental discussion of Mr. Jackson (among others) where we even discussed some of the possible reasons for his odd behavior which, in context, made perfect sense.

We are certainly capable of a serious discussion about MJ, but we're not going to take starry-eyed unquestioning hero worship seriously.
Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid. - Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice


A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner
Posts: 322
Joined: 2010-08-10 07:55pm

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Star Wars 888 » 2010-10-15 07:51pm

Bakustra wrote:
What are you talking about, this was Testing, and now it is the HoS. This isn't HIStory or something.


Except that I intended for this to be in Off Topic, which seemed to still have some sort of intelligence (although maybe I should have put it in News and Politics). It was moved to Testing NOT BY ME (since I'm not a mod) and eventually to the Hall of Shame.

Basically, in testing, as you yourself seem to agree with, things are reversed; trying to debate rationally gets laughed at, even when the thread is supposed to be a serious thread that was not made with the intention of being in testing.

In other words, my behavior was mockable in the context of the joke of a section called "testing" (which is basically Off Topic on steroids), but I didn't intend for it to go in testing.





Broomstick wrote:It's also pretty harsh in light of a thread like this which has a calm and largely non-judgmental discussion of Mr. Jackson (among others) where we even discussed some of the possible reasons for his odd behavior which, in context, made perfect sense.

We are certainly capable of a serious discussion about MJ, but we're not going to take starry-eyed unquestioning hero worship seriously.



That's actually a good point (although I'm not sure if you intended to support me with this point): my thread topic is reasonable, as shown when Mike Wong and others had a rational discussion.

However, IDK why you call my thread "hero worship". I admitted that Michael Jackson was a strange (strange might be a strong word, maybe odd) person, but that he was a good person (in addition to a very talented performer) and that the rumors directed at him were for the most part bullshit (especially some of the more insane ones such as him being a woman or even him being an alien).
Last edited by Star Wars 888 on 2010-10-15 07:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Formless
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3441
Joined: 2008-11-10 08:59pm
Location: the beginning and end of the Present

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Formless » 2010-10-15 07:51pm

Bakustra wrote:Your reaction was pretty poor, so people kept needling you on it. You just need to accept that sometimes, the joke falls a little flat, and that you need to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again later.

If you look back, you might notice that I did try and roll with it several times, starting with "Huh. I guess that would explain a lot." What, was that too subtle or something?

But on the other hand, at least you get it better than this dude:

Indeed, I at least can tell the difference between jokes and actual claims of fact. Of course, that's not saying much I'll agree. :P

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5774
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: I have returned

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Phantasee » 2010-10-15 07:52pm

Formless wrote:
Phantasee wrote:He's accusing people of being in some 'clique' and he's being all aggressive when we try to tell him he's not being very chill and fun.

I'll believe it when you stop behaving like one. This thread is more than enough evidence of what I'm talking about.

Who else is in my 'clique'?


PS Sorry about the Columbine comment. It was a pretty common 'thing' we tossed around when I was in school (partly to make distasteful jokes as teens do, and partly to remind everyone).

User avatar
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
Posts: 22374
Joined: 2002-07-03 06:16pm
Location: New York, the Fuck You State
Contact:

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Dalton » 2010-10-15 07:54pm

Star Wars 888 wrote:If you're going to be a despot, you might as well be a benevolent one.

Don't presume to dictate to me how I should do my job.

Star Wars 888 wrote:Strawman. I wasn't comparing you to a slave owner. I was explaining how the "self evident" argument is a logical fallacy in which one can basically use to make any random absurd claim (such as a race being inferior, the world being flat, the sky being red or some other ridiculous claim) and then claim that it's "self evident" (or "obvious").

Ah, I see, more lawyering. Do you think this helps your case? Do you believe that trying to claim the Admin is using a logical fallacy will make his ban-power useless? I think you'll find that your tactics here are less than useless, because this isn't where I have to prove that you are a trolling douchebag. That's already been proven in other threads, and based upon the evidence that I've seen, I have rendered judgment. See, this here is where I tell you that you are going to be banned, very soon, because you think you can throw the rules in my face and continue trolling this board.

Star Wars 888 wrote:Mike also states that he tolerates flaming, but that you have to actually back up your claims.

Back it up. Show me the rule. You want to be a lawyer? You want to put words in Mike's mouth? Show your evidence.

Star Wars 888 wrote:Please just explain to me how I was trolling. I made a perfectly reasonable thread and started out with listing reasonable and valid arguments with the noble intention of clearing (well, his name has already been largely cleared for most people) someone's name. If you don't like it, then close it. I'm still new here, so give me a break. However, to keep on calling me a troll without providing any evidence for it is hypocritical in nature.

Oh please, enough of your pithy "woe is me" martyr crap. You've been a net-negative drain on the collective IQ of this board since you joined. That 29 page thread I linked to above, again, had more than one moderator call for your head, a part I noticed you conveniently ignored. In fact, the more "noble" and self-sacrificing you become, the more I am going to flame and insult you for being an obnoxious, sniveling toadie.
Image
Image
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

User avatar
Formless
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3441
Joined: 2008-11-10 08:59pm
Location: the beginning and end of the Present

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Formless » 2010-10-15 07:56pm

Phantasee wrote:Who else is in my 'clique'?

Don't play this feigned ignorance game with me, pal. We both know about "New Testingistan," and we both know who here goes there.

PS Sorry about the Columbine comment. It was a pretty common 'thing' we tossed around when I was in school (partly to make distasteful jokes as teens do, and partly to remind everyone).

Apology accepted.

User avatar
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 24780
Joined: 2004-01-02 07:04pm
Location: Industrial armpit of the US Midwest
Contact:

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Broomstick » 2010-10-15 07:56pm

Star Wars 888 wrote:1. That doesn't prove anything. Surely are you claiming that every rich guy is bad based on that logic?
2. Bill Gates is also a good person (based on what we can tell), and MJ donated a larger percentage of his money than Gates did. Also, Michael Jackson advocated for change in his songs.

And Bill Gates is trying to cure fucking malaria - that doesn't make him a saint.

Is a rich person who donates money better than a rich person who doesn't donate? Well, maybe, certainly in the area of charity they are, but one can be an asshole AND give generously to various causes. They aren't mutually exclusive.

4. My point is that those that actually met him typically have a positive view of him.

Except, of course, those who knew who then turned around and accused him of child molestation... of course, those might have been bad people intent on blackmail but that still overturns your assertion that to know him is to love him.
Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid. - Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice


A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

User avatar
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2399
Joined: 2002-09-20 11:15am

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Spoonist » 2010-10-15 07:56pm

Star Wars 888 wrote:Except that I intended for this to be in Off Topic, which seemed to still have some sort of intelligence (although maybe I should have put it in News and Politics). It was moved to Testing NOT BY ME (since I'm not a mod) and eventually to the Hall of Shame.
Here is an actual, non satire, tip to the wannabee-newbee.
If your topic was moved to testing by a mod, stop posting in it, you can only make it worse.
which is the same tip I'll give you now, stop posting, you can only make it worse.


Edit: oops, too late, didn't see Dalton's post behind Broomy's.
Last edited by Spoonist on 2010-10-15 07:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
General Zod
Never Shuts Up
Posts: 29055
Joined: 2003-11-18 03:08pm
Location: The Clearance Rack
Contact:

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby General Zod » 2010-10-15 07:56pm

Bakustra wrote:
General Zod wrote:
Bakustra wrote:What are you talking about, this was Testing, and now it is the HoS. This isn't HIStory or something.


It started in OT but got quickly punted to testing where it degenerated into the lovely whine sampling you see now.


See, Formless, you're not the only guy who makes the odd misstep.


I agree, your post wasn't very funny. :P

User avatar
Bakustra
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2822
Joined: 2005-05-12 07:56pm
Location: Neptune Violon Tide!

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Bakustra » 2010-10-15 07:58pm

Star Wars 888 wrote:
Bakustra wrote:
What are you talking about, this was Testing, and now it is the HoS. This isn't HIStory or something.


Except that I intended for this to be in Off Topic, which seemed to still have some sort of intelligence (although maybe I should have put it in News and Politics). It was moved to Testing NOT BY ME (since I'm not a mod) and eventually to the Hall of Shame.

Basically, in testing, as you yourself seem to agree with, things are reversed; trying to debate rationally gets laughed at, even when the thread is supposed to be a serious thread that was not made with the intention of being in testing.

In other words, my behavior was mockable in the context of the joke of a section called "testing" (which is basically Off Topic on steroids), but I didn't intend for it to go in testing.


Oh, man, you have no idea how wrong you are. I'm half expecting Captain EO to moonwalk on down and smack you with his gloved hand for this.

Testing is a humor forum, generally. There are serious threads, and serious moments, and serious, intelligent discussion, sometimes, but in general it's the 24-hour comedy club for SDNet to blow off some steam and laugh a little. (Thanas' Germaine O'Pressa act has been running for a while now, and it never gets old.) Now, the thing is, this was moved there for a reason. There was one reason given by the moderators above, but here's the secret reason I believe to exist. They moved it there so that you could grow a sense of humor. That has failed, as your inability to get any joke involving Jack-o has shown. Now it's been moved as desperate measures, but this stage of treatment appears to be failing. The post above shows what the third stage will be: excision.

User avatar
Bakustra
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2822
Joined: 2005-05-12 07:56pm
Location: Neptune Violon Tide!

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Bakustra » 2010-10-15 08:00pm

Formless wrote:
Phantasee wrote:Who else is in my 'clique'?

Don't play this feigned ignorance game with me, pal. We both know about "New Testingistan," and we both know who here goes there.

PS Sorry about the Columbine comment. It was a pretty common 'thing' we tossed around when I was in school (partly to make distasteful jokes as teens do, and partly to remind everyone).

Apology accepted.


Jesus Christ, man, just let it go.

General Zod wrote:
Bakustra wrote:
See, Formless, you're not the only guy who makes the odd misstep.


I agree, your post wasn't very funny. :P


Yeah, well, at least I've never used the terms "epic fail" or "lurk moar". :smuggo:

User avatar
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 24780
Joined: 2004-01-02 07:04pm
Location: Industrial armpit of the US Midwest
Contact:

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Broomstick » 2010-10-15 08:00pm

Dalton wrote:
Star Wars 888 wrote:A single mod "called me out", but failed to give any evidence to support his/her claim. I do not believe people who can't back up their claims. If you have something against me, prove it and I'll believe you. But just saying it doesn't have any substance.

There's this secret, magical place where the moderators meet and talk about all the trolls and fuckwits they have to deal with. Sadly, you can't see it, since you're one of those trolls/fuckwits we talk about and thus I can't go about giving you proof that there are several Moderators who want to ban your sorry ass. But hey, if you want proof, fine: would any Moderators who would like to see Mr. "Show Me Evidence That I Am A Trolling Fuckwit" banned, please feel free to speak up.

Does that include mini-mods with a limited scope?

You know, prior to this thread I didn't know who 'TardWars### was and thus would have been neutral but the needle on my tolerance meter keeping sliding towards "ban" with every additional page.
Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid. - Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice


A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5774
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: I have returned

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Phantasee » 2010-10-15 08:01pm

Formless wrote:
Phantasee wrote:Who else is in my 'clique'?

Don't play this feigned ignorance game with me, pal. We both know about "New Testingistan," and we both know who here goes there.

I'm not your pal, friend.

As for this "New Testingstan," I don't know what you're talking about. So what if some people from here post there? I know several users that post on Spacebattles, and I'm pretty sure a bunch of you fucking assholes post on YouTube video comments (fuck you!). What does that have to do with anything I do here?

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5774
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: I have returned

Re: Dispelling rumors about Michael Jackson

Postby Phantasee » 2010-10-15 08:02pm

Man, Bakustra, you're an even bigger MJ fan than I am! In fact, you've probably got me and SW88 beat!


Return to “Parting Shots”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest