If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy....

Only now, at the end, do you understand.

Moderator: Moderators

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy....

Post by PunkMaister »

Let's say someone finds an Aurora class star ship with the hyperdrives intact, a cargo of ZPMs some fully functional others not etc, Drones the works. What could they do with it? Would they even recognize the power they have at their fingertips? Let's say it's you, you are a privateer. and find this treasure trove only you have no previous knowledge of the technology before you and what it does, what do you do?
ImageImage

Visit my site:
------------------------------------------
http://scifiverse.tk/
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy....

Post by Sky Captain »

Drones might be the most useful of all that if they can bypass SW shields and penetrate hulls. ZPM`s could be useful for boosting available power to ships too small to mount large reactors allowing to mount more powerful weaponry with better rate of fire than otherwise would be possible.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister »

Sky Captain wrote:Drones might be the most useful of all that if they can bypass SW shields and penetrate hulls. ZPM`s could be useful for boosting available power to ships too small to mount large reactors allowing to mount more powerful weaponry with better rate of fire than otherwise would be possible.
Do not forget that the package includes a fully functional Intergalactic type Ancients hyperdrive. :mrgreen: That while as versatile as the Asgard it is far superior to SW hyperdrive in the sense that it is not affected by gravitational shadows while in transit. 8) I imagine they would have to modify interdictors to create some kind of effect similar but less damaging to that of the Ataro device used against the Wraith's hyperdrive in SG: Atlantis.
ImageImage

Visit my site:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Why would drones be able to bypass Wars shields? And while ZPMs are no doubt incredibly powerful by modern standards and for their size, how powerful exactly ARE they? Has anybody ever managed to quantify the bloody things?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

PunkMaister wrote:
Sky Captain wrote:Drones might be the most useful of all that if they can bypass SW shields and penetrate hulls. ZPM`s could be useful for boosting available power to ships too small to mount large reactors allowing to mount more powerful weaponry with better rate of fire than otherwise would be possible.
Do not forget that the package includes a fully functional Intergalactic type Ancients hyperdrive. :mrgreen: That while as versatile as the Asgard it is far superior to SW hyperdrive in the sense that it is not affected by gravitational shadows while in transit. 8) I imagine they would have to modify interdictors to create some kind of effect similar but less damaging to that of the Ataro device used against the Wraith's hyperdrive in SG: Atlantis.
Do Auroras have intergalactic hyperdrive? I was always under impression they only have hyperdrive suitable for travel within the galaxy and it would take a lot of time to cross a void between the galaxies with Aurora. But you are right ancient and generally Stargate hyperdrives are superior with their ability to jump while in a gravity well and go through solid objects. Also Stargete hyperdrives may possibly require less power to sustain hyperflight than SW ones.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister »

Sky Captain wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:
Do Auroras have intergalactic hyperdrive? I was always under impression they only have hyperdrive suitable for travel within the galaxy and it would take a lot of time to cross a void between the galaxies with Aurora. But you are right ancient and generally Stargate hyperdrives are superior with their ability to jump while in a gravity well and go through solid objects. Also Stargete hyperdrives may possibly require less power to sustain hyperflight than SW ones.
I think they come in 2 varieties this one has the IG type otherwise it would have never find it's way to the SW galaxy in the first place, still even if it where just the intragalactic type it would still have the gravitational shadow while in transit bypass advantage over SW hyperdrive.

To the one that posted the question about just how much power does a ZPM has well that is a darn good question! We know that they are powerful but no one has quantified as to how, we know for example that one that had been tampered with could have destroyed our entire solar system but I believe that was the "dust" it had been tampered with and not the ZPM itself. Still that is something that belongs in a different topic and thread entirely.
ImageImage

Visit my site:
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Batman wrote:Why would drones be able to bypass Wars shields? And while ZPMs are no doubt incredibly powerful by modern standards and for their size, how powerful exactly ARE they? Has anybody ever managed to quantify the bloody things?
I ran some calcs, though I now believe them to be too low by about 50%, that gave one an output of about 8 megatons per second.

This was derived by crudely estimating the volume of Atlantis, observing that it is less dense than water (it rises from the ocean) and that three are required to accellerate it to a considerable speed in a short period of time (crudely estimated from the takeoff in Rising).

A ZPM would compete with wars reactors for starfighters. That's about it, though.
Sky Captain wrote:Do Auroras have intergalactic hyperdrive? I was always under impression they only have hyperdrive suitable for travel within the galaxy and it would take a lot of time to cross a void between the galaxies with Aurora. But you are right ancient and generally Stargate hyperdrives are superior with their ability to jump while in a gravity well and go through solid objects. Also Stargete hyperdrives may possibly require less power to sustain hyperflight than SW ones.
Not as standard, but they're capable of being quite easily modified for intergalactic flight. The Triia was making an intergalactic journey when its engine broke down, so they're definately capable of it with a ZPM for power.

Additionally, improving performance is at least to a degree, a matter of adding more power; the replicators added more power to Chronos' ha'tak, and sure enough, it went faster.

With better reactors, the same hyperdrives would be like greased lightning.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister »

Wow nice find NecronLord! :D You are right it does seem a bit low still it makes pretty good sense since Atlantis is indeed designed to float like a surface ship on the water or to be more precise like a submarine since it can rise and sink at will (probably using some sort of ballast tanks).

Batman is right when it comes to Drones in fact drones are not designed to bypass anything as far as I know but to punch thru stuff be it shields, armor etc... Which raises the question what are the darn things made off to pull the things they do? Adamantium? It has to be close because WOW! :shock:
ImageImage

Visit my site:
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Batman wrote:Why would drones be able to bypass Wars shields? And while ZPMs are no doubt incredibly powerful by modern standards and for their size, how powerful exactly ARE they? Has anybody ever managed to quantify the bloody things?
They do seem that they bypass shields on several occasions, their attack on Anubis in particular, and later, when Jack O'Neill uses a single drone to destroy a capital ship of the goa'uld Ares. In neither instance is there any visible sign of shield interaction.

Ancient shields are capable of resisting them, however, so it's an open and insoluble question whether they'd penetrate any other sci-fi shields. Personally, I'd presume not, when dealing with shields (such as Star Wars' - the particle ones at least) that are of generally higher tolerances than the Goa'uld's.

There are a number of other shield-penetrating technologies mentioned in the show, and it's even possible to fly whole starships through Atlantis' shields, if you've Ancient technology.

So yes, there's a reason to think they're shield penetrating. But I wouldn't imagine it would work on Star Wars shields, which have never demonstrated the same kind of vulnerabilities.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister »

NecronLord wrote:
They do seem that they bypass shields on several occasions, their attack on Anubis in particular, and later, when Jack O'Neill uses a single drone to destroy a capital ship of the goa'uld Ares. In neither instance is there any visible sign of shield interaction.

Ancient shields are capable of resisting them, however, so it's an open and insoluble question whether they'd penetrate any other sci-fi shields. Personally, I'd presume not, when dealing with shields (such as Star Wars' - the particle ones at least) that are of generally higher tolerances than the Goa'uld's.

There are a number of other shield-penetrating technologies mentioned in the show, and it's even possible to fly whole starships through Atlantis' shields, if you've Ancient technology.

So yes, there's a reason to think they're shield penetrating. But I wouldn't imagine it would work on Star Wars shields, which have never demonstrated the same kind of vulnerabilities.
Could the apparent lack of shield interaction be because the brightness of the drone outshines any visible effect on the shields?
Wasn't there an scene I do recall which episode exactly of a Kull warrior or someone else punching thru a shield erected iris style over a Stargate? The visual cue that it had gone thru it was barely visible just a small glimmer or something like that as I recall.
ImageImage

Visit my site:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

They get on board and swiftly discover they can't access any of the systems as they have no ATA Gene. They either tow it for scrape, leave it to drift or use it for target practise.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister »

Crazedwraith wrote:They get on board and swiftly discover they can't access any of the systems as they have no ATA Gene. They either tow it for scrape, leave it to drift or use it for target practise.
That is what I call a monumental wasted opportunity! Would you being a privateer as the OP states use such a treasure trove for target practice? The equivalent would be to find an unknown surface ship in the ocean with technology and gizmos never seen before and using it for target practice... :shock: :o :shock:
ImageImage

Visit my site:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Gizmos That They CAN'T use. They're not explorers, scientists or interested government officials. They are privateers. They're looking for a quick buck; the ship doesn't offer that.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

PunkMaister wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:They get on board and swiftly discover they can't access any of the systems as they have no ATA Gene. They either tow it for scrape, leave it to drift or use it for target practise.
That is what I call a monumental wasted opportunity! Would you being a privateer as the OP states use such a treasure trove for target practice? The equivalent would be to find an unknown surface ship in the ocean with technology and gizmos never seen before and using it for target practice... :shock: :o :shock:
Presumes they KNOW they're wasting a treasure trove (and that it is a treasure trove to begin with, about the only clear cut advantage the Ancients had over Star Wars is intergalactic stardrive speed). ALL the privateer in question knows is that a) it's there and b) its apparently not working.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Batman wrote: Presumes they KNOW they're wasting a treasure trove (and that it is a treasure trove to begin with, about the only clear cut advantage the Ancients had over Star Wars is intergalactic stardrive speed). ALL the privateer in question knows is that a) it's there and b) its apparently not working.
Since SG-1 humanity was able to figure out how to reverse engineer a significant chunk of Ancient technology on their own, and pick up the principles behind Asgard stuff within a few years, I seriously doubt it would provide a significant boost or tactical advantage for anyone in the SW galaxy even if they could figure out how to get it operational.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister »

General Zod wrote:
Batman wrote: Presumes they KNOW they're wasting a treasure trove (and that it is a treasure trove to begin with, about the only clear cut advantage the Ancients had over Star Wars is intergalactic stardrive speed). ALL the privateer in question knows is that a) it's there and b) its apparently not working.
Since SG-1 humanity was able to figure out how to reverse engineer a significant chunk of Ancient technology on their own, and pick up the principles behind Asgard stuff within a few years, I seriously doubt it would provide a significant boost or tactical advantage for anyone in the SW galaxy even if they could figure out how to get it operational.
Explain to me how having hyperdrive that is not subject to being interfered by gravitational shadows and can thus go thru stars, planets or whatever is in the way not be a tactical advantage to anyone in the SW galaxy...
ImageImage

Visit my site:
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

PunkMaister wrote:
General Zod wrote: Since SG-1 humanity was able to figure out how to reverse engineer a significant chunk of Ancient technology on their own, and pick up the principles behind Asgard stuff within a few years, I seriously doubt it would provide a significant boost or tactical advantage for anyone in the SW galaxy even if they could figure out how to get it operational.
Explain to me how having hyperdrive that is not subject to being interfered by gravitational shadows and can thus go thru stars, planets or whatever is in the way not be a tactical advantage to anyone in the SW galaxy...
You can no doubt produce canon figures on SG stardrive speeds. Because if you CAN'T that statement is meaningless.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

PunkMaister wrote: Explain to me how having hyperdrive that is not subject to being interfered by gravitational shadows and can thus go thru stars, planets or whatever is in the way not be a tactical advantage to anyone in the SW galaxy...
1 - You're an idiot.

2 - There's absolutely nothing suggesting Ancient hyperdrive can go through stars and planets, but rather goes around them entirely.

3 - Since privateers wouldn't have the Ancient gene and are not engineers, it's doubtful they would be able to determine that it's anything but a slightly modified hyperdrive, and would probably conclude its application is of little more importance than your average starship's hyperdrive system. Try again.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

General Zod wrote:2 - There's absolutely nothing suggesting Ancient hyperdrive can go through stars and planets, but rather goes around them entirely.
It seems that all SG-Tech hyperdrive is functionally similar. We have seen Goa'uld tech drives used to travel THROUGH a planet. We have seen Earth built drives used to travel through shields.

Try again Zod.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Alyeska wrote:
General Zod wrote:2 - There's absolutely nothing suggesting Ancient hyperdrive can go through stars and planets, but rather goes around them entirely.
It seems that all SG-Tech hyperdrive is functionally similar. We have seen Goa'uld tech drives used to travel THROUGH a planet. We have seen Earth built drives used to travel through shields.

Try again Zod.
Can you at least list specific examples? It's not exactly easy keeping track of 9+ seasons of Stargate material and I'd rather the people making the claim actually backed it up instead of having to dig through all of my DVDs.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister »

Whoa, seems to me someone was or is about to get FITM syndrome!
As Alyeska pointed out there are quite a few examples of SGverse hyperdrive being able to go thru planets. In SG-1 when Anubis hurled a Naquadah filled asteroid towards Earth SG-1 used a borrowed Goa'uld Tel'Tak vessel and while on the surface of that asteroid opened a hyperspace window big enough for the asteroid to go in and they exited on the opposite side of the planet. Much more recently in SG: Atlantis in the 2 parter Ataro device episode the Wraith had jury rigged the Daedalus to crash onto the planet where the Ataro device was located and with the help of the drifters (the people they found living on spaceships) with a drifter ship they opened a hyperspace window right in front of the Daedalus allowing the Daedalus to enter hyperspace and exit into normal space safely in the opposite side of the planet. Here are just 2 clear examples that SGverse hyperdrive is indeed capable of going thru the mass of celestial objects.
ImageImage

Visit my site:
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

PunkMaister wrote:Whoa, seems to me someone was or is about to get FITM syndrome!
Whatever the fuck that means.
As Alyeska pointed out there are quite a few examples of SGverse hyperdrive being able to go thru planets. In SG-1 when Anubis hurled a Naquadah filled asteroid towards Earth SG-1 used a borrowed Goa'uld Tel'Tak vessel and while on the surface of that asteroid opened a hyperspace window big enough for the asteroid to go in and they exited on the opposite side of the planet.

Much more recently in SG: Atlantis in the 2 parter Ataro device episode the Wraith had jury rigged the Daedalus to crash onto the planet where the Ataro device was located and with the help of the drifters (the people they found living on spaceships) with a drifter ship they opened a hyperspace window right in front of the Daedalus allowing the Daedalus to enter hyperspace and exit into normal space safely in the opposite side of the planet.

Here are just 2 clear examples that SGverse hyperdrive is indeed capable of going thru the mass of celestial objects.
Would it kill you how to learn how to use paragraphs? Even with these examples, there's nothing suggesting these would prevent any kind of tactical advantage whatsoever given they're situational specific.
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

General Zod wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:Whoa, seems to me someone was or is about to get FITM syndrome!
Whatever the fuck that means.
As Alyeska pointed out there are quite a few examples of SGverse hyperdrive being able to go thru planets. In SG-1 when Anubis hurled a Naquadah filled asteroid towards Earth SG-1 used a borrowed Goa'uld Tel'Tak vessel and while on the surface of that asteroid opened a hyperspace window big enough for the asteroid to go in and they exited on the opposite side of the planet.

Much more recently in SG: Atlantis in the 2 parter Ataro device episode the Wraith had jury rigged the Daedalus to crash onto the planet where the Ataro device was located and with the help of the drifters (the people they found living on spaceships) with a drifter ship they opened a hyperspace window right in front of the Daedalus allowing the Daedalus to enter hyperspace and exit into normal space safely in the opposite side of the planet.

Here are just 2 clear examples that SGverse hyperdrive is indeed capable of going thru the mass of celestial objects.
Would it kill you how to learn how to use paragraphs? Even with these examples, there's nothing suggesting these would prevent any kind of tactical advantage whatsoever given they're situational specific.
O'Neil used the hyperspace ability of a F302 to jump through the shields of Anubis' command ship and attack the ship directly.
I KILL YOU!!!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

General Zod wrote:Would it kill you how to learn how to use paragraphs? Even with these examples, there's nothing suggesting these would prevent any kind of tactical advantage whatsoever given they're situational specific.
In the season 7 opener, O'Neill and Teal'c use the hyperdrive on an earth fighter to jump through the (advanced) shields on Anubis's super-Hatak (giant capital ship). This tactic was apparently risky as hell, but then the hyperdrive was primitive and the technique was jury-rigged; with a bit of refinement it might be suitable for regular use. Certainly SG-1 hyperdrives should be able to bypass planetary shields, which would be a major advantage for SW planetary assault ships.

I don't know if it was specifically confirmed, but the Aurora class should have ring transporters, as pretty much every other Ancient facility does. If the SW techs can reverse engineer that, they have a working (and mass producable) matter transporter. That will be handy for ship-to-ship and ship-to-ground cargo transfer at the very least.
Last edited by Starglider on 2009-01-31 09:40pm, edited 2 times in total.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister »

General Zod wrote:Would it kill you how to learn how to use paragraphs? Even with these examples, there's nothing suggesting these would prevent any kind of tactical advantage whatsoever given they're situational specific.
Wow! So what would then constitute for you absolute solid proof that SGverse hyperdrive is not thwarted by the gravitational shadows of celestial objects while in transit and ships can even enter hyperspace to go from one side of a planet to the other without hitting it unlike SWverse hyperdrive?

I think this incidents being "situational" or not clearly show that they can go thru the mass and gravitational shadow of celestial objects. That and the fact that when ships plot a course in SGverse hyperrdrive they do not bother themselves with carefully plotting around "navigational hazzards" as they have to do with SW hyperdrive. Now if not having to worry about such things and simply plot and go and being able to finally have actual Intergalactic travel is not a tactical advantage then I don't know what is...
ImageImage

Visit my site: