Isana Kadeb's Fate

Only now, at the end, do you understand.

Moderator: Moderators

Isana Kadeb's fate?

Title: WTPF
10%
Ban
84%
Other, specify
3%
Abstain
3%

Total votes: 31

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:From the overwhelming tally (18 out of 23), I would say that is a Majority of those voted. I move we close the Poll and pass sentence.
While we definately have the supermajority the poll is still 2 votes shy of quorom for Ban polls.
Which is ridiculous considering the length of time this poll has been up. Are there Senators not even checking this forum or something, or are people just not bothering to vote?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

After consulting with my consituants I have cast my vote and would like to issue the following statement regarding Mr Kadeb.

"Bye Whore."

Edit:

While I am loathe to dispense with due process, I hereby propose that the members of the senate shall abstain from giving a shit should Mr Kadeb suddenly dissapear.
:D
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

RedImperator wrote:Which is ridiculous considering the length of time this poll has been up. Are there Senators not even checking this forum or something, or are people just not bothering to vote?
My guess is there are people who don't check the forum, or are relatively inactive. The last new Senator vote, we didn't reach quorum until I sent out PMs to everybody who didn't post in the thread.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Surlethe wrote:
RedImperator wrote:Which is ridiculous considering the length of time this poll has been up. Are there Senators not even checking this forum or something, or are people just not bothering to vote?
My guess is there are people who don't check the forum, or are relatively inactive. The last new Senator vote, we didn't reach quorum until I sent out PMs to everybody who didn't post in the thread.
This is exactly why I thought the proposal to create a Senate Whip was a good idea.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

So very sorry that 'ridiculous' real-life things held up your ban poll for two weeks.

Voted.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Zaia wrote:
So very sorry that 'ridiculous' real-life things held up your ban poll for two weeks.

Voted.
So 27 other people have had insurmountable real-life issues for the last two weeks too? For the past several months, in fact, since we barely got a quorum for the last new member nomination, the temp ban amendment, and, ironically enough, the amendment to add quorum requirements? Believe it or not, my comments were not aimed specifically at you or anyone else who hasn't been around because of real life concerns--but unless there's been an astounding confluence of events, that's not enough to explain why less than half or just barely half the Senate votes on most issues.
X-Ray Blues
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

RedImperator wrote:
Zaia wrote:

Voted.
So 27 other people have had insurmountable real-life issues for the last two weeks too? For the past several months, in fact, since we barely got a quorum for the last new member nomination, the temp ban amendment, and, ironically enough, the amendment to add quorum requirements? Believe it or not, my comments were not aimed specifically at you or anyone else who hasn't been around because of real life concerns--but unless there's been an astounding confluence of events, that's not enough to explain why less than half or just barely half the Senate votes on most issues.
Is it possible to subscribe people to threads?

If it was just a few people doing it then I'd agree ideally we should just be more disciplined and check the senate regularly but given that this appears to be affecting the majority of the senate I submit that some form of notification system may be necessary to achieve a realistic turnout.

There are other alternatives of course, another idea that's probably going to be simpler to implement is that we maintain a monthly senate general discussion thread. That'll make it much easier to do notifications, advise of absences and discuss issues that normally wouldn't be worth their own thread, we could also use the monthly threads for discussing issues and proposals before dedicating an official thread to them. Also, monthly dated threads would archive quite nicely as well.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Well two thoughts:

1) We've reached quorom so would someone please ban the fucker already

and

2) I think Red is right with regards to the Senate Whip and we possibly need to bring that back under discussion. My last count that I was aware of was something like 43 Senators and Governors (thus 26 being 60% for the category A polls). My numbers may be off with that regards but it would mean we aren't seeing votes from something like 17-18 individuals. so actually let me exapnd this point a bit.

We need a better way to track who hasn't voted, how many need to vote, and we need someone to do this. I honestly think the position of Senate Whip (which could serve also as a second to the Chancelllor given Rob's frequently expected and often long abscences) needs to encompass those duties and we need to have one.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Alright, which admin will do the honor?
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Zaia wrote:
I was in the fucking hospital for several days and I've gotten to see the patient side of far too many goddamned "imaging devices" and medical tests. I still managed to vote.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Fellow Senators, we have a comment from the peanut gallery:
Soontir C'boath wrote:If you don't mind, I'd like this posted in the Isana thread.

Just wanted to say that there is an abstain option if you don't have time to read the case. I'll take Zaia and Spyder for examples as they are the two known 'late' voters. Zaia was posting on the forum the day of the third and the seventh of January which leaves no doubt she was on here right after the poll started (on the second). If she didn't have time, the abstain option was perfectly there for her to take. January seventh was the first day of the year Spyder posted some things and was known to be moving to a new flat. If at the time, he was too busy to read the case due to the moving, he could've abstained.

That goes for any other Senator here. Just abstain if you don't have time. It's better than not voting at all and putting the poll behind.
I move that we double his monthly ration of dry biscuits and vodka to recognize his contribution to the discussion.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

The one pressing issue is that when senators are pressed with a number of real life concerns, the senate does take a back seat. It's not so much time as priorities.

I propose a number of reforms that will help streamline the process.

#1: Collect Email addresses of all senators and put out a mailing list for when important senate business comes up.

#2: Limit poll time to 7 days

#3: Reduce polling requirements. If two senators vote, one's abstain and the other's ban, we now have a ban. This may seem draconian but with all senators notified the instant the poll goes up then they only have themselves to blame if the poll doesn't go the way they wanted it to.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Spyder wrote:The one pressing issue is that when senators are pressed with a number of real life concerns, the senate does take a back seat. It's not so much time as priorities.

I propose a number of reforms that will help streamline the process.

#1: Collect Email addresses of all senators and put out a mailing list for when important senate business comes up.

#2: Limit poll time to 7 days

#3: Reduce polling requirements. If two senators vote, one's abstain and the other's ban, we now have a ban. This may seem draconian but with all senators notified the instant the poll goes up then they only have themselves to blame if the poll doesn't go the way they wanted it to.
#1 and #2 I can agree with but #3 is just a load of horse crap if I do say so. Maybe the quorom restrictions are too high or maybe the vote differential is too high but there MUST be a minimum bar which requires a clear indication of the will of the Senate.

It really comes down to this, if we even want to try and have the banning system work as anything remotely resembling a democratic vote then we have to require minimum participation. Banning, despite the apparent ease with which we do it around here, should NOT be a quick and easy process of simply rubber stamping another senator's disapproval. There must be sufficient weight or it is no longer anything but an arbitrary decision. The members of the senate are expected to be participant in the board and we should do somehting to help ensure that participation but as soon as we reduce the voting requirements to near nil then we are simply subverting the whole purpose of the senate.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Then again the banning the Mods and Mike by extension gives the Senate are the middle ground ban. The ones that aren't really worth the immediate KIA of any sort, so a bit of time can be expected...the only problem is when it takes a week to get half the people to vote on "Title, Abstain, Yes/No Ban."

Honestly let's get some sort of push because really after a point why take a week and a half for a person that most consider dead weight.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
#1 and #2 I can agree with but #3 is just a load of horse crap if I do say so. Maybe the quorom restrictions are too high or maybe the vote differential is too high but there MUST be a minimum bar which requires a clear indication of the will of the Senate.

It really comes down to this, if we even want to try and have the banning system work as anything remotely resembling a democratic vote then we have to require minimum participation. Banning, despite the apparent ease with which we do it around here, should NOT be a quick and easy process of simply rubber stamping another senator's disapproval. There must be sufficient weight or it is no longer anything but an arbitrary decision. The members of the senate are expected to be participant in the board and we should do somehting to help ensure that participation but as soon as we reduce the voting requirements to near nil then we are simply subverting the whole purpose of the senate.
#1 and #2 could possibly render #3 redundant anyway as it solves the notification issue. If we're in agreement about #1 and #2 then lets focus on those for now and then we can see if any other steps are necessary later.

Now, a separate but related issue (may as well get it all out of the way at once) what do you think of the idea of leaving the polls off the ban poll threads until the last couple of days or so? If we introduce a notification system then we could possibly afford to be a little more dynamic about how ban polls are conducted.

While separate discussion threads can be introduced prior to a ban poll, I think keeping the polls closed for the first few days will promote deliberation prior to voting.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Broomstick wrote:
Zaia wrote:So very sorry that 'ridiculous' real-life things held up your ban poll for two weeks.
I was in the fucking hospital for several days and I've gotten to see the patient side of far too many goddamned "imaging devices" and medical tests. I still managed to vote.
Well, bully for you. Between all my jobs and the other things that have gone on this month, I did not.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Fellow senators this conversation is one best left outside the Senate. We don't need to be granstanding either way. If you have thoughts or concerns in regards to voting please make them know with you vote in the relevant thread which is right next to this thread.

-Kingdom of Heaven
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Getting back on topic, has Isana been banned yet?
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

This hasn't been moved to Parting shots so one would guess not.

-Kingdom of Heaven
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Schrodinger's troll

we're not sure if he's been banned or not.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

The Wookiee
Lex Wookos

Post by The Wookiee »

In accordance with the decision of this august body, the punishment of BAN HIS ASS has been carried out.
"I suggest a new strategy, Artoo: Let The Wookiee win."
SDnet BBS Administrator: Service With A Roar (And A Hydrospanner)
Knight of the Order of the Galactic Empire

Do not taunt The Wookiee.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Off to Parting Shots.