Other SF planet killers!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Crazyman wrote: Well, it was never explained in the cartoon, but the comic version of Unicron was actually a fallen god that had consumed an entire universe previous to our own, and when this one formed he was eventually tricked into flying himself into an asteroid (which would take way too long to explain; buy the comic yourself :-) ), which he eventually reformed into a planet that could transform into a likeness of his old self. Note: the comic version came after the TV version.
Woo! Someone else appreciates the comics! I thought I was the only one :oops:

BTW the Matrix concept worked much better in the comics, with Primus vs Unicron and all...
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Stark wrote:
A Transformers canon point - I imagine the TV show is canon and the comics aren't, which is a shame because the end of the comic storyline was much better than the later TV stories... I'm including both Starscreams ghost *AND* resurrecting Prime every other episode here :)
DIE INFIDEL, DIE!
The British Comic Ruled the Canon of Transformers. The TV show was but a poor mockery, to be laughed at and poked with sticks - Grimlock had an Intelligence rating of 8, that's the same as Wheeljack, yt the TV had him saying "Grimlock, smash!". Pah, he was the 2ic of the Autobots in the UK comic at one point and even lead them for a while. The Comic matched the actual stats of the Toys and had coherent storylines.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Stark wrote:Woo! Someone else appreciates the comics! I thought I was the only one :oops:

BTW the Matrix concept worked much better in the comics, with Primus vs Unicron and all...
My money's on Primus. They're the best anti-Pop band around.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Rob Wilson wrote: DIE INFIDEL, DIE!
The British Comic Ruled the Canon of Transformers.
I completely agree with you! I was referring to the later Furman comic stories (from the Matrix Quest on, I think), and they are FAR superior to the TV show. You Grimlock example is a good one - in the comics he has a sharper grasp of the situation that Prowl the tactical genius. Excellent stories, excellent art (I can't enjoy most other comics now).

I got the British version too! With COMBAT COLIN! :D
Crazyman

Post by Crazyman »

Stark wrote:
Woo! Someone else appreciates the comics! I thought I was the only one :oops:

Well, it's a toss-up for me about the Matrix, but Unicron was definately better in the comics. I kinda wish the TV show went more into what he could actually eat besides planets, especially when the comic version could eat an entire universe.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Crazyman wrote: Well, it's a toss-up for me about the Matrix, but Unicron was definately better in the comics. I kinda wish the TV show went more into what he could actually eat besides planets, especially when the comic version could eat an entire universe.
I'm just a sucker for the Matrix's fall from grace in the comics... :) And agreed - in the comics Unicron was known and feared across the universe, and in the movie he just showed up one day (and only ever ate mechanical planets).
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Stark wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote: DIE INFIDEL, DIE!
The British Comic Ruled the Canon of Transformers.
I completely agree with you! I was referring to the later Furman comic stories (from the Matrix Quest on, I think), and they are FAR superior to the TV show. You Grimlock example is a good one - in the comics he has a sharper grasp of the situation that Prowl the tactical genius. Excellent stories, excellent art (I can't enjoy most other comics now).

I got the British version too! With COMBAT COLIN! :D
I learnt everything I know about the Military from that Tactical genius... that's why I'm better than the Feds :P

Do you think that the Storylines went a bit south with the constant release of new toys. Personally I thought it was incorporated well, but you saw less and less of the old characters, who were still viable protaganists even in the face of the newcomers.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Rob Wilson wrote: I learnt everything I know about the Military from that Tactical genius... that's why I'm better than the Feds :P

Do you think that the Storylines went a bit south with the constant release of new toys. Personally I thought it was incorporated well, but you saw less and less of the old characters, who were still viable protaganists even in the face of the newcomers.
Do you mean in the comic or the TV show? In the TV show, most definately, with the biggest symptom of the problem being the movie itself, where they simply *killed* all the old toys off to replace them with new ones. It worked well in the movie (I was seven! I cried!) but in a cynical adult way, it was a cheesy way of selling toys. And afterwards it was much worse ... in the second or third episode, Prime gets mad and nearly HITS Sideswipe. Later on he's a saint. Go depth :)

Post by Guest »

Stark wrote: I'm just a sucker for the Matrix's fall from grace in the comics... :) And agreed - in the comics Unicron was known and feared across the universe, and in the movie he just showed up one day (and only ever ate mechanical planets).
Probably because they couldn't figure out how to make him eating a biological planet look cool.

Question: Do you think Unicron has some kind of repulsorlift system? The Death Star blows up planets from several hundred thousand km away, where Unicron must actually collide with the planet (where either tractor beams or his own gravity collect any lose debris) so he can eat it. Something has to keep him from ramming it so hard that he destroys himself with the planet.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Stark wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:
Do you think that the Storylines went a bit south with the constant release of new toys.
Do you mean in the comic or the TV show? In the TV show, most definately, with the biggest symptom of the problem being the movie itself, where they simply *killed* all the old toys off to replace them with new ones. It worked well in the movie (I was seven! I cried!) but in a cynical adult way, it was a cheesy way of selling toys. And afterwards it was much worse ... in the second or third episode, Prime gets mad and nearly HITS Sideswipe. Later on he's a saint. Go depth :)
The Comic, as the TV show wasn't really all that easy to get over here. What I did see was passable, but other than the transformation sound nothing really struck me as worthwhile.

One of the best storylines from the comics was the intro of the Predacons with the Hunting of Prime and Megatron, but I think that's a tiny bit off-topic here. :D
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Rob Wilson wrote: One of the best storylines from the comics was the intro of the Predacons with the Hunting of Prime and Megatron, but I think that's a tiny bit off-topic here. :D
I liked the resurrected Megatron skulking about in his tower in the Dead Zone, and his plan to blow up the Ark and how it all would have worked if no for those pesky kids! :)

Point taken.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Stark wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:

Point taken.
Mind you, I can talk. I'm practically the poster child for OT subjects and Thread hijacking. :)

So back to topic, Could the TF's use the Dimensional Bridge to breach Planetary sheilds and then launch attacks to take over an SW world?
:twisted:
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Stark wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:

Point taken.
Are we talking about the Space Bridge here? :D

TFs do laugh off present-day tank and aircraft weapons, but I'm not sure how they'd stand up against SW weapons... but their weapons are supposed to be 'lasers' (I know, they don't go c :)) and they've got heaps of kick.

Course the canon isn't consistent - in the show they get shot all the time ... no problem, just slap on a 'transistor pack' (I'm not kidding) and off you go. In the movie they're gunned down with brutal regularity.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Stark wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:
Stark wrote: Are we talking about the Space Bridge here? :D

TFs do laugh off present-day tank and aircraft weapons, but I'm not sure how they'd stand up against SW weapons... but their weapons are supposed to be 'lasers' (I know, they don't go c :)) and they've got heaps of kick.

Course the canon isn't consistent - in the show they get shot all the time ... no problem, just slap on a 'transistor pack' (I'm not kidding) and off you go. In the movie they're gunned down with brutal regularity.
Ah but then you bring in Shockwave, Megatron and Omega Supreme and watch the party get started. :twisted:

Post by Guest »

Rob Wilson wrote: Ah but then you bring in Shockwave, Megatron and Omega Supreme and watch the party get started. :twisted:
Lets not forget Devastator et al :twisted:

Omega Supreme is powerful even by Devastator standards. (I know its vague, but I saw an episode once... :)) Considering SW ground forces, I'd say the big TFs (including Fort Max, Scorponok etc) could defeat the likes of AT-ATs, especially considering the 'Cons can all fly.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Anonymous wrote: Probably because they couldn't figure out how to make him eating a biological planet look cool.

Question: Do you think Unicron has some kind of repulsorlift system? The Death Star blows up planets from several hundred thousand km away, where Unicron must actually collide with the planet (where either tractor beams or his own gravity collect any lose debris) so he can eat it. Something has to keep him from ramming it so hard that he destroys himself with the planet.
I'm not sure if he used tractor beams, or if it was simply his enormous mass in low orbit that pulled debris into the air... remember, TFs seem to be able to alter their mass at will (within limits, of course)
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Anonymous wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote: Ah but then you bring in Shockwave, Megatron and Omega Supreme and watch the party get started. :twisted:
Lets not forget Devastator et al :twisted:

Omega Supreme is powerful even by Devastator standards. (I know its vague, but I saw an episode once... :))
There is a very good and Professional piece of Fanart that shows them fighting (and gets the scales right as well) and most people that see it remember it and occasionally think it came from the comic or was official (yes, it's that good) and it shows Devastator and Omega Supreme fighting... or I should say, Devastator getting crushed by Omega :)

It's possible that's what your thinking of.

And yes the Ground troops would be shitting themselves if Skorponok and Fort. Max decided to play with them, hell AT-AT vs Fort. Max is like a rabid Gorilla vs Chihuahua's :twisted:
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Rob Wilson wrote: There is a very good and Professional piece of Fanart that shows them fighting (and gets the scales right as well) and most people that see it remember it and occasionally think it came from the comic or was official (yes, it's that good) and it shows Devastator and Omega Supreme fighting... or I should say, Devastator getting crushed by Omega :)

It's possible that's what your thinking of.
It was definately an episode - I can remember the sound (unless my childhood imagination made them up... it was a long time ago) Do you have a link to this image?? :)
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Hmm, Planetkillers?

MOO2: Steller Converted. Beam causes the target planet to fragment into several pieces, slowly expanding outwards.

Sailor Moon :wink: : Saturn: planetkiller in a young girl. Moon: Worse than Saturn.

MIB2: Starship smaller than my computer monitor capable of obliterating planets.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

phongn wrote:Hmm, Planetkillers?

MIB2: Starship smaller than my computer monitor capable of obliterating planets.
That better not be a spoiler to a Film that' not out in cinema's outside the US yet. Don't make me use the Prodding stick on you.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Rob Wilson wrote:

That better not be a spoiler to a Film that' not out in cinema's outside the US yet. Don't make me use the Prodding stick on you.
It isn't - just eyecandy in the beginning title sequence.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

phongn wrote: Sailor Moon :wink: : Saturn: planetkiller in a young girl. Moon: Worse than Saturn.
Saturn and Moon can kill planets? Wha?? :)
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

phongn wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:

It isn't - just eyecandy in the beginning title sequence.
Ah, ok then.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Stark wrote:
phongn wrote: Sailor Moon :wink: : Saturn: planetkiller in a young girl. Moon: Worse than Saturn.
Saturn and Moon can kill planets? Wha?? :)
Well, if you're refering to the two characters rather than the celestial bodies in question :wink:

Saturn is stated to be able to destroy planets and very nearly did so in the manga (roughly corresponding to Season 3). In the anime (less dark), she didn't progress to that point.

Moon is considered the most powerful one, greater than either Pluto (with her temporal powers) or Saturn (with her planetkiller and innate healing powers). She can "heal a planet" (possibly a hint to what she'll do at the birth of Crystal Tokyo). In addition, she destroyed the Dark Kingdom reality, the extent of which is not known.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Phong, sometimes you frighten me.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.