Yuzzhan Vong vs. the Imperium of Man

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Allrighty then. What is the long range detection capability of IOM and how quickly YV can produce fighting ships on a captured world?

I'm assuming the starting scenario is the same as when YV attacked NR.

YV needs planets (otherwise they wouldn't be capturing them...) So big points are how quickly can the IOM react, how many planets the YV have been able to take, what can they deploy in their defence, how quickly the YV can pinpoint vital IOM worlds and move against them.

I'd still like to know the number of YV ships.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Funny would be the Vong conquest fleet jumping into the path of a Tyranid Hive fleet.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

There are vast numbers of inhabitable worlds in 40K that the Imperium neither knows about nor has prescence on.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

Another thing the IOM might do is to resurect the Emperor if they can. Or if failing that, they are sure to stumble across Leman Russ and the 13th Wulfen Company of the Space Wolves. :twisted: :P
Amateurs study Logistics, Professionals study Economics.
Dale Cozort (slightly out of context quote)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Whether the Emperor can be resurrected or not is a subject of much debate. It's better to assume that it won't happen anytime soon. And Leman Russ is out of the picture as well. If you want the 13th Wulfen, you'll have to go back into the Eye of Terror. Nobody's about to do that. Please bone up on your 40K before you start spouting stuff like that...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Typhonis 1 wrote:Funny would be the Vong conquest fleet jumping into the path of a Tyranid Hive fleet.
And it couldn't happen to a better bunch of guys.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Wanderer wrote: Considering the vastness of space, that should be easy. As for IOM fleet numbers, I believe Andy Chambers gave a High End of 375,000, but someone else will have to provide the direct qoute. My book base for 40K is small :( , though I am trying to build it up.
From the Battlefleet Gothic Rulebook
All human-inhabited space is further broken down into sectors, which are most usually cubes of space roughly 200 light years to a side.
Each battlefleet normally consists of between 50 and 75 warships of varying size, although in some sectors this will be more or less, according to the importance of the sector and the number of
enemies it must contend with. As well as these destroyers, frigates, cruisers and battleships, a battlefleet also has access to countless smaller
vessels such as transports, shuttles, messenger craft and long-range patrol craft. In addition to interstellar vessels, a sector will also be protected by numerous ships incapable of warp travel, such
as system patrol ships and defence monitors.
These are backed up by stationary defences – space stations, orbital defence platforms, groundbased defence lasers and missile silos and orbital mines.
So taking this and assuming a Galaxy of 70,000LY in diameter;
We get an area of ~3,848,000LY
A Sector covers an area of 400,000LY
Giving ~9,000 Sectors
Beginning with 1 layer of sectors we get a range of between 450,000 and 675,000 ships plus additional defences. Increase the number of layers and you increase the number of ships.
Another thing the IOM might do is to resurect the Emperor if they can.
They won't ressurect him. However the vast majority of his time an energies is usually spent dealing with the Chaos Gods. Since they've been removed fromthis senario, he free to concentrate his efforts on destroying this new enemy. And he can likely act a bit more directly than simple insperation and the creation of the odd Saint.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

Elheru Aran wrote:Whether the Emperor can be resurrected or not is a subject of much debate. It's better to assume that it won't happen anytime soon. And Leman Russ is out of the picture as well. If you want the 13th Wulfen, you'll have to go back into the Eye of Terror. Nobody's about to do that. Please bone up on your 40K before you start spouting stuff like that...
Chaos is gone, so they are definitly freed up.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Elheru Aran wrote:And Leman Russ is out of the picture as well.
Not quite, it's suspected that he's still running around somewhere behind the scenes, just keeping his head down and personally taking the fight to Chaos followers.
JADAFETWA
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Kuja wrote:
Not quite, it's suspected that he's still running around somewhere behind the scenes, just keeping his head down and personally taking the fight to Chaos followers.
Yes, however, sounded like Wanderer was suggesting the Imperium can just jump-start Bob the God Emperor and pull Leman Russ out of a hat... both of which, obviously, aren't happening. Just setting those straight... though I didn't know that bit about him running about behind the scenes, so you get that one. -nods-
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Kuja wrote:
Yes, however, sounded like Wanderer was suggesting the Imperium can just jump-start Bob the God Emperor and pull Leman Russ out of a hat... both of which, obviously, aren't happening. Just setting those straight... though I didn't know that bit about him running about behind the scenes, so you get that one. -nods-
Don't forget that the key words of the Imperium are largely 'status quo'. I'd imagine something like the Vong would definately shake things up and if the traditional enemies (Chaos) are largely gone, you can bet Leman Russ and the 13th are gonna come storming out to kick some ass.
JADAFETWA
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

True dat; what with it being >2K years since the Heresy, though, I'd be pretty surprised if Leman Russ was still in any condition to fight. If he'd been holing up in the Eye of Terror, possibly-- all that Warp shit does weird things with space/time-- but otherwise... well, I am reminded of Bjorn the Fell-Handed... to be sure, his being a Primarch will have a distinct influence there. Not saying it's impossible... just that he'd be one damn healthy old codger. :P

And, given that the 13th Wulfen have been in the Eye for a looooooong time, I'd also be surprised if any of 'em are still remotely sane after they come out, leaving alone the issue of their undoubtedly severely increased mutations.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Elheru Aran wrote:And, given that the 13th Wulfen have been in the Eye for a looooooong time, I'd also be surprised if any of 'em are still remotely sane after they come out, leaving alone the issue of their undoubtedly severely increased mutations.
They showed up during the 13th Black Crusade and despite a reduction in numbers and working equipment, they're still fighting loyally and effectively for the Imperium.
JADAFETWA
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Kuja wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:And, given that the 13th Wulfen have been in the Eye for a looooooong time, I'd also be surprised if any of 'em are still remotely sane after they come out, leaving alone the issue of their undoubtedly severely increased mutations.
They showed up during the 13th Black Crusade and despite a reduction in numbers and working equipment, they're still fighting loyally and effectively for the Imperium.
Did they? Missed it then... I thought that was the one Abaddon pulled out the Planet Killer? Or was that the recent Eye of Terror campaign? :?
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

How the hell did the Vong get all Star Wars worlds? :shock: That's not in the OP. I thought they were invading the WH40K galaxy, just with the IoM left in there!
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Lost Soal wrote: So taking this and assuming a Galaxy of 70,000LY in diameter;
We get an area of ~3,848,000LY
A Sector covers an area of 400,000LY
Giving ~9,000 Sectors
Beginning with 1 layer of sectors we get a range of between 450,000 and 675,000 ships plus additional defences. Increase the number of layers and you increase the number of ships.
Addendum to my calcs.
According to this site the Milky Way galaxy has a disc thickness of 2,000LY and a Nucleus thickness of 20,000LY
This means for the galaxy in general there is a possible 10 layers of sectors, and up to 1 hundred layers in the nucleus.
Ignoring the nucleaus that gives a possible increases in fleet size to a range of 4,500,000 to 6,750,000

I also forgot that you can add another couple thousand to account for the fleets belonging to the Astartes, Adeptup Mecanicus and The Inquisition.[/quote]
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

There are vast expanses of space the Imperium doesn't control. There are entire interstellar empires living inside the space they claim.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Elheru Aran wrote:True dat; what with it being >2K years since the Heresy, though, I'd be pretty surprised if Leman Russ was still in any condition to fight. If he'd been holing up in the Eye of Terror, possibly-- all that Warp shit does weird things with space/time-- but otherwise... well, I am reminded of Bjorn the Fell-Handed... to be sure, his being a Primarch will have a distinct influence there. Not saying it's impossible... just that he'd be one damn healthy old codger. :P
Don't forget, that the chaos marines that are fighting the IoM are in many cases the same marines that sided with Horus 10000 years ago. With the time dilation of the warp, 10000 years has been just a few to them. So Russ isn't that old. Now the scary part is they found his armor out side of a chaos temple in the EoT, which means that if he is still kicking chaos ass, he's doing it buck naked :shock:
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

A comment; if the Eye of Terror winks out and takes the Daemons, Slaves, and everything else with it, why wouldn't Russ and the 13th Company go with them?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

SirNitram wrote:A comment; if the Eye of Terror winks out and takes the Daemons, Slaves, and everything else with it, why wouldn't Russ and the 13th Company go with them?
Fan-wank?
Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

SirNitram wrote:A comment; if the Eye of Terror winks out and takes the Daemons, Slaves, and everything else with it, why wouldn't Russ and the 13th Company go with them?
Simple, what makes the Eye of Terror, Chaos, is gone. But, the Planets remain. So the Wulfen company is simply saying "what the Hell. Where did everybody go? Oh well, back to Fenriss."
Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

Stas Bush wrote:How the hell did the Vong get all Star Wars worlds? :shock: That's not in the OP. I thought they were invading the WH40K galaxy, just with the IoM left in there!
They are invading. They have to grab a few worlds first. Won't be hard as there are several million worlds that the Imperium has no presence on. Once things get moving though, it going to be fun :twisted:
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

NecronLord wrote:There are vast expanses of space the Imperium doesn't control. There are entire interstellar empires living inside the space they claim.
It's rough figures I know, but its still a possible estimate. Thinking realistically, the amount of losses they've taken in the countless wars means they would have to have a huge number of ships, otherwise they would now be without a fleet. Either that or they are capable of replacing, at least cruiser class ships, almost as fast as they lose them.

Ivanova is always right.

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Kuja wrote:
Did they? Missed it then... I thought that was the one Abaddon pulled out the Planet Killer? Or was that the recent Eye of Terror campaign? :?
It was both. Don't forget the Black Crusades are huge. It's virtually ALL Chaos against EVERYTHING the Imperium has ready to throw at them. There's a lot of room for weird shit to happen.
JADAFETWA
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Wanderer wrote:
Simple, what makes the Eye of Terror, Chaos, is gone. But, the Planets remain. So the Wulfen company is simply saying "what the Hell. Where did everybody go? Oh well, back to Fenriss."
Then all the Chaos Marines will still be around, with armies of slaves still labouring for them.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter