Largest Sci-fi Online Worldbuilding Projects

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Largest Sci-fi Online Worldbuilding Projects

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

Wasting hours browsing through Orion's Arm is a guilty pleasure for me. I detest the whole idea of aigods and everybody becoming transhumans, and I know that the creators are apparent a bunch of self-satisfied nanowank prigs, but the sheer immensity of useless information and excellent graphics makes OA a nice diversion.

So, I'm wondering: are there any other sci-fi worldbuilding projects online that are as comprehensive and (attempting to be) realistic?

There's a few linked to their site, but most haven't been updated c. 1998. Bleah.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

http://www.omniversezero.com/forum/index.php

In here, you (maybe with a few friends) can make your own universe. Sure, it's not one giant massive project, but it's you making your own universe along with other people making theirs. You can make it realistic, with F-22s and shit, or you can have weirdo demons in post-apocalyptic zombie-filled Earth that's being fought over by angels and demons. You can have giant deathweapons that can hurl entire planets, elevators that are afraid of heights, orgasm-inducing candies and phased plasma rifles, lizard men from Zigon-5 and space nazi Booger Bears in Space!

Just check it out.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

Sorry, but I'm looking for things to read in this thread. I'm already worldbuilding a project elsewhere.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:http://www.omniversezero.com/forum/index.php

In here, you (maybe with a few friends) can make your own universe. Sure, it's not one giant massive project, but it's you making your own universe along with other people making theirs. You can make it realistic, with F-22s and shit, or you can have weirdo demons in post-apocalyptic zombie-filled Earth that's being fought over by angels and demons. You can have giant deathweapons that can hurl entire planets, elevators that are afraid of heights, orgasm-inducing candies and phased plasma rifles, lizard men from Zigon-5 and space nazi Booger Bears in Space!

Just check it out.
And just to let you know, the Great and Mighty Zor has just gotten an account there.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Good! Though what took you so bloody long?! I PMed you like a couple of invitations :P

Anyway, since I'm a shameless bitch, Battlehym, go read THIS now! :P
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

[Shameless Plugging]

My universe on OmniverseZero, The Descendants, actually originally started out as an attempt to set new standards of realism within space opera, but much like OA as I drew more and more fringe science into it, it started resembling a bad acid trip more and more... though I often get comments from readers about The Descendants being better than Orion's Arm. (perhaps because The Descendants has Teslawank instead of Nanowank)

[/Shameless Plugging]
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

And, well, Peregrine says my universe (Sovereigns of the Stars/SOTS) is what Babylon 5 would be like if Tarantino wrote it.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!