Most Repulsive Sci-Fi

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Most Repulsive Sci-Fi

Post by Kitsune »

No incluing the series staring with the letter "G" by Mr Norman, what Science Fiction series do you consider teh most repulsive and why?

I know Mr Normans series might be considered Fanatsy as well but it is in that Grey area. If you disgree about if his works are fantasy or science fiction, that is not what this discussion is about
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

From what I've heard the draka and Zor series sound nasty although I've never read them.
Anything that makes the Ratzis seem good in comparison has to be foul.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

From what I understand: The Draka aren't much worse than the Nazis. In some ways better, their brutality is just presented in a way, thanks to Mr. Sterling's writing talents (I'm not just saying that in case he comes back, honest) and objectives, that makes their repellance obvious to all, and deglamourises their totalitarianism.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Mr Norman's fantasy

Draka-verse.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

NecronLord wrote:From what I understand: The Draka aren't much worse than the Nazis.
What I understand is quite different.
As long as you weren't Jewish or one of the other groups on their shit list, didn't make any waves, and gave lip service to them the Nazis usually pretty much left you alone. It wasn't exactly peachy living under them but with certain exceptions (their invasion of Russia for instance) they allowed you to continue something resembling a moderately human existence.

The Draka are more like the Mongols. They view and treat people in their conquered territories as their personal possessions, with the same legal and moral rights as a chair. When they roll into town they burn down the place, loot your house, rape your wife, and kill you and the rest of your family if you have the impertinence to resist. If you're unfortunate enough to live through that they will shove you into a train, deport you, sell you to the highest bidder, and you will spend the rest of your life as slave. Living in the Dominate is like living in a Russian gulag, albeit minus the freezing temperatures and starvation.
At least that's my understanding.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

This is easy - Warhammer 40,000. I really can't think of any regime as bad as the Imperium. Ever read the Abhuman article in Chapter Approved? The place is hideous in every way; nothing is redeemable there, 'cept the Orks. :)

Really, the Draka don't even begin to compare to the Imperium - the only reason why I dislike the Draka so much is that it doesn't fill the void where my spirituality lies.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Ford Prefect wrote:Really, the Draka don't even begin to compare to the Imperium - the only reason why I dislike the Draka so much is that it doesn't fill the void where my spirituality lies.
Really? I would think living under the Imperium would be pretty much like living under the Taliban.
Living under the Taliban would be preferable to being a Draka serf IMO.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

We hate the Draka because it's poorly written shit.(Yes, I have no particular fear of an author whose posted here seeing that, flatly, I think his society is trash and the writing of it about the same.)

It's such a charmed, stupid existance that it's hard not to hate it.

40k is at least well written. Very well written, actually. But it's still much worse a place to be.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Re: Most Repulsive Sci-Fi

Post by Sidewinder »

Kitsune wrote:No incluing the series staring with the letter "G" by Mr Norman, what Science Fiction series do you consider teh most repulsive and why?
I admit, it's been a while since I read a sci-fi novel. What series are you talking about? Who's Mr. Norman?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Sidewinder wrote:
Kitsune wrote:No incluing the series staring with the letter "G" by Mr Norman, what Science Fiction series do you consider teh most repulsive and why?
I admit, it's been a while since I read a sci-fi novel. What series are you talking about? Who's Mr. Norman?
Check Announcements, specifically PR6.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

PR6?

I think the Imperium is extremely nasty (depending on where you are... On some planets, the Imperium is just a fairy tale) in its methods... Although the Commorragh does compare. :)
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The world of Kaliedoscope Century by John Barnes. I think Barnes also came up with a bunch of evil Carthaginian descended alternate timelines, which were apparantely competitive with the Draka in the vile department.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Sidewinder wrote:
Take the word Kor and replace the K with a G.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I looked up articles on John Norman and the 'Gor' series on Wikipedia. The description of the relationship between a hero WHO ENSLAVE WOMEN and the submissive who enjoys being enslaved is as repulsive as 'Rapeman' or any number of H-anime with tentacle demons in it-- my original choice for "Most Repulsive Sci-Fi."
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Sidewinder wrote:I looked up articles on John Norman and the 'Gor' series on Wikipedia. The description of the relationship between a hero WHO ENSLAVE WOMEN and the submissive who enjoys being enslaved is as repulsive as 'Rapeman' or any number of H-anime with tentacle demons in it-- my original choice for "Most Repulsive Sci-Fi."
You can't say its name. Why do you think we were avoiding it?
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I thought we just weren't allowed to have versus threads about it, because they all turn into happy genocidal fantasies with no real merit.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Imperial Overlord wrote:The world of Kaliedoscope Century by John Barnes. I think Barnes also came up with a bunch of evil Carthaginian descended alternate timelines, which were apparantely competitive with the Draka in the vile department.
Carthaginian descended nations? What sort of crack pipe was he smoking?

What the hell did he say in his books?
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Straha wrote:
Imperial Overlord wrote:The world of Kaliedoscope Century by John Barnes. I think Barnes also came up with a bunch of evil Carthaginian descended alternate timelines, which were apparantely competitive with the Draka in the vile department.
Carthaginian descended nations? What sort of crack pipe was he smoking?

What the hell did he say in his books?
Haven't read the series, but its about multiple alternate Earths and associated time lines. IIRC, there's one where a hypertech uber Athens rules the Earth, ours is another, and there is a whole bunch were the evil Cartheginians have taken over. There's a war between the nice time lines and the Cartheginian ones.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I'm inclined to agree with the 40K sentiment. WH40K is just a dreadful place overall, and it has been designed as a permanently godawful place that can never be made otherwise even with all the firepower in the universe.
Jason von Evil wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:I looked up articles on John Norman and the 'Gor' series on Wikipedia. The description of the relationship between a hero WHO ENSLAVE WOMEN and the submissive who enjoys being enslaved is as repulsive as 'Rapeman' or any number of H-anime with tentacle demons in it-- my original choice for "Most Repulsive Sci-Fi."
You can't say its name. Why do you think we were avoiding it?
Saying "take Kor and replace K with a G" is stupid. The obvious intent of an alleged ban on the word 'Gor' would be to prevent the subject from ever being brought up in discussion and discussed. By referring to it as an alternate name you're still bringing up the subject.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Xeelee-verse.

Interesting place to read about, but when you see things like;
We are already dead. It's our duty to be dead. A brief life burns brightly
It shows how horrify such a civilization is.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

ggs wrote:Xeelee-verse.

Interesting place to read about, but when you see things like;
We are already dead. It's our duty to be dead. A brief life burns brightly
It shows how horrify such a civilization is.
Not all of it is bad, but the fascist-xenocidal phase humanity goes through is just nasty.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Imperial Overlord wrote:Not all of it is bad, but the fascist-xenocidal phase humanity goes through is just nasty.
True, but that period lastest for over 20000 years.

Also the various Alien races who utterly smash humanity into the sidewalk sure as hell isnt anything you would want to live through. Humanity got taken over by a single pocket of sentient mud to grow algae for export to other alien races as a food product.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Warhammer 40k takes the cake. I remember back when I was 12 and bought the 2nd edition of WH40k, expecting it to be something similar to Star Wars or the Foundation series... Let's just say I was a wee bit shocked after I had read the Codex Imperialis :D .

I like the universe, one of the best in my opinion, but it is a hideous place alright.
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Junghalli wrote:What I understand is quite different.
As long as you weren't Jewish or one of the other groups on their shit list, didn't make any waves, and gave lip service to them the Nazis usually pretty much left you alone. It wasn't exactly peachy living under them but with certain exceptions (their invasion of Russia for instance) they allowed you to continue something resembling a moderately human existence.

The Draka are more like the Mongols. They view and treat people in their conquered territories as their personal possessions, with the same legal and moral rights as a chair. When they roll into town they burn down the place, loot your house, rape your wife, and kill you and the rest of your family if you have the impertinence to resist. If you're unfortunate enough to live through that they will shove you into a train, deport you, sell you to the highest bidder, and you will spend the rest of your life as slave. Living in the Dominate is like living in a Russian gulag, albeit minus the freezing temperatures and starvation.
At least that's my understanding.
Nazi rhetoric talked about enslaving the foreigners, especially slavs etc in just that way. The Nazis planned to do all the bad shit the Draka did, they just didn't get the chance, due to being laid low by the allies.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

SirNitram wrote:We hate the Draka because it's poorly written shit.(Yes, I have no particular fear of an author whose posted here seeing that, flatly, I think his society is trash and the writing of it about the same.)

It's such a charmed, stupid existance that it's hard not to hate it.
While the alternate history is certainly shall-we-say... dubious, the fact that people hate the Draka so much, and think they're so evil, with that being the author's intent, shows a commendable level of writing skill.