Stephen Colbert’s Alpha Squad 7!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Stephen Colbert’s Alpha Squad 7!

Post by Nephtys »

What's the deal with SCAS7? I've been watching the Colbert Report (love the show) and he actually seems pretty serious about his rather funny book. Colbertnation.com has an 'except' from it that I find entertaining as a spoof on crappy pulp 60's Sci-fi...

Anyone know what the deal with it is? Is it going to be a real book or a gag?
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

The copy he had with him appeared to have no text in it, from what I saw; the pages looked to be completely blank. Not only that, but the one exerpt he read out seemed to simply be nothing but deliberate clichés, so I don't know if there could be an entire book (especially one that thick) based on that.

Definitely gag, I say.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:The copy he had with him appeared to have no text in it, from what I saw; the pages looked to be completely blank. Not only that, but the one exerpt he read out seemed to simply be nothing but deliberate clichés, so I don't know if there could be an entire book (especially one that thick) based on that.

Definitely gag, I say.
I doubted there's a real thick book... but a 20 page fanfic involving his adventures would be pretty funny, I think.
Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Post by Cosmic Average »

Chapter 26 - Abraxxia's Gambit

The ethereal harmonies of the laserpipe orchestra echoed off the solid diamond walls of the Galactic Overlord's pleasure chamber. As I slowly made my way through the gyrating throng of human, plasmid, and arachnoid revelers, the arcanite sensors on my integrated detectograph started going haywire. "Just as I thought," I thought. "She's here."

It was another two hundred ticks until I saw her, dancing languidly with a spice runner out of Betelgeuse VII. He was a hulking brute, with a wickedly edged macrosword slung over the back of his metaluminum armor, the kind that would have struck cold fear into the heart of a lesser man. But I was no lesser man. "Mind if I cut in?" I intoned, silencing the smuggler's enraged grumble of objection with a stealthy blast from my deliminator rifle.

"What took you so long?" cooed Abraxxia, her words subtly quavering with the universal inflections of desire. Ignoring my own fierce need, I furiously scanned my surroundings for danger -- she was crafty, and I knew that the slightest mistake would prove fatal. Not just for myself, but for the entire United Alliance. Inevitably, my gaze settled back upon the smooth curves of skin that peeked out from under her transparent holodress. How many rounds of Uranian Megasex would it take before she surrendered the alloy?
The excerpt.

Hilarious. :D
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Note to self: suddenly running across the word Megasex in class isn't a good thing. Snickers are hard to explain to the professor.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Wow...I would definitely love to read that. He should see how long he could spin that out...it could probably get to about ten pages' worth before it started getting too repetitive.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Oddysseus
Padawan Learner
Location: Operating secretly in the heartland of the Homeland.

Re: Stephen Colbert’s Alpha Squad 7!

Post by Oddysseus »

Nephtys wrote:What's the deal with SCAS7? I've been watching the Colbert Report (love the show) and he actually seems pretty serious about his rather funny book. Colbertnation.com has an 'except' from it that I find entertaining as a spoof on crappy pulp 60's Sci-fi...

Anyone know what the deal with it is? Is it going to be a real book or a gag?
As so much of the show is, it is a play on the various pundits. A number of them (and politicians) write fiction (like Gingrich's Sgt. York redux). :lol:

Specifically, Bill O'Reilly likes to write hard boiled detective books. REALLY bad stuff, cliched and full of sex young women giving themselves over to the tough a megamacho PI (read Bill O'Reilly's alter ego). It is a sad thing to see. :shock:

Colbert turned it towards more his personality, him being a Tolkien nutter and big scifi fan. He brought out the inner sad sad scifi geek. 8)

You should look at the online fanfics at the colbertnation.com . He puts Gandalf and others in their place as well. Funny stuff. :lol:
- Odd Jack, Jaded Skeptic
--- jadedskeptic.blogspot.com
- "The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry."
"The universe is a strange and wondrous place. The truth is quite odd enough to need no help from pseudoscientific charlatans." - Richard Dawkins