Heavy Gear vs Battletech.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

PainRack wrote:Except the classification is based on how much damage is dealt to the target, at what range. Not what the weapon is.
What I've been saying that, as a classification system, this stinks.
Errata: The Scattergun fires rounds at a much faster VELOCITY. Not ROF, than the "standard" 20mm gun.

Check my earlier post, alternatively, Bulldog TR 3026.
I have, among other TR's in the 3026 book:
Battletech TR 3026: Bulldog Medium Tank p58 wrote:The Bulldog Minigun is a small machine-gun mounted in the bow of the tank. Like most miniguns, it sacrifices a heavy-caliber round for a high rate of fire.
Similar tradeoffs are seen in other vehicles:
Battletech TR 3026: Scorpion Light Tank p22 wrote:The 20mm gatling gun is a time-proven weapon, giving the Scorpion good defensive firepower with plenty of punch. Though some users of the tank have tried 30mm machine guns, the Gatling gun's high rate of fire makes larger shells unnecessary.
Battletech TR 3026: Personal Scale Weapons p108 wrote:The Support Machine Gun is similar in design to the machine guns used on 'Mechs. In general, most Sp-MG's are a smaller caliber than most 'Mech Equivalents, but have a higher rate of fire...the Sp-MG weighs 40 kilograms.
And? Who said that ammo jams are limited to autocannons only? The assasin is infamous for its missiles jamming. If its solely autocannon, then the Orion 19 round clip then.
We went from jamming due, potentially, to heat issues, to jamming due to any issue whatsoever. It's a bit of a jump and a deviation.
From what I understand of latin, ferrous does mean iron in nature, although it used to indicate magnetism.

More importantly, the key emphasis is on the aluminium or titanium forming the basis or majority of the armour. Even then, its clearly seen through effects and comments on how fragile aerospace fighters are compared to mechs, that the protection afforded by aerospace armour is weaker.
It can be, but in this case, I don't think you'd actually want mech armor to be magnetic.
Secondly, you missed the point.

The weapons are the SAME. Mech weapons and AT weapons are equivalent in every aspect. Therefore, the fact that the lasers in AT don't dissipate out at 450m is proof that the "true" range of these weapons are kilometers in nature, and as such, against any other force like modern earth or possibly HG, the AT range should be the one used.
You, I'm afraid, have missed the point. At 450m and up, a medium laser no longer requires the minimum amount of energy to ablate even one point of mech armor. That it still has enough energy to do damage to aerospace fighters is irrelevant. No armor in BTech can be held comperable to any armor in any other universe through direct armor/protection comparison, as it is a fallacious arguement. One must take the firepower against everyday objects and protection against conventional things into perspective when deriving relative firepower and protection values.
This is an inescapable point. While projectile weapons like the ACs and Gauss rifle may be dismissed due to speed and mass problems, missiles are discounted thanks to their extremely low payload, energy weapons don't suffer from a "realism" flaw in the range theory. Therefore, there is no reason why mech energy weapons cannot compare to the ranges of modern tank guns, with the only flaw against modern units being their relatively weaker accuracy.(Abysmal comes into play once we input game mechanics. Actually, make that horrendously, cursed with Jinxed and blinded.)
Actually, my point still stands. You've done nothing to disprove it, just show that AT fighters are considerably less resiliant than mechs, which have already proven to be much less than potent in resisting damage. If destroying mechs is relatively easy, AT will die in droves to the dedicated air defenses of HG.
I'm suggesting that the conductive ability of the armour is fast. Considering the relative unstability of the platforms, it not unrealistic.
Its required under the various timings we worked out. Energy weapons shouldn't be firing longer than the 0.9s of projectile weapons and its specifically mentioned that mechs can "evade" enemy fire. Given the absurdity against energy weapons, the armour must be key to this evasive ability.
Evasion is simply the art of not being where the barrel is pointed at the time the other guy pulls the trigger. Either against a cannon or a laser, if you're lined up with the barrel when the other guy pulls the trigger, you're boned.

Okay, so the conductive ability of the armor is fast. It doesn't change the fact that a small laser which has to be amped up in power in order to one-shot wood houses into combustion can still ablate mech armor. Given that minimum ablation level, things don't look good, to be honest.
It was just described to be in a run..... assuming max running speed, that would be 65kph. Of course, I can't give you the speed of the target, therefore, no relative speeds.
Well, we can do three or four calculations, with different variables each time. One standing still, one walking, one running, one in reverse, and so on.
Skidding actually occurs on "smooth" terrain.. like city roads and ice.
We'll use city roads, as that's a reasonably steady terrain. Ice is just unfair.

Other Btechers have done the numbers before. LC for example did a relatively exhaustive series, including matching it to armour point value. They're absurdly low. Especially for the physical calcs, which are extremely high value for the punching and kicking calcs.
Don't suppose you have a link to them, do you?
Anyway, I was rereadig a novel. Despite my dislike for the novel in terms of technical accuracy,(despite the fact that the author authors Btech sourcebooks, he still can conflict with them. Sigh)

Anyway, because i was doing some research on T&T for the technical thread, I just thought I post some firepower related quotes here, so I can combine them later in that thread anyway.
then turned quickly and fired his support laser at the enemy foot soldier who had managed to sneak around behind him.The weapon, designed for use against armor, left nothing behind but a pair of high-gloss combat boots trailing wisps of smoke where the DCMS soldier had been.
Chapter 20, Test of Vengenance. We ignore why the boots are "glossy". Like I said, the author is the worst of both worlds. As a Btech sourcebook author, he display no common sense. As a Btech novelist, he ignores the finer details of Btech, going for Btech lite.
Well, I can definately see why you don't like that author.
she blasted her Viper into the air on pillars of flame shooting from its three-toed feet. In moments, it rose above the forest canopy and out of sight.
Proof that trees were taller than mechs.
I...um, don't recall ever disputing that. Mechs tend to range from 7-10m in height. There are many trees much taller than that in the world.

However, if you want to be technical, the way it is worded does not necessary indicate the mech itself was taller than the trees, just that its jump jets were capable of propelling it higher than the treeline.
A massive explosion erupted less than fifty meters away, tearing up trees by their roots and sending them flying in all directions. one hit Ben's Nova square in the shoulder, and the Mech staggered back a few steps.
Chapter 20, Test of Vengenance.
Oddly enough, it suggests that aerospace fighters bombs(presumably GP and laserguided) are strong enough to uproot 12-15m tall trees and send them flying 50m, to impact on a mech.
Hate to say it, but a stick of dynamite can demolish a tree easily enough. Additionally, such an impact should have shredded the trees easily. Wood does not react well to high levels of force, especially untreated living wood.
Its not directly contraindicated, unlike the SMGs and DEST portion....... but nowhere is it suggested in BMR that the bombs are that powerful. Unless of course, the aerospace fighters are delivering much more powerful bombs than norm. Still, why would any self-respecting force drop a bomb that's concentrated towards over-pressure as opposed to damage?

Like I said, the author the worst of both worlds. No common sense, contradicts the gritty details of Btech.
Yeah, that author seems to be smoking something. A bomb detonates 50m away and tosses trees around, but the explosive force itself doesn't touch the mech? Ah well.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Hotfoot wrote: We went from jamming due, potentially, to heat issues, to jamming due to any issue whatsoever. It's a bit of a jump and a deviation.
I never said that the autocannon jammed because of heat issue. I pointed out that the autocannon exploded, because the ammunition jammed and exploded inside the barrel. An engineering flaw, in early Enforcer models.
You, I'm afraid, have missed the point. At 450m and up, a medium laser no longer requires the minimum amount of energy to ablate even one point of mech armor. That it still has enough energy to do damage to aerospace fighters is irrelevant. No armor in BTech can be held comperable to any armor in any other universe through direct armor/protection comparison, as it is a fallacious arguement. One must take the firepower against everyday objects and protection against conventional things into perspective when deriving relative firepower and protection values.
I'm sorry, but in that case, what this means is that I just have to redo the calcs and sub in aluminium or titanium instead of steel, to dervive damage values for the laser at ranges of 6km plus. Of course, it will be much harder, because I never had the notes for the melting points of aluminium or titanium, whereas I can dig up those old A level questions which had the melting point of steel.

The point remains the same. Mechs are capable of engaging targets at kilometers range.
Actually, my point still stands. You've done nothing to disprove it, just show that AT fighters are considerably less resiliant than mechs, which have already proven to be much less than potent in resisting damage. If destroying mechs is relatively easy, AT will die in droves to the dedicated air defenses of HG.
Oh.. I think once you do the physical calcs and compare them to the gauss rifle calc, you change your mind about how "handwavium" isn't neccesary to explain mech armour.
Don't suppose you have a link to them, do you?
The SB forum archives are proving extremely stubborn..... that is, if it still in there. Many of the older posts are gone now.

Me, I'm just thankful that my hyperspace theory was reposted here on SD before the archive purged it.
I...um, don't recall ever disputing that. Mechs tend to range from 7-10m in height. There are many trees much taller than that in the world.

However, if you want to be technical, the way it is worded does not necessary indicate the mech itself was taller than the trees, just that its jump jets were capable of propelling it higher than the treeline.
It was not meant for dispute. It was meant to establish a size limit for the tree that was thrown at Ben mech. Certainly, a small sapling that was thrown 50m away isn't surprising.

Also, the viewpoint was from Lita Vulture. Therefore, the mech rising above the treeline suggests that the treeline was above Lita Mad Dog.
Hate to say it, but a stick of dynamite can demolish a tree easily enough. Additionally, such an impact should have shredded the trees easily. Wood does not react well to high levels of force, especially untreated living wood.
Well......... depends on what you mean by demolish. Its odd to find a bomb that will create the kind of overpressure that will rip a tree up and sending it flying 50m away.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

PainRack wrote:I'm sorry, but in that case, what this means is that I just have to redo the calcs and sub in aluminium or titanium instead of steel, to dervive damage values for the laser at ranges of 6km plus. Of course, it will be much harder, because I never had the notes for the melting points of aluminium or titanium, whereas I can dig up those old A level questions which had the melting point of steel.

The point remains the same. Mechs are capable of engaging targets at kilometers range.
Sorry, but no. Aluminum and titanium alone are not sufficient to withstand the rigors of re-entry. Never mind that once again, the specific alloys used in the construction of Aerospace fighters are not directly applicable to modern day untreated metals.
Oh.. I think once you do the physical calcs and compare them to the gauss rifle calc, you change your mind about how "handwavium" isn't neccesary to explain mech armour.
The Gauss rifle can be set aside for the moment, especially since the amount of force it puts out doesn't look like it can be anywhere near what it's supposed to be. Using the autocannons, missiles, and lasers and their effects on naturally existing materials (i.e. not something that was forged in a factory under extreme conditions), we can derive values from there. The Gauss rifle seems to have been built under the assumption that Magnetically Accelerated weapons have virtually no recoil, or at least substantially less than traditional kinetic weapons. Did I mention that the calcs I did previously were still pretty generous, and assumed the mech had a barrel almost as long as it was tall?
The SB forum archives are proving extremely stubborn..... that is, if it still in there. Many of the older posts are gone now.

Me, I'm just thankful that my hyperspace theory was reposted here on SD before the archive purged it.
Well, if you can find them again, please do.
It was not meant for dispute. It was meant to establish a size limit for the tree that was thrown at Ben mech. Certainly, a small sapling that was thrown 50m away isn't surprising.

Also, the viewpoint was from Lita Vulture. Therefore, the mech rising above the treeline suggests that the treeline was above Lita Mad Dog.
It's not a major point, but I'm just saying the wording is phrased in such a way as to be ambiguous. It can mean either the treeline was already taller than the height of the mech, or that the lowest part of the mech was raised above it.
Well......... depends on what you mean by demolish. Its odd to find a bomb that will create the kind of overpressure that will rip a tree up and sending it flying 50m away.
By demolish, I mean rip into sticks and splinters. Quarter sticks of dynamite are used to remove the roots of recently cut trees.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

By the way, the impact from a Gauss rifle round at 114kg sped up to your high-end value of Mach 5.5 has the force of a small nuke. This is why I'm saying it's unrealistic, especially when compared to other forces seen in the BTech world.

100,195,312,500 N
or 1*10^11

An inelastic collision with a 100 ton mech, well...
F/m=a
100,195,312,500/100000 = 1001953.125

2*1001953.125(0.002) = v^2
4007.8125 = v^2
v ~= 63 m/s
63m/s = 226.8 kph
Or just under the speed of sound.

That's a 100 ton mech. The force of the acceleration would likely turn whoever was unfortunate to be inside into paste.
The Realm of Confusion
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Sorry, I'm off by a factor of ten on the speed of sound bit.

Still, the force of the impact is obscene.
The Realm of Confusion
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Hotfoot wrote:
The Dark wrote:It would certainly reduce the number, but it must also be remembered that the failure was 8th Fleet being unable to remain in orbit to support and add to the ground forces. The attack on Baja Launch Facility (the second drop) was the only time during the War they managed to penetrate the drone screen around Terra Nova. Currently only two Fleets have Frames (3rd and 8th), so the majority of the Fleets are the old-fashioned ones, relying on GRELs and the hovervehicles (APC, MBT, and Arty).
True. Still, I'd imagine that whenever a replacement is made from troops for Frames, it would be something like a 10-1 ratio or something similar, just due to the mass and space involved. May be slightly more or less, but I'd estimate it's in that ballpark.
Ummm...probably. Combat Frames are only about 6-7 tonnes, or about the size of a GP Gear. Currently Frames are assigned to recon and fire support teams, but with APCs and infantry attached due to a lack of Frames. GRELs barely use the Frames (average of 1 Frame per company for the only Battle Group from the 5th that's detailed), and they're added to already existing formations, rather than replacing. There'd obviously have to be a reduction somewhere, but since 5th is still planet-bound it's uncertain where.
:D. Some information's in the Black Talon book, some in the three space books. Accelerations range from about 0.2g for Gateships (placing them at Jumpship levels) to 4g for slow battleships (roughly equivalent to a quick Warship) to 9g for the Northern space fighter (similar to medium Aerospace fighters)
Hmm, nice, but that's pretty much combat burn only. How long can they maintain burn for?
Ah, didn't look at the BP. Ranges from just over 2 minutes for the stealth craft, up to about a quarter of an hour for the best Terra Novan craft (which are really orbital defense craft). CEF ships tend to have about 20 minutes of full thrust, but can maintain a low acceleration for longer periods of time. All ships tend to coast a fairly large portion of the time.
True, but they can use the gates every 12 hours, while a Jumpship or Warship will need 182 hours to recharge for a second jump from Terra Nova.
Good point, forgot for a moment about the LY and number of jumps a BT ship could make. Isn't it something like 2 jumps in a row max, more maybe if you risk blowing the capacitors? Also, do you recall the ranges, and the distances between colonies in HG?
If a JumpShip has special batteries it can jump twice, otherwise it has to recharge the drive. As far as the ranges between colonies, it's noted that the Gates allow jumps of "thousands of light-years," although that's darned unspecific. Ah, found a better one. The distance from Earth to Portal (the system between Earth and Caprice) is ~7700 light-years, or at least 257 Jumps using a K-F Drive. Assuming every jump is to a B0 star, which will recharge the drive the quickest, it would take 4.43 years for a K-F ship to reach Earth from Portal. Helios (Terra Nova) is actually slightly closer, being 3980 light-years (2.29 years) away from Earth toward Galactic North. I'm not sure how far Caprice is from Portal or Earth, and I know very little about Jotenheim, Botany Bay, Utopia, Eden, Atlantis, Home, or New Jerusalem, since I don't have any of their sourcebooks.

Did find one semi-number. A Gatedrive requires "many terawatts" to operate, so there's at least somewhat of a minimum limit for power transfer capabilities.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

The Dark wrote:Ummm...probably. Combat Frames are only about 6-7 tonnes, or about the size of a GP Gear. Currently Frames are assigned to recon and fire support teams, but with APCs and infantry attached due to a lack of Frames. GRELs barely use the Frames (average of 1 Frame per company for the only Battle Group from the 5th that's detailed), and they're added to already existing formations, rather than replacing. There'd obviously have to be a reduction somewhere, but since 5th is still planet-bound it's uncertain where.
Well, I can always do some rough calculations, one concerning tonnage, one concerning volume, see what I get. Anyway, interesting that they use them as attachments. In Raids and Raiders, they seem to be using them in a setup similar to TN's deployment protocols.
Ah, didn't look at the BP. Ranges from just over 2 minutes for the stealth craft, up to about a quarter of an hour for the best Terra Novan craft (which are really orbital defense craft). CEF ships tend to have about 20 minutes of full thrust, but can maintain a low acceleration for longer periods of time. All ships tend to coast a fairly large portion of the time.
Yes, and if the ranges and power of the guns are any indication, chances are combat wouldn't last long enough for the ships to run out of fuel.
If a JumpShip has special batteries it can jump twice, otherwise it has to recharge the drive. As far as the ranges between colonies, it's noted that the Gates allow jumps of "thousands of light-years," although that's darned unspecific. Ah, found a better one. The distance from Earth to Portal (the system between Earth and Caprice) is ~7700 light-years, or at least 257 Jumps using a K-F Drive. Assuming every jump is to a B0 star, which will recharge the drive the quickest, it would take 4.43 years for a K-F ship to reach Earth from Portal. Helios (Terra Nova) is actually slightly closer, being 3980 light-years (2.29 years) away from Earth toward Galactic North. I'm not sure how far Caprice is from Portal or Earth, and I know very little about Jotenheim, Botany Bay, Utopia, Eden, Atlantis, Home, or New Jerusalem, since I don't have any of their sourcebooks.
Oh, yeah. Forgot about that. Ouch, that pretty much screws the pooch on BTech being able to effectively hit all the colonies at once. Imagine the pain if they started with Caprice, and everyone in HG united against them. That would be one hell of a meat grinder.

Meanwhile, if Tannhauser gates are as common as indicated in the story books, it's entirely possible for large portions of the Inner Sphere to be connected if a vs. scenario were to take place.
Did find one semi-number. A Gatedrive requires "many terawatts" to operate, so there's at least somewhat of a minimum limit for power transfer capabilities.
Mmm, indeed. I'll look for the proposed power values given to vehicle-scaled energy weapons. If nothing else, HG energy storage seems to trump that of BT by a large scale.
The Realm of Confusion
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Hotfoot wrote:
The Dark wrote:Ummm...probably. Combat Frames are only about 6-7 tonnes, or about the size of a GP Gear. Currently Frames are assigned to recon and fire support teams, but with APCs and infantry attached due to a lack of Frames. GRELs barely use the Frames (average of 1 Frame per company for the only Battle Group from the 5th that's detailed), and they're added to already existing formations, rather than replacing. There'd obviously have to be a reduction somewhere, but since 5th is still planet-bound it's uncertain where.
Well, I can always do some rough calculations, one concerning tonnage, one concerning volume, see what I get. Anyway, interesting that they use them as attachments. In Raids and Raiders, they seem to be using them in a setup similar to TN's deployment protocols.
Raids and Raiders is two years after the CEF book, so it's possible they altered deployment protocols after experience dealing with Black Talons and Liberati. I notice the 22nd Battle Group's Alpha Patrol (Section 3.3.3, page 46 of R&R) is still using a pair of HPCs with Battle Frames, though, which is the old deployment method, while Beta Patrol is entirely Frames.
Yes, and if the ranges and power of the guns are any indication, chances are combat wouldn't last long enough for the ships to run out of fuel.
It seems to pretty much be similar to submarine warfare. Ships try to hide until they're within kill range, then eliminate their opponent with one shot. The main exception comes if they use drone swarms to overwhelm a target from beyond weapons range.
Oh, yeah. Forgot about that. Ouch, that pretty much screws the pooch on BTech being able to effectively hit all the colonies at once. Imagine the pain if they started with Caprice, and everyone in HG united against them. That would be one hell of a meat grinder.

Meanwhile, if Tannhauser gates are as common as indicated in the story books, it's entirely possible for large portions of the Inner Sphere to be connected if a vs. scenario were to take place.
Looks to be 13 Gates leading from Caprice. One leads indirectly to Earth, two to Terra Nova (one direct, one indirect), one to Atlantis, and one to Utopia. The other eight are not fully explored (none goes more than two jumps), and no new exploration's occurred since before the Ice Age on Earth, since the UEG/CEF has been more concerned with reclaiming the Colonies. The Main Book (Into the Eye of the Storm) has a decent Web Map in the front, with dates for when each system was discovered.
Mmm, indeed. I'll look for the proposed power values given to vehicle-scaled energy weapons. If nothing else, HG energy storage seems to trump that of BT by a large scale.
Light Pulse Laser for vehicles is 17.5 megawatts, Heavy is 35. Gatling Lasers use a trio of 10 MW lasing tubes.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Hotfoot wrote: ]Sorry, but no. Aluminum and titanium alone are not sufficient to withstand the rigors of re-entry. Never mind that once again, the specific alloys used in the construction of Aerospace fighters are not directly applicable to modern day untreated metals.
Are you really, simply, unable to understand the concepts known as a lower limit?

We know that the true energy required to melt AT armour is higher, in lieu of any defensive mechanism and etc. However, we also know that the amount of energy required CANNOT be lower than that required to melt aluminium/titanium. Especially if we use a simple specific heat of melting, as opposed to doing the whole thermokinetics(or is it dynamics, since we're talking about energy?)
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

PainRack wrote:Are you really, simply, unable to understand the concepts known as a lower limit?
Are you? You can make an alloy of something that has a lower melting point than the original materials. As with ANY armor, we have to derive the thermal properties by comparing how a directed energy weapon reacts with it, and in order to get a good value of the firepower of such a weapon, we have to compare it to raw materials as found in the universe, untouched by us. This is how Mike got the basic firepower calcs for Star Wars, by showing how much power would be required to vaporize an asteroid like we see turbolasers doing in Empire Strikes Back. From there, he derived how powerful the bolt is, and thus how powerful the shields and armor are.
We know that the true energy required to melt AT armour is higher, in lieu of any defensive mechanism and etc. However, we also know that the amount of energy required CANNOT be lower than that required to melt aluminium/titanium. Especially if we use a simple specific heat of melting, as opposed to doing the whole thermokinetics(or is it dynamics, since we're talking about energy?)
Once again, you do not use raw metals in the design of vehicles, and alloys do not share all the same properties of the raw metal. Moreover, we can see the effects of the weapons ON raw materials, in addition to stated power ratings.

Additionally, you just argued that the energy required to destroy AT armor is, in fact, lower than is required for BTech armor. Make up your mind.
The Realm of Confusion