Tetsuo Shima Versus the Multi-verse (Spoilers, Ho!)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

Tetsuo Shima Versus the Multi-verse (Spoilers, Ho!)

Post by Sharpshooter »

A couple of nights ago, I finished off the Akira manga after an eight-hour spree, and I'm quite interested on just where Tetsuo Shima lies on the scale of big, bad, nastiness and such. So: taking the abilities observed in the manga (it's been eons since I saw the film, so I'll have to hunt it down and watch it again if you want to do the film Tetsuo) just who can he trump, and who will make him figuratively bow in humility? Would a 40K Psyker be able to handle the job? Perhaps Palpatine, with his UNLIMITED POWER!!!1ShiftPlusOne? The Man of Steel, maybe? Or would some janitor from the Culture itself actually have to give an annoyed glance in his general direction before he's reduced to absolute nothingness?

Assume that this is pre-mutation Tetsuo, just before the Power hits the limit of his body's capacity and starts transforming to try and accomodate it.

Regarding the various abilities Tetsuo displays, I've split them into two catagories: Passive/Physical and Active/Controlled

Passive/Physical:

Increased tolorence for/reduced sensitivity to pain and injury: at several points throughout the manga, Tetsuo gets or should be injured in various manners, including being shot by standard firearms and falling several stories onto a parked car. His body's biological systems also show extreme resilience to narcotics and toxins. Early in development, he injects himself with a narcotic so strong that a single drop is said to cause extreme incapacitation or outright death. He survives his initial ingestion of the Pill, which is shown to cause anneurisms and death anywhere from mere seconds to minutes after being consumed. Near the end of the manga, he is shot with a dart containing an extremily powerful biological weapon produced by the Americans, and the drug proves to have the exact opposite effect, actually helping him out (though technically, this is post-mutation, but when he's in his controlled humanoid form, so treat this as you will).

Increased healing: when injured, Tetsuo displays considerably powerful healing abilities in regard to light and moderate injuries. Early on, he heals from a gunshot at a rate at which after a few days one would not know he was injured, and later, if memory serves me right, is able to recover from multiple gunshot wounds in a short period of time. Post-transformation, roughly just before the bio-weapon incident, he is able to fully regenerate the arm that he lost when the Sol orbital laser was fired on him (again, same conditions as the bio-weapon incident, but might be plausable at the given stage for the analysis, given the short time period between the assumed status and the power's manifestation).

Increased resilience to extreme environments: despite being exposed to environments far beyond the human body's capacity to withstand, Tetsuo shows little to no sign of being affected. A small amount of time after the Power begins to develop, he walks into a chamber with a temperature near absolute zero and is unaffected, while a person nearby is frozen over completily. Late in the manga, he is exposed to hard vacuum and experiences no ill effects. Shortly thereafter, he rides a satellite Strangelove-style as it falls through the atmosphere and hits an American naval fleet.

Active/Controlled:

Telekinesis: Tetsuo displays the ability to move and/or interact with objects of varying sizes to varying effects, and includes a wide array of scaled manifestations. Most well-known is his ability to induce internal bleeding and extremily high pressure in certain areas of the body, ranging from anneurisms and heavy bleeding/skin tearing in the limbs and skull to total destruction of the head. He is able to levitate and move objects of varying size, from screws and small vehicles to armed satellites in Earth's orbit. With the Power, he is able to create impact forces capable of ripping apart wooden floors and metal plating.

Pyrokinesis/Energy Control: Similar to the way in which Akira destroyed Tokyo, Tetsuo is able to release varying amounts of energy of varying sizes in various manners, with blast sizes ranging from the size of a child's bed to one that puts a Death Star-esque crater in the moon (will have the picture available for scaling and calculations on request).

Teleportation: Is able to teleport from point to point nearly (if not) instantly. Longest displayed range is the distance from the Earth to the moon.

Matter Control/Intigration: Relatively unknown, and only manifests majorly after mutation, but may have possibly developed after the Sol bombardment. Is able to manipulate matter and integrate it into his own body for use: was able to take control of a fighter plane and later a battleship post-transformation. Pre-transformation use appears to be in the form of the replacement left arm he uses after the Sol attack.
This has been another blunder by you friendly local idiot.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Akira level psykers are able to do things that would scare the willies out of any jedi or sith lord. You'd have to go with a culture weapon displaced directly into his body to stop him. Failing that SW rated energy blasts suddenly appearing on his head may work.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:Akira level psykers are able to do things that would scare the willies out of any jedi or sith lord. You'd have to go with a culture weapon displaced directly into his body to stop him. Failing that SW rated energy blasts suddenly appearing on his head may work.
Even the latter might not work, unless it was a couple dozen heavy turbolaser shots; he survived that one giant orbital laser with almost no damage other than the arm.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

Post by Sharpshooter »

A Jedi or Sith might be able to pull it off, but they would probably have to be part of the highest echelon of force users and be backed up with some damn heavy artillery. He got whacked by that laser a couple of times, actually, and it was only after he'd lost control and had been mindfucked by the Three that he became suspectable to any real damage. If recent comments about 40K Librarians are valid, one or two of them would probably have the capacity to mentally render him inert, or at least vulnerable to conventional arms, and a few Jedi or Sith who're willing to get down and dirty mentally could possibly have an effect. This would depend, though, upon the ability to get the shot in - since Tetsuo hasn't gone berserk at this point, he might be able to ward any attempts off before they can cause any real effects.

For those who are interested, I isolated some of the panals from the manga that might prove good for just what kind of stuff Tetsuo can dish out or take.

Remember that big-ass crater I was talking about earlier? This is it. If I had to give a size estimation for the crater (provided Wikipedia is right) I'd eyeball it at being about...four to six hundred kilometers. THis is mere guessing based on listed diameters and comparisons, though, so take it with a heap of salt.

This is the best screenshot of a Sol laser blast that could allow for any decent scaling. There's an interesting note, though: a scientest who jury-figs a portal trigger/tracker for the satellite says to keep at least ten meters from the target unless you've got a death wish, which implies that the blast may actually be weak in terms of actual destructiveness - take this as you will, however, when compared with the image above (there are a few others, but don't serve well for scaling and such).

This, this, this, and this show off possibly-scalable images of the Floyd orbital laser used by the Americans.
Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

Post by Sharpshooter »

ADDENDUM: Crap, the Sol image got downsized something awful by Photobucket. I'll muck around with the source and see if I can get it to something larger.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

The God Emperor of Man.

When you need the best, accept no substitutes.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Mind you, I've never read the Manga (note to self, yoink them from suitemate when we get back to school). But wasn't Kaneda holding his own against Tetsuo for quite some time? Even actually managing to almost cause him some rather grievous harm, I know in the movie Kaneda almost gets Tetsuo with one of those lasers. So I'd say that, yeah, Tetsuo has a crapload of power, but he can't really control it. A normal person, no matter how bad ass, was still able to hold his own for awhile.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Captain Cyran wrote:Mind you, I've never read the Manga (note to self, yoink them from suitemate when we get back to school). But wasn't Kaneda holding his own against Tetsuo for quite some time? Even actually managing to almost cause him some rather grievous harm, I know in the movie Kaneda almost gets Tetsuo with one of those lasers. So I'd say that, yeah, Tetsuo has a crapload of power, but he can't really control it. A normal person, no matter how bad ass, was still able to hold his own for awhile.
Kaneda has the character shields from hell in the manga. He nearly gets the "blown-up head" treatment on several occasions and narrowly avoids death in situations where many, many other people die. Kaneda's dumb luck far outweighs his skills, which themselves are pretty impressive.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Most planetary scale* superheroes and beyond could stop him. They're used to dealing with forces at least that destructive.

But to name a single individual who could compete on every front, The Doctor, of The Authority. The Doctor can pretty much change anything into anything else, cross dimensions at will, and play sillybuggers with the normal order of the universe just by wanting it, even selectively holding something like a country in place, whilst the rest of the world keeps turning. The laws of physics are, pretty much, his bitch.

(* ie. those from any given universe that form the first response to planetary scale threats, rather than local scale threats)
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Wasn't the Moon Crater a co-operative effort between Tetsuo and Akira? I seem to remember them doing it together during their presentation to the masses of the Neo Tokyian Empire.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Wasn't the Moon Crater a co-operative effort between Tetsuo and Akira? I seem to remember them doing it together during their presentation to the masses of the Neo Tokyian Empire.
Funny, I thought it was just Tetsuo trying to "please" Akira. Akira himself never used anything else that the big black hole of doom AFAIK.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Having the manga in front of me, here, the dialogue seems to indicate that the moon-blast was entirely of Tetsuo's doing. Akira just sits on earth, waiting for Tetsuo to return.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Wasn't the Moon Crater a co-operative effort between Tetsuo and Akira? I seem to remember them doing it together during their presentation to the masses of the Neo Tokyian Empire.
I Don't think Akira could focuse his powers on such a minute scale (Tetsuo was nearly driven insane by trying to guage Akira's powers), and it seemed to be Tetsuo alone.

Akira would probably be a warp god, he was apparently re-creating the birth of the universe multiple times.

Wasn't it hinted that Kaneda had natural (Non forced) psychic abilites?, the fact is that he was shown to have Rincewind level character shielding, Tetsuo was using the american navy (And way before that the bike gang) as dishrags.

The Twins from 40k might do it, they're a pair of twins, the most deadly psyker assasains in the imperium and have a psyker rating above alpha plus (Zerox, I think- they slaughtered hundreds of well trained inquisitors and many thousnads of inquisitorial guards after slaughtering the inhabitants of the black ship they were on).
Also Galactus or Onslaught would do it easily, but that is cheating :P .
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Akira never actually does anything consciously for the entire course of the manga. The only things he does is flatten Tokyo when he loses control, and absorb Tetsuo's power when he loses control (causing them both to disappear).
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

A few years ago, The People© decided that Goku could take him...
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Battlehymn Republic wrote:A few years ago, The People© decided that Goku could take him...
They also decided a Borg Cube could take the Death Star, did they not?
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

MRDOD wrote:
Battlehymn Republic wrote:A few years ago, The People© decided that Goku could take him...
They also decided a Borg Cube could take the Death Star, did they not?
Actually, they decided the DS would win, although it was far too close.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

DEATH wrote: The Twins from 40k might do it, they're a pair of twins, the most deadly psyker assasains in the imperium and have a psyker rating above alpha plus (Zerox, I think- they slaughtered hundreds of well trained inquisitors and many thousnads of inquisitorial guards after slaughtering the inhabitants of the black ship they were on).
Also Galactus or Onslaught would do it easily, but that is cheating :P .
The Apex Twins.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

The Nameless Metabaron could perhaps do the trick, after all he could smash out the brains of pterodactyls with his TK before he could walk, and can also telekinetically grill a super-heavily armoured cyborg's internal circuits. (according to the last volume of The Metabarons) And, said cyborg had seemingly impenetrable armour in a setting where one-man fighter aircraft have planet-killing weaponry.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Goku probably could take Tetsuo, since in GT he drew all the spirit energy in the universe into a single spirit bomb to destroy Omega Shinron. Assuming, of course, he manages to avoid Tetsuo using his telekinesis to tear him limb from limb. Akira would probably rip Goku a new one, if he actually used his power, though.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Darth Sephiroth
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Sephiroth »

Kyp Durron if he had the suncrusher, jump in take out system, jump out, mission accomplished...
Need Backup!
My Employer ID is: 29877
See the New Imperium (Please check this out we need people there)