Contradictions in B5

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Morat
Padawan Learner

Post by Morat »

Let's start with Phase-Density Shifting and Tesseracting. The first is like the Phase Cloaking Device from Star Trek...
There is no such thing as 'phase-density shifting' in Andromeda. The crew realise that that explanation of Jeger's trick is wrong when they find out about Tesseracts.
while the other is dimensional and has been used to remove the Vedran star system from this universe. A test of this technology on the Andromeda caused temporal and spacial distortions aligned with the door and hallways of the ship, as well as effects on a nearby planet.
That was an Alice String device. It is similar to a tesseracting machine, but not the same.
Maxim charges, a Nietchien (sp?) explosive device that can supposedly destroy a planet in a manner similiar to the Death Star.
So? Sure, that much antimatter would cost a bundle, but why couldn't such a thing be produced?

The Spirit of the Abyss, who was able to stop the nova-like effect of a Nova Bomb upon the central star on his Magog World Ship.
Considering that he had enough control over gravity to hold the MWS together in the first place, I don't see pulling in some loose plasma as being all that spectacular (especially if the normal gravity well had already reasserted itself).
Using Slipstream to accidently go back in time, and then being able to easily fix the mistake and make it back to their own time.
The time travel thing wasn't the least bit accidental.
Nova bombs are supposedly gravity reversers, and 40 were sufficient to invert the gravity of a black hole.
Or gravity nullifiers.

Theoretically speaking (and this is my own theory), since gravity is its own antiparticle, might it not be possible to make gravity destructively interfere with itself, as photons have been known to do?
Harper built an uber-Nova Bomb, that to believe some fans has the ability to destroy a galaxy...
I agree. That's pretty rediculous. I don't recall it being confirmed by canon, though, so it's not particularly relevant.
as it was used to destroy the device powerering some extra-dimensional invaders doorway, which was stated to be using the power of an entire galaxies stars.
Or the equilvalent, or (like PSP's), it 'cheats' the theoretical energy requirement somehow.
LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

Explaining the Black Star incedent is easy...

It was an example of the "Golden Twinkie" effect.

What is a Golden Twinkie? It's a shell/missle/bomb/etc that the target's armor SHOULD be proof against, and is 99.999% of the time, but due to pure luck, the GT hits just right, at just the right time, to actualy cause serrious damage. The most famous example of the Golden Twinkie is the HMS Hood, though the IJN Taiho is another example (I hope I spelled that last one right).

(translation : It's entirely possible that the nukes set off some sort of fuel, ammo, or other volitile substance, that wasn't properly secured, and that's the true cause of the Black Star's destruction.)
There is no problem to dificult for a signifigantly large enough quantity of C-4 to handle.
If you're leaving scorch marks, you aren't using a big enough gun.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

LordChaos wrote:(translation : It's entirely possible that the nukes set off some sort of fuel, ammo, or other volitile substance, that wasn't properly secured, and that's the true cause of the Black Star's destruction.)
The captain fell over laughing at the sight of a 2MT nuke and fell onto the self-destruct switch. :D

Seriously, a 2MT nuke at that distance doesn't pack enough punch to detonate a stick of dynmite loosely wrapped in a few dozen layers of aluminium foil. I think this puts the kill well outside of golden BB territory.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.