Space Military Nomeclature

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Actually, with current trends, I think that the USA will be the first with a space force because we are already pushing for space weapons in which China among other countries are objecting to wanting to keep weapons out of space. Anywayz, Ships will not be manned and be controlled by either the ship AI or a combination of of ship AI and maintenance crew of robots. Men might still be the officers who makes the decisions, though.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

If I may be allowed to throw my two and a half cents in,

It seems most likely that a manned space military would need to exist only if there was an off world threat such as bad aliens of disgruntal Mars colonist. Assuming one is found and poses a danger, I would imagine that all the space farring nations would come together in their efforts to protect the earth. Kinda like how the European nations formed NATO.

I predict that this earth space force would use naval ranks, because eventually in the future sea navies will become obselete and abandoned, while armies and security forces would still exist. Therefore, traditional naval ranks would be used to destinguish space and terrestial forces.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Shadow wrote:
Anonymous wrote:IMHO I think it'll be a combination of Naval and Airforce ranks, like on Carriers. The ship ranks will be Naval, fighter pilot and technician ranks will be Airforce. Tho total Airforce rank structure shouldn't be ruled out entirely given the fact that the Navy will have little to do with space-based militaries. The fact that the airforce will be the foundation for a spaceforce is going to likely give rank.
I doubt fighters would be used in space.

I guess we're talking about sci-fi, and most sci-fi does have fighters.
Xuenay
Youngling

Post by Xuenay »

David wrote:I guess we're talking about sci-fi, and most sci-fi does have fighters.
Most sci-fi has fighters because they're cool.

Realistically speaking (which we are doing), however, fleets would not use fighters just because they're cool.
"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." -- Scott McNealy, CEO Sun Microsystems

"Did you know that ninety-nine per cent of the people who contract cancer wear shoes?" -- Al Bester in J. Gregory Keyes' book Final Reckoning
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

They might use fighters for fast short strikes, but fighters definitely won't be used heavily in a space combat. Gunshps/support craft will probably be more heavily used.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Shortie
Jedi Knight

Post by Shortie »

ArmorPierce wrote:They might use fighters for fast short strikes, but fighters definitely won't be used heavily in a space combat. Gunshps/support craft will probably be more heavily used.
Or some kind of smallish missile boat maybe.

I'd go for a mix of airforce and naval ranks, because I'd see the former evolving into planetary protection \ fighting near grav wells, and the latter doing the real deep-space stuff.
Headshots_Sold_Here
Redshirt

well....

Post by Headshots_Sold_Here »

I get the feeling that the first space forces will not have fighters because the ships will not be very large, yet a space based fighter will be larger then an atmophereic fighter. Eventually some guy will reinstate fighters during one war or another, and procede to assfuck every opponent with "trench run disease" the NR pilot term for fighter ownage due to lack of small enough guns.
And why the fuck will china get the first space forces? care to enlighten me?
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I would also like to believe that it would follow the Navy of today ranking system. It just seems more appropriate when dealing with 'ships'. I think the best example of a what-could-happen-scenario is Space: Above And Beyond. It still has an Airforce, but they are on planet the Navy and Marines are the ones that 'travel'.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'