Starcraft Novels!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Spyder
Sith Marauder

Starcraft Novels!

Post by Spyder »

While I was in Aussie I picked up the three Starcraft novels, they were cheap and I wasn't expecting too much out of them. I've finished the first one (Liberty's Crusade) and are now on to the second. The first one was alright, nothing overly great about it but I didn't find it overly bad. Managed to fill in a couple of gaps and had some interesting commentary on the neural resocialization of the Confederate Marines. I think the author's a little confused about Duke's background though.

The second one (Shadow of the Xel'naga) I'm about half way through... it's got some good points but the author's got some of the characters wrong...so very wrong. He describes Kerrigan as someone that looks over all the swarms with motherly affection, he even has her stroking one of the zerglings in the primary hive cluster on char, which it responds similar to how any pet would. (For those that haven't played Starcraft, Kerrigan eats random Zerg creatures to regain energy, also she hates Acturus for abandoning her and refers to her current existance as her own personal hell.)

Duke's character again is just totally wrong. First one of his officers turns around and asks him when they're going to try and overthrow Arcturus. (Hey dumbass, when there's just been a change of government, asking the person that was primary responsible for helping it happen when it's going to change back probably isn't the brightest thing to do.) Now, Duke responds with a reprimand and simply tells him that the job of any military is to serve their government, whichever government that may be. (no wonder the coup was so easy, it seems as though the first one to say "I'm the Emperor!" gets immediate support of the military, but then again General Duke doesn't seem to be particularly worried that there's a dissenter in the bridge crew of his flagship.)

Next is the combat, the author does a good job in describing what you'd expect any Starcraftian combat to be like, which in itself is part of the problem. The first novel used reasonably beleivable "real-world" mechanics in what was happening. The tactics weren't good but the situations were beleivable, the Zerg appear on a world, start spreading across the planet, Terrans send in some militia to try and keep them out of certain areas, then the Protoss show up and BDZ the place. The author of the second novel however has decided that gameplay mechanics would be best suited. As a result the zerg show up with a large force then instead of washing over the colony like you'd expect them to, they start pissing around with establishing hive clusters and infesting the various outposts so they can have infested Terrans, then the Protoss arrive with a large fleet, the battle in space but send a landing party which then starts harvesting resources so they can build reavers and various other things (WTF!?).

Then the Terrans arrive, they pick up the Pross and the Zerg signals "They've formed an alliance!" Duke declares (I don't remember him being this much of an imbecile in the game), his dissenting tactical officer then reports that they're shooting at each other. Rather then wait for the Protoss and Zerg to finish each other off General Duke orders the entire strikeforce to attack. His dissenting tactical officer advises him to wait for them to gather more data on the situation before engaging but is quickly dismissed "when have you ever known me to sit around and wait for data when it's time for action!"

The Terrans engage firing their Yamato cannons into the swarms and at the Protoss, managing to draw the attention of both the Zerg and the Protoss causing them to have to fight them both at once. Nice job guys.

Just out of curiosity I turned to the "about the author" page.
Gabriel Mesta is a pseudonym for the husband-and-wife team of KEVIN J ANDERSON and REBECCA MOESTA.
For some reason I expected the next page to say "Gotcha!"
:D
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Oh god. Isn't Shadow of the Xel'Naga where some wierdo giant golden bird-thing comes out of the XN temple to eat all the Zerg and Toss? :? :x
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Oh god. Isn't Shadow of the Xel'Naga where some wierdo giant golden bird-thing comes out of the XN temple to eat all the Zerg and Toss? :? :x
Haven't got that far yet. I'm about half way through. I'm up to the part where the colonists are getting attacked by exploding prospectors.
:D
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Be sure to highlight the part that shows six marines with assault rifles shooting down space cruisers from high orbit, and a civilian in a spacesuit resisting a direct laser battery shot to the face. Also note how missing simply is not possible. ;P
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Don't read Speed of Darkness. Graham Kennedy's Portal is a better story than that POS. It actually has a farmer and his wife fighting the Zerg with FARM TOOLS.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Liberty's Crusade is a great book. Shadow of the Xel'Naga sucks shit and has the most anticlimactic ending possible. Speed of Darkness is quite good as well, but not quite up to the standard set by Liberty's Crusade.
JADAFETWA
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Kuja wrote:Shadow of the Xel'Naga sucks shit and has the most anticlimactic ending possible.
It's a Kevin J. Anderson book, that's too be expected.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Kuja wrote:Liberty's Crusade is a great book.
I've seen better fan-fiction than Liberty's Crusade.

Actually, that's a pretty good explanation of that book. If I were to read it free on the internet, I would have liked it more since my expectations are lower. When I shell out cash for a book, I expect a little higher quality.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

Thank god I'm not alone. I thought Liberty's Crusade was tripe. All it was was a rehash of the Terran campaign. I had to trudge through each agonizing page hoping for new content, but that expectation was too high.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

KJA sucking, you dont say! :roll:
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
mauldooku
Jedi Master

Post by mauldooku »

Stark wrote:While I was in Aussie I picked up the three Starcraft novels
*Vomits*.

Those things are terrible, and this coming from a fanatical Starcraft fan. Stick with playing multiplayer over Battle.net, man, not that trash.

That remins me. I should really try to start up another one of those SD.net Starcraft gatherings...
Petrosjko
Sith Acolyte

Post by Petrosjko »

As was mentioned earlier, Liberty's Crusade was simply a rehash of the Terran campaign with the insertion of a new viewpoint character. Not much there.

The KJA book was so wretched that I buried it, deeming it unworthy to be toilet paper.

Fucking 'roverlisks', for Christ's sake. Not to mention the utterly formulaic plot.

I didn't even bother with Speed of Darkness.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I actually liked Liberty's Crusade, simply because it gave us a more "story-ish" outlook at the Terran Campaign, whereas in the game, you are the faceless, voiceless "magistrate," and the story takes place mainly in briefings.

Shadow was horrible, if simply because Anderson wrote it like a Young Adult fiction novel, with all the lameness and generic plot blah that implies.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

Then the Terrans arrive, they pick up the Pross and the Zerg signals "They've formed an alliance!" Duke declares (I don't remember him being this much of an imbecile in the game), his dissenting tactical officer then reports that they're shooting at each other. Rather then wait for the Protoss and Zerg to finish each other off General Duke orders the entire strikeforce to attack. His dissenting tactical officer advises him to wait for them to gather more data on the situation before engaging but is quickly dismissed "when have you ever known me to sit around and wait for data when it's time for action!"

The Terrans engage firing their Yamato cannons into the swarms and at the Protoss, managing to draw the attention of both the Zerg and the Protoss causing them to have to fight them both at once. Nice job guys.
Don't worry, the imbecility continues.
The stupid book wrote:The tanks did not waste time by going to Siege Mode, which would have allowed for powerful, long-range attacks
Marines charge ahead of Goliaths and Tanks. A standard-issue Marine team is sent in to "map out" a Zerg-Toss infected area. Yeah, real smart guys. Fortunately, they had character shields.

Bad plot, bad characters, shitty tactics(SURE you played on BNet, Anderson)... throw that shit away.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Petrosjko wrote: Fucking 'roverlisks', for Christ's sake.
The hell is a roverlisk? Something KJA pulled out of his ass?
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Roverlisk is what happens when the Zerg copy the genome of a mastiff and create a new species. Apparently they hadn't encountered dogs before.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Roverlisk is what happens when the Zerg copy the genome of a mastiff and create a new species. Apparently they hadn't encountered dogs before.
I thought the creature was kind of cool, even if the name wasn't.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Roverlisk is what happens when the Zerg copy the genome of a mastiff and create a new species. Apparently they hadn't encountered dogs before.
So they fucking called them rover-lisk? Dear Lord...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

They copied a fucking dog? Why?!?!?!? What possible use are they to them that can't be filled by a bloody zergling? There's nothing that remarkable about them.

And how the fuck are dogs even there anyway!? The colonists came on sleeper ships! What, they used additional sleeper pods so Billy Bob Joe or whoever could bring Sparky with him!?

The utter stupidity....
-Sir James Dewar

Castor Troy
Jedi Knight

Post by Castor Troy »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Oh god. Isn't Shadow of the Xel'Naga where some wierdo giant golden bird-thing comes out of the XN temple to eat all the Zerg and Toss? :? :x
Yeah, the "Phoenix", IIRC, which consumed the Zerg and Protoss and used their genetics for something which I forget.

I only read "The Shadow of the Xel'Naga", and I can say it's a pretty bad book, both plot wise and just overall delivery, especially the "roverlisks", but one good thing I liked was the description of space combat onboard a Terran battlecruiser. Also, the fighting in the cave where the Terran squad has something like a dozen Marines and Firebats, and two Goliaths was pretty good.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

But there are dogs in Star Craft. In the game there is a cut scene where a truck hits a Zergling and the guys think they've hit a farmer's dog.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Ford Prefect wrote:But there are dogs in Star Craft. In the game there is a cut scene where a truck hits a Zergling and the guys think they've hit a farmer's dog.
Okay, I guess I can't blame the author for having dogs in the book. It's already canon. Forgot about that scene.

I still think having dogs with the colonists is stupid, though. So, I'll just blame Blizzard instead.
-Sir James Dewar

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Temjin wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:But there are dogs in Star Craft. In the game there is a cut scene where a truck hits a Zergling and the guys think they've hit a farmer's dog.
Okay, I guess I can't blame the author for having dogs in the book. It's already canon. Forgot about that scene.

I still think having dogs with the colonists is stupid, though. So, I'll just blame Blizzard instead.
That's always MY plan.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

I would imagine that the colonists packed a lot of useful animals as frozen ova or something like that.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

First one was good if a bit of a hash.
The concept at the end of the second was passable but the characters were nitwits.
The third was very messy and halfway between them.
Maybe theyll do a decent tie in (Backstory?) with SC:ghost
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.