Unicron vs Death Star

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Unicron vs Death Star

Post by spongyblue »

This is a straight up battle between these two. No ships, troopers, or robots opening quasispiritual orbs. Just Unicron and the death star. Planet Eater vs Planet Detroyer. and remember Unicron can transform,
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Umm death star fires, unicron explodes. Game over.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:Umm death star fires, unicron explodes. Game over.
But only the Matrix can destroy Unicron. He eats the DS.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
Crazy_Vasey wrote:Umm death star fires, unicron explodes. Game over.
But only the Matrix can destroy Unicron. He eats the DS.
If it doesn't explose death star retreats, charges back up and then comes back and fires again, rinse repeat. It'll crack eventually anyway all I remember from the films was them saying that they didn;t know how to kill it not that only the matrix could kill it. You;re gonna have to prove that little tidbit,
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:
Pablo Sanchez wrote: If it doesn't explose death star retreats, charges back up and then comes back and fires again, rinse repeat. It'll crack eventually
I highly doubt that the DS can jump in, fire a SL shot, and jump out without any warmup or cooldown period. It's an incredibly advanced engine of death, but it must have some limits.
anyway all I remember from the films was them saying that they didn;t know how to kill it not that only the matrix could kill it. You;re gonna have to prove that little tidbit,
Unicron had an entire galaxy to eat, and he focussed his efforts on ONE thing--the Autobot Matrix. Also, according to the Transformers comic book, Unicron is in fact a minor god, and the Matrix is the only thing that can hurt him.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Not to mention a moon did exploded when it was half eaten by Unicron and still he didn't have any damage.
Jack Lain
Padawan Learner

Post by Jack Lain »

Gotta go with the DS on this one. Buh-bye!

-Jack "gotta get out more" Lain.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

I think that if Unicron is in robot form he stands a chance of dodging the superlaser. If he can get out of the SL's firing arc and latch onto the DS it's all over. I assume he can shrug off TL hits as in the movie he easily shrugs off everything the Transformers throw at him.

However I do think that a SL hit would do a lot of damage to him.If it hits any of his limbs i think he'll survive (minus the limb), but a hit to the torso or head and he's a gonner.

So, IMO, it comes down to 2 things:

1) Whether or not the SL hits.

2)If it's the DS1 or DS2. The DS1 had a recharge time of hours so it needs to hit ith it's first shot. The DS2 had a recharge time of minutes so it might get another shot. Also the DS2 was more accurate, being able to hit Cap Ships as well as planets.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

We didn't see anything in the films on the scale of the damage a turbolasre bombardment from the death star could do. How mant HTLs does something that big have?
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Re: Unicron vs Death Star

Post by seanrobertson »

spongyblue wrote:This is a straight up battle between these two. No ships, troopers, or robots opening quasispiritual orbs. Just Unicron and the death star. Planet Eater vs Planet Detroyer. and remember Unicron can transform,
LOL!

"Planet" is vague. The things we saw him consuming must have
been VERY small.

I remember the movie rather well, even after all these years.
Galvatron transforms and shoots at Unicron. Unicron grabs Galvatron
and swallows him.

In that shot, we can get a clear idea of how big Unicron's hand is relative
to Galvatron, who is considerably less than 10m tall (compare him and similar TFs to humans standing nearby, like that bratty kid in the movie). Unicron's hand is not more than a hundred times Galvatron's height IIRC, so his hand is less than 1 km long.

With hands proportioned to his body like a human's, and using
myself as an example, I find that my hands are about 7" long.
I am 66" tall or thereabouts, so with a kilometer-long hand, Unicron's
body should only be about ten times bigger--or LESS THAN TEN KILOMETERS TALL.

One turbolaser shot to the head ought to do it--and please, don't give me
any nonsense about how his hull is super-strong. We saw Dinobots
smashing up the metal on his rear-end with low-energy physical
attacks (megajoule ranged events, at best). He is also replete with
vulnerable areas, like his "eyes."

And...Unicron, a god? Ha :) He's a pretty crappy "god." But yes, *in the context of the Transformers* "reality," I suppose he would seem like as much, since he is all but invulnerable to the TF's laughably weak, small-scale weapons. Remember, these are the weapons that, when hitting the surface of the moon in "Call of the Primitives," don't even KICK UP DUST. Under no circumstances has ANY TF EVER displayed the ability to generate firepower on the order of even the smallest nuclear weapons.

The Matrix worked so well because it completely circumvented the TF's inability to harness much power, in that it made Unicron's systems go haywire (somewhat like a large EMP). Had the Decepticons or Autobots
been smart enough to procure a small nuke, they could've probably detonated it inside Unicron to similar effect.

Sean
Analyst http://www.babtech-onthe.net/
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Depends on if DS gets off a clear shot. If not, unicron's got better manuverablity, and DS dies.
AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Post by AdmiralKanos »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:Unicron had an entire galaxy to eat, and he focussed his efforts on ONE thing--the Autobot Matrix. Also, according to the Transformers comic book, Unicron is in fact a minor god, and the Matrix is the only thing that can hurt him.
Non-trivial addendum: the only thing known to the Transformers that can hurt him. These guys have never encountered a Death Star. There is nothing in their experience which remotely compares to a Death Star blast, therefore the statement that nothing can hurt him is not meaningful in this context. The bit about eating whole galaxies may be hyperbole; we did not witness power or mass commensurate with the mass-energy of galaxies or even miniscule fractions of galaxies. The explosion of a small moon is insignificant compared to the firepower of a Death Star superlaser blast.

Moreover, even in the comic, which describes a far more dangerous Unicron than the movie, Unicron was still holed in the eye by a ramming attack from a Quintesson corkscrew ship. And his only ranged offensive attack was flame-breath and eye-beams, neither of which demonstrated any spectacular power (the flame-breath damaged but did not destroy a Quintesson corkscrew ship; nothing to get excited about).

All of this is many, many, many orders of magnitude below 1E38 joules. If a ramming attack from a Quintesson corkscrew can put a hole in his head, a Death Star blast will vapourize him, Matrix or no Matrix.

Moreover, he probably wouldn't be able to get close to a Death Star even without its superlaser, because its tens of thousands of surface turbolaser turrets would churn him up into iron filings, his flame-breath is not powerful enough to do serious damage to a Death Star (it may not even get through the shield), and he's not quite small enough to slip through the Death Star's shield to pummel it with his hands (remember that the X-wings snuck through by going slow, putting all power to forward shields, and by being small, thus taking advantage of defenses designed for large opponents; Unicron is a large opponent, with no shields).

Besides, I like Unicron, but it's a gross exaggeration to say that the Transformers' attack had no effect on him. They knocked out one third of his ranged weaponry, they put a hole in his head, they infiltrated his body, they punched holes in his skin, and they were enough of a threat to him that he halted his attack on Cybertron and fought them.

If it were Unicron against an ISD I'd say it's a better fight, but Unicron against the Death Star? Surely you jest!
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
Ivan
Redshirt

Post by Ivan »

When looking at Galvatron next to unicrons hand, remember that TF constantly change size and mass at will through the entire series.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

The Dinobots were ripping up Unicron's hull with ease, and his ranged weapons were pathetic. I'm sorry, even an Oberth could cut him to pieces.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster