coolest space battle?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

coolest space battle?

Post by Enforcer Talen »

from any sci fi movie
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

The end of Return of the Jedi got my blood pumping.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

On the one hand, I really liked the Battle of the Line. On the other hand, though, I also really liked the Battle of Endor. I think I have to give it to the Battle of Endor, but barely.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Although not really as cool as the Battle of Endor, special mention to me has to go to the Battle in B-5 when the forces of light first meet the shadows in a large fleet engagement. It had suspense, action and some really cool exploding ships and duels between the ships. If you had been watching the series from the begiining you were begging the good guys to finally get into a big brawl and at least bloody the noses of the shadows who had been rampaging nearly unopposed for a season. There was a visceral satisfaction when Sheridan orders his fleet to "Break and attack!"

The very end still makes my spine tingle when the shadows retreat and Sheridan and Deleen lookaround and their fleet is decimated, the wreckage of their warships floating everywhere and even the mighty Minbaari Sharlin cruisers were either damaged or destroyed. They won the battle but we were given a clear indication that the war could not be won this way.

VERY good battle.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Stravo wrote:Although not really as cool as the Battle of Endor, special mention to me has to go to the Battle in B-5 when the forces of light first meet the shadows in a large fleet engagement. It had suspense, action and some really cool exploding ships and duels between the ships. If you had been watching the series from the begiining you were begging the good guys to finally get into a big brawl and at least bloody the noses of the shadows who had been rampaging nearly unopposed for a season. There was a visceral satisfaction when Sheridan orders his fleet to "Break and attack!"

The very end still makes my spine tingle when the shadows retreat and Sheridan and Deleen lookaround and their fleet is decimated, the wreckage of their warships floating everywhere and even the mighty Minbaari Sharlin cruisers were either damaged or destroyed. They won the battle but we were given a clear indication that the war could not be won this way.

VERY good battle.
Sounds like an awesome battle, but since I haven't seen it I'm gonna have to go with either the Battle of Endor or the Battle of Geonosis (I'm sorry but seeing that many troops always gets my heart-rate up).
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Sounds like an awesome battle, but since I haven't seen it I'm gonna have to go with either the Battle of Endor or the Battle of Geonosis (I'm sorry but seeing that many troops always gets my heart-rate up).
HOW COULD I FORGET GEONOSIS!?!?!?!? :shock:

I saw AOTC four times JUST to see that final half hour...... :D
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
MagicHateBall
Youngling

Post by MagicHateBall »

Geonosis, with Endor coming in a close second.

I saw AOTC thrice in three days for Yoda. :D
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world." -- Mary Shafer
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Geonosis counts as a space battle?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Yeah, the B5 battle in "Shadow Dancing" was awesome, and the fact that we waited 2 years for it made it even sweeter.

As for the Battle of Genosis, supposidly, there was a space battle, but it was cut out due to time and multiple storyline constraints.
There was lots and lots of material in each one of these sequences that needed to be trimmed. There was lots of Jedi action in the arena fight dropped, more Jango and Mace, and even at one point a battle in space with the Droid Control Ships.
-Ben Burtt, AOTC Editor, Sound Designer
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Renewed_Valour1
Padawan Learner

Post by Renewed_Valour1 »

Movie:
Endor

TV:
TOS Balance of Terror
Andromeda: D Minus Zero
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

I also enjoyed the battle in Shadow Dancing, but I think I preferred Endor.

Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

I liked the Battle in Severed Dream, B5. It was sad to see Hiroshi ramming her Omega Destroyer against another in order to turn the tide of the battle.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Endor, definetely Endor :D

TV, battle B5 had a lot of cool scenes, and I am just sucker for Centauri ships kicking Ass!

Also one, that wasn't really long..like two seconds, was in Space: Above and Beyond, in 'Sugardirt'. Just the way Ross and McQueen, were acting in this little snippet was soo cool!

After the Saratoga is hit by another wave of Chig fighter/gunboat assult, and one of the gunboats craches into them;

Ross: 'People, this is the 55th day of the counter attack! And we haven't lost any ground yet, I don't wanna loose any today!'

A great big smile just spreads across my face every time! :D
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Lord Ghykon
Redshirt

Post by Lord Ghykon »

The battles in "Shadow Dancing," "Into the Fire," and "Severed Dreams" from b5.

Endor from SW

Trek....Sacrifce of Angels I suppose

I liked some of the battles scenes in Wing Commander, too bad the movie sucked.
Subnormal
Padawan Learner
Location: Third Orbital of the Sol System, North American Continent, USA, Pennsylvania,

Post by Subnormal »

God I hope they put that space battle in AOTC on the DVD. I would buy it in a heart beat. I thought the final battle was pretty lacking, as the Republic ships just blew everything to hell from the air. I was wondering where the Droid starfighters were they look ten times effective than the ground droids. I thought Ep I was pretty lacking with a space battle too it only had like 8 min of space battle footage, That sucks.

Space battles is why SW was so successful to begin with.
willburns84
Padawan Learner

AOTC space battle? What?

Post by willburns84 »

Space battle in AOTC?
Was this actually filmed, etc. and said filming was confirmed? This is the first I've heard anything about it. Don't get me wrong. A space battle makes sense - the Republic Navy wouldn't just let the Seperatists just fly away while a battle was raging planetside.
"Fleet admirals have it made. They only have to worry about the success of their subordinates, their Moff, and guys whose name beings with Lord."
-Captain Seledrood (deceased)
"Iron within! Iron without!"
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

If they filmed it, I hope it's on the DVD!

willburns84
Padawan Learner

Post by willburns84 »

Countdooku... Where did you hear / read / etc this bit about a Geonosis space battle? I'm very interested to get any information about it. :D
"Fleet admirals have it made. They only have to worry about the success of their subordinates, their Moff, and guys whose name beings with Lord."
-Captain Seledrood (deceased)
"Iron within! Iron without!"
Subnormal
Padawan Learner
Location: Third Orbital of the Sol System, North American Continent, USA, Pennsylvania,

Post by Subnormal »

USAF ACE posted this Quote and seeing how EP I had some deleted scenes on the Dvd I figured they would probably put one in.
There was lots and lots of material in each one of these sequences that needed to be trimmed. There was lots of Jedi action in the arena fight dropped, more Jango and Mace, and even at one point a battle in space with the Droid Control Ships.
-Ben Burtt, AOTC Editor, Sound Designer

Also think about it, How the heck are a bunch of Republic Starships going to get through the Droid battleships which surrounded the planet, as par the final shot with Dooku flying away with his Solar Sailor. I figured the Republic blasted their way through, Also I can't see how the Geonosians didn't get any warning from the Battleships and already have more Droids mobilized.
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

Battle of Ulysses Corridor from the Wing Commander Movie.

But if that's too small, then the beginning of ITF with the White Stars attacking the Vorlon outpost.

But if that's too short, then . . . aw hell, movie spacebattles suck. I pick StarLancer.
Mechwolf
Redshirt

Post by Mechwolf »

It is a tough decision, but my favorite space battles are

B5 "Into the Fire" "Severed Dreams" "Shadow Dancing"

SW Battle of Endor

By the way, why so much hate against Wing Commander? I didn't think it was the greatest movie, but is much better than ST 1,3.4.5.7.8.9.
Well, hello mr fancy pants. You ain't leading but 2 things right now, jack & shit, & jack just left town
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

Mechwolf wrote: By the way, why so much hate against Wing Commander? I didn't think it was the greatest movie, but is much better than ST 1,3.4.5.7.8.9.
That's just it. It was average. Mediocre. If there's one thing people can't tolerate, it's coming in second-best. Or third. Or fourth. And the franchise isn't well known eirher, which was the death blow. People will forgive anything (well, almost anything)if it's done by someone they know and love. Which is why I love the Wing Commander Movie. But I digress.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Supposidly there was a space battle in the script, but as to wether any of the visual or special effects were filmed, that is a little vague.

Here's the quote:
http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc ... 20718.html
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.