Black Lance (WC) vs The Borg (ST)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Eleas
Jaina Dax

Black Lance (WC) vs The Borg (ST)

Post by Eleas »

So... in one corner of the ring-shaped galaxy, weighing in at just under twenty quazillion ConFed credits, we have the Black Lance Forces! Paramilitary, highly trained, financed by way of leaked funds and oh, they dress cool too.

In the other corner... you know them, you... recognize them! That's right, the übertechno-zombies of the Galaxy, the Borg Collective just after their unfortunate smackdown at the tentacles of Species Eight-Four-Seven-OOONE!!!! These fellows aren't mad, they've just gotten started, and they sure seem to want the "distinctiveness" of Black Lance!

These two contestants, meeting by way of our helpful Standard Anomaly One (now with a lemony-fresh scent), are now going to get their hands dirty. So, without further ado, LEEET'S GET READY TO RRRUMMMBLEEEE!!!!

(yeah, I'm tired. So sue me. Or discuss, whichever is more productive.)
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Borg.

By sheer weight of numbers.

But I don't know that much about Black Lance.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

::patiently waits for Dark Primus to show up::
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

I played WC a bit (actually WC1, many years ago..), but never heard of Black Lance. So I have no idea of their combat capability.

But if you pit them against THE BORG.....

The Borg, alongside with Klingons, Jem Ha'dar, and even Mobile Infantry, are military IMBECILE. While the latter three charged to the enemy en masse, the Borg are just even worse. Borg drones walk slowly like zombies, with a big "SHOOT ME" painted on their chest. Heck. if Picard can mowed down drones with a Tommy Gun (ST:FC), imagine what the US Marines can do...

If the Black Lance is as good as today's average infantry, or even as good as Al Capone's henchmen, then the Borg will be toasted.
MagicHateBall
Youngling

Post by MagicHateBall »

IIRC, the Black Lances were from WC4.
And I'm afraid that unless the Borg's forces are limited, they're going to get the Black Lances due to sheer force of numbers. Force of numbers alone, though -- the Lances outclass them in everything else.
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world." -- Mary Shafer
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Ooopsss... is it ground combat or space combat? :oops:
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Unfortunatly the Black Lance organisation is very small, even though their fighters are damn tough and could probably destroy several cubes but the Borg with sheer numbers would win.
And Dragon class fighters are carrying four torpedoes, more than enough firepower to destroy a large capital ship and it has a cloaking device. And with those discs called Flashpacks would kill a lot of drones.

The only remote chance they might win is to make sure their headquarters are kept in secret and they can make hit and run attacks on Borg targets or something. In order to prevent assimilation, each pilot carries a poison in their mouths and as they are about to become assimilate they take the poisining and dies. That way keeping Collective unknowing of their operations base.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"Unfortunatly the Black Lance organisation is very small, even though their fighters are damn tough and could probably destroy several cubes but the Borg with sheer numbers would win."

Yeah, that's what I figured.

"And Dragon class fighters are carrying four torpedoes, more than enough firepower to destroy a large capital ship and it has a cloaking device. And with those discs called Flashpacks would kill a lot of drones."

Just kill drones? One of them destroyed the Ella Superbase, a civilian complex that dwarfed the kilometer+ length Vesuvius, IIRC. The question is whether the Borg cubes are too flimsy and / or compartmentalized to have a flammable atmosphere through the entire ship.

The real kicker is, I think, the fact that the Black Lance essentially uses transphasic torpedoes. :)

"The only remote chance they might win is to make sure their headquarters are kept in secret and they can make hit and run attacks on Borg targets or something. In order to prevent assimilation, each pilot carries a poison in their mouths and as they are about to become assimilate they take the poisining and dies. That way keeping Collective unknowing of their operations base."

Sounds workable. I doubt it would be easy to get a bead on a Dragon-class fighter, especially when it's cloaked.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

Yeesh, you'd think they'd call people whenever they set up another versus forum. . .
Eleas wrote:mus]
The only remote chance they might win is to make sure their headquarters are kept in secret and they can make hit and run attacks on Borg targets or something. In order to prevent assimilation, each pilot carries a poison in their mouths and as they are about to become assimilate they take the poisining and dies. That way keeping Collective unknowing of their operations base.
Wouldn't it be easier to just have a deadman switch in each craft, a la Homeworld: Cataclysm?
Eleas wrote:
Sounds workable. I doubt it would be easy to get a bead on a Dragon-class fighter, especially when it's cloaked.
It would if the Borg assimilated one!

(Dragon technology renders cloaks impotent, same way as the Nephilim, who interestingly enough were designed by the same people who later went on to produce Species 8472 in a disgruntled fit).