WorldwarVs.ModernDay armies

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Straha
Lord of the Spam

WorldwarVs.ModernDay armies

Post by Straha »

I know this isn't exactly Sci-fi Vs. Sci-Fi but its close.

Suppose Atvar and Straha leave their homeworld and head for earth 50+ years later so they arrive right now, what would you say happen?
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Re: WorldwarVs.ModernDay armies

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Straha wrote:I know this isn't exactly Sci-fi Vs. Sci-Fi but its close.

Suppose Atvar and Straha leave their homeworld and head for earth 50+ years later so they arrive right now, what would you say happen?
They are forced to glass the planet. There's no way they can possibly win in ground combat.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Without a doubt, the Race loses, but it will be long and bloody, the technological parity is too close for a clear victor, if WWII era tech and human ingenuity gave them trouble...21st century military tech will bring them to a complete stop.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Why not this. The race isn't totally stupid, although quite thick headed, so start a trading deal with the not-empires of earth. Water, food, land, for technology. It won't be like conquering earth but you will at least get some benefits, whouch you otherwise wouldn't get from glassing or invading and being crushed earth.

p.s. Atvar seemed to egotistical to me to nuke earth much, remember he didn't do it when he had the chance and when half his staff was supporting it.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

A few points come to my mind.

1) The technological gap would be much closer, but the size of modern armies is much smaller compared to what the Race
faced in WW2. I dont know if this would make a difference, but I think its worth recongizing.

2) Most of our modern troops have no combat experience unlike the armies
of WW2. I think our modern troops would still understand how to fight
better than the Race did, but this too would make victory not totally assured.
To be fair the members of the Race dont have combat experience either.

3) Its been a while since I read the books, did the Race wipe out navies from orbit?
If so, I think modern navies would suffer the same fate. They dont have any weapons, except for sub launched ICBM's, that can reach a ship in orbit.
EmperorSolo51
Jedi Knight

Post by EmperorSolo51 »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:A few points come to my mind.

1) The technological gap would be much closer, but the size of modern armies is much smaller compared to what the Race
faced in WW2. I dont know if this would make a difference, but I think its worth recongizing.

2) Most of our modern troops have no combat experience unlike the armies
of WW2. I think our modern troops would still understand how to fight
better than the Race did, but this too would make victory not totally assured.
To be fair the members of the Race dont have combat experience either.

3) Its been a while since I read the books, did the Race wipe out navies from orbit?
If so, I think modern navies would suffer the same fate. They dont have any weapons, except for sub launched ICBM's, that can reach a ship in orbit.
The Race did not nuke Navies from orbit. They ignored the the navies of the earth and instead went after targets on land becuase they came from a world that was mostly land and overlooked the waters of earth. The only Naval base nuked was Pearl Harbour. They were also surpised to find we had Aircraft carriers.
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Ummmm...

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Let me get this straight...they're a sci-fi universe out there that has aliens fight WWII armies and I didn't knew it existed?!?!?!

You must tell me more!!!!!!!!!!!!
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

The biggest shock the poor lizards would get would be from stealth technology plus Attack helicopters the only choppers they had in the first series were there transwport birds and the gunship variants.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

mm, I haven't read the lizard series in a while, just the first trilogy I think, but can their capships stop nukes? if not, norad would prolly send them a christmas greeting. . .
EmperorSolo51
Jedi Knight

Post by EmperorSolo51 »

Enforcer Talen wrote:mm, I haven't read the lizard series in a while, just the first trilogy I think, but can their capships stop nukes? if not, norad would prolly send them a christmas greeting. . .
Yes, Their Capships can stop nukes. During the Colonization series, The Greater German Reich went to war with the Race and they launched nukes at the Race's starships from space. Some the nukes were intercepted and destroyed before impact by other missles.
General G
Youngling

Post by General G »

But i would assume modern nations have a few thousand more nuclear missles avalible.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

It's interesting that the race ignored ships. I dont remember that part. As for nuking Pearl Harbor that makes sense, but when I meant the race could wipe out navies I was'nt thinking with nukes. I would think they could destroy ships at sea from orbit with conventional weapons. Was there any canon evidence for this? The weapons themselves would not need to overly powerful, just accurate. A thousand pound rock dropped from space should make a hole all the way through a ship.

For RayCav, the series we are talking about is written by Harry Turtledove, check it out.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

It's interesting that the race ignored ships. I dont remember that part. As for nuking Pearl Harbor that makes sense, but when I meant the race could wipe out navies I was'nt thinking with nukes. I would think they could destroy ships at sea from orbit with conventional weapons. Was there any canon evidence for this? The weapons themselves would not need to overly powerful, just accurate. A thousand pound rock dropped from space should make a hole all the way through a ship.

For RayCav, the series we are talking about is written by Harry Turtledove, check it out.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Okay, time to clear up some stuff:

1. No ICBM or SLBM can hit a ship high up (or break Earth's gravity, for that matter). There's a reason they're called ballistic missiles.
2. The Race didn't add point-defense to their starships until after the invasion when they realised it might be a good idea. They did have missile defenses.

Militarily, their technology seems like 1980s or so level.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Phongn,

Do you know what constitues low orbit vs high orbit? Distance wise I mean.
I dont have a clue.

I agree an ICBM couldnt hit something far out, like a GPS satelite, but a ship orbiting close to drop troops or attempting a landing might be able to be targeted.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:Phongn,

Do you know what constitues low orbit vs high orbit? Distance wise I mean.
I dont have a clue.
Not sure, and I'm pretty sure that the ceiling of an ICBM is classified. I do know they aren't designed to go really high up.
I agree an ICBM couldnt hit something far out, like a GPS satelite, but a ship orbiting close to drop troops or attempting a landing might be able to be targeted.
An orbiting ship should have enough power to try and dodge it - the RV can't maneuver. The one landing still might not be engaged, since ICBMs aren't designed as anti-air missiles.