Favorite Scifi Monologues

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Favorite Scifi Monologues

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Or speeches.

My favorite two come from B5:
B5: In the Beginning wrote:The Humans, I think, knew they were doomed. But where another race would surrender to despair, the Humans fought back with even greater strength. They made the Minbari fight for every inch of space. In my life I have never seen anything like it. They would weep. They would pray. They would say goodbye to their loved ones, and then throw themselves without fear or hesitation at the very face of death itself, never surrendering. No one who saw them fight against the inevitable could help but be moved to tears by their courage... their stubborn nobility. When they ran out of ships, they used guns. When they ran out of guns they used knives and sticks and bare hands. They were magnificent. I only hope that when it is my time, I die with half as much dignity as I saw in their eyes in the end. They did this for two years. But in the end, they didn't run out of courage, they ran out of time.
And also from that same movie:
"This is ... This is the president. I have just been informed that our midrange military bases at beta derony and promixa three have fallen to the Minbari advance. We have lost contact with Io and must conclude that they to have fallen to an advanced force. Our military intelligence believes that Minbari intend to bypass Mars and hit Earth directly, and the attack may come at any time. We have continued to broadcast our surrender and a plea for mercy, and they have not responded. We therefore can only conclude that we stand at the twilight of the Human race. In order to buy more time for our evacuation transports to leave Earth, we ask for support of every ship capable of fighting, to take part in a defense of our homeworld. We will not lie to you. We do not believe survival is a possibility. We believe that anyone who joins this battle, will never come home again. But for every ten minutes we can delay the military advance, several hundred more civilians may have a chance to escape to neutral territory. Though Earth may fall, the Human race must have a chance to continue elsewhere. No greater sacrifice has ever been asked of a people, but I ask you now, to step forward one last time - one last battle to hold the line against the night! May God go with you all."
That one gives me chills every time I read it. So how about you all? Sheridan's "Hold the line?" The President's "Independence Day" speech from ID4?

Share, quote, post, it will be glorious!
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

In the beginning.

Londo: Still as a culture grows decadent, it becomes more intrigued by art, by trinkets...by eccentricity. And the humans had decadence to spare. But it was none of those traits that would cause so much death and pain. They have an expression: Pride goeth before the fall. And their pride would be their undoing. I know. I was there.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Hmm...Babylon 5 has some of the best quotes around.
Vir Cotto wrote: I want to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to future generations that some favors come with too high a price.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

White Haven wrote: [quote 'Vir Cotto'] I want to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to future generations that some favors come with too high a price.
Oh, that was my favorite one, that right there. I clapped when he told Morden to go fuck himself.
Kanye West Saves.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:
White Haven wrote:
Vir Cotto wrote: I want to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to future generations that some favors come with too high a price.
Oh, that was my favorite one, that right there. I clapped when he told Morden to go fuck himself.
You forgot some of the quote, WhiteHaven. "And when you are hanging there, I will wave at you... just like this."

And Vir did it too, that's what made it best :lol:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

More monologues! More!
ImageImage
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

LadyTevar wrote:
18-Till-I-Die wrote:
White Haven wrote: [quote 'Vir Cotto'] I want to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to future generations that some favors come with too high a price.
You forgot some of the quote, WhiteHaven. "And when you are hanging there, I will wave at you... just like this."

And Vir did it too, that's what made it best :lol:[/quote]
I remember that! :lol:
That was such a great scene. Almost as great as when Vir grabbed a sword and hacked up the Draza fruitstand. :lol:
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

B5 is rife with good monologues, oneliners, etc.
Sheridan, Londo, G'Kar and Delenn usually had the best. I liked G'Kar's the most usually, he went from violent freedom fighter to unifying leader, and remained an uber-badass throughout it all.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

"These are the voyages of the StarShip, Enterprise. Her five year mission, to seek out new life, and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before!"

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

"Fleeing the Cylon tryanny, the last BattleStar, Galatica, leads a rag-tag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest: a shining planet known as Earth"

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:B5 is rife with good monologues, oneliners, etc.
Sheridan, Londo, G'Kar and Delenn usually had the best. I liked G'Kar's the most usually, he went from violent freedom fighter to unifying leader, and remained an uber-badass throughout it all.
DeNear (sp) had one great monologue, in the episode where Delenn was kidnapped. It was delievered inside the body-strewn bar to (ogodIforgothisnamethecuteRangerthatlovesIvanova).

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

LadyTevar wrote:
SyntaxVorlon wrote:B5 is rife with good monologues, oneliners, etc.
DeNear (sp) had one great monologue, in the episode where Delenn was kidnapped. It was delievered inside the body-strewn bar to (ogodIforgothisnamethecuteRangerthatlovesIvanova).
*cough MARCUS cough*
ImageImage
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

"Because I have asked you too, and because your loyalty to our people would be greater than your ambition, and because I have poisoned your drink."
-Londo

Londo Quotes
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The final monologue of B5, by Susan Ivanova:
Babylon 5 was last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future and it changed us. It taught us that we have to create the future or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have to care for one other, because if we don't, who will? And that true strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely of places. Mostly, though I think it gave us hope that there can always be new beginnings, even for people like us. As for Delenn, every morning for as long she lived, Delenn got up before dawn and watched the sun came up.
Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Humans, I think, knew they were doomed. But where another race would surrender to despair, the Humans fought back with even greater strength. They made the Minbari fight for every inch of space. In my life I have never seen anything like it. They would weep. They would pray. They would say goodbye to their loved ones, and then throw themselves without fear or hesitation at the very face of death itself, never surrendering. No one who saw them fight against the inevitable could help but be moved to tears by their courage... their stubborn nobility. When they ran out of ships, they used guns. When they ran out of guns they used knives and sticks and bare hands. They were magnificent. I only hope that when it is my time, I die with half as much dignity as I saw in their eyes in the end. They did this for two years. But in the end, they didn't run out of courage, they ran out of time.
Tis one of my favorites, though I also like the cheesy monlouge in ID4.

"Today, we celebrate our independence day!"
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

A combination of Mengsk's accent and the imagery of this cutscene make the words stick out in my mind: (From Starcraft, BTW)

Arcturus Mengsk wrote:
Fellow Terrans, I come to you, in the wake of recent events, to issue a call to reason.
Let no human deny the perils of our times...
While we battle one another, divided by the petty strife of our common history,
The tides of a greater conflicts are turning against us, threatening to destroy all that we
Have accomplished.
It is times for us as nations, and as individuals to set aside our long-standing feuds, and unite!

The tides of an unwinnable war are upon us, and we must seek refuge upon higher ground lest we be swept away by the flood.

The Confederacy is no more, and whatever semblance of unity it provided is a phantom, a memory. With our enemies left unchecked, who will you turn to for protection?

The devastation wrought by the alien invaders is self-evident. We have seen our homes and villages destroyed by the calculated blows of the Protoss,
We have seen firsthand our friends and loved ones consumed by the nightmarish Zerg.
Unprecedented, and unimaginable though they may be, these are the signs of our times.

The time has come, my fellow Terrans, to rally to a new banner! In unity lies strength; already many of the dissident factions have joined us. Out of the many, we shall forge an indivisible whole, capitulating only to a single throne.

And from that throne, I shall watch over you.

From this day forward let no human make war upon any other human, let no Terran agency conspire against this new beginning, and let no man consort with alien powers, and to all the enemies of humanity; seek not to bar our way, for we shall win through, no matter the cost….
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

-Cleaned up a few quotes Bean

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Gkar, from "The Long Twilight Struggle" wrote:*G'kar slowly raises himself, after Londo's demand that he be removed from the council*

G'kar: "No dictator... no oppressor... can keep a people under force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against this power governments and entire armies cannot stand. We taught the Centauri this lesson once before. We will teach it to them again. Be it take a thousand years... *looks Londo in the eyes* we will be FREE."

*G'kar walks out of the council room, EVERYONE - even Kosh - turns their heads as he walks past*
One of the best quotes, and done completely from memory.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

From First Contact.
Weve made too many compromises already; too mny retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done.
There's something I just love about this quote. It sticks with me a lot.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Babylon 5:"Severed Dreams"
"I told you, Delenn, they will not speak to you."
"Then they will listen to me. I served the Council for 16 cycles. I was the chosen of Dukhat to replace him. I held him when he died. His blood is on my hands, his spirit in my eyes, his word on my lips. You will step aside in his name and mine, or .. in Valen's name, I will tear this ship apart with my bare hands until I find them. Move aside."
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
---------
Honorary member of the Rhodanites
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Off the top of my head:
Benjamin Sisko, [i]In the Pale Moonlight[/i] wrote:"I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover up the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning part of it all is... I think I can live with it."
DS9 is still my favourite ST series and here's one of the reasons. The Captain isn't some clean-cut good guy. In the Pale Moonlight is one of my favourite tv episodes on any series and this quote sums it up nicely.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Damnit i meant to hit preview!
Can a mod please fix the tags and amend all the times i've spelt "pale" as "plae" (don't know why i'm doing that.)

The gods have answered your simple prayer...now deposit either your first born or fifty cents for the next request.~GR
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Erik Lensherr, a.k.a. Magneto wrote: "We're the future, Charles. Not them. They no longer matter."
I just love the way Ian McKellen puts that line at the beginning of X-Men...[/quote]
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Damn my sleep-deprived mind, could a benevolent mod please fix the quotes? :)

I am not benevolent...I am....ummm...what's that word...ruthless!!!~GR

Malovent more like it, stop helping them and start oppresing them!-Bean
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Susan Ivanova wrote:"Who am I? I'm Susan Ivanova. Commander. Daughter of Andre and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you're ever going to see. God sent me."
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire