BattleTech (just pure BattleTech)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

BattleTech (just pure BattleTech)

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Discuss!
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

Most detailed Sci-Fi universe ever!!! Hands down , better than Trek , better than Star Wars(don't lash me , I'm a hardcore Techead:-)) Compelling stories and a fun combat universe. Its one of my favorites to say the least , it might help that I have nearly a Regiment of Innersphere Mechs (The 35th Crimson Hussars, sworn to the Federated Suns and Prince Victor Steiner-Davion) and well over a binary worth of Clan Mechs, (Jade Falcon's , Adians Vengance).
BotM
MagicHateBall
Youngling

Post by MagicHateBall »

Atlases Own.
I think that's all the discussion needed. :D
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world." -- Mary Shafer
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I prefer the jade falcons myself, have a star of heavies and am about to fight for bloodname and the trinary. . .

my inner sphere units, unfortunately, have a tendency to die very quickly. damn pumas.
Darik Sdair
Youngling

Post by Darik Sdair »

BattleTech is definitely a rare gem in the sci-fi landscape; its one of the very few settings that started with a game product to blossom into a detailed and rich literary line, and its also one of the more "realistic" universes.

Odd, now that I think of it, since it manages to have giant robots as the main military machine.
Banzai!
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

one of these days, I'm going to build a battallion of tanks, light tracked with gauss rifles, and see how they go against a comparable price of mechs. it's my personal thought that tanks are better then mechs, not least cuz their cheaper and crews take less time to train.
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Unless you are playing level 3 rules, the tanks are toast. Load up a bunch of light mechs with inferno missiles and you get one shot, one kill.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

inferno missiles? what expansion did I miss now?
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Graeme Dice wrote:Unless you are playing level 3 rules, the tanks are toast. Load up a bunch of light mechs with inferno missiles and you get one shot, one kill.
Better yet, use Swarms. They are specifically used against soft-skinned vehicles.
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

Graeme Dice wrote:Unless you are playing level 3 rules, the tanks are toast. Load up a bunch of light mechs with inferno missiles and you get one shot, one kill.
Bring it on fanboy!

I'll take you on even tonnage with tanks any day of the week. I can't even design a munchie enough mech to handle my tanks..... and even if we limite it to stock mechs and vehicles, you'll loose.

(yes, I *HAVE* raped mechs with vehicles more then once).

As for the Btech universe in general... just remember, real men don't need level 2 tech.
There is no problem to dificult for a signifigantly large enough quantity of C-4 to handle.
If you're leaving scorch marks, you aren't using a big enough gun.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Oh no, run! He's going to unleash THE HORDE!!!!!!!!! :shock:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

I have to agree with Lord Chaos... tanks can be a real pain in BattleTech...

I played a tank-vs-mech duell against a tank player a few days ago and he knew how to play his tank. Tanks might be a little bit more fragile ( get more criticals ), but they have lots of armor, their ballistic weapons don't produce heat and they have no problems with gyros !
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

LordChaos wrote: Bring it on fanboy!

I'll take you on even tonnage with tanks any day of the week. I can't even design a munchie enough mech to handle my tanks..... and even if we limite it to stock mechs and vehicles, you'll loose.

(yes, I *HAVE* raped mechs with vehicles more then once).

As for the Btech universe in general... just remember, real men don't need level 2 tech.
Does megamek have vehicles and level two tech modelled correctly yet? If so, then we should organize a duel. I'll take an even tonnage battle with fully customized mechs.
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

The Demolisher and Alacron are killer tanks.

LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

Graeme Dice wrote:
Does megamek have vehicles and level two tech modelled correctly yet? If so, then we should organize a duel. I'll take an even tonnage battle with fully customized mechs.
Unfortunaly, no. Megamek doesn't have vehicle support yet. when it does, I'll take you on. And I can insure that I'll win. I've raped clan mechs before with stock vehicles at even tonage, I'm sure I can handle any custom you have with my modified vehicles.

:D
There is no problem to dificult for a signifigantly large enough quantity of C-4 to handle.
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

LordChaos wrote:
Graeme Dice wrote:
Unfortunaly, no. Megamek doesn't have vehicle support yet. when it does, I'll take you on. And I can insure that I'll win. I've raped clan mechs before with stock vehicles at even tonage, I'm sure I can handle any custom you have with my modified vehicles.

Custom IS or clan?
LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

Graeme Dice wrote:
LordChaos wrote:
Graeme Dice wrote:

Custom IS or clan?
My vehicles? custom IS. I don't use clan. Hell, I try my hardest not to even belive in the existance of clan, though there are some nasty clan munch designs possible.

(I'll give you a clues... think savanamaster from hell. and that's only a glimps at the capabilites. You may be able to destroy vehicles easy, but Steve wasn't kidding when he said "Horde".)
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

My vehicles? custom IS. I don't use clan. Hell, I try my hardest not to even belive in the existance of clan, though there are some nasty clan munch designs possible.

(I'll give you a clues... think savanamaster from hell. and that's only a glimps at the capabilites. You may be able to destroy vehicles easy, but Steve wasn't kidding when he said "Horde".)
I guess I'll need lots of infernos, mines, and a horde of Jenner variants.
LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

Graeme Dice wrote:

I guess I'll need lots of infernos, mines, and a horde of Jenner variants.
Jenners will die real fast.

You can't kill my vehicles fast enough. I know. I've used the tactic successfully before. Things the ludicrious with large amounts of light vehicles.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

RUN! IT'S THE HORDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

OMG, I can't stop laughing at the thought of the poor bastard who goes up against.... THE HORDE!
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

At LC's request, I shall now refer to his evil forces as The Swarm. :)
LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

Steve wrote:At LC's request, I shall now refer to his evil forces as The Swarm. :)
They aren't evil... just a morally malladjusted. :D
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

[quote]
/[quote]

Just for the hell of it, I made up my OWN BTech faction, called the New Star Republic (yes I know rip-off central but it's only a provisionarly title. It's supposed to be the NR of BTech anyway). The premise is that just before the 1st Succession War, a colony ship somehow got stranded in another galaxy with completely intact Star Leauge tech. Throw in a super powerful enemy to keep up the incentive of conintuing military buildup and research and you have a faction whose tech edges out even the Clan (even if it isn't by much). I've made a few Mechs so far, mostly just reworkings of Star Leauge mechs, but a fair number of tanks and a hellavalotta aerospace too!