One Sovereign class starship in orbit around modern Earth

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Sarevok
The Fearless One

One Sovereign class starship in orbit around modern Earth

Post by Sarevok »

While undergoing autopilot tests a fully operational but unmanned Sovereign dissappears into a time portal and arrives in low orbit around present day Earth. The Sovereign's internal security systems are shutdown and wont consider intruders as threats. Now what happens - what could we learn from this advanced 24th century starship ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Nothing, The US and the Chinese send up a Salvo of ICBMs against it and turns it into an ring of dust and gas around of Earth.

KABOOM!!!
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Re: One Sovereign class starship in orbit around modern Eart

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Better question, what happens if one Sovereign class Starship appears around modern Earth....with the population of SD.net on board, the Mods having computer access privalges for primary systems and Wong having superuser privalges?

And say the holodecks were shut down so no holosex :P

What the hell would we do? COuld we even agree?
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Zor wrote:Nothing, The US and the Chinese send up a Salvo of ICBMs against it and turns it into an ring of dust and gas around of Earth.

KABOOM!!!
Ignoring the compete scientific stupidity in this, why would we launch a massive first strike against a ship from Star Trek appearing in orbit of our planet?
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Chris OFarrell wrote:
Zor wrote:Nothing, The US and the Chinese send up a Salvo of ICBMs against it and turns it into an ring of dust and gas around of Earth.

KABOOM!!!
Ignoring the compete scientific stupidity in this, why would we launch a massive first strike against a ship from Star Trek appearing in orbit of our planet?
K, Men in Black wrote:A Person is Smart, People are Dumb, Stupid Panicky Creatures and you know it!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Zor wrote:
Chris OFarrell wrote:

KABOOM!!!
K, Men in Black wrote:A Person is Smart, People are Dumb, Stupid Panicky Creatures and you know it!
Quit being stupid.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Re: One Sovereign class starship in orbit around modern Eart

Post by Kuja »

Chris OFarrell wrote:What the hell would we do? COuld we even agree?
I doubt it. We'd tear the ship apart sooner or later. And given enough time, the fighting's going to reach the warp core...

...and we all die aboard a Star Trek ship. GAH!
JADAFETWA
Mikk
Youngling

Post by Mikk »

What a horrible way to die... probbly going to fire some torpedoes and phaser discharges down on the audience in the process too.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

If Galaxy Quest teached me one thing:

We send the TNG actors to board the Soevereign. After a bit trial & error they get the ship on the move and we can finally see what Pluto looks like
Jordie
Padawan Learner

Post by Jordie »

Chris OFarrel wrote:Better question, what happens if one Sovereign class Starship appears around modern Earth....with the population of SD.net on board, the Mods having computer access privalges for primary systems and Wong having superuser privalges?

And say the holodecks were shut down so no holosex Razz

It's probably be something like this:

Miscellaneous user: What should we do now, capt'n?
Wong: *grins* BDZ
M: But capt'n, we don't have the power!
W: What is it with this piece of shit! Where the fuck's my Star Destroyer!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

We mods have this worked out already. We lock ourselves in engineering and beam the rest of you back home. Then we select who we actually want on the ship. There's a list somewhere. :wink:

There are after all, far more people on the ship than it needs
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Mikk wrote:
What a horrible way to die... probbly going to fire some torpedoes and phaser discharges down on the audience in the process too.
Jordie wrote: It's probably be something like this:

What IS it today with all the newbs running around going 'lOL sT sux0rs!'? Or is it that they are just so stupid ALL they can do is bash ST, thinking that Wong will reward them for their posts or something?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Chris OFarrell wrote:What IS it today with all the newbs running around going 'lOL sT sux0rs!'? Or is it that they are just so stupid ALL they can do is bash ST, thinking that Wong will reward them for their posts or something?
Indeed, this does seem to be their motive.

I swear, I'm gonna start deleting this "OMFG! STARTRUCK CAnT FIND ITS ASS WITH BOHT HANZ LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!shitf+1" stuff on sight if it carries on.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Chris OFarrell wrote:
Jordie wrote: It's probably be something like this:

What IS it today with all the newbs running around going 'lOL sT sux0rs!'? Or is it that they are just so stupid ALL they can do is bash ST, thinking that Wong will reward them for their posts or something?
I wouldn't really call Jordie a newb, he's been here for over a year already. Although, his post could have used a bit more substance and a little less brown nosing...
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

It would be hard to hide something like that from the public (lots of telescopes out there), so my guess is that NASA would get a jump start and the US would send a shuttle up there to investigate the thing. The government would swarm it as soon as they figured out how to get life-support systems online. Then everything would become highly classified, and we would hear little more than rumor about it for many years.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

NecronLord wrote:We mods have this worked out already. We lock ourselves in engineering and beam the rest of you back home. Then we select who we actually want on the ship. There's a list somewhere. :wink:

There are after all, far more people on the ship than it needs
I am on the list right?

That being asked, I think we would take over... There really isnt anything the US or any other country can field in order to challenge us...
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Better question, what happens if one Sovereign class Starship appears around modern Earth....with the population of SD.net on board, the Mods having computer access privalges for primary systems and Wong having superuser privalges?

And say the holodecks were shut down so no holosex

This is easy

1, Our Lord and Soveriegn walks Fuzzy threw the Endless Hallways
2, A Cupple of Metric Tonnes of Cola, Chips, Beer, Pretzels, Burgers, and other snacks get replicated within 2 days. Along with at least one order of Hot Earl Grey tea.
3, The Bridge gets AC/DC played in it.
4, It is renamed the USS Star Destroyer
5, Somone sets about digisning a more Ergenomic Phaser Pistol
6, Berman Bragna gets beamed abord, and faces a firing squad.
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Zor wrote:

And say the holodecks were shut down so no holosex

3, The Bridge gets AC/DC played in it.
count me... out :wink:
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

The government would imediately get the technical staff from Paramount to help them in trying to figure out how to get on board. Knowing the fanbase out there some of us might be recruited to work at NASA headquarters to also help support getting teams up and onboard.

Seeing as the US pays the most and has the best equipment that could be built to get us up there, I don't see Europe, Russia, or China getting there first.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Luzifer's right hand
Jedi Master

Post by Luzifer's right hand »

Alyeska wrote:The government would imediately get the technical staff from Paramount to help them in trying to figure out how to get on board. Knowing the fanbase out there some of us might be recruited to work at NASA headquarters to also help support getting teams up and onboard.

Seeing as the US pays the most and has the best equipment that could be built to get us up there, I don't see Europe, Russia, or China getting there first.
Could not the russian and europeans together lunch a Soyuz capsule much faster than anything the USA could send up?
I asked The Lord, "Why hath thou forsaken me?" And He spoke unto me saying, "j00 R n00b 4 3VR", And I was like "stfu -_-;;"
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:That being asked, I think we would take over... There really isnt anything the US or any other country can field in order to challenge us...
With what -- how are you going to get into space in the first place?

The US government will seize that craft at the first opportunity, and from there we can begin to draw conclusions.
Warwolves G2
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Luzifer's right hand wrote:Could not the russian and europeans together lunch a Soyuz capsule much faster than anything the USA could send up?
If thei Russians and Europeans could cooperate long enough to pull that off, then we might see a true shift in the balance of power, consigning the US to a secondary power, assuming the US didn't do something rash as a result.
Warwolves G2
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

jegs2 wrote:With what -- how are you going to get into space in the first place?
He's talking about the post that states that "The members of this board" are already aboard.
Luzifer's right hand
Jedi Master

Post by Luzifer's right hand »

jegs2 wrote:
Luzifer's right hand wrote:Could not the russian and europeans together lunch a Soyuz capsule much faster than anything the USA could send up?
If thei Russians and Europeans could cooperate long enough to pull that off, then we might see a true shift in the balance of power, consigning the US to a secondary power, assuming the US didn't do something rash as a result.
With the space shuttles currently on ice it should be possiple for the russians to launch from Baikonur long before the USA could launch a vehicle.
And I'm sure the EU would give them all the money they need.
I asked The Lord, "Why hath thou forsaken me?" And He spoke unto me saying, "j00 R n00b 4 3VR", And I was like "stfu -_-;;"
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

KABOOM!!!
Oh..... kay. :roll:

That's what, the third time you said something about American and Chinese ICBMs being launched against a target in space? Is that your sexual fantasy or something now? :wtf:

Anyways, whoever gets the Sovie fine-tooth-combs the computer core for any and all data relating to the ship's physics and construction if and only if they can decipher the data. Then all the major powers start making their best rendition of the systems they can...
Image Image