Covenant Vs. Federation

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Covenant Vs. Federation

Post by Mr. B »

If you have played Halo then you know who the Covenat are. If you havent let me tell you about them.
They are a group of aliens who have vowed to wipe out humanity to appease their gods.
They have very large ships with plasma based weapons and shields.

How would their forces fare against the Federation.
I think it would be a pretty even fight but their ground forces would make the difference. The Cvnt have tanks fighters, plenty of good soldiers and are extremely commited.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
OOM94539
Redshirt

Post by OOM94539 »

In ground battle, the convenant would definately win. I'm not sure about space combat since I'm not sure how well Federation Phasers and Torpedos would fare against Covenant shields, and Plasma cannons against Fed Shields. Phasers are energy based (I think), so they should fare better vs. covenant shields.

The Covenant seem to be much better at invasion tactics, seeing as how they managed to sneak in enough troops to take out Reach, completely bypassing the space battle near them. The way I see it, if the Covenant took a planet, even if they retreated from the space battle above, there'd be no way for the Federation to retake the planet, and eventually the Federation would run out of resources.

Also, the covenant have the advantage that their own homeworld and infrastructure location is completely unknown.

Kosh_The_Vorlon
Youngling

Post by Kosh_The_Vorlon »

And even if the Federation wins on the ground, somehow, the Covenant fleet will just burn the planet...

Literally..
There is no God.
But it does not matter.
Man is enough.
Edna St. Vincent Milay, Conversation at Midnight

There will never be a resolution in the evolution vs creationism debate because neither side can conclusively prove that they are right. The creationists can't prove that they're right becuase they're not, and the evolutionists can't prove that they're right because the creationists are too damn stupid to listen.
HemlockGrey
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Kosh_The_Vorlon wrote:And even if the Federation wins on the ground, somehow, the Covenant fleet will just burn the planet...

Literally..
Assuming the fleet isn't destroyed by the UFP starfleet.
MagicHateBall
Youngling

Post by MagicHateBall »

I don't think a naval battle can be accurately predicted due to insufficent data on Covenant ships. They don't exactly give weapons outputs or shield capacities for a Truth and Reconciliation class cruiser in the game.

Of course, if the book clears this up, someone who's read it should probably post...