Dropships

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Dropships

Post by Agent Fisher »

which is more effective, in your opinion

the dropship from Aliens or the Pelican dropship.
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Re: Dropships

Post by Black Admiral »

Agent Fisher wrote:which is more effective, in your opinion

The UD-4(Aliens dropship).

The Pelican's a damn good machine, but the Cheyenne has it outmatched.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Black Admiral wrote:
Agent Fisher wrote:which is more effective, in your opinion

The UD-4(Aliens dropship).

The Pelican's a damn good machine, but the Cheyenne has it outmatched.
how so

remember that the pelicans were designed to carry rockets, missiles, and other muntions.
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Agent Fisher wrote:how so

remember that the pelicans were designed to carry rockets, missiles, and other muntions.
Yeah, but the Cheyenne carries that kind of ordnance as standard; all the Pelican has normally is the 70-mil chin gun.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

That is all we saw the pelican having.

The pilots launched before they could load muntions on to tghe ships.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

What's the bird from?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:What's the bird from?
Halo.
Agent Fisher wrote:That is all we saw the pelican having.

The pilots launched before they could load muntions on to tghe ships.
Yes, but the Cheyenne has its own equivalents loaded as standard; Pelicans don't, which was why the ODSTs on HALO were trying to retrieve the gun and missile pods from the POA.

Hell, some of the Pelicans (Echo-419 for instance) didn't even have their chin guns loaded.

Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Black Admiral wrote:Yes, but the Cheyenne has its own equivalents loaded as standard
because they had prep time to load the weapons. They had seven hours to get ready
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Agent Fisher wrote:because they had prep time to load the weapons. They had seven hours to get ready
Point, although I would've expected at least some of the PoA's Pelicans to have been preflighted at Reach.

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The Cheyenne can also carry tac. nukes, that always helps. Th design also follows that of most gunships today along with the added benefits of the Harrier's engine system (Rolls-Royce Pegasus) and scramjets. I forget the maximum load it can carry though.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

when does it say that they have nukes?
justifier
Rabid Monkey

Post by justifier »

I like the Aliens dropship better for several reasons.

First the UNSMC APC rolls rights out of the ship with a squad of marines already in it. That is the epitomy of a armor lightning strike, because while the Pelicans carry warthogs, they are inferior to UNSMC APCs and the marines have to jump out of the dropship and then into the 'hog.

Better armed, they have missiles and chainguns standard.

They look friggin mean, like A-10s on crack.
KILL BILL and The Punisher coming APRIL 16!
Mr. Sinister
Padawan Learner

Post by Mr. Sinister »

justifier wrote:I like the Aliens dropship better for several reasons.

First the UNSMC APC rolls rights out of the ship with a squad of marines already in it. That is the epitomy of a armor lightning strike, because while the Pelicans carry warthogs, they are inferior to UNSMC APCs and the marines have to jump out of the dropship and then into the 'hog.

Better armed, they have missiles and chainguns standard.

They look friggin mean, like A-10s on crack.
Been a while since I've seen the movie. Anybody got any pics?
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Cheyenne. It's the mother of all gunships. It can fold in its gunpods for a more aerodynamic shape and then open them up and rain some hell. It's entire purpose besides delivering APCs and troops is to support its infantry squad the moment they hit the dirt.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Lets see if I remember right the Cheyenne carries as standard a 30mm gatling gun, two sizes of unguided rockets with a variety of warhead types, AT missiles, and some AA/AR missiles.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

The Pelican has a single gun, perhaps some load out...versus the Cheyenne which has more then enough load out to secure an area.

The Cheyenne takes it easily.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

I think the Aliens drophip is better, since it has a sheer firepower advantage (it had row after row of missiles on the wings), and IIRC it could be controled by remote. To me, that says you might not even need to man it, just kamikaze the thing into your enemy.

Also, i've played Halo, and i do not remember any kind of weaponry seen on the Pelican, or ever seeing it fire on an enemy. Weaposn (large missiles) were seen on the Cheyenne in the movie. Sorry, i as big a Halo fan as the next guy, but what you see is what you get.
Kanye West Saves.

Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Ghost Rider wrote:The Pelican has a single gun, perhaps some load out
70-mil chin gun, optional 40mm cannon and missile/rocket pods.

Jeremy
Jedi Master

Post by Jeremy »

A bit off topic but has anyone played a game called Armorines Project S.W.A.R.M. ? It was a videogame produced for the Nintendo 64 that pitted Earth against an invading alien insect menace that looked similar to the insects from Starship Trooper. In the game there was a drop ship that was fairly awe inspiring, resembling a VTOL A-10, if that makes sense. I was just wondering if anyone here had ever seen it and how they think it would stack up to others?
• Only the dead have seen the end of war.
• "The only really bright side to come out of all this has to be Dino-rides in Hell." ~ Ilya Muromets
constantine
Padawan Learner

Post by constantine »

Black Admiral wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:The Pelican has a single gun, perhaps some load out
70-mil chin gun, optional 40mm cannon and missile/rocket pods.
The Pelican can carry Moray Mines as well. MC also states in 'First Strike' that Pelicans are capable of carrying Shiva nukes too. I believe the missiles used on the Pelican are called Anvil missiles, don't know yield though.

Along with that, Pelicans can be remote-controlled which is a definate advantage.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I'll say Pelican just because they're awesome. But Constantine, apparently the Cheyenne can be remote controlled as well. At least that was mentioned above.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Rogue 9 wrote:I'll say Pelican just because they're awesome. But Constantine, apparently the Cheyenne can be remote controlled as well. At least that was mentioned above.
It was remotely piloted down by Bishop in Aliens :wink:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Crown wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:I'll say Pelican just because they're awesome. But Constantine, apparently the Cheyenne can be remote controlled as well. At least that was mentioned above.
It was remotely piloted down by Bishop in Aliens :wink:
Never seen any of the Alien movies. Wouldn't know.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

Rogue 9 wrote:Never seen any of the Alien movies. Wouldn't know.
Well, go see the two first ones pronto, their great (the others are not so great). I'm quite sure that the local video rental store has them in stock.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Frankly the RC ability of the Cheyenne is a big strike against it. Bishop was able to control the Cheyenne remotely, which overrode the cockpit command inputs (which would, of course, all be zeroed). Consider the implications of this against a technologically savvy enemy.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.