Colonial Mariens Vs. Stormtroopers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Who would win Colonial Marines or Stormtroopers

Colonial Marines
24%
Stormtroopers
76%

Total votes: 38

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: Colonial Mariens Vs. Stormtroopers

Post by wautd »

Lord Jax wrote:What would win the Colonial Marines versus Stormtroopers same number of mariens to stormtroopers lets say 12 marines and 12 stormtroopers.
Well as stated here that range matters a lot (1km range of stormies, short range of marines incinerators)

imo:
outdoor storms >>> marines
indoor storms > marines (altough i give them a little chance 8) )

hollywood movie: marines > storms :)
Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Post by Laird »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Laird wrote:Well another thing to consider is that the standard round for the smart gun/Pulse rifle is a 10mm explosive tip caseless round.(HEAP round.)
Which translates into effectiveness against stormtroopers... how?
Aliens:Colonial Marine Tech manual wrote: The standard marine assault rifle is a over and under combination of a 10mm light automatic rifle and a PN 30mm pump-action grenade launcher (included in Wt.). A digital LED counter on the side informs the operator of the quantity of rounds remaining in the magazine. The M41A is almost jam-proof, self-lubricating, works under water or in vacuum. The "fire control lever" has four settings for secure, single, burst, and full-auto fire. When firing 4-round bursts the first bursts has no recoil modifier and is at +3 for determining the number hits in the group. The battery that powers the gun's motor is good for 10,000 rounds. The butt-stock of the Pulse Rifle can be retracted. It shortens the rifle and lowers the Holdout modifier to -5. Firing the rifle with the butt-stock retracted doubles felt recoil and so the recoil modifiers, too. Use the Guns (Light Automatic) skill.

The M309 10x24mmCR round, standard with the M41A1, is a TL 9 miniaturized shaped-charge round. The second damage statistic (1d-4) is explosive concussion damage inflicted to anyone nearby. Shaped-charge damage is not reduced beyond 1/2D range, but accuracy declines normally.
The M308 10x24mmCR round fires an armor piercing hollow point (p. UTT51) bullet. If damage rolled before any modifications is triple the targets DR, treat it as a hollow-point bullet: subtract twice the DR from damage and multiply the remaining damage by 1.5. Otherwise treat it as an armor-piercing bullet: halve DR, then halve any remaining damage.
"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto
Laird

Post by Laird »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Laird wrote:Well another thing to consider is that the standard round for the smart gun/Pulse rifle is a 10mm explosive tip caseless round.(HEAP round.)
Aliens:Colonial Marine Tech manual wrote: The standard marine assault rifle is a over and under combination of a 10mm light automatic rifle and a PN 30mm pump-action grenade launcher (included in Wt.). A digital LED counter on the side informs the operator of the quantity of rounds remaining in the magazine. The M41A is almost jam-proof, self-lubricating, works under water or in vacuum. The "fire control lever" has four settings for secure, single, burst, and full-auto fire. When firing 4-round bursts the first bursts has no recoil modifier and is at +3 for determining the number hits in the group. The battery that powers the gun's motor is good for 10,000 rounds. The butt-stock of the Pulse Rifle can be retracted. It shortens the rifle and lowers the Holdout modifier to -5. Firing the rifle with the butt-stock retracted doubles felt recoil and so the recoil modifiers, too. Use the Guns (Light Automatic) skill.

The M309 10x24mmCR round, standard with the M41A1, is a TL 9 miniaturized shaped-charge round. The second damage statistic (1d-4) is explosive concussion damage inflicted to anyone nearby. Shaped-charge damage is not reduced beyond 1/2D range, but accuracy declines normally.
The M308 10x24mmCR round fires an armor piercing hollow point (p. UTT51) bullet. If damage rolled before any modifications is triple the targets DR, treat it as a hollow-point bullet: subtract twice the DR from damage and multiply the remaining damage by 1.5. Otherwise treat it as an armor-piercing bullet: halve DR, then halve any remaining damage.
That outta do it.
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

buckshot would have crappy range and gas would be a waste.
simply examples. Other rounds included solid AP slugs and HE grenades, and incendiary devices. I was merely pointing out that they have a wide variety of projectiles available.
Still fired from the hip, placing a hard upper limit on the recoil.
the weapon is balanced by a robotic arm, which both aims the weapon and presumably acts to dampen recoil.

Incinerators are clearly not baths of hot napalm. They appear to be gasoline (or similar)-based flamethrowers.
Regardless, being coated in burning fluid would almost certainly kill a stormtrooper. It would get in between the joints, cooking the stormtrooper alive.
You don't fire crew served weapons while prone. That's because they're on friggin tripods, not butted up against your shoulder
Ridiculous. Mg-42? Crew served weapon, fired while prone. There are thousands of examples of modern MGs which one sets up on a low tripod or bipod.
Not really, no.
Explain.
They'd better be damned quick to recognize chemical agents
We've never seen USCMC troops deployed against armed enemies. It is likely that in a world where chemical weapons are so common that they are issued at the platoon level that countermeasures are radily available.
Their chests are the only areas that are armored, so shrapnel is going to get them regardless.
Their chests and their legs and their head all are armored, only their arms are exposed.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Thirdfain wrote:
the weapon is balanced by a robotic arm, which both aims the weapon and presumably acts to dampen recoil.
When you have a weapon cycling at many hundreds of rounds per minute a recoil absorption system won't make much of any difference to the user. Course, the movie shows no sign of barrel recoil or the mountings moving back closer to the users.

Regardless, being coated in burning fluid would almost certainly kill a stormtrooper. It would get in between the joints, cooking the stormtrooper alive.
Possibly, unless they've got a layer of nomex equivalent in the thing, which could well, be the case. I don't recall the full list of what the armors suppose to ward off.

Ridiculous. Mg-42? Crew served weapon, fired while prone. There are thousands of examples of modern MGs which one sets up on a low tripod or bipod.
You can do that with GPMG's, thus the general purpose bit, but you suffer a major accuracy reduction and inability to lay down sutained automatic fire. Nothing thats even close to being comprabul to an E-WEB could be fired from a bipod however, the thing is roughly the size of a Bushmaster II.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Laird wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:

That outta do it.
No, it doesn't. It tells us alot of qualitative details about how the weapon works, but it doesnt really tell us how powerful it is (muzzle energy of the projectile, the explosive yield of the projectile, etc.) How exactly is the functioning of the rifle supposed to prove that the weapon will be effective against stormtrroopers.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Thirdfain wrote: The explosive element to the bullet is the unknown quantity. We don't know what is used- it's clearly some sort of advanced explosive.
Not a complete unknown. Aside from measuring the results in the movie, its unlikely they developed explosive compounds many orders of magnitude more powerful than what we have today - their firearms don't seem to be substantially more destructive. I bleieve there are also practical limits to how much energy a chemical reaction can generate.
Hmm, here's and idea- The grenades the pulse-rifles fire are quite small (shotgun-shell sized,) and they create some failry spectacular explosions. Anyone have a copy of Aliens, so they could perhaps measure the diameter of the fireballs the grenades produce? Knowing that and the fact that the grenades are about the size of 12-gauge shotgun shells, we could figure out the energy density of the explosive.
That might work.
I'm simply saying that without decent on-screen information about the AP capabilities of the
We can make some reasonable assumptions, however.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The MG-42 heavy machine gun version isn't fired while prone- it's fired from a tripod. I've never seen someone fire a heavy crew served weapon from the prone position- seeing through the iron sights would be ... interesting. What Howedar seems to have had in mind was heavy machine guns and the like, rather than light.

It doesn't really matter anyway. A New Hope gives quite a good account of the weapons the Stormtroopers have at their disposal- E-11 blaster carbines, T-21 light repeating blasters, and DLT-19 heavy blaster rifle. There's also an unidentified additional heavy blaster rifle. The T-21s probably provide the base of fire, the DLT-19s and the other one form the clonetrooper style rifle part.
Their chests and their legs and their head all are armored, only their arms are exposed.
A helmet without any facial protection isn't really armored; besides, only their shins are armored, not all their legs, and the smart gun troops have even less armor than the other types. Shrapnel will basically cripple them or kill them, depending.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Soulman
Padawan Learner

Post by Soulman »

The tech manual says that the Pulse Rifle fires 10 mm x 24 round at a muzzle velocity of 840m/s. The grenade launcher's AP round can penetrate 70mm of steel. The armour only provides limited protection againt rifle rounds.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Soulman wrote:The tech manual says that the Pulse Rifle fires 10 mm x 24 round at a muzzle velocity of 840m/s. The grenade launcher's AP round can penetrate 70mm of steel. The armour only provides limited protection againt rifle rounds.
your average 10 mm round is probably around 10-12 grams (this is for a chemically-propelled projectile weapon though, the pulse rifles seem to be more electromagnetically propelled, so may be much lighther)

For a 10 gram bullet, ,the kinetic energy is roughly 3528 joules and 8.4 kg*m/s worth of momentum (a bit high on the recoil side for most rifles I believe). If it were say, only half that (5 grams.. slightly heavier than a 5.56 mm rifle bullet IIRC) - ~1764 joules, 4.2 kg*m/s worth of momentum (a bit more managable, but still kinda high for a rifle I think.)
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Stormy armor probably capable of repelling the Marine's AP rounds, but then again, maybe not.
So...

A)

armor doesnt stop bullets -> dead/wounded stormie

B) (this would be a bit more difficult i guess)

Say the armor is completely bulletsproof to the marine AP rounds, what would happen to the stormtrooper when he gets a full volley of the pulse rife :?:
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Vympel wrote:The MG-42 heavy machine gun version isn't fired while prone- it's fired from a tripod. I've never seen someone fire a heavy crew served weapon from the prone position- seeing through the iron sights would be ... interesting. What Howedar seems to have had in mind was heavy machine guns and the like, rather than light.
Right. A SAW, for example, is a one-man weapon.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

for the grenade: assuming a shaped-charge for armor penetration (probably the most efficient)

Modern shaped-charges (at least on an anti-tank rocket) release around 2-10 Megajoules (approximately) worth of energy onto a single point and penetrate hundreds of mm worth of armor. This suggests that the grenade (and by extension, the bullets) explosive is probably equal to alot less than half a kilo of explosive.

Basically this is consistent with what I've been estimating, and does not suggest to me in any way some sort of extraordinary "power" or capability on the part of the Colonial Marines (unless there is further evidence to bring forth)
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

wautd wrote:
Stormy armor probably capable of repelling the Marine's AP rounds, but then again, maybe not.
So...

A)

armor doesnt stop bullets -> dead/wounded stormie
Given that we're talking about automatic weapons in the human range (IE no extraorindary recoil), its unlikely that the rounds penetrate (unless they are exceptionally energetic, which must be proven.)
B.) (this would be a bit more difficult i guess)

Say the armor is completely bulletsproof to the marine AP rounds, what would happen to the stormtrooper when he gets a full volley of the pulse rife :?:
The momentum of the multiple impacts would probably knock them around alot and bruise them, but probably not kill them outright.
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Basically this is consistent with what I've been estimating, and does not suggest to me in any way some sort of extraordinary "power" or capability on the part of the Colonial Marines (unless there is further evidence to bring forth)
There's things like the PIG, HIMAT, SADAR, etc. but I don't have my copy of the tech manual handy, so I can't tell you what those can do.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
wautd wrote:
The momentum of the multiple impacts would probably knock them around alot and bruise them, but probably not kill them outright.
enough they pass out?
Laird

Post by Laird »

Black Admiral wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:Basically this is consistent with what I've been estimating, and does not suggest to me in any way some sort of extraordinary "power" or capability on the part of the Colonial Marines (unless there is further evidence to bring forth)
There's things like the PIG, HIMAT, SADAR, etc. but I don't have my copy of the tech manual handy, so I can't tell you what those can do.
Yeah the Plasma infantry gun, Anti armour weapon ment to kill CM tanks in one shot, Don't forget about "Phased particle beam phalanx" "you could fry half a puppy with this thing".
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Laird wrote:Yeah the Plasma infantry gun, Anti armour weapon ment to kill CM tanks in one shot, Don't forget about "Phased particle beam phalanx" "you could fry half a puppy with this thing".
Yeah, that's a bad 'un, but I was talking more infantry weapons.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Laird wrote:Yeah the Plasma infantry gun, Anti armour weapon ment to kill CM tanks in one shot, Don't forget about "Phased particle beam phalanx" "you could fry half a puppy with this thing".
I believe it was "fry half a city..."

Oh, and hyperbole doesn't count for crap, by the way.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

Post by Mutant Headcrab »

You know, I have my copy of the tech manual laying around somewhere around here. Ill see if I can find it and get information for the PIG and what not posted.

While I do like the marines, I really doubt that they'll win this scenario.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

wautd wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:
wautd wrote: enough they pass out?
hello? :)
Is het possible the stormies fall unconsieus after a hit?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

It's been only two fucking hours....wait and maybe he'll reply when he comes onto the board.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

wautd wrote:hello? :)
Yes, it's like a giant sleep ray :roll:

Have you ever passed out from a bruise?
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

wautd wrote:hello? :)
In the recent Star Wars novel "Tatooine Ghost", Han & Leia (wearing stolen Stormtrooper armour) as well as a whole bunch of Stormtroopers battle against Tuskens (with their slugthrowers) and each other. At one point, Han gets hit in the head by one of those slugs and it almost knocks him out. Mind you, these slugs hit hard enough to consistently knock whoever they hit off their feet, but:
Tatooine Ghost, (paperback) pg 381 wrote:He glanced through the opening and found a dozen stormtroopers only ten meters away, still coming despite a hail of Tusken slugs. One fell to a hit through the lens, another with a wound through the throat, but most were simply falling as the projectiles splattered against their armor, then popping back up an instant later.
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Laird

Post by Laird »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
I believe it was "fry half a city..."

Oh, and hyperbole doesn't count for crap, by the way.
BAH! I misquoted my favorie movie I am shamed.

*Hides away in a corner.*