Colonial Mariens Vs. Stormtroopers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Who would win Colonial Marines or Stormtroopers

Colonial Marines
24%
Stormtroopers
76%

Total votes: 38

Soulman
Padawan Learner

Post by Soulman »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Laird wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote: Unless the person firing it has superhuhman strength or can reattach his limbs, I doubt the weapon's recoil is any greater than that of any other kind of projectile weapon.
Does anyone know the limit for the amount of force that can be applied to an impenetrable plate of chest armour before the person wearing it suffers disabling injuries? How are the back and front parts of a Stormies armour held together? If the front plate has a lot of movement it will probably be bad for the Stormie, also would a headshot from a Pulse Rifle be powerful enough to snap the Stormies head back badly enough to kill him?

To bad,it's canon and you can't bitch about the physics.
Fine, what's the canon recoil? Is it flinging humans back at high speeds? If not, then it ain't much more powerful than a conventional gun (It might be on the high end of rifles, say AMR, but the fact a human can fire it still applies an upper limit.) There's no way in hell the weapon can generate enough momentum to breach stormtrooper armor without propelling the soldier holding the gun back. And in terms of enerrgy... that's already been dealt with.
Soulman
Padawan Learner

Post by Soulman »

Sorry, screwed the above post up.

Does anyone know the limit for the amount of force that can be applied to an impenetrable plate of chest armour before the person wearing it suffers disabling injuries? How are the back and front parts of a Stormies armour held together? If the front plate has a lot of movement it will probably be bad for the Stormie, also would a headshot from a Pulse Rifle be powerful enough to snap the Stormies head back badly enough to kill him?
Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Post by Laird »

Darth Wong wrote:
Laird wrote:To bad,it's canon and you can't bitch about the physics.
What precisely is canon about it? We saw the gun in the movie; it obviously didn't have huge recoil, nor did it seem to cause particularly great damage to anything it hit.
This isn't from the movies mike, It is a weapon from Aliens vs predator 2.
"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto
Laird

Post by Laird »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Fine, what's the canon recoil? Is it flinging humans back at high speeds? If not, then it ain't much more powerful than a conventional gun (It might be on the high end of rifles, say AMR, but the fact a human can fire it still applies an upper limit.) There's no way in hell the weapon can generate enough momentum to breach stormtrooper armor without propelling the soldier holding the gun back. And in terms of enerrgy... that's already been dealt with.
Well the in game physics allow it to kill an alien queen with one shot.(There is no visible recoil other then if you aren't crouching you can't hit shit.)
Laird

Post by Laird »

Laird wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:
Well the in game physics allow it to kill an alien queen with one shot.(There is no visible recoil other then if you aren't crouching you can't hit shit.)
Bah I can't stand the lack of an edit button, anyways if it helps at all there is a picture of the said weapon http://www.planetavp.com/images/avp2scr ... ilgun1.jpg
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Laird wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:
Oh, well then. I guess I better fetch my WEG calc's for the armor durability.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Laird wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:
Then unless we're talking a grgeatly augmented human (unlikely, what I recall from Aliens universe) the recoil can't exceed human tolerances. Might mean its about as powerful as an AMR as I said, but how does the Alien Queen prove its powerful? If you hit anything in the right spot, you can kill it in a single shot.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Laird wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:
Then unless we're talking a grgeatly augmented human (unlikely, what I recall from Aliens universe) the recoil can't exceed human tolerances. Might mean its about as powerful as an AMR as I said, but how does the Alien Queen prove its powerful? If you hit anything in the right spot, you can kill it in a single shot.
Pulse rifle rounds bounce off the Queen no matter where you shoot at it. She is invunerable to them....or it at least seemed that way when I was shooting her.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Soulman wrote:Sorry, screwed the above post up.

Offhand, no, but yeah, if you apply enough forcec to the armor its still possible to kill the trooper even if you don't penetrate the armor. (So you could snap his neck or knock them out, for example.)

Offhand, I don't think its very likely that personal weapons have the kind of momentum required to do this, though, unless we're talking some precisely-aimed full auto bursts or one is VERY lucky.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:
Laird wrote: Well the in game physics allow it to kill an alien queen with one shot.(There is no visible recoil other then if you aren't crouching you can't hit shit.)
Pulse rifle rounds bounce off the Queen no matter where you shoot at it. She is invunerable to them....or it at least seemed that way when I was shooting her.
That just makes the pulse rifle substantially weaker than a single railgun round, then (I wouldn't put too much faith in game mechanics though - I don't believe that the bullets could do absolutely NO damage whatsoever, unless we're talking an immense discrepancy in muzzle energy/projectile momentum.)
Shok Teenik
Youngling

bada-bing

Post by Shok Teenik »

[quote="Kamikazie Sith"}Pulse rifle rounds bounce off the Queen no matter where you shoot at it. She is invunerable to them....or it at least seemed that way when I was shooting her.[/quote]

IMHO, this is game mechanics and has nothing to do with canon. the Queen is the "boss" in the games, thus you can't have her getting killed that easily. same thing with the Praetorians; I'd think a smart gun would dispatch them fairly easily, and I seriously doubt you'd be that much worse off with a pulse rifle, aiming for the legs.

now, how does suspension of disbelief work in these matters? I mean, there's the example of the Kick-Ass Minigun(tm) from Predator, used by the Colonial Marines in the first AvP game, and we know from canon it can level a forest and blow it to bits, but it's also shown to be hand-held. we know it should have a huge recoil; we know it doesn't. shouldn't it just be accepted under SoD that it can kick a whole lot of ass, despite the physics disparity?

as for lasers, if the first AvP game has some level of officiality, we know man-portable heavy laser weapons are a possibility. the Xenoborgs have them implanted in their arms, and they can carve up anything the game can throw at them rather quickly. humans get chopped up in seconds.

ooh, not to mention the exosuits from AvP2, armed with a heavy machine gun, a grenade launcher, a laser cannon and a flame thrower. they're not very well armored, though ... but are pretty damn mobile.

and there's also the matter of Combat Synths, who could possibly handle more recoil than your average human and handle with ease weapons that normal grunts couldn't even carry ....
and how about the EMP grenades for the grenade launcher, capable of knocking out shielded Predator tech...? they'll just throw them at the Stormtroopers and their optics will get all messed up and and and ....

... my keyboard is getting sticky.

I'd say with better armor, the Colonial Marines could be quite lethal to the Stormies, and even in their current state, well, plasma weapons, laser sentry guns, SADARs, miniguns and auto-tracking smart guns just can't be wholly useless against the men in white ...

and besides, they're a lot cooler. they swear better, and are mean to each other, and have trimmed muscles. and that is, of course, what really matters in the end.
S H O K 4 0 T E E N I K - the nihilistic fungus of The Void.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:
Laird wrote: Well the in game physics allow it to kill an alien queen with one shot.(There is no visible recoil other then if you aren't crouching you can't hit shit.)
That's impractical from a real-life perspective - there is no way she could be invulnerable to any volume or duration of pulse rifle fire, but go down from a far smaller number of shots from a different weapon - when all such weapons are basically human-equipped personal weapons.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote: Then unless we're talking a grgeatly augmented human (unlikely, what I recall from Aliens universe) the recoil can't exceed human tolerances. Might mean its about as powerful as an AMR as I said, but how does the Alien Queen prove its powerful? If you hit anything in the right spot, you can kill it in a single shot.
That's impractical from a real-life perspective - there is no way she could be invulnerable to any volume or duration of pulse rifle fire, but go down from a far smaller number of shots from a different weapon - when all such weapons are basically human-equipped personal weapons.
Alright, she is invunerable to them in a practical time frame. You'd probably be able to injure her if you could fire at her with an endless number of rounds but the point is you can empty the standarded issued number of magazines into her and she won't be bleeding or injured. Sure, she may have some surface damage to her exoskelton but none that I could.

What weapon brought an alien queen down? If I remember I had to use a couple 30mm grenades to bring her down.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Yet, a single railgun round can (at least according to what Laird said) bring her down, and the recoil of the railgun does not impart any significant (significant in the sense its not flinging the person through the air) momentum to the person firing it.
The Prime Necromancer
Jedi Knight

Re: bada-bing

Post by The Prime Necromancer »

Shok Teenik wrote:now, how does suspension of disbelief work in these matters? I mean, there's the example of the Kick-Ass Minigun(tm) from Predator, used by the Colonial Marines in the first AvP game, and we know from canon it can level a forest and blow it to bits, but it's also shown to be hand-held. we know it should have a huge recoil; we know it doesn't. shouldn't it just be accepted under SoD that it can kick a whole lot of ass, despite the physics disparity?
Yeah, I'd like to know how this is handled too. In the case of Predator, the only thing I can think of is that in the Alien/Predator-verse modern day humanity has discovered inertial dampening technology that they use on their heavy weapons, thus allowing Jesse Ventura to carry and fire a minigun without getting thrown on his ass. And if that's the case, surely far future humanity has access to these same technologies, meaning that pulse rifles and the rest of their weapons could have far greater "real" kickback (and thus deliver far more KE) than we think.
Is it a crime to try and learn the truth? Is it a sin to search for those things which you fear? My purpose in this world is knowledge, and the dissemination of it. And it is I who is to restore the fruits of my labors to the entire world. Wake up! Don’t be afraid of knowledge! Humans who loose the capacity to think become creatures whose existence has no value. Think, you humans who are split into two worlds! Unless you want the gulf between humans to expand into oblivion, YOU MUST THINK! - Schwarzwald
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Yet, a single railgun round can (at least according to what Laird said) bring her down, and the recoil of the railgun does not impart any significant (significant in the sense its not flinging the person through the air) momentum to the person firing it.
Then there is some sort of technology being used that enables a person to use a rail gun. Because it is a rail gun afterall what could they possibily be firing from that thing that wouldn't knock a person on the ground?
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

The word "railgun" is not magic. You could make a railgun with less kick than a .22LR if you wanted to.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:Yet, a single railgun round can (at least according to what Laird said) bring her down, and the recoil of the railgun does not impart any significant (significant in the sense its not flinging the person through the air) momentum to the person firing it.
Then there is some sort of technology being used that enables a person to use a rail gun. Because it is a rail gun afterall what could they possibily be firing from that thing that wouldn't knock a person on the ground?
Uh, right. The only real differencee between a rail gun and a chemical-propellant rifle is the method of acceleration for the projectile. The recoil limits are still going to exist. (They might have an explosive charge inside the railgun round, but I doubt its more powerful than the PIG or their other heavy weapons that have been already discussed, unless there is a reason to believe this sniper rifle is also Anti-Armor.)
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

The Prime Necromancer wrote:Yeah, I'd like to know how this is handled too. In the case of Predator, the only thing I can think of is that in the Alien/Predator-verse modern day humanity has discovered inertial dampening technology that they use on their heavy weapons, thus allowing Jesse Ventura to carry and fire a minigun without getting thrown on his ass. And if that's the case, surely far future humanity has access to these same technologies, meaning that pulse rifles and the rest of their weapons could have far greater "real" kickback (and thus deliver far more KE) than we think.
What makes you think you're not grossly overestimating the bullet velocity and mass? In fact, how did you estimate the bullet velocity and mass at all?
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

i saw aliens (directors cut) yesterday. One marine (Bill Paxton) was talking about them having nukes, particle cannons, missiles and even knives & pointy sticks :D
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Yeah, Hick's line. Thanks for telling us about something the rest of us have known about for nearly 20 years. :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Yeah, Hick's line. Thanks for telling us about something the rest of us have known about for nearly 20 years. :P
Actually Spanky, that was Hudson who said that, or to Quote the movie

"Hudson, sir. He's Hicks."
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Yeah, Hick's line. Thanks for telling us about something the rest of us have known about for nearly 20 years. :P
hey it was the first time i saw the directors cut. And it wasnt Hick who said it. :)

But if Ewoks can kill stormies with pointy sticks than ... :twisted:

Naa... stormies win this if their armor are strong enough 8)
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

KhyronTheBackstabber wrote:
Actually Spanky, that was Hudson who said that, or to Quote the movie

"Hudson, sir. He's Hicks."
Damn it!!

:P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
The Prime Necromancer
Jedi Knight

Post by The Prime Necromancer »

Darth Wong wrote:What makes you think you're not grossly overestimating the bullet velocity and mass? In fact, how did you estimate the bullet velocity and mass at all?
Now why didn't I think of that? Oh wait, because it would require me to do calcs. :P

Seriously though, I unfortunately do not have the movie on hand in order to observe the scene, nor do I have the expertise to figure out what the scene actually tells us about the KE of the projectile, and how it compares to a real minigun. In retrospect, assuming a possible decrease in bullet mass or velocity would be more reasonable than immediately assuming an unknown mechanism that decreases or eliminates recoil. But I'm just crazy that way.

So, the answers to your questions would be "Nothing" and "I didn't," respectively.
Is it a crime to try and learn the truth? Is it a sin to search for those things which you fear? My purpose in this world is knowledge, and the dissemination of it. And it is I who is to restore the fruits of my labors to the entire world. Wake up! Don’t be afraid of knowledge! Humans who loose the capacity to think become creatures whose existence has no value. Think, you humans who are split into two worlds! Unless you want the gulf between humans to expand into oblivion, YOU MUST THINK! - Schwarzwald