Empire discovers Macross/Robotech style missile tech...

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Nephilim_X
Redshirt

Empire discovers Macross/Robotech style missile tech...

Post by Nephilim_X »

What would happen if the Empire managed to discover missile technology similar to what we see in Macross and Robotech?

For those who don't know, this tech allowed for 80 or so missiles to be stored in a 40 foot mech/fighter.

My first guess is that ImpStars get a refit and deal out massive fighter kill rates simply by being in the area, first of all. TIE Fighters could probably hold 4-12 of these missiles on their chassis as it stands...
Kharak is burning...
Antediluvian
Jedi Knight

Re: Empire discovers Macross/Robotech style missile tech...

Post by Antediluvian »

Nephilim_X wrote:What would happen if the Empire managed to discover missile technology similar to what we see in Macross and Robotech?

For those who don't know, this tech allowed for 80 or so missiles to be stored in a 40 foot mech/fighter.

My first guess is that ImpStars get a refit and deal out massive fighter kill rates simply by being in the area, first of all. TIE Fighters could probably hold 4-12 of these missiles on their chassis as it stands...
I would think they would need brand new classes of fighters to be able to use that tech to it's fullest.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Actually, there's a fighter in the EU (TIE Fighter computer game) which may come close to Macross/Robotech missile tech : The Missile Boat (designed by Thrawn/Cygnus Spaceworks). Its standard weaponry consist of 24 advanced concussion missile, and you can set the optional bay to carry another 24, make a total of 48 missiles.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The missile boat is NARSTY... It can Deal with entire wings of rebel fighters without breaking a sweat, and it is as fast as an A-wing, plus hyperdrive...
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
GreenZXZ
Redshirt

Missiles galore

Post by GreenZXZ »

Well, considering that most of Imperial fighters do not have hyperdrive and are directly supported by capital ships, it would make sense to refit them to hold massive number of missiles and rip up all incoming fighters. But the Robotech fighters also fought on a very small theater (Earth and a few other planets). IMHO, they were too dependent on missiles and not dogfighting abilites. But yeah, a TIE fighter holding 4-12 missiles as standard ability will probably demolish all enemies, since the Empire has the industrial capabilities anyway.

But what about Veritech technology? Does the Empire get to have fighters that transform into human-shaped mechs that can go medieval on Alliance ass?
Darik Sdair
Youngling

Post by Darik Sdair »

What would happen if the Empire managed to discover missile technology similar to what we see in Macross and Robotech?

I'm not sure how useful Macross-style HMMs would be in the Star Wars environment - those missiles were very small and carried extremely weak warheads individually; the only real reason that U.N. Spacy deployed them in Macross was because the Zentradi "grunt" 'mechs had basically no armor to speak of, and were susceptable to easy kills - especially in space.

Against shielded and at least marginally armored Rebel Alliance and later New Republic fighters, I don't think HMMs would be very effective. Large racks of full-scale concussion missiles of the sort used on the Missile Boat (as noted in earlier posts) would make a lot more sense and already exist in the EU.
Banzai!
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The Missile Boat already carries that many missiles, and it is said to suffer from "disappointingly poor performance." Actually, in the game, I love the missile boat, but all my friends stick with TIE Defenders even though I mop the floor with them. Oh well...
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Incidentally, the Missile Boat actually carries 40 adv. concussion missiles which it can fire 2 at a time. It can also carry (in addition to those) another 40 adv. concussion missiles, 30 adv. proton torpedoes, or 10 heavy space bombs.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Kosh_The_Vorlon
Youngling

Post by Kosh_The_Vorlon »

Master of Ossus wrote:Incidentally, the Missile Boat actually carries 40 adv. concussion missiles which it can fire 2 at a time. It can also carry (in addition to those) another 40 adv. concussion missiles, 30 adv. proton torpedoes, or 10 heavy space bombs.
How many heavy rockets?
There is no God.
But it does not matter.
Man is enough.
Edna St. Vincent Milay, Conversation at Midnight

There will never be a resolution in the evolution vs creationism debate because neither side can conclusively prove that they are right. The creationists can't prove that they're right becuase they're not, and the evolutionists can't prove that they're right because the creationists are too damn stupid to listen.
HemlockGrey
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Twenty Heavy Rockets, IIRC
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Dissapointingly

Post by NecronLord »

Imagnes what the Imps must have been expecting for it to dissapoing them :shock: !
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth