Boba Fett versus the Predator...

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Which hunter is the superior foe?

Fett gets some new and useful hunting equipment.
58%
Predator mounts Fett's skull in his trophy cabinet.
23%
It's a tie. Both decide to get a drink together and discuss their personal victories.
19%

Total votes: 78

beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:Beyond Hope:
Fett did fail to use his capabilities to the fullest in the ROTJ firefight. I would tend to say that he was emotionally preoccupied and possibly frightened by the appearance of Luke, a saber wielding Jedi in much the same tradition as the one who killed his father. He made a stupid mistake and lost his rifle, but luckily not his life.

He ignored Han and Chewie because Han was completely blind and Chewie was for some reason preoccupied (I can't recall at the moment, he was either still restrained or trying to save Lando). If not for Han's very good luck, Fett probably would have killed Luke and turned to finish the others off.
Personally, I feel that the super-competant EU Fett is a brainbug: fans liked the character, so the EU authors keep inflating his power more and more with every story featuring him (and yes, I have my autographed photo of Jeremy Bulloch and am therefore guilty :oops: .) I would also agree with your assessment of what happened at the Pit of Carkoon: Fett was reacting irrationally to the appearance of a man wielding the weapon which his father was beheaded with. I would still have to say, however, that the act of charging a man armed with a lightsaber is completely insane.

As an aside, the novelization makes Fett look worse: he parries Han's first swing at him with his gauntlet, turns back around to shoot at Luke again, and then Han nails the "on" switch on his rocket pack in the novelization.
Kamakazie Sith wrote:A couple points; That was not Nick Nolte. The blast didn't hit him in the head, and judging from the damage caused to Jesse Venturas character, and the fact that another character from the first movie was actually hit in the head which promptly turned his head into a canoe....
I just watched that scene again, and I'll second this... the Predator's targeting reticle was centered on the UV light on Keyes' shoulder, and the next time we see Keyes there's twisted, blackened metal where the lamp used to be. The burns and lacerations on his face would be the result of the UV lamp exploding and/or the close passage of the shoulder cannon bolt to his face. I would also note that the building's sprinkler system goes off shortly after the Predator's first shot in that sequence.

In the first movie, we have two clear examples of the shoulder cannon causing massive bodily trauma: the shot that amputates Dillon's arm and the aforementioned shot that cores Blaine. The head shot that killed Mac seems a bit more problematic to me: I would think that his head should have burst like a watermelon judging from the other two examples, but when we see his body (and later when we see the skull with the charred hole) the damage doesn't look that severe.

(I have the sneaking suspicion that the Predator also downed the first strike team's helicopter with the shoulder cannon, but the movie doesn't explicitly say so.)
Pablo Sanchez wrote:It's probably not a forcefield as much as it is just being an airtight material and a sealed suit. Possibly the body glove has the ballistic characteristics of kevlar (or better)? Speculation aside... the Predator would probably aim for a center of mass shot anyway.
There's an instance of the Predator shooting off a limb in the first movie: he amputates Dillon's right arm above the elbow with a shot from his shoulder cannon, then closes in to stab him through the chest with his wrist blades. It would also depend on what angle he's shooting at Fett from, since it looks to me like the sides of his torso are unarmored. It's hard to tell from the photos in Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary though.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote: Yet, the same blasters don't do that to unarmored Imperial troops....fascinated the blind eye is.
Well, it's not my fault that I overlooked that fact. I'm not that big an SW fan. Okay? All I know is that SW blasters can blow through walls, have variable settings, can stun people, can give people ignorable wounds in the shoulder and whatnot. The Pred's blasters can blow a guy's torso into bits, it can give Arnie a slight wound when..... ummm.... blocked a bit by Arnie's M16. And the M16's metal is probably not as strong as SW armor. So both have variable yields, with the blaster demonstrating a higher upper limit.

Don't bother engaging in a big debate in me since as I have said, I don't watch the SW movies too much.
Don't mind me I was just giving you a hard time. :)
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Embracer Of Darkness
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Embracer Of Darkness »

Fett got knocked into the sarlacc pit by a blinded smuggler with a stick, enough said.

Fettishists are funny.
harbringer
Padawan Learner

Post by harbringer »

In pred 2 the only thing they mention that is trackable IR was the scent molecules. The uv idea was to coat him with radioactive isotopes of some kind that would phospherece in uv light. I dont think they would by any means automatically kill each other :). Maybe look out luke skywalker ;)
"Depending on who you talk to, a mercenary can be anything from a savior to the scum of the universe. On the Wolf's Dragoons world of Outreach, the Mercenary's Star, we know what a merc really is - a business man." - Wolf's Dragoons, Outreach (Merc World mag. 3056)
mauldooku
Jedi Master

Post by mauldooku »

This has be done before, methinks...
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Badme wrote:This has be done before, methinks...
Yes it has

Only reason not locking is, well Pablo can easily do so :P , and it has not gotten out of hand.

So debate wisely, guys.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

Hmm....

I'm seeing very little mention of the Predator's weapons coming into play, mostly just the shoulder canon being mentioned. For example, the net gun would undoubtably catch Fett and pin him if hit by it(armor would undoubtably protect him, but he's still pinned). The Predator's disc is a very impressive weapon. It can apparently track and hit enemy targets. Anyone got any idea how much penetration power the disc would require to go through 3 slaughtered cows and also cut a human being right in half without slowing down? The Predator didn't throw it with that much power, it appears to be self powered with a homing capability.

The Predator's shoulder canon also has a rapid fire capability, as seen in "The Predator" when he was shooting at Dutch who was trying to hide behind rocks.

Additionally, we should take into account just how frigging tough the Predator is. In "Predator 2", the Predator was hit by nitrogen guns multiple times(including on exposed wounds), shot multiple times in the gut by a shotgun, fell down and through the side of a building, had his arm cut off at the elbo, lost his mask and need for denser atmosphere to breathe, and yet after all this still beat the crap outta of Danny Glover until he surprised the Predator with a quick attack with the stolen disc.

As to the power of blasters versus the shoulder canon... :wtf: ...I never once seen a typical blaster rifle blow a hole through someone's chest or blow someone's arm off.

PS: I own the Predator 2 DVD if anyone has any questions...I don't mind checking it really quick for debating purposes.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Speaking of blasters vs shoulder cannon, i've never seen the blaster shoot multiples of these kinds of blasts in quick succession either:

Note the pred is on the horizontal log, if someone wanted to do scaling...
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Robert Walper wrote: Additionally, we should take into account just how frigging tough the Predator is. In "Predator 2", the Predator was hit by nitrogen guns multiple times(including on exposed wounds), shot multiple times in the gut by a shotgun, fell down and through the side of a building, had his arm cut off at the elbow, lost his mask and need for denser atmosphere to breathe, and yet after all this still beat the crap outta of Danny Glover until he surprised the Predator with a quick attack with the stolen disc.
Minor nitpick but i thought he got through the wrist pad as Glover's character wanted to prevent the self destruct?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

2000AD wrote:
Robert Walper wrote: Additionally, we should take into account just how frigging tough the Predator is. In "Predator 2", the Predator was hit by nitrogen guns multiple times(including on exposed wounds), shot multiple times in the gut by a shotgun, fell down and through the side of a building, had his arm cut off at the elbow, lost his mask and need for denser atmosphere to breathe, and yet after all this still beat the crap outta of Danny Glover until he surprised the Predator with a quick attack with the stolen disc.
Minor nitpick but i thought he got through the wrist pad as Glover's character wanted to prevent the self destruct?
Reviewing the scenes, it's just below the elbo. The wrist pad extends across the entire forearm BTW.
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Rye wrote:Speaking of blasters vs shoulder cannon, i've never seen the blaster shoot multiples of these kinds of blasts in quick succession either:

*snip*

Note the pred is on the horizontal log, if someone wanted to do scaling...
Nice image...my guess is a hit, or even proximity blast of that magnitude would rattle Fett around quite nicely. Perhaps even knock him out.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Re: Boba Fett versus the Predator...

Post by YT300000 »

Robert Walper wrote:Well, presumably you know who these characters are:

-Boba Fett with his typical armament(armor, jetpack, blasters, wristwire, etc).
Lets take a moment and list what weaponry Fett has:

Blas-Tech EE-3 carbine
Kelvarek Consolidated Arms MM9, with either Locris Type 12A homing anti-personel rockets, Type 12Bs which are stun rockets, or Merr-Sonn K26s, which are very powerful explosives. He also has luma rockets, and ion rockets (which would probably take out the Pred's gear)
Czerka ZX flame projector
Fibrecord launcher
knee pad poison dart launcher
DUR-24 wrist laser
Poison-tipped spikes in boots
Treppus-2 vibroknife
Pacnorval Defense Conglomerate SD-77 sonic pistol

Interesting fact: His helmet actually lets him see ranges and movements in 360 degrees
His armour is supposedly tough enough to resist lightsabres, and judging by the many cicular pits, has taken a fair amount of blaster fire.

And yes, that was all from memory.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Post by Laird »

Heres what the low powered shot did.

http://members.shaw.ca/dmz/randomjunkpics/goo.jpg
"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Blaster fire seemed the most intense in A New Hope, especially in the detention scene, you can see smoke and steam, and the actual blaster fire burning(noticable flames) on the unarmoured officer's body.

I think this comes down to who gets the first shot and advantage. Both characters have better abilities in their literature, eg. Predator vs. Magnus Robot fighter, the pred does decent damage on robots(blows them apart etc) in a futuristic earth setting.
Mechwarrior
Youngling

Post by Mechwarrior »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Badme wrote:This has be done before, methinks...
Yes it has

Only reason not locking is, well Pablo can easily do so :P , and it has not gotten out of hand.

So debate wisely, guys.
And here as well http://www.grudge-match.com/History/fett_pred.shtml But in all honesty in the Scenario there Fett would have won by Default. Why because they were not hunting eachother but rather hunting the Engizer Bunny. And Since the EB is Unarmed pred has no interest since there is no sport.

Head on though id say the Pred Wins. Just look at all the Kills the Pred has gotten in the Films Alone then compare to all the Kills Boba Fett got ----- Oh wait a minut i forgot, WHAT KILLS? He Never got ANY in the Films. Even his supposed capture of Han was performed by Vader. (and dont forget he gets 'Killed' on film by a Blinded Han)

As to Bobas Greatness, well lets see
Boba Fett is Equal to the Clone Troopers (he was a clone himself)
Clone Troopers get replaced with Storm Troopers (This suggest that STs may have been better troops than CTs)
and Storm Troopers Get their Buts kicked by EWOKS

so Boba Fett = CloneTrooper <= to Storm Trooper < Ewoks
You'll never get out of this life Alive Image
Mechwarrior
Youngling

Post by Mechwarrior »

Oh and when you take the Expanded Universe into Account (the EU should have left him dead, you'll understand in a minute) In Tales of the Bounty Hunters Jabba presented Leia as a 'gift' for Fett for a night (if you know what i mean) and Fett doesnt even try to touch her, why because he beleives that Sex outsidde of marriage is a sin and guess what, as far as we all know Boba isnt married and that means , get ready for it, -------He still a Freaking VIRGIN

Yes that right, Bud Bundy, and Arnold Rimmer have each had sex more often than Boba Fett.
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

harbringer wrote:In pred 2 the only thing they mention that is trackable IR was the scent molecules. The uv idea was to coat him with radioactive isotopes of some kind that would phospherece in uv light. I dont think they would by any means automatically kill each other :). Maybe look out luke skywalker ;)
The answer is obvious: the Predator sees in infrared, and when he's changing settings on his wrist gauntlet control panel, we can see his arms in the "Pred's eye view."
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

I still say by sheer virtue of coolness factor the Predator skins Fett. But just barely, because Fett is damn cool too. 8)
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

Out of the two environments this is occuring in, I'd say Fett has the advantage in the city and the Predator has the advantage in the jungle. One of Fett's big advantages is mobility: he can use his jetpack to control the range of the battle in an urban environment, and the Predator won't be able to bring his superior strength to bear. I'd assume that Fett would be constrained from using heavy weapons in such an environment since the risk of collateral damage is too high (it is, per the OP, a "densely populated" urban area.) The Predator's best bet in such an area would be to lure Fett into close quarters. In the jungle, I give the Predator the edge: a dense forest canopy would preclude the use of the jetpack, and the area would be teeming with critters which would create a lot of false targets on Fett's motion sensor.

Since no one's brought up Jango Fett yet I'd say he'd give the Predator a much harder time, since IIRC a higher proportion of his body is covered in armor.
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Mechwarrior wrote:Oh and when you take the Expanded Universe into Account (the EU should have left him dead, you'll understand in a minute)
-snip
He still a Freaking VIRGIN

Yes that right, Bud Bundy, and Arnold Rimmer have each had sex more often than Boba Fett.
Hmmm... I guess that explains both his irrational actions in ROTJ and his feat in "No Disintergrations, Please" (a Tales from the New Republic short story, where Fett with the help of Slave 1 on remote takes on "an entire Imperial garrison"... and won). Who else but a really sexually frustrated clone could have so much to vent? :lol:
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

This has been done before, check the archive before you post people.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
Mechwarrior
Youngling

Post by Mechwarrior »

Lord of the Farce wrote:Who else but a really sexually frustrated clone could have so much to vent? :lol:
Thing is that he's not Fustrated, more like hes uninterested. come on he didnt even try to make a move on leia. Actions like that would, to me, that he may possibly be a unich.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Mechwarrior wrote:
Lord of the Farce wrote:Who else but a really sexually frustrated clone could have so much to vent? :lol:
Thing is that he's not Fustrated, more like hes uninterested. come on he didnt even try to make a move on leia. Actions like that would, to me, that he may possibly be a unich.
would you want sloppy seconds from some hutt love slave? no, i think not.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Omega-13
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Post by Omega-13 »

I really don't buy that Fett was so mentally stricken in ROTJ that he made such a big error as to land 3 feet from Luke on the skiff. Instead people make excusses why he might have made such a rediculous blunder, to COINCIDE with Eu, where we should be discussing Canon events, what we know, and not what we THINK we might know about someone who we saw for 3 minutes in each movie. Even Jango Fett was a moron, he jumps right into the heat of battle, and confronts the second most powerful Jedi, like father like son, both idiots.

With those listed weapons he could have turned it into a wreck, killing everyone onboard. It is a pure sign of incompetence, and the EU wanking of him is so absurd that it should be considered over written by Canon events.
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

I'm a useless pile of subhuman racist filth who attacked Darth Wong's heritage and accused him of abusing his wife and children!

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 99#1688299
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

But the EU is canon.