Boba Fett versus the Predator...

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Which hunter is the superior foe?

Fett gets some new and useful hunting equipment.
58%
Predator mounts Fett's skull in his trophy cabinet.
23%
It's a tie. Both decide to get a drink together and discuss their personal victories.
19%

Total votes: 78

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

The personal shield of the prefator probably doesnt do much against blaster fire. However, if Fett cant detect the predator when hes cloacked, the predator got another trophy. If Fett can detect him, its probably a very close win for Fett (or a tie).
Dont know if urban or jungle setting give much difference
Mechwarrior
Youngling

Post by Mechwarrior »

Well if the mind control thing over animals is true that pred has a bigger advantage in the jungle than he would in the city. though in the city pred could use the pigeons all cities seem the have as a distraction.
You'll never get out of this life Alive Image
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

wautd wrote:The personal shield of the prefator probably doesnt do much against blaster fire. However, if Fett cant detect the predator when hes cloacked, the predator got another trophy. If Fett can detect him, its probably a very close win for Fett (or a tie).
Preds don't have personal shields, only cloaking fields and yet they can still be detected by infrared.

@ Mechwarrior: Preds can't mind control animals.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
wautd wrote:The personal shield of the prefator probably doesnt do much against blaster fire. However, if Fett cant detect the predator when hes cloacked, the predator got another trophy. If Fett can detect him, its probably a very close win for Fett (or a tie).
Preds don't have personal shields, only cloaking fields and yet they can still be detected by infrared.

@ Mechwarrior: Preds can't mind control animals.
errr... i think they have. Remember the metro scene in Predator2?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

wautd wrote: errr... i think they have. Remember the metro scene in Predator2?
What metro scene? Umm.... I'm not familiar with the names of each scene.

And if Preds do have shields, then why did a few M16 rounds critically damage its shoulder gun? Why did shotgun blasts wound the creature? And wouldn't it be not "honorable" when you have a shield while the enemy (clueless Jamaican gangsters, Green Berets) lack real protection from your main weapon?

And can this shield withstand blaster bolts which can blow massive holes through futuristic concrete? Can it withstand Boba's wristrockets?
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:

And if Preds do have shields, then why did a few M16 rounds critically damage its shoulder gun? Why did shotgun blasts wound the creature? And wouldn't it be not "honorable" when you have a shield while the enemy (clueless Jamaican gangsters, Green Berets) lack real protection from your main weapon?

And can this shield withstand blaster bolts which can blow massive holes through futuristic concrete? Can it withstand Boba's wristrockets?
Well its been a while since ive seen the 2nd movie but there is a scene where the predator goes after the cops in the metro. If im not mistaken every1 shoots his weapon empty in the predator withouth any effect. I believe the cloaking device was also a personal shield
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

but i also think the shield is only effective against small arms fire. No real problem for a blaster i guess
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

wautd wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:

Well its been a while since ive seen the 2nd movie but there is a scene where the predator goes after the cops in the metro. If im not mistaken every1 shoots his weapon empty in the predator withouth any effect. I believe the cloaking device was also a personal shield
I'm not entirely sure. I reviewed the scene in question(I love my DVD played :lol:) and it almost does looks like the Predator's cloak is deflecting the incoming bullets. We hear what appears to be bullets impacting solid armor, but one might argue that Paxton was simply missing the target and hitting the walls near the Predator, causing the sparks and impact sounds(not too hard to justify giving the cloaking and bad lighting). Strangely though, from the Predator's point of view, it looks like Paxton is aiming right at the Predator.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Robert Walper wrote:
wautd wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote: What metro scene? Umm.... I'm not familiar with the names of each scene.

I'm not entirely sure. I reviewed the scene in question(I love my DVD played :lol:) and it almost does looks like the Predator's cloak is deflecting the incoming bullets. We hear what appears to be bullets impacting solid armor, but one might argue that Paxton was simply missing the target and hitting the walls near the Predator, causing the sparks and impact sounds(not too hard to justify giving the cloaking and bad lighting). Strangely though, from the Predator's point of view, it looks like Paxton is aiming right at the Predator.
That metro is very narrow. Given the number of shots fired i would think at least some are direct hits
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
2000AD wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Hmmm....

Maybe he brushed a twig or branch and then it swung back and hit him.
There's definately some sort of projectile. When paused, the object isn't connected to anything like a branch would be, it's in mid air like it's just been thrown/fired. There's also the sound effect, which although it sounds like the de/cloak effect is definately a Pred effect.
It would also have to be a pretty hefty, or spiky, branch to have caused the amount of blood splatter.
Doesn't neccesarily mean its not a plasma shot. You can't just expect a plasma to remain coherent on its own, so some sort of physical containment vessel would probably be required.
Well it didn't look like all the plasma shots (That's assuming they are plasma) previously seen, which glowed white/blue (The object looked brown but that could be the blurring) and also had a different sound effect. If i can get on one of the PC's in the clusters with a DVD-ROm i'll see if the network DVD player has a working screenshot function so i can post a pic of it.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Post by Laird »

wautd wrote:
Thats called body armour.
"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Laird wrote:
wautd wrote:
Where? The Predator doesn't look that armored to me.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Robert Walper wrote:
Laird wrote:
wautd wrote:
Indeed, he wasnt wearing body armor
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

wautd wrote: Indeed, he wasnt wearing body armor
Er, the pred does have armour, there's his mask, shoulder pads, chest armour, forearm armour, which encloses his wristblades and other equipment. Thigh armour which encloses discs, and knee-downward armour.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Rye wrote:
Er, the pred does have armour, there's his mask, shoulder pads, chest armour, forearm armour, which encloses his wristblades and other equipment. Thigh armour which encloses discs, and knee-downward armour.
While that is true, I think we're talking in the context of chest/stomach body armor, which the Predator obviously doesn't have.

But your point may contribute the solution, since faulty aim, bad lighting and an virtually invisible target could easily result in the Predator being struck several times on his armored sections.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Robert Walper wrote:
Rye wrote:
While that is true, I think we're talking in the context of chest/stomach body armor, which the Predator obviously doesn't have.

But your point may contribute the solution, since faulty aim, bad lighting and an virtually invisible target could easily result in the Predator being struck several times on his armored sections.
so what's there to stop it from being several hits to the centermass and the protected breast plate?

oi, there you go again

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Post by Laird »

wautd wrote:
Robert Walper wrote:
Laird wrote: Thats called body armour.
Indeed, he wasnt wearing body armor
Well according to my spawn Movie maniacs series 6 figure (Based on the predator from predator 2,He does have armour on the chest,calfs,groin,shins and shoulders.

coruse people will argue"The movie is canon",Well so is the figure since it was based on the character from the movie.:)
"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Got the screen shots of Blaine getting hit. I've also got shots of the shots hitting the pred in the subway if anyone wants me to post them for reference, though it looks like all of the gunshots hit his shoulders.

Anyway onto the Blaine issue

1) Blaine turns away from the otter thing, this is one frame before the "object" appears

2) Object can be seen entering in the top right

3) Object is now fully in picture, blood splatter may be starting on or near left shoulder

4) Object is now somewhere, lots of blur, blood splatter has definately started.

5) Object is now completely out fo shot, notice that there is a tear in blaines clothing/strap/thing that indicates something hit him.

Going by the way the blood splatter appears to start before the object hits, and appears to originate in the area of the torn pouch/strap i'm betting that the tear near his shoulder is a fake blood bag exploding, though what it is in suspension of disbelief may need some explaining.
The opbject looks nothing like a plasma shot as shown by the pic below so does anyone have any ideas?

Also if anyone wants to try and do some calcs, here's a pic of Blaines chest after impact of the plasma caster shot:

Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Shit, sorry about the pics but it looked ok in preview, does a mod want to change them or just leave them as is?
Hammerman! Hammer!
Mechwarrior
Youngling

Post by Mechwarrior »

well if you went back a few frames from the ones here you would see that Blains was already bleeding before the splatter. in fact it was comented on during the assault on the gurella base. ("Your Bleeding man. " "I dont got time to bleed") the splash could have just caused the wound suffered in the teams assault to bleed more profusely.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Doesn't really change my initial assumptions (confirms though that what I calculated is probably generous for the wounding due to the size of the wound - it looks somewhat smaller than I assumed.) And I dont think it was a complete vaporization.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Mechwarrior wrote:well if you went back a few frames from the ones here you would see that Blains was already bleeding before the splatter. in fact it was commented on during the assault on the gurella base. ("Your Bleeding man. " "I dont got time to bleed") the splash could have just caused the wound suffered in the teams assault to bleed more profusely.
That was from IIRC a gunshot wound that is on his left arm, in fact you can see the bandage on the pic of him just about to get his chest excavated.
So unless blood spurted out of that, turned 180 and came back and landed on his neck, chances are this new splatter was from a new wound caused the progectile in pic.
Hammerman! Hammer!
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Predator 2 subway shots:

1) Reference pic as lighting is poor. Notice that there are two types of sparks, white ones coming from the broken lights and green ones from where the bullets impact. the small amount of green sparks in this pic are from the first shot which is in the pic after.

2) First shot, looks to impact around the right shoulder

3) Second shot, looks to impact around the left shoulder

And that's all the pics i could get of shots hitting the pred. All the other shots of Bill paxton's character firing either focused on him, on him in infrared vision, or from the POV of the women cops character a few carriages away.

IIRC the pred has armour on it's shoulders, so chances are the sparks come from the bullets hitting the armour.
Hammerman! Hammer!
Mechwarrior
Youngling

Post by Mechwarrior »

OK this is a little off topic but i just had to share it

http://www.cscentral.com/fun/flash/predator-strike.php
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

That just pwns.