GTVA( freespace 2) vs empire

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

starfury
Jedi Master

GTVA( freespace 2) vs empire

Post by starfury »

how about the GTVA of descent freespace 2 vs the galactic empire, their mainline destoryers are 2 kilometers in length, how would they compare to the ISD I, they also have 150 fighters + bombers.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

If I remeber correctly
They have a huge speed disadvantage compared to the Empire and phyiscal strength is also lacking(Though shields and guns are near equal)

Depends I have not seen nor played Freespace 2 in a few months

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Mr Bean wrote:If I remeber correctly
They have a huge speed disadvantage compared to the Empire and phyiscal strength is also lacking(Though shields and guns are near equal)
I just completed the whole campaign (both endings) yesterday (for the fifth time). So I'll tell you:

Scaling based on the damage points system and the tech room indicate that the main guns of the FS2 capships have damage ratings in the low gigaton range (2-20 GT). This will not be enough against the Empire. Range is never more than 20 km, which is also insufficient.

Their propulsion is also very primitive. "Maximum speed" is invariably under 200 m/s for the fastest fighters on full afterburners. They have fairly good point-to-point abilities with their in-system subspace jumps. Their system-to-system capabilities are barely acceptable, restricting them to a few deadly chokepoints.

Their scale is much smaller, as well. There are no more than fifty systems in the GTVA (according to examination of the sector maps).

Fighters are closer to equal, with both sides having firepower in the low-kiloton range. But the TIEs are so much faster than the FS2 fighters that they'll never have a chance--the TIEs could easily outrun the FS2 missiles.

The GTVA can't possibly win a war against the Empire.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

I don't belive the GTVA has more than a hundred destroyers maybe four times the number of frigates and low numbers of support cruisers.

The Empire will overwhelm GTVA with numbers and firepower.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Uhh the only cap ship in freespace with shields is the lucifer and nothing can even scratch it because of them.

First round knockout for the empire methinks.
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Even in Freesapce 2 one alien capital ship with four main guns easily blew through whole fleets of smaller ships and, even wounded badly, nearly destroyed the Biggest, Baddest, Newest GTVA warship.

In response to Crazy-Vasey, by Freespace 2, all Capshipa had shields, I believe.

WHile I don't know about the specs, but I have never sen any battles comprising more than 16 fighters per side. The size of the ships indicate you should have more room available, but even so, it seems there are very smal engagments.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Kosh_The_Vorlon
Youngling

Post by Kosh_The_Vorlon »

Smiling Bandit wrote:Even in Freesapce 2 one alien capital ship with four main guns easily blew through whole fleets of smaller ships and, even wounded badly, nearly destroyed the Biggest, Baddest, Newest GTVA warship.

In response to Crazy-Vasey, by Freespace 2, all Capshipa had shields, I believe.

WHile I don't know about the specs, but I have never sen any battles comprising more than 16 fighters per side. The size of the ships indicate you should have more room available, but even so, it seems there are very smal engagments.
1. When I played, the Colossus had 100% hull integrity when High Noon ended..The damage was from them overfiring their guns to blow massive chunks of the Sathanas's hull out. Plus, the Sathanas dwarfed everything the GTVA had, and was capable of blowing one of their cruisers apart in a single volley from its main guns. It'd be like an SSD attacking a bunch of corvettes.

2. Nope, only the Lucifer had shields, and nothing we ever saw could harm it. It's entirely possible that even the Death Star couldn't hurt the thing.

3. Did you miss the part in the Colossus's movie when it talks about "60 fighter and bomber wings are housed within its vast hangar"? In FS2, a wing is four ships, so 60 wings equals 240 fighters and bombers. The first few times you see the Colossus fight, it's pretty much brand new and doesn't have a full loadout of fighters. During 'Their Finest Hour', the hanger had been blown to bits. Plus, watch the FS2 into movie: that's a lot more than just sixteen fighters..

Oh, and in response to the speed thing: once again, watch the cinemas. The ships move much faster there. They're so slow in-game so that you can actually see and hit your targets.
There is no God.
But it does not matter.
Man is enough.
Edna St. Vincent Milay, Conversation at Midnight

There will never be a resolution in the evolution vs creationism debate because neither side can conclusively prove that they are right. The creationists can't prove that they're right becuase they're not, and the evolutionists can't prove that they're right because the creationists are too damn stupid to listen.
HemlockGrey
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

2. Nope, only the Lucifer had shields, and nothing we ever saw could harm it. It's entirely possible that even the Death Star couldn't hurt the thing.
That's good logic there. It couldn't be damaged by a faction who haven't yet discovered shields even and are obviously not even close to Imperial technology levels so it could be invulnerable to a death star blast.

I think not.

It's obvious that the DS masses more firepower from its main gun than any ship in the GTVA or shivan fleets can even come close to. The lucifer took what a day to render the Vasudan homeworld inhabitable? The lucifer can do what any ISD can do and I'd be very suprised if it took an ISD as long to do it.
MagicHateBall
Youngling

Post by MagicHateBall »

Oh, of course the Death Star can't hurt the Lucifer. It's marked as invincible in FRED (the FS level editor). :lol:

But seriously, the Empire's advantage in speed, numbers, and firepower, would, unfortunatly, make the GTVA easy work for them.
Kosh_The_Vorlon
Youngling

Post by Kosh_The_Vorlon »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:

That's good logic there. It couldn't be damaged by a faction who haven't yet discovered shields even and are obviously not even close to Imperial technology levels so it could be invulnerable to a death star blast.

I think not.

It's obvious that the DS masses more firepower from its main gun than any ship in the GTVA or shivan fleets can even come close to. The lucifer took what a day to render the Vasudan homeworld inhabitable? The lucifer can do what any ISD can do and I'd be very suprised if it took an ISD as long to do it.
Nobody has ever figured out why those shields work, but certainly isn't like the shields on the fighters. No matter how much firepower the GTVA hit them with, they never even managed to get the shields to react except by doing whatever they do to nullify the damage. Plus, they never opaqued when shot like fighter shielding. One theory is that the shields simply divert the shots into subspace, which would mean that the Death Star couldn't kill it. All we know is that nothing the GTVA did even caused them to weaken or fluctuate in the slightest, and that they don't behave like normal FS shields.

So, we can make no calculations on how much damage they can take..You'll notice that I said that it's "entirely possible" that the DS couldn't hurt it. It didn't say that it was definite. We just don't know!
There is no God.
But it does not matter.
Man is enough.
Edna St. Vincent Milay, Conversation at Midnight

There will never be a resolution in the evolution vs creationism debate because neither side can conclusively prove that they are right. The creationists can't prove that they're right becuase they're not, and the evolutionists can't prove that they're right because the creationists are too damn stupid to listen.
HemlockGrey
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Whatever it is I'd bet money the death star would overload it and overload it bad. If not a full power blast from the main gun then a few thousand turbolaser hits from the normal weaponry, it's not like the lucifer is going to be able to evade being the length of an ISD and probably not far off in mass if not equal.
starfury
Jedi Master

lucifer is larger then star destoryer

Post by starfury »

I belive the lucifer is considerablely larger then a ISD, as normal terran?shivan/vasudan destoryers are almost as large as allegiance star destoryers
2.2 KM VS 2.0 KM for the GTVA and shivan forces.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

It's been a while since I played it but in the game databank thingy it was 1.6kn long to my memory.
Antediluvian
Jedi Knight

Post by Antediluvian »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:It's been a while since I played it but in the game databank thingy it was 1.6kn long to my memory.
If you're talking about the Lucifer, it's 2719.2 meters.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Hmm well I'm sure it said 1.6km in the databank but then again the version I played was a leaked beta that was still called descent:freespace (don't freak out on me please I was only about 13 at the time and I forked out for the sequel) so they might have changed it for the final draft.