VGA Planets 4

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

VGA Planets 4

Post by Sam Or I »

How many of you have heard of it? Its the closest 4 X game I could find that would pit the Federation against the Empire. Of course everything is balanced out. I personally love the game, on the surface it looks like any other 4X game, but there are so many special rules for each race, making every race very unique. Its still in Beta, but all of the Original races have been released. Heres a quick breakdown of all the races:

Solar Federation: (The ST Feds) Cheap Ships, good growthrate, sucks in ground combat, fairly good income. The wimps of the game. Primarly uses warpdrive

Lizards: (The ST Gorn) Heavily armored ships, great troop Ground Combat, Primarly uses warpdrive

The Birdmen: (ST Romulans): Good at spying, many cloaking ships. Primarly uses warpdrive.

The Stomers: (ST Klingons): Lightly armored, highly accurate ships, some cloakers, and "glory device" ships. Primarly uses warpdrive.

Privateers: (ST Orion) Fast Light ships. Good at stealing other ships, and stealing counterbands. Primarly uses warpdrive, has one native Hyperdrive ship.

The Cyborg: (The Borg) Assimilates life, has huge cubes, can warp chunnel.Primarly uses warpdrive, has one native Hyperdrive ship. Feared by most.

The Crystals: (ST Tholians):Primary weapons are web mines. Lives off planetary Delta stress. Very defensive race. Cheap Fighters. Primarly uses warpdrive, has one native Hyperdrive ship.

The Evil Empire: (Guess?) Best High Guard in the Galaxy. Good at spying, has most powerful ship in the galaxy the Super Gorbie (aka the Death Star). Expensive high quality ships. Fairly slow growth rate. Cheap fighters, self replicating droid armies. Primarly uses Hyperdrive. Yes you can destroy planets.

The Robots: (BSG Cylons) Good at laying mines, slow heavily armored ships. Good with Insects Natives. Cheap fighters. Primarly uses warpdrive

The Rebels: (SW Rebel Alliance) Great fighters, mostly cheap capitol ships. 2nd best highguard in the game. Primarly uses Hyperdrive.

The Colonies: (BSG good guys) Great fighters. Slow capitol ships. Great at running mine fields. Very planet independent. Primarly uses warpdrive.

Plus 8 other 3rd party races, Which include the Scavengers (SW Jawas), the UEA (Humans in Star Ship Troopers), Solarians an original race with one of the deadliest weapons in the game, and The Centaurs a race which prefers to run than fight. Plus a few more.

I am always looking for new players to defeat. Its a shareware game PBEM game, if you want to check it out at:
[/url]http://www.vgaplanets.com/v4beta.htm

I find it quite fun, but its no for everyone.
LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

I still play the old version (3.something). Been playing it for years (literaly... we are talking originaly started playing it a good 6 years ago).

Check out IRC, EFNet, #VGAPLANETS. It's quite dead often, but livens up occasionaly....
There is no problem to dificult for a signifigantly large enough quantity of C-4 to handle.
If you're leaving scorch marks, you aren't using a big enough gun.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Looks decent but its no Allance(The true game I've always wanted a SW VS ST Game where the Craft are Flyable :D)
And fully Rendered to detail ISDNS!

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Looks nice... I can't play it, though, because I dunno where I would go for a n00b game to learn the ropes...
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

SirNitram wrote:Looks nice... I can't play it, though, because I dunno where I would go for a n00b game to learn the ropes...
IRC, EFNet, #vgaplanets, ask
There is no problem to dificult for a signifigantly large enough quantity of C-4 to handle.
If you're leaving scorch marks, you aren't using a big enough gun.
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

if you go to

http://vgap.drewhead.org/

he usually hosts newbie games, for 1st time players called Green Recruits. Just new people are allowed