Best Occultation Technology

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Best Occultation Technology

Post by WhiteLion »

Hi everyone, I was wondering among the various scifi series that you saw what you think is the best concealment technology. They can be seen motle in the various series, but many are so to speak "discoveries" using more or less fortuitous escamotage. At this point I ask you which are the most noteworthy?
For my part I would like to mention the Scimitar of the fim Nemesis and the Subspace Submarine of the Yamato 2199 series.

I mention both because the Scimitar is cited to have perfect concealment, and even the crew of the enterprise-E had to resort to more spaceships and an omnidirectional fire to detect it.

I would like to mention the Subspacial Submarine because it literally plunges into subspace and can retreat without emerging. Its only weak point is the periscope which despite being small in size must still re-emerge from subspace.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Best Occultation Technology

Post by Vendetta »

The SEP field. (Hitchhikers)

Anything enclosed by an SEP field becomes, in the mind of the observer, Somebody Else's Problem and so they obstinately refuse to notice that it exists.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

It often comes down to how well the settings sensor technologies can see things. The better the sensors in a setting, the better the cloaking devices.
Vendetta wrote: 2019-09-03 12:55pm The SEP field. (Hitchhikers)

Anything enclosed by an SEP field becomes, in the mind of the observer, Somebody Else's Problem and so they obstinately refuse to notice that it exists.
Only if the thing is strange. If it's too normal, the SEP field doesn't hide it.

SEP fields are also noted for having a rather low power drain.
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

this is a good starting point, it might be optimal then to consider the series with the best sensors, since if a concealment system was developed to deceive advanced sensors it will certainly be very effective.
Do you think the best sensors in which series we find them? Perhaps the most advanced sensors are in Stargate, the ancients possessed both a cloaking technology and sensors capable of locating everything, even ships advancing in galaxies, I remember that Atlantis located Wraith ships when they were weeks away in hyperspace.