Stargate SG-1 crossover question thread (SG1/MGLN)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Formless
Sith Marauder

Stargate SG-1 crossover question thread (SG1/MGLN)

Post by Formless »

So this is inspired by a dead fanfic I found on FF.net that's... pretty unique? Interesting? Yeah, I'll go with interesting. Since its only 3 chapters long and just over 11,000 words a TL;DR almost isn't necessary, but I can do so anyway: just before the System Lords and SG-1 sign their famous peace treaty, SG-1 team finds a bunch of gate addresses that link to a part of the galaxy that even the Gould avoid, and it turns out one of the gate addresses links to Mid-Childa from the Nanoha franchise, which has both more advanced technology than Earth, and, well, magic. Shenanigains ensue... or would have, if the writer hadn't abandoned the idea for some reason.

Now, I know a lot about MGLN (being a weird kind of nerd) and I can say the fic is mostly accurate to that canon, but I don't really know much about SG-1 beyond the events of Fair Game (where the treaty was negotiated). Moreover, most of what I know comes from second hand sources rather than from watching the show, so I don't know what kind of shenanigans ensue. Do they become allies? How would the Stargate program really react to the fact the people of Mid have been visiting Earth in secret for decades? And does it matter when this event happens, since season 3 of Stargate was 1999, and season 1 of MGLN was 2004 (thus placing season 3 in 2014)? I know that in later seasons SG-1 starts delving into psionics related... stuff and it turns out an entire precursor race (the Ancients) actually ascended to a higher plane of existence or some shit like that, so I'm interested in how the Stargate program reacts differently to the existence of "magic" after they learn of the Ancients research into Ascension and alternate realities VS before they learn of it. Also, the Ori. Because... man, of all the Stargate shit I've heard about, the Ori confuse me the most. What was going on with that plot, exactly? I've heard Stargate really shit the bed at some point, and the Ori were the catalyst...

Basically, what I'm saying is, my understanding of Stargate canon is severely deficient, and I felt like a crossover like this was a perfect opportunity to learn more about it. The fic made me think of maybe writing my own such story, though veeeeery different based on my own understanding of the two shows timelines, but first I need to know more about Stargate and I don't feel like watching all ten seasons plus two more Stargate shows on top of that.

Discuss. If anyone needs to ask me questions about MGLN to answer my questions, I can easily answer, though the fanfic above answers most questions without injecting too many fan-theories to fill in gaps in the world-building. (Mostly, we don't actually know what their first contact protocols look like, so the writer made up something plausible from what we do know)

(oh, and yes, I'm cross-posting this thread on Sfdebris.net before anyone asks if its me)
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Stargate SG-1 crossover question thread (SG1/MGLN)

Post by Vendetta »

Formless wrote: 2019-05-31 04:55am How would the Stargate program really react to the fact the people of Mid have been visiting Earth in secret for decades?
Ask them to take a number, the end of the queue is out the door and halfway down the hall. "secretly visiting Earth for decades" (or much much longer) is the galaxy's favourite sport in SG-1.

That said, the idea that a few people on Earth potentially have absolutely devastating energy manipulation abilities would be very very interesting to everyone.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Vendetta wrote: 2019-06-09 10:56amAsk them to take a number, the end of the queue is out the door and halfway down the hall. "secretly visiting Earth for decades" (or much much longer) is the galaxy's favourite sport in SG-1.
I mean, I know that's the basic premise of Stargate, but my understanding is that most of the galactic powers visited centuries ago at least, and in most cases thousands of years ago. But based on when Admiral Graham (who's from England) joined the TSAB, they've been visiting since at least the 1950's. That's much more recently, though again I don't know Stargate well enough to rule out other powers visiting as recently before the Stargate program started. Plus, under the assumptions of this scenario, the TSAB has managed to perform major operations on Earth without the SGC or the NID noticing. Would this be cause for concern, or would it be less surprising because the events of Nanoha happened in Japan rather than the US?
That said, the idea that a few people on Earth potentially have absolutely devastating energy manipulation abilities would be very very interesting to everyone.
So do you think they would put new priority on identifying potential mages and/or researching ascension? Because I don't know how much the Stargate program really knows about the topic, other than the fact Daniel ascended once, with help.

And do you think they would be accepting of mages, or frightened of them? How would SGC even react culturally to a people who use the word "magic" with sincerity to describe what they do?
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Formless wrote: 2019-06-09 03:51pm
Vendetta wrote: 2019-06-09 10:56amAsk them to take a number, the end of the queue is out the door and halfway down the hall. "secretly visiting Earth for decades" (or much much longer) is the galaxy's favourite sport in SG-1.
I mean, I know that's the basic premise of Stargate, but my understanding is that most of the galactic powers visited centuries ago at least, and in most cases thousands of years ago. But based on when Admiral Graham (who's from England) joined the TSAB, they've been visiting since at least the 1950's.
True, but there are other more recent aliens on Earth (one goes native as a tv producer) and by the time anyone figures out where it is it becomes a more popular destination (barring the Asgard telling everyone hands off)

Finding out that space wizards from an alternate dimension are also showing up would only be very briefly surprising.
So do you think they would put new priority on identifying potential mages and/or researching ascension? Because I don't know how much the Stargate program really knows about the topic, other than the fact Daniel ascended once, with help.

And do you think they would be accepting of mages, or frightened of them? How would SGC even react culturally to a people who use the word "magic" with sincerity to describe what they do?
[/quote]

Absolutely. When the potential of a combat mage scales up to man-portable nuclear artillery capable of sustained supersonic flight, every system lord in the galaxy is going to drown themselves in their host’s jizz at the thought of getting their hands on one.

And Earth mages tend towards the higher power levels (all three first generation Earth mages are high powered, Nanoha and Hayate are obvious, but Admiral Graham must also have had some magical heft because sustaining a familiar is supposed to take a lot and he has two).

Calling their abilities magic would raise a sarcastic quip from O’Neill but if it works SG-1 do not look a gift horse in the mouth.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The only thing that's really different in this situation, from Stargate's standpoint anyway, is that here is a new undiscovered source of energy/power besides stuff they already have like naquadah reactors and ZPMs. Stargate's approach towards new discoveries is generally 'put your head in it and see what happens', then they take it to Earth to put in a lab or if it's too dangerous they leave it alone.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.