Do Ferengi Sell Hoo-Mon Snacks?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Do Ferengi Sell Hoo-Mon Snacks?

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Anyone familiar with John Scalzi's CDF/John Perry novels should be familiar with the Rraey, an avian species with advanced Consu tech who like Humans...for breakfast lunch, dinner, and a midnight snack. The Consu, dedicated as they are to uplifting other, worthy races through violent conflict, have given the Rraey an interdimensional portal allowing them access to the Star Trek universe, and the tasty hoo-mons of the Federation.

Would the Ferengi, once they find out about the Rraey, set up human trafficking networks just so the Rraey can have a nutritious part of a balanced breakfast?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Do Ferengi Sell Hoo-Mon Snacks?

Post by TheFeniX »

As of the end of DS9, the Ferrengi have a fairly friendly relationship with the Federation. With the Dominion defeated, they have access to make profit on relief efforts and trade deals across an entire new quadrant they had barely touched before-hand. Not to mention just setting themselves up as "middle-men" for the renewed (and likely more friendly) Fed/Klink Alliance and all the Dominion subjects. It's unlikely there would be any official attempt to traffic humans for meat due to potential loss of profit and a combined Federation/Klingon war against the Ferrengi. I say the Klingons as well due to Martok and Worf basically running the Empire at the end of DS9.

That said, ALSO at the end of DS9: fucking Rom was in charge of Ferrenginar, so "no."

Pre-DS9 turning Ferrengi into cowardly Wall Street Bankers? Fuck yea. The only thing possibly stopping them is that, for some reason, human(looking) females seem to rub Ferrengi males in the right places. But I STILL don't think that's enough to stop them as they are essentially the Druuge from Star Control 2 (they burn people, any people, in furnaces to power their technology in the pursuit of profits).

However, "Selling humans for meat" might have been enough to push even the TNG pacifist Federation into a full scale war with the Ferrengi.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Even if the entire Ferengi government is made up of frictionless spherical masses of pure economic self-interest, I'm pretty sure they're smart enough to realise that the Federation would be very unhappy about their citizens being sold as livestock, and that their retaliation would be exceptionally bad for business. A few private individuals who are already in trafficking business might embrace the new market, but definitely not with any sort of official sanction.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

It's still morally repulsive but could the Ferengi sell transporter technology as well as the data to make them spit out humans and basically give them an instant human cloning machine?
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

If it were that easy, they could just use vatgrown body parts.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The novels don't go into why the Rraey don't do just that.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Yeah, even in season 1 TNG, Picard got rather incensed when the children of the Enterprise were kidnapped. I imagine he'd be wanting to punish the Ferengi severely for their selling of people as livestock.

It also makes a certain amount of sense for his line about the people at Farpoint being found delicious by the Ferengi.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Considering in DS9 they were growing adult clones in a matter of days, why bother?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.